Should I be rebaptised?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are no where near 30,000 denominations in Protestantism. You are very good at being condescending & the repeating your incorrect beliefs but are severely lacking on correct information.:)
No one ever said Martin Luther was perfect after all he spent most of his life under the teachings & rule of the RCC. It is well known fact that Luther was an anti-Semite BECAUSE he was a RC Priest & a German monk that was TAUGHT Anti-Semitism by the Roman Catholic Church in the middle ages and that's what they taught.
The claims about the 30,000 churches -- that is a misconception and it just shows pitiful limited theological education. You've had these false statements about Protestantism corrected many, many times but I guess you think you are insulting protestants by showing your own great ignorance & lack of spiritual understanding concerning the different denominations? Sad for you & the unwillingness to consider anything but RC dogma.
Here's a good video with Ex:Catholic

Yes--the RCC has been antisemitic almost since its inception around 500 A.D. Not surprising that both Luther and Calvin had some strange ideas--they were both brought up in the RCC.

1John 2:27 tells us that we don't need anyone to teach us--that we have the Holy Spirit (and the word that He inspired). The problem seems to be that, without the Holy Spirit, who "guides to all truth," the Bible is a closed book. There are "Christians" in leadership of various churches who are not even believers (see the Letter to the Church at Thyatira). No church has ever been more like that than the RCC--some of the Popes were HORRIBLE people--let alone being qualified to lead God's people.

Last edited:
Reactions: tzcho2

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:39 is a perfect example of the teaching of Infant Baptism.
In Acts 2:38, Peter tells the crowd:
“Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

In the very next verse, he says:
The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

In the OT, adults entered into the Covenant with God and brought their baby sons in by circumcision at 8 days old. The baby boys had NO CHOICE in the matter - yet they were NO LESS a part of the Covenant.

The SAME is true for Baptism, only ALL are invited to be Baptized. Only a Scriptural illiterate couldn't see the type and fulfillment here . . .

It's hilarious how you Anti-Catholics will split hairs and strain gnats all day long in a vain attempt to prove the unbiblical heresy of Sola Scriptura - yet you will reject Infant Baptism which actually has MORE Biblical support.

First of all, you are a liar. I am not anti-catholic. I have always said so. Just because I disagree with much of Romanism, doesn't mean I am anti-catholic.

Second of all, (Acts 2:39) says nothing of infant baptism. The promise is not of being baptized as an infant. But it is salvation to you and your descendants, who are Israel.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right Stranger. No infants have ever been baptized by the direction of the head of the family in the 2,000 year history of Christianity. No scripture says that baptism replaces circumcission.

You are right Stranger. Infants are part of a family but when families are baptized they are not part of a family.

You are right Stranger. I reject the your teaching of Acts 2:39 that is outside the Bible.

You are right Stranger. Baptism is clearly laid out. One has to believe before they can be baptized. Every biblical theologian that says opposite of your teaching and the 2,000 year practice of Christianity is wrong and YOU are right.

Finally....I have switched to your side. What other truths can you teach me?

Does baptism save or is it just a symbol?

If you have switched to my side, why do you ask me? If you have to ask me, then you don't know what side you have switched to. You are so confused Mary.

Quit playing the injured one Mary.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You were given the opportunity to speak out against it. You didn’t.....you can clear it all up right now and speak out against it. OTHERWISE: Silence in the face of evil is evil itself.

I didn't because it wasn't there. So, again, where do you come up with these allegations?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow.....Now you are calling me a liar. Sooooo I am a crazy liar now????

Your pride prevents you from apologizing.....I will add to my prayers that you stop being soooo prideful and start showing some humility.

Mary

Yes, I am. Yes you are. You know you don't pray for me. I have asked you before what you prayed and you never said.

Gee Mary, what do you pray for yourself? Or, do you need it? Or is it just me that needs it? I guess you are so 'full' of it, (humility that is), that you don't need prayer. You just need to pray that others have humility. Because we all know mary is humble.

Stranger

Last edited:

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you suggesting a person can receive the Holy Spirit without water baptism?
Well, ya! the water baptism is done by followers who having believing faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour who make the public testimony of our faith by water baptism. The water immersion baptism is a symbolic act of obedience, testimony of faith, where we follow Jesus example who got water baptised by John & it symbolizes the believer's faith in the crucified, buried and risen Saviour. Also, it symbolizes our dead to sin, burying the old life and our faith in being born again & raised with Christ Jesus in the final resurrection of the dead.

