Should a Christian fear God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not a Hebrew expert!
I was quoting both from Strong's Hebrew lexicon (it's H3374; see definitions B and C) and from a rabbi who spoke Hebrew and had studied the Hebrew scriptures all his life.

Are YOU scared of God? Me too. As I said before, being afraid is a very reasonable reaction when someone understands they are dealing with a being that is infinitely powerful. But for us to do what God wants, seek His face and love Him with all heart, mind, soul, and strength, we have to learn to overcome fear and trust Him. That's what FAITH is.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was quoting both from Strong's Hebrew lexicon (it's H3374) and from a rabbi who speaks Hebrew and had studied the Hebrew scriptures all his life.
You pick out the parts you like. Aren't you the one who supports murdering unborn babies?
Are YOU scared of God? Me too. As I said before, being afraid is a very reasonable reaction when someone understands they are dealing with a being that is infinitely powerful. But for us to do what God wants, seek His face and love Him with all heart, mind, soul, and strength, we have to learn to overcome fear and trust Him. That's what FAITH is.
The fear of God and the wrath of God are two of the most important doctrines in the Bible. Did you forget your comment:

Lambano said: "Fear makes us hide from God, not seek Him."

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You pick out the parts you like.
We all do that. How do you like Psalm 137:9?

Okay, so you like the fear and wrath parts. Does it work for you? Do you earnestly desire to know God and be in His presence? Do you truly love God and are happy doing the things that make God happy? Or do you just not want to be burned? Answer honestly.

If the fear thing helps YOU to seek God's face and love Him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, then I'm all for it. But I found it didn't work for me, though I know it's always there in the background.

Again, please be transparent and honest with us.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all do that.
I LOVE the Bible. It's the written Word of God!
How do you like Psalm 137:9?
I love it. Do you?
Okay, so you like the fear and wrath parts.
No, I LOVE it! It's God's word.
Does it work for you?
Of course!
Do you earnestly desire to know God and be in His presence? Do you truly love God and are happy doing the things that make God happy? Or do you just not want to be burned? Answer honestly.
If I wanted to be burned "forever and ever" I would support murdering babies.
If the fear thing helps YOU to seek God's face and love Him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, then I'm all for it.
2 Kings 17
They didn't fear God so He sent lions to kill them.
But I found it didn't work for me, though I know it's always there in the background.

Again, please be transparent and honest with us.
And that leads us back to God's word.

Philippians 2
Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks. (Psalm 137:9)

Okay, so you admit you love smashing babies against rocks.
I guess murdering unborn babies and lying go hand in hand. YOU are the one who supports murdering unborn babies. Remember? Not me.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess murdering unborn babies and lying go hand in hand. YOU are the one who supports murdering unborn babies. Remember? Not me.
WTF?

Okay, point of personal privilege here: I DO NOT support abortion. The subject in that thread was about torturing people for all eternity in Hell, which is peripherally related to fearing God, the subject of this thread. The argument goes like this:
  1. Premise: God torments non-believers in Hell forever and ever (a premise you believe.)
  2. Premise: God is merciful and will not torment the souls of babies (born or not-yet-born) forever (a premise I agree with)
  3. Premise: Some percentage of babies will grow up to be non-believers and be sentenced to Hell. For argument's sake, assume the percentage is 90%
  4. Conclusion: Aborting babies in the womb will save them from eternal torment 9 times out of 10. (Or whatever the actual percentage is.) Therefore, belief in eternal torment logically implies that abortion is a good and merciful thing. I reject the conclusion that abortion is good, therefore I must reject Premise 1.
Do you understand?

Now, back to our discussion about growing up to serve God out of love, reverence, and awe instead of fear.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL
Okay, point of personal privilege here: I DO NOT support abortion.
You didn't say you support abortion if a doctor recommends it?
The subject in that thread was about torturing people for all eternity in Hell, which is peripherally related to fearing God, the subject of this thread. The argument goes like this:
  1. Premise: God torments non-believers in Hell forever and ever (a premise you believe.)
Of course. I agree with Jesus.
  1. Premise: God is merciful and will not torment the souls of babies (born or not-yet-born) forever (a premise I agree with)
Absolutely agree!
  1. Premise: Some percentage of babies will grow up to be non-believers and be sentenced to Hell. For argument's sake, assume the percentage is 90%
  2. Conclusion: Aborting babies in the womb will save them from eternal torment 9 times out of 10. (Or whatever the actual percentage is.) Therefore, belief in eternal torment logically implies that abortion is a good and merciful thing. I reject the conclusion that abortion is good, therefore I must reject Premise 1.
Do you understand?

Now, back to our discussion about growing up to serve God out of love, reverence, and awe instead of fear.
If you reject fearing God you reject the Christian Bible. God drowned everyone on Earth but 8 "making them an example".