Should Intelligent Design Be Taught as an Alternative to Evolution?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

adren@line

Feb 24, 2008
Something tells me that you simply like to argue for arguments sake. Any one who has taken a basic world religions class would know which religions are the oldest and which are the youngest.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44345)
The Vedas are the oldest religious text. They date to 1500BC and are older than the OT. Hinduism in general is the oldest surviving religion. (thats not my claim, that is the claim of the scholars).Wrong answer, they only date back to between 500 and 200BC. While various portions of the OT date back to almost 3000BC. Try again, all you are doing is spreading false propoganda. As far as false prophets, the Bible predicted no one in India nor did the OT. Neither book made any mention of Krishna or the Buddha, neither of whom termed themselves as prophets so your assertion does not stand.And the Buddha has had a tremendous influence across the world, and is not mentioned in the Bible.
Neither was important enough to mention by name.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44350)
good!And yes, gravity is still a theory. Should they take that out too? How about heliocentrism? After all, Christians for the most part of the last 2000 years have believed that the sun revolves around the earth.
Not true, some maybe but not all and that goes for the atheist as well.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44351)
The Buddha was important. His philosophy has had a tremendous impact on most of Asia and is gaining footing in the west. Buddhist philosophy influenced Greek philosophy, which in-turn influenced Christian and Islamic philosophy.There are even thing said by Jesus which were said by the Buddha some 600 years prior.
Try again you are still adhering to hearsay and not the facts.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Robin I am afraid the claim being made about Hinduism being the oldest surviving religion is correct I Googled it. Could not find anything to refute the claim....As far as Buddha goes who knows?

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44353)
That doesnt have anything to do with the Buddha being important.Buddha merely copied his phylosophy from the OT prophets. He may have changed the words around, but he still plagerized.Either way, spirituality and philosophy are not mutually exclusive. Philosophy can be a gateway towards spirituality.Anything can be a gateway to spirituality if God so chooses. He is appearing to Muslims and showing them how false the Quran is. He is appearing to Buddhist and Hindus and proving their faiths false. The Lord works in mysterious ways.Further, people interpret the "spirit" differently. The "spirit" is what drove the 9/11 hijackers to fly two planes into the WTC and what drove the Crusaders to massacre Jews and Muslims. It is also what drives charity with Christian missionaries.911 was greed not spirit. Crusaders was greed not spirit. But you got the missionaries right, so there is hope for you yet.In the end, the spirit can go either way. Since you reject philosophy and logic, you cant really argue with me in regards to a "false" interpretation of the spirit or a true one.
As has been shared, philosophy and logic are flawed, incomplete, ever changing, but the Spirit of truth always stays the same.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44358)
I didnt state the Holy Spirit, I stated the Spirit.The Spirit of Allah drove the 9/11 hijackers, and there faith is no less true or untrue than your faith in Jesus and the Holy Spirit, which has inspired the Crusaders and holy warriors of the Inquisition.The Spirit is also what prompted George Bush to invade Iraq. So how do you know who the Spirit influences and how they influence them? You dont. Its just your word vs theirs.
You test the spirits with the word of God.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(Two;44409)
Hehehehehe.......thats not the first time that errors been made Robin....I almost did the same thing......
Not a biggy for any of you, it has happened all my life.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44419)
Stuff only seems like a mystery or "beyond us" if you havent thought it about it enough. If you think about it enough, then it is no longer a mystery.If you dont care to think about it enough or have better things to do, then dont pretend that "God is above logic" or "God is a mystery" since you wouldnt know.This is easily evidenced via philosophy. There are many ideas and concepts of God that make perfect sense, and hence there is no mystery. There are many more that make absolutely no sense and are based on faith.As far as all faiths being equal and Christianity being the one truth faith, the only way you could know that is if you were fluent in philosophy and practices of all faiths. And you are not, and hence are in no position to make that comment. You are simply regurgitating what your preacher has told you or someone at your church.
Wrong again, I do not take any man or womans word for anything, but the Holy Spirit within me confirms my faith in ways you could not understand, therefor a mystery to you that your math and philosophy as well as logic is incapable of figuring out.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(Two;44428)
Robin I am afraid the claim being made about Hinduism being the oldest surviving religion is correct I Googled it. Could not find anything to refute the claim....As far as Buddha goes who knows?
I will look further into it, but they have found rocks and portions of papyrus and animal skins that date back even further then 1500BC that confirm the OT.Oh and not to challenge you, but when the US attacked Iraq they saw via satilite at least 10 semi truck cross from Iraq to Syria and we also know that Syria was going to let us use their border to attack from up until a few days before the attack. I know this is not definitive evidence for WMDs, but it does bring up alot of questions.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44420)
There are many people who have devoted a considerable amount of time to showing how the Bible and the idea of Jesus is based on previous myths from different cultures. There are also many people who have spent a considerable amount of time to prove that Jesus didnt even exist.The point is that everything negative that can be said about Islam, can be said about Chrristianity. So finger pointing doesnt help.
They have wasted their time. No need for finger pointing, facts all fact when it comes to Islam being the false religion.

its_victoria08

Mar 28, 2008
The biggest problem comes in when evolution is taught as fact, not theory.My Biology book two years ago taught evolution, without a hint that there was any question in the matter. It was taught as fact, and that is wrong because there are still holes in it.Just as science books teach the "theories" of how the universe began, it should teach evolution as a "theory" because that's what it is.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44422)
Something tells me that you simply like to argue for arguments sake. Any one who has taken a basic world religions class would know which religions are the oldest and which are the youngest.
Not when those classes have out dated and biased information.