Last edited:

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
First of all, you are a liar. I am not anti-catholic. I have always said so. Just because I disagree with much of Romanism, doesn't mean I am anti-catholic.

Second of all, (Acts 2:39) says nothing of infant baptism. The promise is not of being baptized as an infant. But it is salvation to you and your descendants, who are Israel.

Stranger

The reason why I invariably end up putting RCC-defenders on "ignore" is because they lie, refuse to even attempt to answer legitimate questions, use stupid arguments and a lot of them engage in character assassination. In this particular "discussion" they keep pointing to Acts 2:39 and insist that "children" indicates a young child. If one of my children was fifteen, I would hope he/she had made a commitment to lead a godly life and had been baptized. A child does not stop being a child to someone just because they are mature. I am still a child of my mother even at my age. When you point out that a "child" could indicate a person of any age--they pounce, saying, "Ah ha! Even you say that young children are in mind in this passage!" They are irrational. Just as I probably wouldn't try to have a rational discussion with a dementia patient, so I don't try to have one with RCC apologists. Sad--but that's the way it is.:(

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many parents in this world with children who are making no effort whatsoever to lead them to Christ. I’m encouraged that they are at least making an effort.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason why I invariably end up putting RCC-defenders on "ignore" is because they lie, refuse to even attempt to answer legitimate questions, use stupid arguments and a lot of them engage in character assassination. In this particular "discussion" they keep pointing to Acts 2:39 and insist that "children" indicates a young child. If one of my children was fifteen, I would hope he/she had made a commitment to lead a godly life and had been baptized. A child does not stop being a child to someone just because they are mature. I am still a child of my mother even at my age. When you point out that a "child" could indicate a person of any age--they pounce, saying, "Ah ha! Even you say that young children are in mind in this passage!" They are irrational. Just as I probably wouldn't try to have a rational discussion with a dementia patient, so I don't try to have one with RCC apologists. Sad--but that's the way it is.:(

It is an impossible task as Romanist's and Protestants don't come at the discussion with the same sources of authority.

Stranger

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is an impossible task as Romanist's and Protestants don't come at the discussion with the same sources of authority.

Stranger

Yes, we believe the word of God, as taught by the Holy Spirit (1 John 2:27), is the source of truth and has full authority. The Holy Spirit is the pure teaching authority in the Church. He leads to all truth. Humans, as always, want to be their own gods and have authority over others--to the point that they are willing to kill those who resist. The RCC has certainly not been the only religious group to kill others who do not agree with their dogma, but they are a glaring example. Their teaching and example is a contradiction to the teachings of Christ, who forbids His disciples to "lord it over" others. It was the early church's Ignatius of Antioch (not to be confused with Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits) who first proposed a hierarchy which would have authority. It didn't take long to put the rules of men in the place of the rule of Christ.

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no where near 30,000 denominations in Protestantism. You are very good at being condescending & the repeating your incorrect beliefs but are severely lacking on correct information.:)
No one ever said Martin Luther was perfect after all he spent most of his life under the teachings & rule of the RCC. It is well known fact that Luther was an anti-Semite BECAUSE he was a RC Priest & a German monk that was TAUGHT Anti-Semitism by the Roman Catholic Church in the middle ages and that's what they taught.
The claims about the 30,000 churches -- that is a misconception and it just shows pitiful limited theological education. You've had these false statements about Protestantism corrected many, many times but I guess you think you are insulting protestants by showing your own great ignorance & lack of spiritual understanding concerning the different denominations? Sad for you & the unwillingness to consider anything but RC dogma.
Here's a good video with Ex:Catholic
I obtained the 30,000 number from a study in the World Christian Encylapedia that shows 22,000 independent churches and 9,000 Protestant churches worldwide. If they are independent then they are Protestant by definition. Sooooo I hope that clears that up. None the less there are THOUSANDS of different churches with 100’s of different “truths”. I noticed you didn’t address that FACT. And the numbers come from a Protestant soooo since he is Protestant I agree with you....He had a pitiful limited theological education.

How is it that Luther was inspired enough by the Holy Spirit to correct the 1500 year teachings of the Church but he wasn’t inspired enough by the Holy Spirit to disavow antisemitism and polygamy? Did the Holy Spirit also inspire him to want to get rid of books from the NT??? Your theory makes no sense.....

