Should believers fear Hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love in action? :rolleyes:

I see you haven't fallen into a discussion with DuckyBill, yet.....you will!

He is a decent Christian person, but his communication style is quite maddening

Amazing Grace

Mar 21, 2011
I see you haven't fallen into a discussion with DuckyBill, yet.....you will!

He is a decent Christian person, but his communication style is quite maddening

OH I have experience Ducky in full flight.

I agree he does certainly get under your skin at times.

Cobbler

Jan 24, 2011
I've ahd several dreas about Hell but only two fo them are vivid.

In one dream I died and went to Heaven, where me and others that had died around the same time found ourselvs in a huge mansion where we were greeted by angels and told to set the tablse ready for a banquet, which we did and we were promised a place at the banquet. Then we had to help get the food ready but when the banquet started we were not allowed to sit down, but told wait on the tables and were assured that we would get to join the others shortly. So we waited the tables and when we had finisehd, the angels told us iwe could join in the banquet once we had done the dishes, so we did the dishes. When that was over, the angels asked us to follow them. We went to the back of the kitchen and down some large ston steps that wound down and down. They went really far and at the bottom they opened up onto a ledge of rock that was hanging over a huge cavern. Looking voer the dge we could see fire licking up the walls and a lake of blood and fire and a huge turning wheel in the middle. people and people were screaming. Joined onto the ledge was a ladder made of bones and the angels ordered us down the ladder into the lake. We all refused so the angels just started throwing people in and some even kicked them off the ledge. They had hold of me, one on each arm and somehow I struggled free and ran back up the steps with the angles just inches behind me. I ran back into the kitchen and then into the banquetting hall and then woke up drenched in sweat. This was about 8 eyars ago.

Then I had another dream where I was standing in a cavern and a black robed figure appeared to me. His robe was like that of a monk and udner the hood his face was a flaming skull/ He told me that he was the angel of death and was bidden to tell me that I was eternally dammed. I laughed at first and told him that as a Christian I could not be dammed. The Angel of death then laughed at me and said that I was a fool because if God wanted to single someone out for damnation then it wouldn't matter what they believed. He said to me, "you will burn forever in Hell because God wills it." Then I woke up and it was Sunday morning and I honestly wonderd if I should even bother to go to Church that day. This was about a year ago and it really did feel real.

Should I dismiss them as dreams or are they warnings? Could they coem from the devil or from God? I really don't know but all I can say is they certainly felt reall at the time and still do.

Templar,

These dreams are demonic attack. You need not beleive them, simply pray against them and ask God for some help.

You need to get plugged in to a Bible teaching church to strengthen your faith and understanding - then you will know that these dreams and such like are an attack from the enemy.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I had another one alst week. I remember feeling like I was choking and I opened my eyes to see a rotten hand gripping my throat and then a rotten face grinning at me and laughing. I called out to God but I could manage was a wrasbing noise.

In Old english folflore a Mare is a night demon that causes bad dreams and often takes the shape of a horse and are sent from Hell by the Devil.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had another one alst week. I remember feeling like I was choking and I opened my eyes to see a rotten hand gripping my throat and then a rotten face grinning at me and laughing. I called out to God but I could manage was a wrasbing noise.

In Old english folflore a Mare is a night demon that causes bad dreams and often takes the shape of a horse and are sent from Hell by the Devil.

So, what is causing all this fear? Work? Considering Catholicism? Relationship?

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
It goes back a long way, I think to whenI first started school. Other kids used to talk about Hell and the Devil and it scared me a lot. It has left a lasting impression even thoug I understand what Jesus as done for us and believe him to be my PERSONAL saviour. I think it is a phovia; hadophobia or infernoophobia perhaps. When someone I know dies who is a Christian I never for one moment doubt their salvation and I hope for the salvation of those who aren't but somehow I'm so self analytical and find it ahrd to see myself as a decent person and I can't help but feel I am doing something wrong all the time.

When I talk about fear of Hell i don't jsut eman something that amkes you straighten up and fly right but I'm talking aobut abject fear of ending up there and never getting out. What I really struggle with is sin, even though I repent of all the sins I can think o. God's standard is so high and I feel that I can't measure up. I've alsways believed that to be saved you ahve to die in a state of grace. So what if I commit a sin, even a small one and then cross the road only to be run over by a bus. I would burn in hell surely.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It goes back a long way, I think to whenI first started school. Other kids used to talk about Hell and the Devil and it scared me a lot. It has left a lasting impression even thoug I understand what Jesus as done for us and believe him to be my PERSONAL saviour. I think it is a phovia; hadophobia or infernoophobia perhaps. When someone I know dies who is a Christian I never for one moment doubt their salvation and I hope for the salvation of those who aren't but somehow I'm so self analytical and find it ahrd to see myself as a decent person and I can't help but feel I am doing something wrong all the time.

When I talk about fear of Hell i don't jsut eman something that amkes you straighten up and fly right but I'm talking aobut abject fear of ending up there and never getting out. What I really struggle with is sin, even though I repent of all the sins I can think o. God's standard is so high and I feel that I can't measure up. I've alsways believed that to be saved you ahve to die in a state of grace. So what if I commit a sin, even a small one and then cross the road only to be run over by a bus. I would burn in hell surely.

