Should christians observe holy days vs secular holiday

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would have to strongly disagree with your interpretation.

Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:

18: For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body Jesus which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

You see there in beginning verse 15, Jesus has a desire to have Passover with the disciples. After this passover was over, he wont have a passover and drink the fruit of the vine again until the Kingdom of God comes. Then Jesus took the bread and the wine, and give it to the disciples. Then he said, "do this in remembrance of me." So you have to look at this way...When do they partake the bread and the wine during Passover? During the Passover! It is pretty clear in context. When passover comes, and when you partake the bread and the wine during passover, what did Jesus wanted to remember? Remember him! Because he is the passover lamb! Just like Israel remember that God delivered the children of Israel from the bondage of Egypt with His out stretch arm, and the same way, we would remember that Jesus has delivered us from bondage of sin.

As I said, if you wish to partake of the Lords Supper only n Passover, you are free to do so. But if you try to enforce that on others saying they sin or violate Gods Law- you are wrong!

They celebrated it on Passover for it was part of the Passover meal. That is all! Jesus said as often as you do this- He did not command it to be observed only on Passover.

Paul in 1 Corinthians 11 said to the Corinthians that when they were gathering together which shows they gathered more than once a year!

Let me repeat it again, from Romans 14:

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

If you hold Passover as special that is your right and privilege in the Lord! Just do not try to impose your liberty on others who would not hold to a particular day!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I understand that others observe this memorial of Jesus Christ death more frequently during the year, but the passover which is an annual event is when Jesus instituted the memorial, and isn't true that Jesus died on the passover?

Yes. And of course, Holy Week is the pinnacle of our liturgical calendar. (If you have never experienced an Easter vigil Mass, i would invite and encourage you to attend one this year)

However that paschal mystery is celebrated and entered into every time we celebrate the Divine Liturgy (Mass) which is done daily...

And no surprise there, as this we received from the apostles..

Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple area and to breaking bread in their homes. They ate their meals with exultation and sincerity of heart

Peace !

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. And of course, Holy Week is the pinnacle of our liturgical calendar. (If you have never experienced an Easter vigil Mass, i would invite and encourage you to attend one this year)

However that paschal mystery is celebrated and entered into every time we celebrate the Divine Liturgy (Mass) which is done daily...

And no surprise there, as this we received from the apostles..

Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple area and to breaking bread in their homes. They ate their meals with exultation and sincerity of heart

Peace !
Well as I said the passover was an annual event for the Jews before Jesus died for mankind. Since Jesus instituted the memorial of Jesus Christ on an annual event we observe the memorial of Jesus Christ annually not everyday.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well as I said the passover was an annual event for the Jews before Jesus died for mankind. Since Jesus instituted the memorial of Jesus Christ on an annual event we observe the memorial of Jesus Christ annually not everyday.

Well, better once a year than not at all I reckon :)

Let us rejoice then, brother, that we have such a wonderful saviour !

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.

Peace be with you!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, better once a year than not at all I reckon :)

Let us rejoice then, brother, that we have such a wonderful saviour !

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.

Peace be with you!
Although it's just my opinion, I think those who observe the memorial of Jesus Christ everyday have made it so common that it's not as important as it should be to them.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although it's just my opinion, I think those who observe the memorial of Jesus Christ everyday have made it so common that it's not as important as it should be to them.
And because some people may have made it common, should we refrain from remembering Jesus every day? Is not a memorial a remembering? Should we be following the example of those who may have made it common and not very important?

Consider your wedding anniversary. It may a special day once a year, but should I tell my wife that I love her only that one day each year? Should only treat her as a special person above every other human being only on that one day each year?

When is it that God loves us? What is it that He would hope to receive from us?

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

"Pray without ceasing." I Thess 5:17

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!" Phil 4:4

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service." Rom 12:1

Not once a year, but all of the time, 24/7... one of those impossible things, which God asks of us. Will God not help us to achieve the impossible?

"And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:26-27

Reactions: Philip James

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And because some people may have made it common, should we refrain from remembering Jesus every day? Is not a memorial a remembering? Should we be following the example of those who may have made it common and not very important?

Consider your wedding anniversary. It may a special day once a year, but should I tell my wife that I love her only that one day each year? Should only treat her as a special person above every other human being only on that one day each year?

When is it that God loves us? What is it that He would hope to receive from us?

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

"Pray without ceasing." I Thess 5:17

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!" Phil 4:4

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service." Rom 12:1

Not once a year, but all of the time, 24/7... one of those impossible things, which God asks of us. Will God not help us to achieve the impossible?

"And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:26-27

People have wedding anniversaries annually, but they love their wives everyday. They don't have to odserve a wedding anniversarity everyday to prove how much they love their wives. In fact those who would choose to remember their wedding anniversarity everyday would probably have made it so common to their everyday life that they probably don't think that day to be so special anymore. I ask myself why did God have the Israelites observe their passover once a year, should they have observed it everyday? I don't think so. It was a yearly event, and like I said Jesus instituted his memorial on this annual event. I don't think the fact that Jesus instituted his memorial on a event that was observed annually to be of no significance. I think he wanted his Apostles and disciples to observe this event annually just as the Israelites had observed their passover annually.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People have wedding anniversaries annually, but they love their wives everyday. They don't have to odserve a wedding anniversarity everyday to prove how much they love their wives. In fact those who would choose to remember their wedding anniversarity everyday would probably have made it so common to their everyday life that they probably don't think that day to be so special anymore. I ask myself why did God have the Israelites observe their passover once a year, should they have observed it everyday? I don't think so. It was a yearly event, and like I said Jesus instituted his memorial on this annual event. I don't think the fact that Jesus instituted his memorial on a event that was observed annually to be of no significance. I think he wanted his Apostles and disciples to observe this event annually just as the Israelites had observed their passover annually.
As long as you comfortable in that way then that is between you and God. As you see my own beliefs differ a bit.

Give God the glory!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What an awesome God we have!

Brother, it's good to see that your self imposed exile was short-lived :D

All praise and Glory to the Father, through Jesus Christ our Lord, in the union of the Holy Spirit!

Amen!

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What an awesome God we have!

Brother, it's good to see that your self imposed exile was short-lived :D

All praise and Glory to the Father, through Jesus Christ our Lord, in the union of the Holy Spirit!

Amen!
Thank you my friend and brother in Christ. What an awesome God indeed!

Reactions: Philip James