Should christians observe holy days vs secular holiday

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Umm I am believer in Christ! I am saved by faith and I walk in the spirit, not after the flesh!

LoL. First off, welcome to Christianity Board. :)

It would appear you are receiving a hard time over your OP. Just be forewarned, this is one of those topics that doesn't go over well with most modern day Christians. There's actually a NT and early church basis for believing they observed the Jewish feast days, not as a law and not after the strictness of the Jewish law, but after a spiritual manner nonetheless. But introducing that teaching today will get you branded fairly quickly, as you can see, as a Judaizer. :)

This is a good community, and should you become a regular here you may find the members here more friendly than the current thread suggests. Just understand, if I were you, you might want to avoid posting stuff like this early on, and maybe save it for later on down the road. It's not something the typical Christian is very receptive to.

God bless, and welcome once again,
Hidden In Him

Reactions: shinethelight32
Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LoL. First off, welcome to Christianity Board. :)

It would appear you are receiving a hard time over your OP. Just be forewarned, this is one of those topics that doesn't go over well with most modern day Christians. There's actually a NT and early church basis for believing they observed the Jewish feast days, not as a law and not after the strictness of the Jewish law, but after a spiritual manner nonetheless. But introducing that teaching today will get you branded fairly quickly, as you can see, as a Judaizer. :)

This is a good community, and should you become a regular here you may find the members here more friendly than the current thread suggests. Just understand, if I were you, you might want to avoid posting stuff like this early on, and maybe save it for later on down the road. It's not something the typical Christian is very receptive to.

God bless, and welcome once again,
Hidden In Him

Your right. I'm pretty use to it with these accusation being judaizer when I bring these topics up haha

Reactions: Hidden In Him

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As christians, we are suppose to obey Yahweh commandments and obey his instructions, and do not follow the patterns of the world. So my question is that, as Christians, are we supposed to observe Yahweh holy days?

If you're talking about the old testament holy days, then no. Those were days that the law covenant said the israelites had to observe, but we no longer live by the law covenant. In the new testament the only day that I know of that christians are to observe is the memorial of Jesus Christ, what many also call the last supper. Other than that day I know of no days that christians are commanded to observe.

As for secular days I find nowhere in the scriptures that christians are to observe secular holidays.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Umm is your telling me it is ok to sin

Apparently you are not able to read. No where did I say that. I am saying that you want to be tied to a dead system where there is no life and you pretend to be a believer. You must let your scales fall from your eyes and embrace Christ. You worry so much about keeping every jot and tittle of the law of sin and death that you miss the law of Grace in Christ.

If you think the NT Apostle followed the law you wold be dead wrong, in fact in the first Church council they pronounced the law o no effect when they decided that Christians did not need to be circumcised because true Christian are dead to the law of sin and death.

If you ant to follow the law of sin and death, you an but you are not in Christ.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're talking about the old testament holy days, then no. Those were days that the law covenant said the israelites had to observe, but we no longer live by the law covenant. In the new testament the only day that I know of that christians are to observe is the memorial of Jesus Christ, what many also call the last supper. Other than that day I know of no days that christians are commanded to observe.

As for secular days I find nowhere in the scriptures that christians are to observe secular holidays.
Apparently you are not able to read. No where did I say that. I am saying that you want to be tied to a dead system where there is no life and you pretend to be a believer. You must let your scales fall from your eyes and embrace Christ. You worry so much about keeping every jot and tittle of the law of sin and death that you miss the law of Grace in Christ.

If you think the NT Apostle followed the law you wold be dead wrong, in fact in the first Church council they pronounced the law o no effect when they decided that Christians did not need to be circumcised because true Christian are dead to the law of sin and death.

If you ant to follow the law of sin and death, you an but you are not in Christ.

Then you have to explain this verse.

Exodus12:14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.

