Should Christians Be Health-Conscious?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I eat what I want and don't really care how long I live. This life is a short one compared to the life hereafter. My motto is enjoy life and quit listening to doctors. They used to say margarine was good for you, now they're saying it's bad for you. Oh well to all the people that for all those years ate margarine and now have health problems:
did-you-actually-use-margarine.jpg

I agree with you and butter has always been better for you than margarine. You cannot really keep up with what they say is good or bad. I go with the food pyramid mostly.

Although we are not under the dietary restrictions of the Mosaic Law, Yahweh probably had a reason for them, but that maybe time period issues. But that does not mean that the Hebrews ate healthy, they were really big on fat sauces and so was Yahweh. LOL And food preservation was seriously lacking as well as water quality. One of the reason they mixed wine with well water was to neutralize the flora of the well....dead lizards and frogs and insects and bird do do and mold.

Pork had preservation issues in the antient world. Do you remember your grand-ma cooking your bacon black. LOL

I am big on meat....pork....beef....chicken....turkey....catfish....shrimp....lobster and the stews and chillies and casseroles and hot dogs and bratwursts and smoked sausage links, lunch meat and braunschweiger. I am real big on Omega-3 fish oils....supplements. I love chicken livers but mostly stay away from organ meat. LOL the best fried chicken is fried in lard.

I do not do water.....I have went a year without drinking a glass of water per say. A gallon of coffee or tea a day. Milk, raw milk when available, milk shakes, and juices. A couple cokes a month. It is funny, there is war against raw milk, my family and I drank it for most of my youth. LOL You have not drank milk until you have drank raw milk. I have friends that milk cows and I get it from them now.

I am not big on sweets but I do love chocolate and ice cream and German chocolate cakes and pumpkin pies, I just do not eat them a lot....mostly on holidays.

And I do drink alcohol.

Whatever you are eating I think exercise it the most important thing and as far a quality of life....it is a must when you get older.

What did all that produce....I am an OX. I am 64 year old and healthy and can usually out lift anyone in the weight room. I do have a belly but it is solid as a rock.

Still, I do not think any of it has anything to do with Christianity. Heck, some would say it is vanity or not trusting the Lord to look after yourself. I do not agree with that. Then again I do not think it is wrong for a church to suggest wisdom. I have seen churches give financial advise, recommend seatbelts, caution the elderly about shoveling snow. etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with you and butter has always been better for you than margarine. You cannot really keep up with what they say is good or bad. I go with the food pyramid mostly.

Although we are not under the dietary restrictions of the Mosaic Law, Yahweh probably had a reason for them, but that maybe time period issues. But that does not mean that the Hebrews ate healthy, they were really big on fat sauces and so was Yahweh. LOL And food preservation was seriously lacking as well as water quality. One of the reason they mixed wine with well water was neutralize the flora of the well....dead lizards and frogs and insects and bird do do and mold.

Pork had preservation issues in the antient world. Do you remember your grand-ma cooking your bacon black. LOL

I am big on meat....pork....beef....chicken....turkey....catfish....shrimp....lobster and the stews and chillies and casseroles and hot dogs and bratwursts and smoked sausage links, lunch meat and braunschweiger. I am real big on Omega-3 fish oils....supplements. I love chicken livers but mostly stay away from organ meat. LOL the best fried chicken is fried in lard.

I do not do water.....I have went a year without drinking a glass of water per say. A gallon coffee or tea a day. Milk, raw milk when available, milk shakes, and juices. A couple cokes a month. It is funny, there is war against raw milk, my family and I drank it for most of my youth. LOL You have not drank milk until you have drank raw milk. I have friends that milk cows and I get it from them now.

I am not big on sweets but I do love chocolate and ice cream and German chocolate cakes and pumpkin pies, I just do not eat them a lot....mostly on holidays.

And I do drink alcohol.

Whatever you are eating I think exercise it the most important thing and as far a quality of life....it is a must when you get older.

What did all that produce....I am an OX. I am 64 year old and healthy and can usually out lift anyone in the weight room. I do have a belly but it is solid as a rock.

