Should Christians play video games?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Games hey!....and the people sat down to eat and drink and rose to play....Exodus 32:6

Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. 1 Cor. 10:7

not to change the subject but the title is:
Although I don’t play video games...I have seen how violent and vulgar some can be. Do you mean all video games? What about games on tablets. What about cell phones? I’ve played candy crush ...is that wrong? Just an opinion...Cell phones can be just as addicting as ‘video games’ and fall under play-time or me-time or wasting- time or idleness. not to mention the same vulgarity and violence is readily available on any electronic. So do you mean all electronics or just video games?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not accusing your actions at all
I am just debating your rhetoric.

And your rhetoric is that video games are setting some wicked thing before your eyes. I really don't see that as reality.

Psalms 101:3

"I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

What is it that the writer of Psalms is specifically speaking of here? It's not video games I can tell you that with a surety.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
not to change the subject but the title is:
Although I don’t play video games...I have seen how violent and vulgar some can be. Do you mean all video games? What about games on tablets. What about cell phones? I’ve played candy crush ...is that wrong? Just an opinion...Cell phones can be just as addicting as ‘video games’ and fall under play-time or me-time or wasting- time or idleness. not to mention the same vulgarity and violence is readily available on any electronic. So do you mean all electronics or just video games?

Even though I don't play Candy Crush, playing real life candy crush is yum!!!

images

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not accusing your actions at all
I am just debating your rhetoric.
Let's examine this verse as you have clearly created your own meaning:

"I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

What the author here is describing is clearly a whore.

Genesis 2:24, KJV: "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

Do you disagree? Let's not try and define ourselves what sin is for everyone else, which is the effect of your rhetoric I've been reviewing.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
And your rhetoric is that video games are setting some wicked thing before your eyes. I really don't see that as reality.

What is it that the writer of Psalms is specifically speaking of here? It's not video games I can tell you that with a surety.

Now you are using a strawman fallacy. If you read my comments on this thread you would see I am not debating video games but ways of thinking.
You believe that you are immune to being effected by what your eyes see. That is not true and a lie of satan that will get you harmed.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you are accusing me of a strawman fallacy. If you read my comments on this thread you would see I am not debating video games but ways of thinking.
You believe that you are immune to being effected by what your eyes see. That is not true and a lie of satan that will get you harmed.

I would ask you to prove this using scripture please. Then we can debate.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Let's examine this verse as you have clearly created your own meaning:

What the author here is describing is clearly a whore.

Genesis 2:24, KJV: "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

Do you disagree? Let's not try and define ourselves what sin is for everyone else, which is the effect of your rhetoric I've been reviewing.

That verse looks like it's talking about adultery but the overall point "no wicked thing before my eyes" applies to anything wicked.
My rhetoric does not define what sin is for others, rather that sin is harmfull and no one gets away with it unscathed. That is what some of you don't grasp.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So what are your opinions on Christians playing games like

Sonic, Megaman, Rachet & Clank, Mario, Donkey Kong, FIFA, Candy Crush?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That verse looks like it's talking about adultery but the overall point "no wicked thing before my eyes" applies to anything wicked.
My rhetoric does not define what sin is for others, rather that sin is harmfull and no one gets away with it unscathed. That is what some of you don't grasp.

Or maybe you're holding onto that idea to firmly and believe it which is altering your experiences with video games? Others may not believe that and so it does not affect them.

Like I said, doctors have to see naked people, lawyers, judges and police have to witness murders and other sinful deeds, and EMT have to see horrific scenes. They set wickedness before their eyes and use it for good. So then what makes you think I can't do the same?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read the fall of genisis.
The serpent made Eve doubt that eating the fruit would be harmful and what resulted was the fall of mankind.
See my post #110, Eve ate the fruit, it wasn't the serpent that caused her to sin, she willingly sinned as a result of a lie fed her, it took her action to sin, not a lie. The lie itself was not sin to Eve. Can you see the error in your discernment of that scripture?

I would argue that the serpent temps the followers of Christ continually. You probably won't escape that in this life.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I had a lot of fun playing Mario Kart with my nephews. :)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a lot of fun playing Mario Kart with my nephews. :)

Tried playing video games before with my grandchildren and I don’t see how they do it. Those controllers are difficult to work! They would ask me to play (which only lasted a few minutes) just so they could laugh at how terrible I am at moving around in the game...things as simple as walking.

Reactions: dev553344

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with them.
However, I have seen a lot of acceptance of things that are harmful on these boards, and I want to challenge peoples thinking.

Reactions: Josho

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tried playing video games before with my grandchildren and I don’t see how they do it. Those controllers are difficult to work! They would ask me to play (which only lasted a few minutes) just so they could laugh at how terrible I am at moving around in the game...things as simple as walking.

I had the same problem with the newer games, you actually have to practice for a while before your brain adjusts to the controller. It's like learning a new language.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
See my post #110, Eve ate the fruit, it wasn't the serpent that caused her to sin, she willingly sinned as a result of a lie fed her, it took her action to sin, not a lie. The lie itself was not sin to Eve. Can you see the error in your discernment of that scripture?

1 tim 2:14 says that Eve was decieved. She doubted the consequences of the fall.
Likewise you are deceiving yourself if you believe you won't be effected by what your eyes see.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Debating spiritual issues with some people is like telling a child they shouldn't touch a hot stove.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 tim 2:14 says that Eve was decieved. She doubted the consequences of the fall.
Likewise you are deceiving yourself if you believe you won't be effected by what your eyes see.

I'm not affected as you suggest. What you're saying isn't true to me. I think I've made my point, and I edited the post #111 to add the Satan tempts the followers of Christ continually, which is something I believe.

So what sin is it you think a game is going to trick me into? Since you've brought up the fall and the temptation of the serpent and Eve's eventual sin.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
I'm not affected as you suggest. What you're saying isn't true to me.

You have been throwing around words like wisdom while arguing against wisdom.
What you see and experience has consequences. I feel like I'm talking to a todler who thinks that touching a hot stove won't burn.
It would be much easier for me to tell you, you're right and you can go hurt yourself. So fine have it your way, don't say you weren't warned.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had the same problem with the newer games, you actually have to practice for a while before your brain adjusts to the controller. It's like learning a new language.

I do wish all the grandchildren would spend less time on gaming or staring at screens, and more time outside being children. Especially with their brothers and sisters. But I also feel the same way about all devices. Not just gaming. I struggle and have to remind myself to put down the devices and connect face to face.