In each holy day he gives to the children of Israel..notice I did not say only to jewish people but the children of Isreal. So in each holy day that God instructs, He said it should be observed forever, even into the Kingdom. The scripture is pretty clear that holy days were given to children of Israel and the strangers as an everlasting ordinance

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As christians, we are suppose to obey Yahweh commandments and obey his instructions, and do not follow the patterns of the world. So my question is that, as Christians, are we supposed to observe Yahweh holy days?

There are no specific "holy days" that the church is commanded to obey We are to observe the Lords Supper as churches, but that is not on a ser schedule.

Israel had 7 and the Sabbath. But we are not Israel but the church.

Having said that as Paul wrote in Romans 14:

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

So if you opt to celebrate days like Christmas Easter. Valentines day etc.etc.etc. do all to the glory of God!

Reactions: historyb

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Exodus12:14 And this day shall be unto you for a memorial; and ye shall keep it a feast to the LORD throughout your generations; ye shall keep it a feast by an ordinance for ever.

In each holy day he gives to the children of Israel..notice I did not say only to jewish people but the children of Israel. So in each holy day that God instructs, He said it should be observed forever, even into the Kingdom. The scripture is pretty clear that holy days were given to children of Israel and the strangers as an everlasting ordinance

It is for the Jewish people not gentiles, we are not children of Israel. Christian are not under the old covenant, Christ created a new Covenant of Grace and He invites you in. May you someday join the wedding feast of the Lamb

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In each holy day he gives to the children of Israel..notice I did not say only to jewish people but the children of Isreal. So in each holy day that God instructs, He said it should be observed forever, even into the Kingdom. The scripture is pretty clear that holy days were given to children of Israel and the strangers as an everlasting ordinance

Well if you knew anything about the JW, you would know they remember the memorial of Jesus Christ just as Jesus commanded, which he instituted on the passover. It's the only holy day they remember since it's the only day and way Jesus said to remember him. True christians observe the memorial of Jesus Christ.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if you knew anything about the JW, you would know they remember the memorial of Jesus Christ just as Jesus commanded, which he instituted on the passover. It's the only holy day they remember since it's the only day and way Jesus said to remember him. True christians observe the memorial of Jesus Christ.

True Christians do partake of the Lords Supper. But Jesus did not command it to be done on Passover. He celebrated it on Passover, for He explained to teh apostles the meaning of the second bread and third cup of wine used at a Passover Seder. As it says in Hebrews the old was filled with celebrations that were tyoes and shadows and Jesus explained these two tyoes of teh 2nd loaf and the third cup at the Seder.

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True Christians do partake of the Lords Supper. But Jesus did not command it to be done on Passover. He celebrated it on Passover, for He explained to teh apostles the meaning of the second bread and third cup of wine used at a Passover Seder. As it says in Hebrews the old was filled with celebrations that were tyoes and shadows and Jesus explained these two tyoes of teh 2nd loaf and the third cup at the Seder.

When Jesus and his disciples partake the wine and the bread, it was done on Passover which it was included in passover seder. I know this because I done this before about few years ago by first started with my jewish friend. When I started to do passover , it has make a lot of sense and clarity. Since then, I have been reading the hebrew scripture, to understand it in hebrew perspective. God has shown me that the Passover, feast of unleavened bread bread ,and other holy days, it is not only for the jews (house of judah), nor the House of Israel. It is for all who love him and keep his commandments for both Israel (native born) and nation (sojourner, stranger).

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus Christ instituted the memorial of his death on the passover, you may think that, to be insignificant, that Jesus instituted it on the passover, but I don't. Jesus said that when we commemorate this day we would be commemorating his death.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus Christ instituted the memorial of his death on the passover, you may think that, to be insignificant, that Jesus instituted it on the passover, but I don't. Jesus said that when we commemorate this day we would be commemorating his death.

Hello Barney,

Jesus is indeed our Paschal Lamb. And we celebrate the feast daily.

Now that the Church has grown and filled the whole world, i expect that not an hour goes by without the feast being celebrated somewhere, and so truly is Malachi 1:11 fulfilled..

