Share Your Favorite Christmas Songs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Puritans banned Christmas in Massachusetts because so many people were rowdy, going house to house. . . the way they do in the "Figgy Pudding Song." I guess the British have toned that kind of celebrating down too. Ha, and finally the law got repealed in Massachusetts; but here's a video I found amusing.

Hahaha! That was funny! And, what is "Figgy Pudding anyhow!!! Pudding made of figs??? Well, all I can say to Figgy Pudding is...ew.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hahaha! That was funny! And, what is "Figgy Pudding anyhow!!! Pudding made of figs??? Well, all I can say to Figgy Pudding is...ew.
I wonder if it was traditional because figs and dates could be preserved without refrigeration?
I only saw part of this because our parakeet was very offended by it and started chirping obnoxiously. Just don't know about that bird. I'll have to finish it later in another part of the house. :(
How can you tell if a parakeet if offended or just overly enthusiastic? Maybe it just wanted to sing along? I've read though that birds like parakeets often like classical music and the like so here's something classical. . . I realize Handel's Messiah was originally meant for Easter, but I like it for Christmas too. Here's the "He Shall Feed His Flock" sung by Barbara Bonney.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what figgy pudding is or the role it plays at Christmas, but you better bring it out or all Hell is going to break loose.....

Reactions: Nancy and Giuliano

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder if it was traditional because figs and dates could be preserved without refrigeration?

How can you tell if a parakeet if offended or just overly enthusiastic? Maybe it just wanted to sing along? I've read though that birds like parakeets often like classical music and the like so here's something classical. . . I realize Handel's Messiah was originally meant for Easter, but I like it for Christmas too. Here's the "He Shall Feed His Flock" sung by Barbara Bonney.

Well, I don't pretend to know the mind of my parakeet (Birdie is her name) completely, but every time she hears a man's voice on TV she starts squawking. She showed up on my porch the day before my birthday last year, so I see her as a birthday gift from God. :)

Love Handel's Messiah! (I'll see if Birdie likes it too.) There's an Easter portion and a Christmas portion. Years ago, I got to sing the 2 different portions in 2 separate civic choruses. Of course, both include the Hallelujah Chorus. It was an incredible experience!

She has a beautiful voice! Oh, my, she's singing both the alto and soprano part. Enjoyed it! Thanks for posting it.

Reactions: Pearl and Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I don't pretend to know the mind of my parakeet (Birdie is her name) completely, but every time she hears a man's voice on TV she starts squawking. She showed up on my porch the day before my birthday last year, so I see her as a birthday gift from God. :)

Love Handel's Messiah! (I'll see if Birdie likes it too.) There's an Easter portion and a Christmas portion. Years ago, I got to sing the 2 different portions in 2 separate civic choruses. Of course, both include the Hallelujah Chorus. It was an incredible experience!

She has a beautiful voice! Oh, my, she's singing both the alto and soprano part. Enjoyed it! Thanks for posting it.
I wonder if your parakeet likes men's voices or if a man was cruel to her and it frightens her?

Our school chorus did the Hallelujah Chorus, and I found that very enjoyable. I like that particular aria from of the Messiah since it also reminds me of the shepherds.

Did you know Handel had visions when writing the Messiah? He shut himself up in his room and didn't let anyone in except his servant. She would cook things for him and knock on his door until he let her in; but often she was disappointed when she came back because he'd been writing the music and hadn't eaten anything.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Giuliano @Nancy

When were were still living at home if my brothers and I felt that my mum was taking too long to bring in the Christmas Pudding.

(We'd change the last few words re happy New year...we'd sing "with plenty of beer" :) )
We would bang our spoons on the table and sing:-

We wish you a Merry Christmas,
We wish you a Merry Christmas,
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Good tidings we bring to you and your kin.

Now, bring us some figgy pudding,
Now, bring us some figgy pudding,
Now, bring us some figgy pudding, and bring it out in here!

For we all like figgy pudding,
For we all like figgy pudding,
For we all like figgy pudding, so bring it out here!

And we won't go until we got some,
and we won't go until we got some,
and we won't go until we got some, so bring some out here!

492874995d98e76c391b37dceb5000c3.jpg

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder if your parakeet likes men's voices or if a man was cruel to her and it frightens her?
I wonder if she was abused. We think that someone let her go because we checked all around to see if someone was missing her, and no one claimed her. At first, we didn't want her, but God knew what He was doing in sending her to us. We enjoy her little songs every day! She has so much personality. When she hears a flock of blackbirds, she chirps (not squawks) very loudly. Sometimes she looks at herself in the mirror and does a little dance. lol I've wondered if she thinks her reflection is a male, or something like that.

Did you know Handel had visions when writing the Messiah? He shut himself up in his room and didn't let anyone in except his servant. She would cook things for him and knock on his door until he let her in; but often she was disappointed when she came back because he'd been writing the music and hadn't eaten anything.

I have read about the supernatural nature of Handel's experience. I believe he wrote the entire score in 3-4 weeks. Have you ever seen the score? It's a lot of music! I don't think he could have done it on his own.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's the song that we called "the figgy pudding song. " ... 2nd verse..

Obviously not with- " so bring us some beer" :D
I think the lyrics originally included "a cup of good cheer." People already intoxicated wanted more "cheer" at every house they visited.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder if she was abused. We think that someone let her go because we checked all around to see if someone was missing her, and no one claimed her. At first, we didn't want her, but God knew what He was doing in sending her to us. We enjoy her little songs every day! She has so much personality. When she hears a flock of blackbirds, she chirps (not squawks) very loudly. Sometimes she looks at herself in the mirror and does a little dance. lol I've wondered if she thinks her reflection is a male, or something like that.
It sounds as if someone who didn't like her may have let her out. The mirror thing may mean she thinks she may have a companion?
I have read about the supernatural nature of Handel's experience. I believe he wrote the entire score in 3-4 weeks. Have you ever seen the score? It's a lot of music! I don't think he could have done it on his own.
I haven't seen the whole score. I think he was inspired.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think the season was called Yuletide, when they brought home the Yule log which burned for the full twelve days of Christmas. It was unlucky if the log went out and had to be re-lit and after the festivities a part of it was then kept and used to kindle the next year's log.