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(Two;44428)
Could you send me the link you gat this from, everything I find says the date is a guess and not fact. I cannot find any documentery evidence or even archeological. Seems to me someone is just giving Hinduism a free pass where they wont give Christianity one.

adren@line

Feb 24, 2008
Wrong answer, they only date back to between 500 and 200BC. While various portions of the OT date back to almost 3000BC. Try again, all you are doing is spreading false propoganda.
lol.if you say so.
Try again you are still adhering to hearsay and not the facts.
What you and I consider "facts" are two very different things.
Buddha merely copied his phylosophy from the OT prophets. He may have changed the words around, but he still plagerized.
You dont know anything about Buddhism, so do not pretend that you do. Lying is a sin.Either way, Buddhism does not preach a belief in God, preaches in no soul, and in the impermanence of existence. It is a philosophy and a psychological approach to religion and also has a practical side with the 8 fold path.It has nothing to do with the OT or Judaism.
Anything can be a gateway to spirituality if God so chooses. He is appearing to Muslims and showing them how false the Quran is. He is appearing to Buddhist and Hindus and proving their faiths false. The Lord works in mysterious ways.
ok.
911 was greed not spirit. Crusaders was greed not spirit. But you got the missionaries right, so there is hope for you yet.
Such is your opinion.
As has been shared, philosophy and logic are flawed, incomplete, ever changing, but the Spirit of truth always stays the same.
You dont know anything about philosophy or logic, so your opinion on either carries no weight.
You test the spirits with the word of God.
Ok.
Wrong again, I do not take any man or womans word for anything, but the Holy Spirit within me confirms my faith in ways you could not understand, therefor a mystery to you that your math and philosophy as well as logic is incapable of figuring out.
The Holy Spirit is perfectly explainable through psychology and science.
They have wasted their time. No need for finger pointing, facts all fact when it comes to Islam being the false religion.
How would you know if they have wasted their time? Have you read them?You, as well as pretty much everyone who has replied to me in this thread are over their head. You make comments on topics you have no knowledge about. You easily dismiss concepts and topics which are alien to you.You arent doing a very good job of convincing me to convert and to be saved. I have debated against very well-informed Christians who were familiar with religion, philosophy, and science. You arent. You are doing a very bad job. If this were a class on debate, you would get an F.
Not when those classes have out dated and biased information.
You wouldnt know unless you had enrolled in one.

adren@line

Feb 24, 2008
(its_victoria08;44439)
The biggest problem comes in when evolution is taught as fact, not theory.My Biology book two years ago taught evolution, without a hint that there was any question in the matter. It was taught as fact, and that is wrong because there are still holes in it.Just as science books teach the "theories" of how the universe began, it should teach evolution as a "theory" because that's what it is.
Thats fine. It should be taught as a theory. But do you think that ID is a suitable alternative or should be taught alongside?

RobinD69

Oct 7, 2007
(adren@line;44449)
lol.if you say so.What you and I consider "facts" are two very different things.You dont know anything about Buddhism, so do not pretend that you do. Lying is a sin.I have not lied, I have made a legitimate statement. I know what Buddhism is and I also know that much of what is socalled philisophically revealed in Buddhism is plagerized from several religions. Look and compare, I have.Either way, Buddhism does not preach a belief in God, preaches in no soul, and in the impermanence of existence. It is a philosophy and a psychological approach to religion and also has a practical side with the 8 fold path.You may want to look a little deeper.It has nothing to do with the OT or Judaism.I didnt say it had anything to do with either, but I did say its a plageristic belief system that cant even make up its mind what it trully believes.You dont know anything about philosophy or logic, so your opinion on either carries no weight.Only because you have no real defense against me with these weapons of yours when it comes to faith.The Holy Spirit is perfectly explainable through psychology and science.Sorry wrong answer. They are too limited. Psycology would have commited the Prophets and Christ as well as the Apostles, because it is too limited to comprehend any of them.How would you know if they have wasted their time? Have you read them?I have read many things and I am reading you struggling.You, as well as pretty much everyone who has replied to me in this thread are over their head. You make comments on topics you have no knowledge about. You easily dismiss concepts and topics which are alien to you.You know this is the common responce from someone with a superiority complex. You have no idea what I understand, and you could never write anything that is over my head.You arent doing a very good job of convincing me to convert and to be saved. I have debated against very well-informed Christians who were familiar with religion, philosophy, and science. You arent. You are doing a very bad job. If this were a class on debate, you would get an F.If you knew anything about Christianity, then you would know it isnt my job to convert you or try and save you, that Christ job. All I am to do is answer your questions and present others as well as facts. You dont accept those facts, fine, I dont expect you to. As the Bible states, you are blinded by what you think is knowledge and all it is is a crutch, a stumbling block to true understanding. As I have said you dont know what I am familiar with, and I am not here to share credentials, I am here to share truth. Religion is a false concept of man, I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Philosophy is a false concept of man, it blinds man to truth by giving him ideas and theories to hold onto. Science, at its current level is incomplete and not capable of addressing God. I willingly take the F, because Christ will turn it into an A every time.You wouldnt know unless you had enrolled in one.
As I have said, I read alot and study alot, and yes I have sat thru many classes and they do not impress me. Why dont you try studying the Bible and if Christ thinks you can handle some things He will reveal some truths to you that will blow your mind.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Forget it Robin you would be better off arguing with a wall you would get further and the wall would make more sense.........