Should Priests Get Married?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi GG,

Maybe attendance in Italy and elsewhere it’s dwindling but here in America priestly ordinations are UP for the last 17 years and graduate level seminarians has stayed consistent WORLD WIDE over the same period. Can you please reference your data?
FAQ

1 Corinthians 7:1-7 answers all three of your questions.

Mary
Is 1 Co 7:1-7 for priests?
No.
Also, I believe we have a different understanding of this scripture. A man should not touch a woman is referring to fornication and Paul is saying that it's better to be married to avoid this.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Either you're extremely dense - or you're just a bad joker because this is about THE most idiotic thing you've ever said on this forum - and that is saying a LOT.
Catholic pastors were around for some 1500 years before there was ever such a thing as a Protestant.
A pastor is a specific type of priest. All pastors are priests but not all priests are pastors.
What do I mean? Some priests tend more to being a good shepherd of his sheep, some priests are good at homilies or sacraments, some are very good at organizational skills, some are good for teaching, for NOT ALL are good for pastoring their sheep --- being understanding and helpful,,,being the type of priest one would go to with a problem.
You have to admit that each priest is different in his way of being of service to God.
Not all priests are also pastors.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Wrong. It is a choice seminarians freely make. No one forces seminarians to complete their formation. They can join a rite that permits married seminarians and still be Catholic. Furthermore, converted ministers who want to become priests in the Latin (Roman) rite can do so.

th

th

Celibacy is a discipline, not a doctrine.
What rite permits seminarians to get married and still be a priest?
Even Deacons cannot get remarried if their wife should die.
Ditto for lay persons who belong to Franciscan orders, for example. They must take a vow of celibacy and charity.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The principle of priests not being allowed to marry is a religious one, not a God wrought one. Jesus has ordained me to be a priest, not some denomination. The Scriptures are in place.

1 Timothy 4:1-3 KJVS
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
[2] Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
[3] Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Every man or woman has his proper gift;

1 Corinthians 7:7-8 KJVS
For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
[8] I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.

It is religion and witchcraft to control the actions of men with religious edicts and laws. God must rule in our hearts, not religion. God has a perfect plan for each person if they will seek Him for it.

Religion cuts off God's perfect will in the life of a person and they do not even seek His face. To find true peace, joy and happiness in this life we must find God's perfect will for our life.

Jeremiah 29:12-13 KJVS
Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.?
[13] And ye shall seek me, and find me , when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Psychology is a form of witchcraft and I hate it! Witchcraft is the attempt to get others to do what you want done. I once worked for a company and the owner's wife had a degree in psychology (witchcraft!) she'd come by and place her hand on my shoulder and say "Frank you're doing such a wonderful job for us, etc etc" !

I hated it! It was sheer Witchcraft. It was insincere and a two year old could have seen through it.

Religion, psychology and witchcraft are synonomous, controlling others or trying to, getting them to do what you want done or what the denominational doctrine says.

Until a man or woman is set free to seek the perfect will of God for their own life there will be no peace and joy. When a person gets tired enough of dead religion they will cry out to God for Him to guide them, deliver them. He will show you what He has put in your heart if you are sincere and repentant.

2 Corinthians 3:17 NASB
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

The spirit of God is rejected and stifled by religious doctrines and denominations that presume to deny the things in scripture the He has plainly eternal for us.

Now if God has placed celibacy into a person's heart and they truly want to serve God in this way then fine. But religion has no right to do this. It is a great evil of religion to demand certain actions of men saying that God has commanded it when He has not.

Some things God does command us enmasse, to wit, the ten commandments. Specific guidance on life matters for an individual is none of religion's business.

Denominational religion is that evil witchcraft that tells men not to seek God for His spiritual gifts, to reject the very words of God and hold to the religious doctrines that men, not God, have written.

Religion cuts God off and attempts to wrestle, no does wrestle His authority from Him. Men that take the words of their religion over the words of God are just plain stupid. It's easier to follow a set of rules than to seek God for yourself. Do not be lazy but seek Him.

Seek God for His perfect will for your life and reject all the thou shall and thou shall nots of dead religion, dead denominations .
I've always said the above.
"Just tell me what to do" !
It removes the relationship and makes it a duty.

