Should I be rebaptised?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Scriptures testify to such, but most evangelical, non denom, fundamentalist, what have you type of believer does not really harken to Scriptures but what they think it says

Is that so? I have upset many a pastor because I insist on doing what the scripture says which they don't want to do.

In addition, I have a degree in theology from a Bible College that was steeped in the Word and my ministry calling is teaching.

And overall, you're quote is scandalous because you have painted everyone with a broad brush which is not possible.

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that so? I have upset many a pastor because I insist on doing what the scripture says which they don't want to do.

In addition, I have a degree in theology from a Bible College that was steeped in the Word and my ministry calling is teaching.

So I am supposed to be impress because I am not. Big deal you have a degree, it means little. You view Scripture divorced from history just based on the fact of you being a non Liturgical Christian and you follow your own counsel. In other words you are the final authority of what you think Scripture says despite what Scripture says.

And overall, you're quote is scandalous because you have painted everyone with a broad brush which is not possible.

The truth is scandalous. Now are you quite done I find you quite boorish and tiresome

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So I am supposed to be impress because I am not. Big deal you have a degree, it means little. You view Scripture divorced from history just based on the fact of you being a non Liturgical Christian and you follow your own counsel. In other words you are the final authority of what you think Scripture says despite what Scripture says.

The truth is scandalous. Now are you quite done I find you quite boorish and tiresome

Then, might I ask, why do you read my posts? Not logical.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Just my thoughts on this thread. Raised an evangelical, we had infant baptism which I know is not biblical (some parents bypass the pressure by calling it a dedication of the child to the Lord in hopes they get baptised later). Infant baptism is not true baptism so the question should not be "rebaptized"). Consequently, I've never internalized the need for it until fairly recently in history. The more I read the bible, the more I see every convert had a water baptism. While it's not needed to be saved, it's an obedience thing that if you know you are capable, you should do it. I knew I could not face the Lord and justify not being baptized. In other words, he may save you, but keep on disobeying (showing lack of repentance) when you know better and you may not stay that way. Of course there are exceptions such as fear of the water, or being a thief on the cross. But be thankful you are not in those situations! I was completely dunked. No covering the nose allowed! So it was as if I died and rose again which is what it signifies. I gave my testimony beforehand and lightheartedly said when people ask why I waited so long after believing I said Jesus taught at age 12 but was not baptized until 30. So I was just "following the Lord" LOL. So it's never too late.

Now once baptized I take issue with some churches that claim it's not valid unless you are baptized by them, a "true" minister or whatever that means. The issue is between you and the Lord, and it conveys a public testimony of your faith -- not about the baptizer doing all sorts of rituals that they think the Holy Spirit is too impotent and useless unless the Spirit works thru them somehow (c.f. 1 Timothy 2:5). This practice of baptism is taken off the idea of the Jewish mikvah (which is what spurred my interest) in which ritual purification is complete immersion, and the Jewish person basically baptises themselves. Now for those who remember my posts, they know I'm the math/science type. For those who would question the validity of my baptism, I found later that the distance from my a certain stone from my yard (the stone I identified long before then with Christ -- a long story) to the baptismal site at the river is 12240 feet --- the same number of days Christ lived! Now one does not have to believe that, but the number is significant to me, and thus a sign from my Lord. Oh, but it does not end there. I found several astounding "coincidences" at the sight my pastor picked without my intervention. I heard some ministries say that what they preached was not done for 1900 years, or another that threw in the number 17 and then we are supposed to oooo and ahhhh like that's a miracle with one simple number. Well, let's see if any can compete with 12240? And I have other things to show so much that as Psalm 23 says, my (mathematical) cup surely overflows! Not an accident. MY POINT IS THIS when baptized, look for the Lord's verifying signs. And you can do as I did -- I washed and hung up my baptismal suit (a simple pair of swimming trunks and a T-shirt along with the service bulletin.) It becomes a tangible reminder when the enemy attacks. After all, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY goes thru such an act deceitfully unless totally evil or crazy. So it affirms your faith in the Lord, and that you repented. BTW, I threw out the smelly river sneakers. I thought to myself that was a tad much to save. LOL.
It's good to seek to be obedient to Scripture. Acts 2.41-42 is an excellent pattern.

