Sex Education

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
When do you think schools should start to tell students about what sex is? Or if they should do so at all.

Please respond with your thoughts on this topic.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me, this is a parental issue. Kids are at different ages when they hit the maturity level necessary to understand the topic, and no system is going to account for this.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think the problem with leaving it up to parents is that they never get around to it. parents are unreliable - at least the school system is a consistent source of information. and now with the internet, we really need to be talking with our kids about sex earlier.

i am noticing a real disconnect between people who advocate for less government and have a negative view of human nature.........these views seem like they should oppose each other

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think the problem with leaving it up to parents is that they never get around to it. parents are unreliable - at least the school system is a consistent source of information. and now with the internet, we really need to be talking with our kids about sex earlier.
The question becomes, then, is the school system to teach morality? If so, then whose morality does it teach? I'm not convinced that this question is so flippantly answered as some will inevitably defer to technocracy and statistics, of course.

In addition to the primary question above, what's to say that pressing the teaching earlier does not activate the inevitable curiosity of an immature child to go to the internet or worse (actually carry through)?

i am noticing a real disconnect between people who advocate for less government and have a negative view of human nature.........these views seem like they should oppose each other

No, my friend, our synapses just begin to fire when we know those same human natures gain more and more power to make compel decisions. We are already in slavery to sexuality, do we want to go deeper by beginning this earlier and earlier?

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
HammerStone said:
The question becomes, then, is the school system to teach morality? If so, then whose morality does it teach? I'm not convinced that this question is so flippantly answered as some will inevitably defer to technocracy and statistics, of course.

I'm talking about the biological action and reason for sex, how it works and how babies are created. The health side of it is also important. So I don't think that morals have anything to do with this

In addition to the primary question above, what's to say that pressing the teaching earlier does not activate the inevitable curiosity of an immature child to go to the internet or worse (actually carry through)?

Children are already on the internet looking up stuff, children already know. I remember looking back in elementary school (either 4th or 5th grade) when a kid said he was going to rape some other one. It was meant as a joke, and a lot of students laughed. I didn't know what it meant at the time, but other kids knew. I heard about it all the time in the halls, classrooms etc in middle school, and even more frequently in high school. But, children and teens don't always know what are possible health hazards to sex or myths about sex itself.

And I don't think it's right to call a child immature because they look up what sex is, if a child hears about something they don't know about it's only natural to see what all the fuss is about.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yeah, i am also referring to the mechanics of sex, not the moality.
yeah, i am also referring to the mechanics of sex, not the moality.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm talking about the biological action and reason for sex, how it works and how babies are created. The health side of it is also important. So I don't think that morals have anything to do with this
Then you're thinking of a technocratic way of determining an age that is acceptable to teach this information, so it's perhaps best to Google that and see what the expert consensus would be.

Yes, it's biologically acceptable to be attracted to the opposite sex, but that doesn't mean it's also morally acceptable. This is absolutely a question of morals and ethics because you're potentially teaching a child who is not capable of fully understanding and applying the subject matter when this is pushed upon them too early. The only way it's not acceptable is if you accept (and hold) a technocratic viewpoint.

And I don't think it's right to call a child immature because they look up what sex is, if a child hears about something they don't know about it's only natural to see what all the fuss is about.
Not at all what I said.

It's okay for someone to be immature. My point was that you're potentially delivering information to a child too early, causing them to review and/or act upon the information at an age incapable of handling the knowledge. That's clearly not calling anyone anything.

snr5557

Jan 19, 2014
HammerStone said:
Then you're thinking of a technocratic way of determining an age that is acceptable to teach this information, so it's perhaps best to Google that and see what the expert consensus would be.

Well my classmates and I learned about it in middle school. I'm not saying going to a preschool or elementary school and teaching it.

Yes, it's biologically acceptable to be attracted to the opposite sex, but that doesn't mean it's also morally acceptable. This is absolutely a question of morals and ethics because you're potentially teaching a child who is not capable of fully understanding and applying the subject matter when this is pushed upon them too early. The only way it's not acceptable is if you accept (and hold) a technocratic viewpoint.

So, you're saying that it's not moral to love someone of the opposite sex? How will people procreate, because you know how people make babies right?

I don't see why teaching children what sex is, why it happens, and why it can be dangerous is a bad thing.

Children already know about sex, I've heard stories of middle school children having sex so saying that if they found out they would go out and do it doesn't really apply to this generation. Many already know enough to actually do it, although they may not know the consequences of it. It's not like it's some new thing that's a total secret to people, trust me.

And aren't there statistics that show that in places where there is education about what sex is and the consequences of it have a lower rate of unwanted and/or teen pregnancies? I'll have to look it up, but I'm going between this forum and homework so it'll be slow.

Ransom question, do you have something against a technocracy? I actually had to look it up to see what it was, I don't see how it's bad. People who actually know what they're talking about debating and deciding what would be the most beneficial decision.