If it is sad for me and my unwillingness to consider anything but RC dogma wouldn’t the same be true for you and your acceptance of Protestant dogma???

Or is it ok to only accept Protestant dogma? Please explain....

Wow...
a video from an ex-Catholic. I can put two videos up from ex-Protestants for every ONE of your ex-Catholic videos........Sooooo your use of videos from ex-Catholics mean NOTHING......

It makes you feel good though....doesn’t it???

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't because it wasn't there. So, again, where do you come up with these allegations?

Stranger
Your right Stranger. You were never given the opportunity to disavow slavery. It wasn’t there that is why I am unable to quote it....Ooops I can quote it. Here it is: Are you, Quantrill (a supporter of slavery), willing to help free these slaves via financial donation??? Operation Underground Railroad

I pray for you because you support the owning of another human being.

I pray for you because you look to a thief and a unrepentant stone cold killer (Quantrill) as your hero.

I pray for you because you used vile language towards me and called me a liar about praying for you.

I pray for you because I am concerned for you. I prayed for you at Church this morning and I will pray for you again tonight.

Love and Prayers....Mary

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I obtained the 30,000 number from a study in the World Christian Encylapedia that shows 22,000 independent churches and 9,000 Protestant churches worldwide. If they are independent then they are Protestant by definition. Sooooo I hope that clears that up. None the less there are THOUSANDS of different churches with 100’s of different “truths”. I noticed you didn’t address that FACT. And the numbers come from a Protestant soooo since he is Protestant I agree with you....He had a pitiful limited theological education.How is it that Luther was inspired enough by the Holy Spirit to correct the 1500 year teachings of the Church but he wasn’t inspired enough by the Holy Spirit to disavow antisemitism and polygamy? Did the Holy Spirit also inspire him to want to get rid of books from the NT??? Your theory makes no sense.....
If it is sad for me and my unwillingness to consider anything but RC dogma wouldn’t the same be true for you and your acceptance of Protestant dogma???
Or is it ok to only accept Protestant dogma? Please explain....
Wow...
a video from an ex-Catholic. I can put two videos up from ex-Protestants for every ONE of your ex-Catholic videos........Sooooo your use of videos from ex-Catholics mean NOTHING......
It makes you feel good though....doesn’t it???
You're not truly "sad" M , but you are terribly ignorant of facts and have been hard-wired by the Roman Cult which has lifted itself up equal to God in authority & brainwashes & blinds it's followers into believing that the RCC is their intercessor between them and heaven.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
No - you ARE an anti-Catholic.
This had NOTHING to do with the fact that you "disagree" with Catholic teaching. Anybody can disagree and that doesn't make them "anti-Catholic".

What makes YOU an anti-Catholic are your constant lies about what the Church teaches and believes.
You and I have had MANY discussions where I have had to set you straight - yet you persist in your lies. Your use of the term "Romanism" is anti-Catholic.

As for Acts 2:39 - Peter states emphatically that the promise being made to the people he is speaking to is for them AND their children and ANYBODY whom God calls.

You STILL haven't been able to tell me how an 8-day-old Jewish baby can enter a Covenant with God on the faith of his parents - but an 8-day-old Christian baby can't.
Can you explain this??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the Romanist church. You know, the one that gives the cracker but not the wine.

Stranger
And then you wonder WHY I call you an "anti-Catholic" . . .

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which of the 30,000 Protestant denominations is the true church of God?

Which of the 30,000 Protestant denominations is the true church of God?

Question: Which of the 30,000 Protestant denominations is the true church of God?"

Answer:
In order to argue against Protestantism and Sola Scriptura, Roman Catholics will often ask, sarcastically, that if we are to only go by what the Bible says, not church tradition, which of the 30,000-plus Protestant denominations has the correct interpretation? The argument is essentially that, since the Reformation has resulted in thousands of denominations/divisions within Christianity, which is clearly not God’s desire, Sola Scriptura must be invalid and God must have established an infallible interpreter of Scripture; namely, the Roman Catholic Church, the first church, the one true church of God.

The “30,000 Protestant denominations” argument fails on several points. First, there are not 30,000 Protestant denominations. Even under the most liberal definition of what constitutes a denomination, there are nowhere close to 30,000 Protestant denominations. The only way to get even remotely close to the 30,000 figure is to count every minor separation as an entirely different denomination. Further, the vast majority of Protestant Christians belong to just a handful of the most common Protestant denominations; i.e., Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, etc. Yes, it is undeniably sad that there are so many denominations, but the 30,000 Protestant denominations argument is an extreme exaggeration of the reality of the divisions within Protestantism.

