Should Christians Be Health-Conscious?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eating healthy is expensive. I really need to get the greenhouse rodent proofed. It would be awesome to eat nothing from a store. To eat just what you grow and raise/hunt.
Watched the white house economics guy. Right now, meat is double the cost and milk and dairy are also higher, but vegetables are lower.

So I'm considering going mostly pescatarian and learning a lot of vegan cooking, because sardines are only a dollar and imitation crab is cheap.

Apparently you can store celery and carrots covered in water in the fridge and the celery will keep about two weeks, but carrots will keep for a month.

Milk is easy. One jug of whole milk is 1/3rd for yogurt, 1/3rd for farmers cheese, 1/3rd for cooking.

Yeah.. I've been broke for a long time and have had a long time to figure this stuff out... Lol

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Watched the white house economics guy. Right now, meat is double the cost and milk and dairy are also higher, but vegetables are lower.

So I'm considering going mostly pescatarian and learning a lot of vegan cooking, because sardines are only a dollar and imitation crab is cheap.

Apparently you can store celery and carrots covered in water in the fridge and the celery will keep about two weeks, but carrots will keep for a month.

Milk is easy. One jug of whole milk is 1/3rd for yogurt, 1/3rd for farmers cheese, 1/3rd for cooking.

Yeah.. I've been broke for a long time and have had a long time to figure this stuff out... Lol

Yeah mostly cutting meat out would definitely benefit your health. Unless it is wild game it will not be that healthy for you. Although my aunt is a pescatarian and she always seems emaciated. She looks like she is missing some kind of nutrition. Probably iron.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah mostly cutting meat out would definitely benefit your health. Unless it is wild game it will not be that healthy for you. Although my aunt is a pescatarian and she always seems emaciated. She looks like she is missing some kind of nutrition. Probably iron.
Iron, B12, but more than likely also K2. K2 is essential.

Sardines are usually good though for B12, about 300%+ the daily value. B12 is for iron absorption. Packed with iron.

I would be fine with organic grassfed beef.

B12 deficiency anemia is what got me started on the sardines.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I eat what I want and don't really care how long I live. This life is a short one compared to the life hereafter. My motto is enjoy life and quit listening to doctors. They used to say margarine was good for you, now they're saying it's bad for you. Oh well to all the people that for all those years ate margarine and now have health problems:
did-you-actually-use-margarine.jpg

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sardines are usually good though for B12, about 300%+ the daily value. B12 is for iron absorption. Packed with iron.

I used to love sardines as a kid. Would have fun eating the fish with bones baked in. But now days I can't stomach it. I'm more into king crab and lobster with garlic butter sauce.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just a couple of points I noticed among the many....

“The Lord said to Noah, … ‘take with you seven each of every clean animal … two each of animals that are unclean’ ” (Genesis 7:1, 2).

Answer: No on all points. Noah lived long before any Jews existed, but he knew of the clean and unclean animals, because he took into the ark the clean ones by sevens and the unclean ones by twos. Revelation 18:2 refers to some birds as being unclean just before the second coming of Christ. The death of Christ did not in any way affect or change these health laws, since the Bible says that all who break them will be destroyed when Jesus returns (Isaiah 66:15–17). The Jew’s digestive system in no way differs from the Gentile’s digestive system. These health laws are for all people for all time.
What is notable is that no animal flesh was consumed by any creature before the flood. Humans, like all sentient creatures, were designed to be fruit eaters and vegetarians. (Genesis 1:29-30)

So the “clean” and “unclean” animals were originally classified as such for sacrificial purposes, not for eating. And when Noah was told that humans could now consume animal flesh, (perhaps this is when vegetarian animals also became carnivores?...the Bible doesn’t say) he was not told to distinguish one from another.

In Genesis 9:3-7 we see God’s instructions to Noah....
“God went on to bless Noah and his sons and to say to them: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth. 2 A fear of you and a terror of you will continue upon every living creature of the earth and upon every flying creature of the heavens, upon everything that moves on the ground and upon all the fish of the sea. They are now given into your hand. 3 Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. Just as I gave you the green vegetation, I give them all to you. 4 Only flesh with its life—its blood—you must not eat. 5 Besides that, I will demand an accounting for your lifeblood. I will demand an accounting from every living creature; and from each man I will demand an accounting for the life of his brother. 6 Anyone shedding man’s blood, by man will his own blood be shed, for in God’s image He made man. 7 As for you, be fruitful and become many, and increase abundantly on the earth and multiply.”

Originally there were no “unclean” creatures that could not be eaten. That came much later with the Law of Moses. The further we get from the perfection of our first parents, the more things impact on our health. Diseases could be contracted by the eating of pork and shellfish.