Reactions: Willie T

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But your premise rests on contradictions, I am not talking about contradictions. Attempting to turn the table over my statement is an evasion. There is not a single Catholic practice, devotion or doctrine that contradicts scripture. Not one. Only private interpretations.
Mary worship

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Either you're extremely dense - or you're just a bad joker because this is about THE most idiotic thing you've ever said on this forum - and that is saying a LOT.
Catholic pastors were around for some 1500 years before there was ever such a thing as a Protestant.
PROVE IT!

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong. It is a choice seminarians freely make. No one forces seminarians to complete their formation. They can join a rite that permits married seminarians and still be Catholic. Furthermore, converted ministers who want to become priests in the Latin (Roman) rite can do so.

I'm afraid your equivocation is nothing but a distinction without a difference. Your "explanation" dies the death of a thousand qualifications. The bottom line is painfully clear. Neither Jesus nor Paul required a "choice" between celibacy and vocation. The choice they invoked was between celibacy and no celibacy. Period. Herein Rome errs.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 5:9-10 KJVS
And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
[10] And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

The very head, the founder of the church has named us, NO...Made us kings and priests. No other being has authority to do this.

Bright expensive robes, fancy head pieces, rooms filled with incense do not make for priests. Only the word of the living God.
We do not spend our days receiving praise and congratulations on our office but in being a servant of the lowest order... In the eyes of men. Once a person is puffed up with pride their ability to minister God's word and love vanishes.

But thank God for His ordination! If our excellent Heavenly Father can take a piece of human refuse like me, forgive me, cleanse me with the blood of Jesus the Christ and make me a priest and king then truly with God all things are possible.

It's a principle with God. Whenever you see someone that God has called to do something then in the natural that person is the least qualified to do the job. It's the anointing that breaks the yoke and qualifies.

Romans 3:27 KJVS
Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

What do kings do? Watch over he kingdom. What do priests do? Minister to the people of the kingdom.

Religion has most certainly perverted the words of God but we who are the true kings and priests, the true saints (not ones elected by committee) know that all is by the spirit of God and not by will of men with their cross purposes.

And as for us;

Isaiah 58:11-12 NASB
"And the Lord will continually guide you, And satisfy your desire in scorched places, And give strength to your bones; And you will be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.
[12] "Those from among you will rebuild the ancient ruins; You will raise up the age-old foundations; And you will be called the repairer of the breach, The restorer of the streets in which to dwell.

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is celibacy or remaining unmarried required to serve as a "priest" ? First off, there is no "priest" that serves as an intercessor between God and the "common" people, but all prayers and supplications are to be directed to God through Jesus as the mediator or intercessor.(John 14:6; 1 Tim 2:5)

And second, there is no requirement for anyone to remain unmarried to serve in positions of oversight. The apostle Peter was married, for at Matthew 8:14, it says that "Jesus, on coming into Peter's house, saw his mother-in-law lying down and sick with fever", which Jesus cured.(Matt 8:15)

And at 1 Corinthians 9, the apostle Paul noted that all the rest of the apostles were married, saying: "We have the right to be accompanied by a believing wife, as the rest of the apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas (Peter), do we not ?"(1 Cor 9:5)

And at 1 Timothy 3, concerning the requirements of an overseer, that he has to be "a husband of one wife", if he wishes to be married.(1 Tim 3:1, 2) Then apostle Paul goes on to explain that the "religion" that "forbid marriage" has ' fallen away from the faith ' (or "one faith" that Jesus established as "the truth", Eph 4:5), "paying attention to the misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons".(1 Tim 4:1-3)

Concerning the first man Adam, Jehovah God said that "it is not good for the man to continue to be alone. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him".(Gen 2:18) Hence, he created Eve as his "helper" and thus became "the mother of everyone living".(Gen 3:20)

And then from Jesus words at Matthew 19, that being married or not is a matter of choice, whereby he states: "Not all men can make room for the saying (of remaining single), but only those who have the gift (of singleness). For there are enunchs who were born that way (unable to fulfill their sexuality within marriage because of a flaw in their sexual system), and there are eunuchs who were made enunchs by men (through castration, such as by the Catholic church on young men to sing in Catholic choirs, called castrati, castrating them from the 12th century forward, but only being acknowledged from 1599 C.E. and were not formally banned until Pope Pius X in 1903 C.E.), and there are enunchs who have made themselves enunchs (through self-restraint) on account of the Kingdom of the heavens. Let the one who can make room for it make room for it".(Matt 19:11, 12)

It was not until Pope Callistus II (pope 1119-1124 C.E.) and 1st Lateran Council in 1123 C.E. that marriage was firmly forbidden for Catholic priests, though a document was written some 800 years earlier for those who wanted to be ordained into the "church" to remain celibate (at the Council of Elvira in 304 C.E.) and of which Pope Gregory VII (pope 1073 - 85 C.E.) tried to enforce, but was forced from the papacy in 1085 C.E. by Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV of Germany and died shortly thereafter on May 25 of that year.

