Should Christians Be Health-Conscious?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the way I look at it is this, we all sin but we are under grace. It is impossible to try to live by the letter. I try to do good but I will sin whether I mean to or not. God knows this and that’s why we are living in the age of grace. I think the Old Testament is the mind of God. What he accepts and denies, what he likes and dislikes. I read the Old Testament to know These things. That being said I don’t think we are under those rules. Those rules are impossible to keep. I think every human alive today would be consumed with the wicked of we had to keep those rules.
Your body, your choice :p

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the way I look at it is this, we all sin but we are under grace. It is impossible to try to live by the letter. I try to do good but I will sin whether I mean to or not. God knows this and that’s why we are living in the age of grace. I think the Old Testament is the mind of God. What he accepts and denies, what he likes and dislikes. I read the Old Testament to know These things. That being said I don’t think we are under those rules. Those rules are impossible to keep. I think every human alive today would be consumed with the wicked of we had to keep those rules.
Do you think God had people stoned to death for breaking rules that were/are impossible to keep? Do you think if everyone just did what they think is right that God would be pleased and save them? There are many remote tribes and peoples who have almost no sense of right and wrong. Is our duty to God so obvious that we need no further instruction from Him? :)

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think God had people stoned to death for breaking rules that were/are impossible to keep? Do you think if everyone just did what they think is right that God would be pleased and save them. There are many remote tribes and peoples who have almost no sense of right and wrong. Is our duty to God so obvious that we need no further instruction from Him? :)
Well they are impossible for me to keep!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone told you that God doesn't really mean what He says and that made you feel better about eating bacon, would you think they were being gracious to you? :)
So I've done all of this

And I'm not going to stop you, because I'm not going to interfere with someone's desire to humble themselves, but I'm curious about what you think about Acts 21:24-25.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think God had people stoned to death for breaking rules that were/are impossible to keep? Do you think if everyone just did what they think is right that God would be pleased and save them? There are many remote tribes and peoples who have almost no sense of right and wrong. Is our duty to God so obvious that we need no further instruction from Him? :)
“Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.” could be difficult

You would have to check all of the tags on your whole wardrobe. I don't have the patience myself.

But diet wise, if you feel called, do it anyway. Romans 14:23

Reactions: Mantis

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If nobody has seen this, it is very interesting. This man lived "Biblically" for a year, strictly, including OT laws that were applied to the Israelites to separate them from the other nations, which included many of the old laws like stoning adulterers.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What should we understand from Peter's words here?

"Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?" Acts 15:10

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I've done all of this
I don't know what you mean here.
And I'm not going to stop you,
Again, puzzled.
I'm curious about what you think about Acts 21:24-25.
I don't think it has anything to do with standards of health, do you?
“Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together.” could be difficult

You would have to check all of the tags on your whole wardrobe. I don't have the patience myself.
I wouldn't recommend that anyone try to keep themselves ceremonially pure. Christ has fulfilled that requirement. :)

Reactions: DuckieLady

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What should we understand from Peter's words here?

"Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?" Acts 15:10
Should we understand from Peter's words that God had people stoned to death for breaking rules that were/are impossible to keep?

Do you think the unbearable yoke was healthful living?

Could it have been partly the thick, additional layer of Pharisaical requirements that were meant to carnally supplement the Mosaic law and thus ensure ceremonial purity? Christ seemed to think so.

What should we understand from Paul's words here?

1 Thessalonians 5:20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt,
1 Thessalonians 5:21 but test all things. Hold fast to what is good.

The Bible promises, “No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly” (Psalm 84:11). So if God withholds a thing from us, it is because it is not good for us.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what you mean here.

Again, puzzled.

I don't think it has anything to do with standards of health, do you?

I wouldn't recommend that anyone try to keep themselves ceremonially pure. Christ has fulfilled that requirement. :)
Ah! I misunderstood the intentions then. I meant I had followed the OT diet guidelines for religious reasons and I don't stop people who are.

You can't really fail keeping yourself in good health.

My mom had an interesting talk with a lady who works in health and safety.... something about county water. I can't remember what the job is called.

Anyway, it sketched me out enough to get a water filter and clean my vegetables, and avoid prepackaged food.

You have to soak broccoli in baking soda and water for about 15 minutes to get all of the chemicals and pesticides out. I'm not trusting meat right now.

I think its a good idea.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah! I misunderstood the intentions then. I meant I had followed the OT diet guidelines for religious reasons and I don't stop people who are.

You can't really fail keeping yourself in good health.

My mom had an interesting talk with a lady who works in health and safety.... something about county water. I can't remember what the job is called.

Anyway, it sketched me out enough to get a water filter and clean my vegetables, and avoid prepackaged food.

You have to soak broccoli in baking soda and water for about 15 minutes to get all of the chemicals and pesticides out. I'm not trusting meat right now.

I think its a good idea.
Amen to all of that, Sister!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eating healthy is expensive. I really need to get the greenhouse rodent proofed. It would be awesome to eat nothing from a store. To eat just what you grow and raise/hunt.
Eating is getting expensive, period. I mean, give me a break, right? My wife complains more than she ever has about the price of groceries. :(

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should we understand from Peter's words that God had people stoned to death for breaking rules that were/are impossible to keep?

Do you think the unbearable yoke was healthful living?
No, I do not.

I do believe that we are to be good stewards of all that God has given us to take care of... This certainly would include our body of flesh... So we do the best we can, but the best will be different for different people because people are different.

Does good health also include eating no "processed" foods as some say today? I suspect that if everyone in this moment tried to do that many would end up quite hungry because most available foods are already processed.

We must consider honestly what there is to be had easily and within our means in our present society.

Could it have been partly the thick, additional layer of Pharisaical requirements that were meant to carnally supplement the Mosaic law and thus ensure ceremonial purity? Christ seemed to think so.
Must everyone be a Bible student spending several hours each day in the Bible and related resource in order to please God and to always be with Him?

What if we cannot understand what is expected still of us from what we do read, in either the OT or the NT? I doubt that you believe that where you go everyone else must follow in order to make it with God.

God made us different to start in our flesh and we are to be different parts of the Body of Christ so that somewhat different routes are appropriate to make it to the end with Him.

Advising others what we believe is a good thing so long as we do not get too insistent as some certainly do.

I believe that everyone should do the best they can with what God has given them, which hopefully includes the leading of the Holy Spirit.

What is a prophecy? What is good? Does every believer in God and His Son have exactly the same answer to each question?

Reactions: BarneyFife