Should Christians play video games?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have been throwing around words like wisdom while arguing against wisdom.
What you see and experience has consequences. I feel like I'm talking to a todler who thinks that touching a hot stove won't burn.
It would be much easier for me to tell you, you're right and you can go hurt yourself. So fine have it your way, don't say you weren't warned.

I assure you your talking to a well educated adult. And I find that the affect of you telling me the game will cause me to sin is a form of suggestion temptation. I think you're the one deceived by Satan and acting on his behalf here. I think you should steer clear of telling people that media will cause them to sin.

You could read the psychology article on video game violence to get yourself educated: Violent Video Games: Myths, Facts, and Unanswered Questions

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
I assure you your talking to a well educated adult. And I find that the affect of you telling me the game will cause me to sin is a form of suggestion temptation. I think you're the one deceived by Satan and acting on his behalf here. I think you should steer clear of telling people that media will cause them to sin.

Once again you're using a strawman. I'm not saying anything about video games I'm debating your rhetoric.
I haven't said that a game will cause you to sin. I have said that what you experience has an effect on you spiritually and no one is immune to that.
What is the point of being a well educated adult without spiritual lenses?
How long have you been walking with the Lord? How many years have you been growing in him?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again you're using a strawman. I'm not saying anything about video games I'm debating your rhetoric.
I haven't said that a game will cause you to sin. I have said that what you experience has an effect on you spiritually and no one is immune to that.
What is the point of being a well educated adult without spiritual lenses?
How long have you been walking with the Lord? How many years have you been growing in him?

You brought up Even and the fall being tempted by Satan, and also a child touching a hot stove. Both of these suggest that you did say that video games will cause you to sin, now your backtracking, which is a good thing actually.

I'm not on trial here, games are, let's not make this personal.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
You brought up Even and the fall being tempted by Satan, and also a child touching a hot stove. Both of these suggest that you did say that video games will cause you to sin, now your backtracking, which is a good thing actually.

I'm not on trial here, games are, let's not make this personal.

I am not backtracking at all.
You are reading into falesly what I'm saying because you lack discernment.

Eve being tempted by satan and a child touching a hot stove was mentioned to exemplify things not being harmless.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not backtracking at all.
You are reading into falesly what I'm saying because you lack discernment.

Eve being tempted by satan and a child touching a hot stove was mentioned to exemplify things not being harmless.

Yes you say not harmless, and then you're saying harmful then. How is it harmful then? Somehow I doubt you can answer that without backtracking again, lol.

From what I read in the psychology journals, the studies that involved violent games showed that the people that committed violence after playing those games had already violent tendencies.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Yes you say not harmless, and then you're saying harmful then. How is it harmful then? Somehow I doubt you can answer that without backtracking again, lol

You seem to be lacking in the intelligence to see that I'm debating abstract concepts, not literal things such as video games.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be lacking in the intelligence to see that I'm debating abstract concepts, not literal things such as video games.
You're keep insulting me. I find that behavior also tempts me. I'm not going to keep opening myself up to your temptations. I'm done.

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do wish all the grandchildren would spend less time on gaming or staring at screens, and more time outside being children. Especially with their brothers and sisters. But I also feel the same way about all devices. Not just gaming. I struggle and have to remind myself to put down the devices and connect face to face.

I guess it depends.

If you barely have any friends that you can see face to face in real life, it can be hard.

R

Rita

I guess it depends.

If you barely have any friends that you can see face to face in real life, it can be hard.
My son suffers with agraphobia and social anxiety - the internet gives him life lines to many friends around the world. If he didn’t have that he would just be so isolated.
I believe everything is okay in moderation, however we can and do get pulled into ‘ addiction ‘ mode most of the things that are being discussed are no different to how the radio, tv and cinemas were viewed when I was growing up. Regardless of how we view them, they are distractions, sometimes we need to escape as it can helps our bodies to unwind physically, but I do believe there is a thin line between what is healthy and what is unhealthy spiritually.
I don’t think anyone can say that these things cannot influence in negative ways, but equally there can be positives as well. There are many games out there that link people together. Through those links my son has contact with three friends who are Christians, he met them through the Zelda groups. They have gone on to form discussion groups, they can communicate their beliefs through those discussions.
Rita

Reactions: Josho

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My son suffers with agraphobia and social anxiety - the internet gives him life lines to many friends around the world. If he didn’t have that he would just be so isolated.
I believe everything is okay in moderation, however we can and do get pulled into ‘ addiction ‘ mode most of the things that are being discussed are no different to how the radio, tv and cinemas were viewed when I was growing up. Regardless of how we view them, they are distractions, sometimes we need to escape as it can helps our bodies to unwind physically, but I do believe there is a thin line between what is healthy and what is unhealthy spiritually.
I don’t think anyone can say that these things cannot influence in negative ways, but equally there can be positives as well. There are many games out there that link people together. Through those links my son has contact with three friends who are Christians, he met them through the Zelda groups. They have gone on to form discussion groups, they can communicate their beliefs through those discussions.
Rita
@Rita Let's trust your son's contacts with Christians will contribute and add to his potential blessing that he will have through his contacts with you.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess it depends.

@Josho One of Canada's longserving prime ministers, William Lyon Mackenzie King, was sometimes described as a friendless bachelor; on closer study, it boils down to how one really defines 'friendless', and to whether a potential vacuum is actually supplied by spiritual, Scriptural and fellowship resources.