Should this not raise a "red flag" since the religion we follow, we depend on as the door to our salvation ? If it has been exposed as ' speaking lies ' that Paul says at 1 Timothy 4:2, what should this cause a person to seriously consider ? If a person finds out that something is wrong in God's eyes, does not a wise person see the need to throw it away and look for that which is the "truth", for Jesus said that his genuine disciples would "know the truth".(John 8:31, 32)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A pastor is a specific type of priest. All pastors are priests but not all priests are pastors.
What do I mean? Some priests tend more to being a good shepherd of his sheep, some priests are good at homilies or sacraments, some are very good at organizational skills, some are good for teaching, for NOT ALL are good for pastoring their sheep --- being understanding and helpful,,,being the type of priest one would go to with a problem.
You have to admit that each priest is different in his way of being of service to God.
Not all priests are also pastors.
I never said that ALL priests were pastors. I was challenging the false notion that the term "Pastor" was originally a Protestant term that was "hijacked" by the Catholic Church.

This is an asinine lie that Rollo is trying to pass off as truth.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary worship
Catholics don't worship Mary - so you've been exposed for lying.
Try again, sparky . . .

A little advice:
If you spent as much time doing some actual research as you do changing your avatar - you might get something right for a change . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The everlasting word of God, perverted by denominations, sects, groups, is the true foundation, not the traditions, doctrinal statements, edicts from self appointed men more faithful to their religion than to God. When doctrines of men supplant the words of God everything is in error.
Defending any denomination rather than adhering to and defending the true gospel of Jesus Christ is an action against God.
I don't care if you are so called catholic or so called protestant, a person is in error when the defense of unscriptural, ungodly doctrines is more important to them than cleaving to God and His unchangeable word.
Who and what are we defending? Our sect, our religion, our denomination or Him that called us to come out and be separate?
Who and what are we defending and why? If it is other than Jesus, His gospel and the word of God then we must repent. The word of God is sharper than any sword and if we are honest then that sword will separate between what is man's religion - the denominations and their traditions and what is God's word.
Rubbish.

The Word of God is NOT limited to th the written Word (Scripture).
Scripture itself assures us of this . . .

2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, EITHER BY an ORAL STATEMENT - OR BY a Letter from us."

The Word of God was NOT limited in the OT by the written - and is certainly not limited by that in the NT, as these examples CLEARLY show:

Matt. 2:23 - the prophecy "He shall be a Nazarene" is ORAL TRADITION. It is not found in the Old Testament. This demonstrates that the apostles relied upon oral tradition and taught by oral tradition.

Matt 23:2 - Jesus relies on the ORAL TRADITION of acknowledging Moses' seat of authority (which passed from Moses to Joshua to the Sanhedrin). This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

John 19:26; 20:2; 21:20,24 - knowing that the "beloved disciple" is John is inferred from Scripture, but is also largely ORAL TRADITION.

Acts 20:35 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the apostles for this statement ("it is better to give than to receive") of Jesus. It is not recorded in the Gospels.

1 Cor. 10:4 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the rock following Moses. It is not recorded in the Old Testament. See Exodus 17:1-17 and Num. 20:2-13.

Heb. 11:37 - the author of Hebrews relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the martyrs being sawed in two. This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

Jude 9 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the Archangel Michael's dispute with satan over Moses' body. This is not found in the Old Testament.

Jude 14-15 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of Enoch's prophecy which is not recorded in the Old Testament.

You also have a problem with Catholics defending the Church - but Jesus didn't. In fact, he asked Saul why he was persecuting HIM - His Church (Acts 9:4-5). He transformed Saul into Paul - one of the GREATEST defenders of the Church.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Revelation 5:9-10 KJVS
And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
[10] And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

The very head, the founder of the church has named us, NO...Made us kings and priests. No other being has authority to do this.

Bright expensive robes, fancy head pieces, rooms filled with incense do not make for priests. Only the word of the living God.
We do not spend our days receiving praise and congratulations on our office but in being a servant of the lowest order... In the eyes of men. Once a person is puffed up with pride their ability to minister God's word and love vanishes.

But thank God for His ordination! If our excellent Heavenly Father can take a piece of human refuse like me, forgive me, cleanse me with the blood of Jesus the Christ and make me a priest and king then truly with God all things are possible.

It's a principle with God. Whenever you see someone that God has called to do something then in the natural that person is the least qualified to do the job. It's the anointing that breaks the yoke and qualifies.

Romans 3:27 KJVS
Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

What do kings do? Watch over he kingdom. What do priests do? Minister to the people of the kingdom.

Religion has most certainly perverted the words of God but we who are the true kings and priests, the true saints (not ones elected by committee) know that all is by the spirit of God and not by will of men with their cross purposes.

And as for us;

Isaiah 58:11-12 NASB
"And the Lord will continually guide you, And satisfy your desire in scorched places, And give strength to your bones; And you will be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.
[12] "Those from among you will rebuild the ancient ruins; You will raise up the age-old foundations; And you will be called the repairer of the breach, The restorer of the streets in which to dwell.
I do have mixed feelings about what you write.
I do agree with what you say and how we could get into trouble by straying away from biblical truth, but don't you feel that children need some pomp and ceremony to make their faith more "real" to them? We can talk to them about God and make God a part of the family, but they also need to "see" something. Kids remember special occasions, especially when church has something to do with it. They might even seem bored at the time, but it lasts in their memory. I do believe that the Catholic churches, Eastern Orthodox and Cryptic have something to offer their children which is rather lacking in the Protestant churches.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I never said that ALL priests were pastors. I was challenging the false notion that the term "Pastor" was originally a Protestant term that was "hijacked" by the Catholic Church.

This is an asinine lie that Rollo is trying to pass off as truth.
I must say that the term pastor was not used when I was growing up. It could have just been that I missed it.

Also, when someone states something, they believe it to be true and they are NOT lying. We've been through this before. You really should stop calling people liars.
A lie is when you KNOW something is wrong and you try to pass if off as truth.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having been saved outside denominational walls I owe no allegiance to any except the Lord.

Lately He has strongly impressed upon me to ask of others "who and what do you defend and why" .

If any of us, no matter our spiritual heritage, find ourself in the position of defending anything that contradicts the written word of God then we are in error. The written word is the constitution of heaven and God is not open to amendments. Those who do not know the written word are apt to be victims of deceiving spirits.

Those that believe in "new revelations" are in serious jeopardy.

Compare everything with the Bible - ignoring the extra books of some sects, and if anything varies then discard it.

One of those extra books states that "ALMS ATONE FOR SINS". This is a frightening example saying that good deeds are equal to the sacrifice of Jesus and to His blood.

Be aware, be vigilant my friends for the devil goes about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. Learn, know the word of God so that you can withstand his lies.

And believe that I have the spirit of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do have mixed feelings about what you write.
I do agree with what you say and how we could get into trouble by straying away from biblical truth, but don't you feel that children need some pomp and ceremony to make their faith more "real" to them? We can talk to them about God and make God a part of the family, but they also need to "see" something. Kids remember special occasions, especially when church has something to do with it. They might even seem bored at the time, but it lasts in their memory. I do believe that the Catholic churches, Eastern Orthodox and Cryptic have something to offer their children which is rather lacking in the Protestant churches.

Our children were home schooled and met the Lord at home though we attended church.

It IS NOT the role of the church to teach the children. The parents must do this. All our children need was live and the word of God. Supposing that this word of God is not enough is a serious error. We see churches filled with entertainment rather that God's words and revival is sorely needed.

Reactions: amadeus

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Having been saved outside denominational walls I owe no allegiance to any except the Lord.

Lately He has strongly impressed upon me to ask of others "who and what do you defend and why" .

If any of us, no matter our spiritual heritage, find ourself in the position of defending anything that contradicts the written word of God then we are in error. The written word is the constitution of heaven and God is not open to amendments. Those who do not know the written word are apt to be victims of deceiving spirits.

Those that believe in "new revelations" are in serious jeopardy.

Compare everything with the Bible - ignoring the extra books of some sects, and if anything varies then discard it.

One of those extra books states that "ALMS ATONE FOR SINS". This is a frightening example saying that good deeds are equal to the sacrifice of Jesus and to His blood.

Be aware, be vigilant my friends for the devil goes about as a roaring lion set king whom he may devour. Learn, know the word of God so that you can withstand his lies.

And believe that I have the spirit of God.
Acts 17:10-11
Revelation 22:18