Still, I do not think any of it has anything to do with Christianity. Heck, some would say it is vanity or not trusting the Lord to look after yourself. I do not agree with that. Then again I do not think it is wrong for a church to suggest wisdom. I have seen churches give financial advise, recommend seatbelts, caution the elderly about shoveling snow. etc
My great gandfather used to have a cow and we would have fresh milk. He also had a chicken coupe with fresh eggs. You can't get that stuff from the store. My mother also had chickens and gave me fresh eggs. They are the best. Very tasty.

I often wonder how they preserved meats and such and kept the well from dying animals and such. I know about smoking meats and adding salt to preserve them. But I didn't know about the wine hack.

I also drink on occasion and it is in the bible for people like me. If your suffering the bible prescribes wine and hard drink.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I eat real butter and don't care if it clogs my arteries. I did cut back on eggs though. Wow they are super packed with cholesterol. 187mg of cholesterol in an egg. While only 12mg in a glass of milk. I tested elevated for cholesterol and thought it was the milk I started drinking. Then the doctor directed me to look at the eggs I was eating and wow. But eggs are cheap so I didn't cut them out entirely.
Never take any notice of someone who wants to sell you a product that is better than the one you are already using. It’s a marketing strategy to get you to put one down and pick up the other, but marketing is based on false advertising.....lies get promoted as truth, but in a very sneaky way.....it’s all in the way you phrase something. Look for the word “helps”.....it’s actually meaningless.

Who told us that eating fat makes us fat? It’s not true. The right kind of fat makes you healthy and keeps you a slim. If low fat products worked, there would be no fat people.

Who told us that eating eggs raises cholesterol....? It’s not true. Cholesterol is made by your liver, so heredity is more the cause of high cholesterol than eating it.

Doctors usually know nothing about nutrition. Which is a travesty because “ you are what you eat” so learning to eat healthy doesn’t mean you have to avoid all tasty foods....it just means that the junk food you buy for convenience and taste, has copious amounts of calories but very little nutrition.

Learning to eat healthy is not hard, especially with so much info on the net.
Great recipes too.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never take any notice of someone who wants to sell you a product that is better than the one you are already using. It’s a marketing strategy to get you to put one down and pick up the other, but marketing is based on false advertising.....lies get promoted as truth, but in a very sneaky way.....it’s all in the way you phrase something. Look for the word “helps”.....it’s actually meaningless.

Who told us that eating fat makes us fat? It’s not true. The right kind of fat makes you healthy and keep you a slim. If low fat products worked, there would be no fat people.

Who told us that eating eggs raises cholesterol....? It’s not true. Cholesterol is made by your liver, so heredity is more the cause of high cholesterol than eating it.

Doctors usually know nothing about nutrition. Which is a travesty because “ you are what you eat” so learning to eat healthy doesn’t mean you have to avoid all tasty foods....it just means that the junk food you buy for convenience and taste, has copious amounts of calories but very little nutrition.

Learning to eat healthy is not hard, especially with so much info on the net.
Great recipes too.
I used to BBQ a lot. Enjoy BBQ'd steak and salmon. I made a special sauce from BBQ sauce and bacon fat with garlic butter. It was super good. I also made a cilantro, tomato, onion and garlic dip for restaurant style tostada chips. Super healthy and tasty.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My great gandfather used to have a cow and we would have fresh milk. He also had a chicken coupe with fresh eggs. You can't get that stuff from the store. My mother also had chickens and gave me fresh eggs. They are the best. Very tasty.

I agree, there is really a difference in farm chickens and turkeys. Had a friend of mine that thought he was allergic to eggs. Turned out he was allergic to store bought eggs. The stores try the organic eggs and range free but I do not know if he tried that. Farm eggs to me just taste better.

But I didn't know about the wine hack.

That is something people get confused about. You can look into the history of it. There was no such thing as a grapepress, it was all winepresses. Grape juice would not last.

A lot of Christ's parables revolved around wine and vineyards and Christianity quickly developed symbolisms around the the grapevines and wine. It did not matter if you were a Jew, Christian, or Roman, it was a drinking culture. The scriptures speak against drunkenness, but in a drinking culture, drunkenness is a little different, than in a tea toddler culture.