Reactions: Acolyte

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe it is important to have a fellowship of local believers. It doesn't have to be a traditional church. It can be just meeting with one another on a regular basis at your homes.

Membership would not or should not be required though there is nothing wrong with having a membership. I would encourage every fellowship or church to have a good statement of faith of what they believe. Not only does this help those who want to join your fellowship or church, but it makes it easier to contend with false doctrine if it enters your church.

You are right, it is difficult to find a good church today. But, it's important to keep looking.

Concerning your baptism, you don't have to be part of a local church to be baptized. Any believer can baptize. It can be in a creek, lake, river or swimming pool.

Stranger

My husband's grandmother, who adored Jesus, baptized his little cousins in the bathtub, LOL. The children's father (her son) became an atheist after marrying a woman who was an atheist. Their two children were being raised as atheists but my husband's grandmother kept telling them about Jesus and they both learned to love Jesus too. One day, they were reading the account of the Ethiopian Eunuch (the Lord does have a sense of humour--my husband said that his grandma was made quite uncomfortable in trying to avoid explaining was a "eunuch" was). When they came to the part where the eunuch said, "Here's some water, why shouldn't I be baptized?" they both clamored to be baptized. Since it was January, grandma was not about to take them to a lake or stream to be baptized. So, she baptized them in the bathtub! They are both practicing Christians today as are their children. Praise the Lord.

Last edited:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband's grandmother, who adored Jesus, baptized his little cousins in the bathtub, LOL. The children's father (her son) became an atheist after marrying a Jewish atheist woman. Their two children were being raised as atheists but my husband's grandmother kept telling them about Jesus and they both learned to love Jesus too. One day, they were reading the account of the Ethiopian Eunuch (the Lord does have a sense of humour--my husband said that his grandma was made quite uncomfortable in trying to avoid explaining was a "eunuch" was). When they came to the part where the eunuch said, "Here's some water, why shouldn't I be baptized?" they both clamored to be baptized. Since it was January, grandma was not about to take them to a lake or stream to be baptized. So, she baptized them in the bathtub! They are both practicing Christians today as are their children. Praise the Lord.

Praise God. Appreciate that story.

Bathtub's work just fine, for kids small enough. Unless you hold to sprinkling then it wouldn't matter. Whether one is immersed or sprinkled matters not to me. The Lord knows the intent of the heart.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you have it backwards. She was not baptized as an infant as there is no such thing as infant baptism. She just got water poured over her. Baptism is real only if it is in accordance with God. It is not baptism just because someone or some church says it is.

Therefore she is not getting baptized again. She needs to be baptized.

Stranger
LOL....You crack me up Stranger. You tell @historyb how a baptism is to be conducted in accordance to YOUR definition and interpretation of Scripture and state that it is not a baptism just because someone or some church says it is.

Soooooo if YOU say it isn't a baptism then we should believe YOU? But if someone else or a Church says it is a baptism we shouldn't believe them???? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

FASCINATING......completely and utterly fascinating:rolleyes:

Sounds like Baptism is real only if it is in accordance with Stranger!!!!!;)

your keeping me in stitches.....Mary

Reactions: historyb

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL....You crack me up Stranger. You tell @historyb how a baptism is to be conducted in accordance to YOUR definition and interpretation of Scripture and state that it is not a baptism just because someone or some church says it is.

Soooooo if YOU say it isn't a baptism then we should believe YOU? But if someone else or a Church says it is a baptism we shouldn't believe them???? o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

FASCINATING......completely and utterly fascinating:rolleyes:

Sounds like Baptism is real only if it is in accordance with Stranger!!!!!;)

your keeping me in stitches.....Mary

Because my view of baptism is the view of Scripture. No infant baptism. No baptism buy a non-believer. Pretty straight forward.

Baptism is real in accordance with Scripture.

Bitter, bitter Mary. Did a bug fly up your dress? I never hear from you till your stitches need addressing.

Stranger

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is not needed these day's.

JESUS did it all for us........... all we need now is to believe.... and just do our best!!!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Baptism is not needed these day's.

JESUS did it all for us........... all we need now is to believe.... and just do our best!!!