God really doesn't work that way. He wants to have a relationship with you - it seems like you believe He has a relationship with you, but is really looking to get out it. God doesn't want us to go to Hell - The HolySpirit is currently bringing God's wheat fields to harvest. Hell is often on people's minds - we are either fearing for our own souls worried about our neighbor.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I've asked God to stop teh nightmares but they carry on so someone must be trying to tell me something.

I think I could tkae a lot of comfort in Puirgatory because anyone who goes to Purgatory is jsut there to ahve their sins cleaned off before they reach heaven. everyone who goes to Purgatory will eventually be saved. I've always like the idea of Purgatory and you'd be surprised how many Anglcians believe in it despite the 39 articles. Thje only problem i've ever had with Purgatory is masses for the dead because I'm not sure that the living can do anything for someone who has died. They are out of our ahnds and in God's hands and I'm not sure how raying for them in pPurgatory can help them if they ahve been assigned a punnishment for their sins, becaue surely they should servie it out before proceding to Heaven. This is something I want to talk about on the RCIA.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
I've asked God to stop teh nightmares but they carry on so someone must be trying to tell me something.

I think I could tkae a lot of comfort in Puirgatory because anyone who goes to Purgatory is jsut there to ahve their sins cleaned off before they reach heaven. everyone who goes to Purgatory will eventually be saved. I've always like the idea of Purgatory and you'd be surprised how many Anglcians believe in it despite the 39 articles. Thje only problem i've ever had with Purgatory is masses for the dead because I'm not sure that the living can do anything for someone who has died. They are out of our ahnds and in God's hands and I'm not sure how raying for them in pPurgatory can help them if they ahve been assigned a punnishment for their sins, becaue surely they should servie it out before proceding to Heaven. This is something I want to talk about on the RCIA.

Tell me where in Scripture you see anything about a Purgatory?

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
It's in Tobit and Revelations. Tobit is in the septuagent and I consider it Bblical.

If a fifth of the world believes in it then it is good enough for me. No Catholic bashing here please.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
It's in Tobit and Revelations. Tobit is in the septuagent and I consider it Bblical.

If a fifth of the world believes in it then it is good enough for me. No Catholic bashing here please.

Where in Revelation? Where in Tobit? Did I bash anyone?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hey, I'm jumping in a little late to the conversation, but it certainly is an interesting one!

As far as the 'fearing hell' goes, well, I say yes. Not for us however. As a Christian, as someone who honestly loves Jesus, we are safe in His blood. We may fear our failures and sins, but that is only relying on our strengths, not the strength of what was done on the cross. What Jesus accomplished is enough...it will see us through even in our tough patches...we just need to keep looking to Him and all will come out right.
But I still think a healthy dose of fear of hell is a good thing....not because we fear going there, but because we know others will. How many people do you know and care about do not love Jesus? The Bible teaches us that hell is real, it is bad and it is eternal. This should motivate us to spread the gospel as nothing else!! So many people need to hear that wonderful, saving news.

As far as your dreams go, I know what you're talking about. I haven't had many, but over the years I've had a few dreams that I am convinced were demonic attacks. Not a lot scares me, but I could feel the evil. Scary. Let me ask you something....when you wake from these dreams and call on Jesus for help, do you do it with authority? It doesn't matter if you can't talk, speaking aloud in your mind is just as effective. Jesus has given us authority over demons, so let me encourage you...next time you have a dream, don't just say "Jesus help".....command any evil away from you in His name...in the name of His spilt blood for you. When it comes down to it, the demons can try to scare you, but you don't belong to them, you belong to God, that gives you a tremendous advantage...use it!!

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
As far as your dreams go, I know what you're talking about. I haven't had many, but over the years I've had a few dreams that I am convinced were demonic attacks. Not a lot scares me, but I could feel the evil. Scary. Let me ask you something....when you wake from these dreams and call on Jesus for help, do you do it with authority? It doesn't matter if you can't talk, speaking aloud in your mind is just as effective. Jesus has given us authority over demons, so let me encourage you...next time you have a dream, don't just say "Jesus help".....command any evil away from you in His name...in the name of His spilt blood for you. When it comes down to it, the demons can try to scare you, but you don't belong to them, you belong to God, that gives you a tremendous advantage...use it!!

Demons cannot get into your mind useless you have let them in. If you are a Christian, order them out in the Name of Jesus Christ. We have power over Satan and his people, Use it!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Tell me where in Scripture you see anything about a Purgatory?

Same place it gives a clear definition of the Trinity and the incarnation of Christ - you know, right after the place where the canon of the Bible is listed?

I started having vivid, lucid dreams after I started Contemplative prayer. Dreams are just thoughts that cannot be described accurately with words - they are beyond words. Words only describe a small part of reality anyway - our brains can process a lot more than words can describe. I think God can use dreams to point out truth. I do not believe the devil can read minds.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Same place it gives a clear definition of the Trinity and the incarnation of Christ - you know, right after the place where the canon of the Bible is listed?

I knew you couldn't find it, because it's not their.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
[/size] [/size]

How many times have we had this discussion? I am not going to comment on a literal Hell for the 25th time, but I am starting to believe you might be a literal Duck.

:lol:

Ducky, you gotta admit that one was funny. Sorry. ;)