Timothy was traveling and that is why Paul told him to drink a little wine for his stomach. Going from well to well that had different flora made the issue worse. That is even true today, people can get sick from drinking from a different well. And I am not suggesting that everyone ran around half drunk....most of the time they mixed the wine with water. More or less Kool-Aid. LOL

This is where in many cases Christianity has turned into therapy groups, alcohol, tobacco, gambling, sex.

Reactions: dev553344

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Although we are not under the dietary restrictions of the Mosaic Law, Yahweh probably had a reason for them, but that maybe time period issues. But that does not mean that the Hebrews ate healthy, they were really big on fat sauces and so was Yahweh. LOL And food preservation was seriously lacking as well as water quality. One of the reason they mixed wine with well water was neutralize the flora of the well....dead lizards and frogs and insects and bird do do and mold.

I do not do water.....I have went a year without drinking a glass of water per say. A gallon coffee or tea a day. Milk, raw milk when available, milk shakes, and juices. A couple cokes a month. It is funny, there is war against raw milk, my family and I drank it for most of my youth. LOL You have not drank milk until you have drank raw milk. I have friends that milk cows and I get it from them now.

And I do drink alcohol.

I was thinking that when the Hebrews came out of Egypt they were going to meet a lot of resistance and conflicts in the "new world" , so it would be adviseable for them to stay as healthy as possible. Not very good sending unhealthy men into battle.
Just thinking..

They had to eat healthy for physical conflict, we have to eat healthy for spiritual conflict.
The devil knows when your not feeling good and that's when he tends to attack you the most.
You got a headache or a tootheache or any ache, your patience is lower, your resistance is weaker, etc.

I think it's important to stay well fed with good nourishment, both physical and spiritual food.
:)
HUGS
iu

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is so profound, deep and hilarious.
Does bacon love us .
Our taste buds might love bacon , but visiualize this next scenario .
One is sitting around the table just chomping away on that bacon . Then suddenly you feel a funny feeling in your head
and you notice a bit of tightness in your chest . You blow it off thinking , oh its nothing .
Later on the wife and kids come home to find your face in your plate of bacon . heart said Enough was enough .
That bacon aint so good for folks .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worse than bacon is processed foods . We would marvel at the things they put in it .
My advice would be flee the refined sugars , corn syrup stuff .
Eat them veggies and meats like salmon and chicken .
Eat as God made things . The biggest thing is , eat moderately.
And remember this last line well . Physical food can only sustain the physical body ,
THERE IS A FOOD that truly does feed the SPIRIT . Open those bibles and feast likes its a sixty six course meal .
Loving every bite of that wonderfous food .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worse than bacon is processed foods . We would marvel at the things they put in it .
My advice would be flee the refined sugars , corn syrup stuff .
Eat them veggies and meats like salmon and chicken .
Eat as God made things . The biggest thing is , eat moderately.
And remember this last line well . Physical food can only sustain the physical body ,
THERE IS A FOOD that truly does feed the SPIRIT . Open those bibles and feast likes its a sixty six course meal .
Loving every bite of that wonderfous food .
"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" Matt 4:4

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

HUGS

Ziggy<--- barely walking today but heart is jigging
:)
This is how I am also today and most everyday anymore in my flesh.

How I always have loved to dance before the Lord as the Spirit of God led me taking my feet to places they could not find on their own!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is how I am also today and most everyday anymore in my flesh.

How I always have loved to dance before the Lord as the Spirit of God led me taking my feet to places they could not find on their own!
Arthritis of the spine and neck is not friendly my friend . But we can DANCE IN OUR HEARTS UNTO THE GLORIOUS LORD .
SO just put those hands up and let the LORD be praised my friend and friends .

Reactions: Ziggy and amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are health principles really a part of true Bible religion?
They are. We are expected to take care of ourselves.

At the same time, God has removed all dietary restrictions under the New Covenant.
Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the Word of God and prayer. (1 Tim 4:3-5)

The one restriction that dates back to the time of Noah is the consumption of blood, which has spiritual significance, in that the shed blood of clean animals pre-figured the shed blood of Christ, and without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins.