Should Priests Get Married?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe I just over did my point...my point was simply that..If having a priest married, even a High Priest like Aaron ..is good enough for GOD...then why does man make what he thinks is a better rule than God's.
Whatever denomination.
First of all, he calls them priests, which is not biblical and throws everything out of whack!

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Maybe I just over did my point...my point was simply that..If having a priest married, even a High Priest like Aaron ..is good enough for GOD...then why does man make what he thinks is a better rule than God's.
Whatever denomination.
Rollo agrees with you.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That's ecumenism.
They make deals.
The catholic church keeps their priest single and their nuns single in an attempt to control their lives.
If it keeps working, they won't change.
It's not working.
Isnt the life of a pastor controlled by his superiors?
(Unless it's an independent church)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Whatever denomination.
Nice Avatar!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the infinitely more relevant question is "should Catholic priests be allowed to marry as a drastic measure to assuage the SYSTEMATIC, EPIDEMIC of child sexual abuse among priests?"

Dominican Friar Thomas Doyle, a Papal Nuncio Secretary, said in 1985 that pedophile priests were at that time a "billion dollar liability" to the RCC and that the celibacy requirement creates a "culture of secrecy that tolerates and even protects pedophiles."
This is the kind of post that never ceases to amaze me because of it's abject ignorance of the problem.
The child abuse scandal isn't a "Catholic" problem - but a worldwide problem within Christianity - PERIOD.

The fact is that the problem is WORSE in Protestant churches where the ministers are married.
Pedophelia isn't a single man's disease. MOST pedophiles are married men.

Do your homework . . .
Sex Abuse among Evangelicals worse than for Catholics » Sandpoint ...

Billy Graham's Grandson Says Protestants Abuse Kids Just Like

The larger problem of sexual abuse in evangelical circles - Chicago ...

Protestants can no longer dismiss abuse as a 'Catholic problem ...

Protecting Victims of Sexual Abuse in Evangelical Churches

'Spotlight': It's not just a Catholic problem | Religion News Service

Reactions: GodsGrace

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's ecumenism.
They make deals.
The catholic church keeps their priest single and their nuns single in an attempt to control their lives.
If it keeps working, they won't change.
More ignorant drivel.

Both Jesus AND Paul recommended celibacy as a more excellent way to serve God.
What would you say to them??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course it won't.
If it did, the wives would be in control, and Mr. pope couldn't have that, could he?
I see you've been reading those moronic Jack Chick tracts again.

Get educated . . .

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
This is the kind of post that never ceases to amaze me because of it's abject ignorance of the problem.
The child abuse scandal isn't a "Catholic" problem - but a worldwide problem within Christianity - PERIOD.

The fact is that the problem is WORSE in Protestant churches where the ministers are married.
Pedophelia isn't a single man's disease. MOST pedophiles are married men.

Do your homework . . .
Sex Abuse among Evangelicals worse than for Catholics » Sandpoint ...

Billy Graham's Grandson Says Protestants Abuse Kids Just Like

The larger problem of sexual abuse in evangelical circles - Chicago ...

Protestants can no longer dismiss abuse as a 'Catholic problem ...

Protecting Victims of Sexual Abuse in Evangelical Churches

'Spotlight': It's not just a Catholic problem | Religion News Service

Maybe more is expected from the Catholic Church?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did Jesus recommend celibacy?
Matt. 19:12
For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother’s womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it.”

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe more is expected from the Catholic Church?
How could "more" be expected of the Catholic Church from comments made by people who have NO respect for it in the first place?
I could understand why Catholics would expect more from the Catholic Church - but not from anti-Catholics.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
How could "more" be expected of the Catholic Church from comments made by people who have NO respect for it in the first place?
I could understand why Catholics would expect more from the Catholic Church - but not from anti-Catholics.
It's the one church that, until recently, has upheld moral beliefs and integrity.
More is expected from those that claim moral integrity. It's a natural reaction.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the one church that, until recently, has upheld moral beliefs and integrity.
More is expected from those that claim moral integrity. It's a natural reaction.
And as far as I know - EVERY Protestant denomination claims to have moral integrity as well - so why would the Catholic Church be held to a higher standard - by anti-Catholics??