If it is "not needed these days" why did the Risen Lord Jesus tell His disciples to baptize believers "in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit"? (Matthew 28:19)

Last edited:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because my view of baptism is the view of Scripture. No infant baptism. No baptism buy a non-believer. Pretty straight forward.

Bitter, bitter Mary. Did a bug fly up your dress? I never hear from you till your stitches need addressing.

Stranger
Dear, dear Stranger,

YOUR view of baptism is the view of Scripture???? I thought Baptism is real only if it is in accordance with God??? Which one is it???

Did God tell YOU that YOUR view is right???? What else has God told you that us Christians are doing wrong? Please share....;)

Soooooo the next time you chime in on a conversation between me and someone else, which you have done in the past, is that the time "your stitches need addressing"?

I am chiming in now because you made a statement that is not backed up by scripture AND you suggested YOU know how baptism is to be conducted because YOU know scripture better than anyone else what is in accordance with God....you crack me up.:rolleyes:

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
“Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying, ‘Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God’” (Luke 18:15–16).

Paul notes that baptism has replaced circumcision (Col. 2:11–12).

People whose baptisms we read about in Scripture (and few are individually identified) are adults, because they were converted as adults. This makes sense, because Christianity was just beginning—there were no “cradle Christians,” people brought up from childhood in Christian homes. If infant baptism were not the rule, then we should have references to the children of Christian parents joining the Church only after they had come to the age of reason, and there are no such records in the Bible.

A bug didn't fly up my dress. I am just addressing your FALSE belief.

Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
As usual - your aberrant doctrines are base on one of the MAJOR aberrant doctrines o the Protestant Revolt:
SOLA SCRIPTURA

NOWHERE
does the Bible state that everything ewe believe and practice must be explicitly taught on the pages of Scripture. his is a Protestant invention - NOT a Biblical truth.

HOWEVER
- the implicit teaching on Infant Baptism is absolutely in Scripture:
- We see the ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD of Cornelius being baptized based on HIS faith (Acts 10:47-48).
- We see the ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD of the Philippian Jailer being baptized based on HIS faith (Acts 16:31-34).
- We see the ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD of Stephanas being baptized (1 Cor. 1:16, 16:15).

Gee, I hate to be the one to break this to you but "Entire Households" had people of EVERY age living in them - from infants to the very old.

In Acts 2:39, Peter said about Baptismal regeneration, "The promise is for you and your CHILDREN and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

Now for some actual historical proof of the APOSTOLIC Tradition handed down to the Early Church regarding Infant Baptism:

Irenaeus

He [Jesus] came to save all through himself – all, I say, who through him are reborn in God; infants, and children, and youths, and old men. Therefore he passed through every age, becoming an infant for infants, sanctifying infants; a child for children, sanctifying those who are of that age . . . [so that] he might be the perfect teacher in all things, perfect not only in respect to the setting forth of truth, perfect also in respect to relative age (Against Heresies 2:22:4 [A.D. 189]).

Hippolytus
Baptize first the children, and if they can speak for themselves let them do so. Otherwise, let their parents or other relatives speak for them (The Apostolic Tradition 21:16 [A.D.215]).

Origen
The Church received from the APOSTLES the tradition of giving baptism even to infants. The apostles, to whom were committed the secrets of divine sacraments, knew there is in everyone innate strains of [original] sin, which must be washed away through water and the Spirit (Commentaries on Romans 5:9 [A.D. 248]).

Cyprian
As to what pertains to the case of INFANTS: You [Fidus] said that they ought not to be baptized within the second or third day after their birth, that the old law of circumcision must be taken into consideration, and that you did not think that one should be baptized and sanctified within the eighth day after his birth. In our council it seemed to us far otherwise. No one agreed to the course which you thought should be taken. Rather, we all judge that the mercy and grace of God ought to be denied to no man born" (Letters 64:2 [A.D. 253]).

Augustine
It is this one Spirit who makes it possible for an infant to be regenerated . . . when that infant is brought to baptism; and it is through this one Spirit that the infant so presented is reborn. For it is not written, "Unless a man be born again by the will of his parents" or "by the faith of those presenting him or ministering to him," but, "Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit." The water, therefore, manifesting exteriorly the sacrament of grace, and the Spirit effecting interiorly the benefit of grace, both regenerate in one Christ that man who was generated in Adam (Letters 98:2 [A.D. 408]).