For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been been celebrating passover about 4 years. God has really bless me for it and He wants me to share it. I believe all believers should be observing passover instead of this pagan easter.

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Barney,

Jesus is indeed our Paschal Lamb. And we celebrate the feast daily.

Now that the Church has grown and filled the whole world, i expect that not an hour goes by without the feast being celebrated somewhere, and so truly is Malachi 1:11 fulfilled..

For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

I understand that others observe this memorial of Jesus Christ death more frequently during the year, but the passover which is an annual event is when Jesus instituted the memorial, and isn't true that Jesus died on the passover?

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand that others observe this memorial of Jesus Christ death more frequently during the year, but the passover which is an annual event is when Jesus instituted the memorial, and isn't true that Jesus died on the passover?

You are correct. The passover is eternal

Exo 12:42 It is a night to be much observed unto the LORD for bringing them out from the land of Egypt: this is that night of the LORD to be observed of all the children of Israel in their generations.

And for native born and the stranger

Number 9:14 And if a stranger shall sojourn among you, and will keep the passover unto the LORD; according to the ordinance of the passover, and according to the manner thereof, so shall he do: ye shall have one ordinance, both for the stranger, and for him that was born in the land.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus and his disciples partake the wine and the bread, it was done on Passover which it was included in passover seder. I know this because I done this before about few years ago by first started with my jewish friend. When I started to do passover , it has make a lot of sense and clarity. Since then, I have been reading the hebrew scripture, to understand it in hebrew perspective. God has shown me that the Passover, feast of unleavened bread bread ,and other holy days, it is not only for the jews (house of judah), nor the House of Israel. It is for all who love him and keep his commandments for both Israel (native born) and nation (sojourner, stranger).

the last words are important- sojourner and stranger in the land. that means if you live in Israel you should observe the jewish feasts. But they are not for the church as an ordinance. If one in the Body wishes to keep them, they are free to do so.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The reason He instituted it on Passover was that the bread and wine were part of the Passover Seder!

The bread was the middle bread of a trifolded napkin with three unleavened loaves.

The Cup was the third of four cups passed on passover and was the cup of redemption!

Jesus never even hinted at remembering the day, but remembering Him when the bread and wine were given as a symbol of HIs body and blood!

If an individual or sect wishes to establish times to celebrate- that is fine. but one does not sin if they celebrate outside of any man made timetable.

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the last words are important- sojourner and stranger in the land. that means if you live in Israel you should observe the jewish feasts. But they are not for the church as an ordinance. If one in the Body wishes to keep them, they are free to do so.
Actually, the church is the house of Israel. We joined together with the house of Judah

Jan 16, 2021
Austin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason He instituted it on Passover was that the bread and wine were part of the Passover Seder!

The bread was the middle bread of a trifolded napkin with three unleavened loaves.

The Cup was the third of four cups passed on passover and was the cup of redemption!

Jesus never even hinted at remembering the day, but remembering Him when the bread and wine were given as a symbol of HIs body and blood!

If an individual or sect wishes to establish times to celebrate- that is fine. but one does not sin if they celebrate outside of any man made timetable.
I would have to strongly disagree with your interpretation.

Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

17 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:

18: For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body Jesus which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

You see there in beginning verse 15, Jesus has a desire to have Passover with the disciples. After this passover was over, he wont have a passover and drink the fruit of the vine again until the Kingdom of God comes. Then Jesus took the bread and the wine, and give it to the disciples. Then he said, "do this in remembrance of me." So you have to look at this way...When do they partake the bread and the wine during Passover? During the Passover! It is pretty clear in context. When passover comes, and when you partake the bread and the wine during passover, what did Jesus wanted to remember? Remember him! Because he is the passover lamb! Just like Israel remember that God delivered the children of Israel from the bondage of Egypt with His out stretch arm, and the same way, we would remember that Jesus has delivered us from bondage of sin.