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What has been posted from scripture is biased and inaccurate. Celibacy is only a requirement for the Latin (Roman) rite. If a seminarian wants to marry, he can join a rite that permits it, or become Protestant.

Celibacy is Church Practice, Not Dogma
Matt. 19:11-12 – Jesus says celibacy is a gift from God and whoever can bear it should bear it. Jesus praises and recommends celibacy for full-time ministers in the Church. Because celibacy is a gift from God, those who criticize the Church’s practice of celibacy are criticizing God and this wonderful gift He bestows on His chosen ones.

Matt. 19:29 – Jesus says that whoever gives up children for the sake of His name will receive a hundred times more and will inherit eternal life. Jesus praises celibacy when it is done for the sake of His kingdom.

Matt. 22:30 – Jesus explains that in heaven there are no marriages. To bring about Jesus’ kingdom on earth, priests live the heavenly consecration to God by not taking a wife in marriage. This way, priests are able to focus exclusively on the spiritual family, and not have any additional pressures of the biological family (which is for the vocation of marriage). This also makes it easier for priests to be transferred to different parishes where they are most needed without having to worry about the impact of their transfer on wife and children.

1 Cor 7:1 – Paul teaches that it is well for a man not to touch a woman. This is the choice that the Catholic priests of the Roman rite freely make.(forbidding to marry is a claim made by ignorant Bible hate cults)

1 Cor. 7:7 – Paul also acknowledges that celibacy is a gift from God and wishes that all were celibate like he is.

1 Cor. 7:27 – Paul teaches men that they should not seek marriage. In Paul’s opinion, marriage introduces worldly temptations that can interfere with one’s relationship with God, specifically regarding those who will become full-time ministers in the Church.

1 Cor. 7:32-33, 38 – Paul recommends celibacy for full-time ministers in the Church so that they are able to focus entirely upon God and building up His kingdom. He “who refrains from marriage will do better.”

1 Tim. 3:2 – Paul instructs that bishops must be married only once. Many Protestants use this verse to prove that the Church’s celibacy law is in error. But they are mistaken because this verse refers to bishops that were widowers. Paul is instructing that these widowers could not remarry. The verse also refers to those bishops who were currently married. They also could not remarry (in the Catholic Church’s Eastern rite, priests are allowed to marry; celibacy is only a disciplinary rule for the clergy of the Roman rite). Therefore, this text has nothing to do with imposing a marriage requirement on becoming a bishop.

1 Tim. 4:3 – in this verse, Paul refers to deceitful doctrines that forbid marriage. Many non-Catholics also use this verse to impugn the Church’s practice of celibacy. This is entirely misguided because the Catholic Church (unlike many Protestant churches) exalts marriage to a sacrament. In fact, marriage is elevated to a sacrament, but consecrated virginity is not. The Church declares marriage sacred, covenantal and lifegiving. Paul is referring to doctrines that forbid marriage and other goods when done outside the teaching of Christ and for a lessor good. Celibacy is an act of giving up one good (marriage and children) for a greater good (complete spiritual union with God).

1 Tim. 5:9-12 – Paul recommends that older widows take a pledge of celibacy. This was the beginning of women religious orders.

2 Tim. 2:3-4 – Paul instructs his bishop Timothy that no soldier on service gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim his to satisfy the One who enlisted him. Paul is using an analogy to describe the role of the celibate priesthood in the Church.

Rev. 14:4 – unlike our sinful world of the flesh, in heaven, those consecrated to virginity are honored.

Isaiah 56:3-7 – the eunuchs who keep God’s covenant will have a special place in the kingdom of heaven.

Jer. 16:1-4 – Jeremiah is told by God not to take a wife or have children.

Graduate-level seminarians

FAQ

God'sGrace, maybe you have 6 seminarians down the street, but it's not an honest statistic.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
And as far as I know - EVERY Protestant denomination claims to have moral integrity as well - so why would the Catholic Church be held to a higher standard - by anti-Catholics??
That's not true.
Some Protestant churches even accept practicing homosexuals and divorce.
And since the CC is a big denomination some journalists do pick on it.