Today half the world is starving to death, and the other half are digging a grave with their teeth, eating all manner of things that are detrimental to their health. Obesity is killing way too many people.....yet, if you eat copious quantities of the right foods, you will never become obese.

8. Does the Bible say anything about the use of alcoholic beverages?

“Wine is a mocker, strong drink is a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise” (Proverbs 20:1).
“Do not look on the wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it swirls around smoothly; at the last it bites like a serpent, and stings like a viper” (Proverbs 23:31, 32).
“Neither fornicators … nor drunkards … will inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10).

Answer: Yes. The Bible strongly warns against the use of alcoholic beverages.
The Bible’s issue is with drunkenness, not alcohol itself. Jesus first miracle was to turn water into fine wine....why would Jesus do something that offended his God?

Vineyards were primarily for wine making. Jesus reference to putting new wine into old wineskins’ was a reference to the fermented product. Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach troubles.

There is no prohibition on alcohol...only on the immoderate use of it.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I eat what I want and don't really care how long I live. This life is a short one compared to the life hereafter. My motto is enjoy life and quit listening to doctors. They used to say margarine was good for you, now they're saying it's bad for you. Oh well to all the people that for all those years ate margarine and now have health problems:
did-you-actually-use-margarine.jpg
Imagine when I learned the benefits of lard!!!!! (I bought it to make real ramen ... I was having a phase.)

Was shocking.

Reactions: dev553344

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a couple of points I noticed among the many....

What is notable is that no animal flesh was consumed by any creature before the flood. Humans, like all sentient creatures, were designed to be fruit eaters and vegetarians. (Genesis 1:29-30)

So the “clean” and “unclean” animals were originally classified as such for sacrificial purposes, not for eating. And when Noah was told that humans could now consume animal flesh, (perhaps this is when vegetarian animals also became carnivores?...the Bible doesn’t say) he was not told to distinguish one from another.

In Genesis 9:3-7 we see God’s instructions to Noah....
“God went on to bless Noah and his sons and to say to them: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth. 2 A fear of you and a terror of you will continue upon every living creature of the earth and upon every flying creature of the heavens, upon everything that moves on the ground and upon all the fish of the sea. They are now given into your hand. 3 Every moving animal that is alive may serve as food for you. Just as I gave you the green vegetation, I give them all to you. 4 Only flesh with its life—its blood—you must not eat. 5 Besides that, I will demand an accounting for your lifeblood. I will demand an accounting from every living creature; and from each man I will demand an accounting for the life of his brother. 6 Anyone shedding man’s blood, by man will his own blood be shed, for in God’s image He made man. 7 As for you, be fruitful and become many, and increase abundantly on the earth and multiply.”

Originally there were no “unclean” creatures that could not be eaten. That came much later with the Law of Moses. The further we get from the perfection of our first parents, the more things impact on our health. Diseases could be contracted by the eating of pork and shellfish.

Today half the world is starving to death, and the other half are digging a grave with their teeth, eating all manner of things that are detrimental to their health. Obesity is killing way too many people.....yet, if you eat copious quantities of the right foods, you will never become obese.

The Bible’s issue is with drunkenness, not alcohol itself. Jesus first miracle was to turn water into fine wine....why would Jesus do something that offended his God?

Vineyards were primarily for wine making. Jesus reference to putting new wine into old wineskins’ was a reference to the fermented product. Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach troubles.

There is no prohibition on alcohol...only on the immoderate use of it.
We discovered he just wants to be iron man with raging muscles

So do I

Reactions: BarneyFife

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My dad and I both take vitamin B-12 1000 mg supplements. I just started taking the 2 days ago,
Vitamin K2 and D3 together helps your body apply calcium to their appropriate places like hair, nails, and bones.
Otherwise calcium can end up in your bloodstream and crystalize in your arteries.
Then you will end up like me.
Not good.

Hugs

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine when I learned the benefits of lard!!!!! (I bought it to make real ramen ... I was having a phase.)

Was shocking.
I eat real butter and don't care if it clogs my arteries. I did cut back on eggs though. Wow they are super packed with cholesterol. 187mg of cholesterol in an egg. While only 12mg in a glass of milk. I tested elevated for cholesterol and thought it was the milk I started drinking. Then the doctor directed me to look at the eggs I was eating and wow. But eggs are cheap so I didn't cut them out entirely.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Linen keeps you cool and wool keeps you warm.
Linen represents the Priesthood and the wool represents the congregation.
Reminds me kind of about not having women teaching in the church, but rather asking her husband questions when they get home.
NOT starting an argument about women in churches!!
Just mentioning the diversity of linen and wool.
:)
HUGS

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I eat real butter and don't care if it clogs my arteries. I did cut back on eggs though. Wow they are super packed with cholesterol. 187mg of cholesterol in an egg. While only 12mg in a glass of milk. I tested elevated for cholesterol and thought it was the milk I started drinking. Then the doctor directed me to look at the eggs I was eating and wow. But eggs are cheap so I didn't cut them out entirely.
Eggs can be a good source of protein if you have meat restrictions in your diet.
Like peanutbutter has a lot of salt but is also a good protein alternative.