Second, even if there genuinely were 30,000 Protestant denominations, one thing all Protestant denominations agree on is that the Roman Catholic Church is not the one true church of God. Protestant denominations are unanimous in rejecting the papacy, the supremacy of Rome, prayer to saints/Mary, worship of saints/Mary, transubstantiation, purgatory, and most other Roman Catholic dogmas. Sola Scriptura has led all Protestant denominations to the same conclusion – the Bible does not teach many of the things Roman Catholics practice/believe. Further, outside of disagreeing with Roman Catholicism, the Protestant denominations agree on far more issues than they disagree on. Most of the Protestant denominations were formed because of a non-essential doctrine, a side issue, on which Christians can agree to disagree. As an example, Pentecostalism separated from the other denominations based primarily on the issue of speaking in tongues. While tongues can be an important issue in the Christian life, in no sense does it determine the genuineness of faith in Christ.

Third, there is no infallible interpreter of Scripture, nor is there a need for one. There is no infallible denomination or church. Even after receiving Christ as Savior, we are all still tainted by sin. We all make mistakes. No denomination/church has absolutely perfect doctrine on every issue. The key is this – all the essentials of the faith are abundantly clear in God’s Word. We do not need an infallible interpreter or 2,000 years of church tradition to determine that there is one God who exists in three Persons, that Jesus died for our sins and was resurrected from the dead, that Jesus is the one and only way of salvation, that salvation is received by grace through faith, that there is an eternal heaven awaiting those who trust in Christ and an eternal hell for those who reject Him.

The core truths that a person needs to know and understand are absolutely and abundantly clear in Scripture. Even on the non-essentials, if Sola Scriptura were consistently applied, there would be unanimity. The problem is that it is very difficult to perfectly and fully apply Sola Scriptura, as our own biases, faults, preferences, and traditions often get in the way. The fact that there are many different denominations is not an argument against Sola Scriptura. Rather, it is evidence that we all fail at truly allowing God’s Word to fully shape our beliefs, practices, and traditions.

Recommended Resource: The Gospel According to Rome: Comparing Catholic Tradition and The Word of God by James McCarthy
Actually - the "30,000" Protestant denomination number comes from a PROTESTANT source - not a Catholic one, the World Christian Encyclopedia (Barrett, Kurian, Johnson; Oxford Univ Press, 2nd edition, 2001).

Finally - your constant use of "Roman Catholic" Church is an ignorant misnomer that I have corrected you on in the past. In fact - I've corrected MANY of you anti-Catholics here on this point - yet you persist in using this false term. It's that kind of idiotic persistence that makes you an anti-Catholic . . .

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not truly "sad" M , but you are terribly ignorant of facts and have been hard-wired by the Roman Cult which has lifted itself up equal to God in authority & brainwashes & blinds it's followers into believing that the RCC is their intercessor between them and heaven.
Wow......I’m not sad? Soooo your calling me a liar? How nice of you....:rolleyes:

According to you as a Catholic I am “terribly ignorant of facts”......Hmmmmmm.....are the Protestants that believe some of the same things that Catholics believe “terribly ignorant” also? Or are they just a little bit ignorant?

Wow......The Roman cult has lifted itself up to be equal to God??? How has it done that? Do you have an example?

Curious Mary

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your right Stranger. You were never given the opportunity to disavow slavery. It wasn’t there that is why I am unable to quote it....Ooops I can quote it. Here it is: Are you, Quantrill (a supporter of slavery), willing to help free these slaves via financial donation??? Operation Underground Railroad

I pray for you because you support the owning of another human being.

I pray for you because you look to a thief and a unrepentant stone cold killer (Quantrill) as your hero.

I pray for you because you used vile language towards me and called me a liar about praying for you.

I pray for you because I am concerned for you. I prayed for you at Church this morning and I will pray for you again tonight.

Love and Prayers....Mary

Where is the Governmental institution of slavery that you are addressing?

Your statements that you are praying for me really have a hollow ring to them when you are also declaring Quantrill as a stone cold killer. In other words if you don't know what you're talking about with Quantrill, then you you can't be trusted about what you're talking about with me.

Your 'concerns' for me, are no concerns of mine.

Quantrill