I like bacon too
HUGS

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Linen keeps you cool and wool keeps you warm.
Linen represents the Priesthood and the wool represents the congregation.
Reminds me kind of about not having women teaching in the church, but rather asking her husband questions when they get home.
NOT starting an argument about women in churches!!
Just mentioning the diversity of linen and wool.
HUGS
I'm a fan of cotton. I keep getting these shirts made out of polyester and when my cigar amber lands on it it makes a melt hole. Now my shirts are all holly. Annoying.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eggs can be a good source of protein if you have meat restrictions in your diet.
Like peanutbutter has a lot of salt but is also a good protein alternative.

I like bacon too
HUGS
I used to love PJ sandwhiches. Its the jelly I have to watch out for. I don't have blood sugar problems unless I eat something sugary. Then I get this cold flush feeling and weakness. But to be honest my favorite meat is a good ribeye steak.

Reactions: Ziggy

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Vitamin K2 and D3 together helps your body apply calcium to their appropriate places like hair, nails, and bones.
Otherwise calcium can end up in your bloodstream and crystalize in your arteries.
I did NOT know this.

Also I'm sorry for that. K2 is in sauerkraut too... Thinking about making some, because fermented vegetables are supposed to be good for peptic ulcers.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to love PJ sandwhiches. Its the jelly I have to watch out for. I don't have blood sugar problems unless I eat something sugary. Then I get this cold flush feeling and weakness. But to be honest my favorite meat is a good ribeye steak.
I'm with you on the ribeye, but any beef gives me problems with elimination.

My dad's girlfriend dropped off a 6-pack of Gatorade. Said the electrolytes are good for you.
So I looked up the nutritional value of Gatorade...
Too much sugar, too much soda. Awesome if your an active athlete and lose a lot of these through sweating and exercise.
Not sure how good it is for my dad who can only get from the recliner to the bed one foot away though.
But you know...
We'll try it, just to keep the peace, for now.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did NOT know this.

Also I'm sorry for that. K2 is in sauerkraut too... Thinking about making some, because fermented vegetables are supposed to be good for peptic ulcers.
Yes K2 can be found in most fermented foods like olives and yogurt. Olives you just have to watch the sodium. They are so salty.
I think seaweed is rich in K2 also

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm with you on the ribeye, but any beef gives me problems with elimination.

My dad's girlfriend dropped off a 6-pack of Gatorade. Said the electrolytes are good for you.
So I looked up the nutritional value of Gatorade...
Too much sugar, too much soda. Awesome if your an active athlete and lose a lot of these through sweating and exercise.
Not sure how good it is for my dad who can only get from the recliner to the bed one foot away though.
But you know...
We'll try it, just to keep the peace, for now.
Yes I recently had to replace electrolytes in my body. I was drinking the sugar free power aid. I drank two sugared gatorades before realizing it had a bunch of sugar in it. The aids that are sugar free say "zero" on them.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I do not.

I do believe that we are to be good stewards of all that God has given us to take care of... This certainly would include our body of flesh... So we do the best we can, but the best will be different for different people because people are different.

Does good health also include eating no "processed" foods as some say today? I suspect that if everyone in this moment tried to do that many would end up quite hungry because most available foods are already processed.

We must consider honestly what there is to be had easily and within our means in our present society.

Must everyone be a Bible student spending several hours each day in the Bible and related resource in order to please God and to always be with Him?

What if we cannot understand what is expected still of us from what we do read, in either the OT or the NT? I doubt that you believe that where you go everyone else must follow in order to make it with God.

God made us different to start in our flesh and we are to be different parts of the Body of Christ so that somewhat different routes are appropriate to make it to the end with Him.

Advising others what we believe is a good thing so long as we do not get too insistent as some certainly do.

I believe that everyone should do the best they can with what God has given them, which hopefully includes the leading of the Holy Spirit.

What is a prophecy? What is good? Does every believer in God and His Son have exactly the same answer to each question?
I concur with all of this, believe it or not. :)

Reactions: amadeus

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Gotta watch the fish; mercury, you know. Can be somewhat compensated for with activated charcoal and chelating herbs like cilantro. :)