Should we follow our hearts?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found this meme and thought: wait a minute the bible says the pure of heart shall see God.
Thoughts?
CL_ChristianMemes_642x428.jpg

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Isn't following ones heart being guided by our emotions? It's what is commonly refered to as being soulish; Not a good quality to have.

What is the quality of those pure in heart? It is like having yourself and all your luggage secured for takeoff. Sorry for the bad analogy.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't following ones heart being guided by our emotions? It's what is commonly refered to as being soulish; Not a good quality to have.

What is the quality of those pure in heart? It is like having yourself and all your luggage secured for takeoff. Sorry for the bad analogy.
Yeah I'm trying to wrap my head around that. The heart can be evil or have good desires from God. I think the pure of heart is someone that follows Jesus promptings that he places in our hearts and demands of themselves to follow his spirit. I think our hearts can have evil feelings too though.

I think the heart is connected with spiritual things. God's goodness and Satan's temptations. Did I get that right?

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If the "heart" has been changed, then it is a "different story".

God writes what on our hearts?

Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

God deals with us personally, at an emotional level, through the Spirit of God.

Peace is a feeling/emotion

Col 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Where we find our treasure.......is where our heart is.....

Luk 12:34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Jesus Christ is our treasure......

2Co 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Yeah I'm trying to wrap my head around that. The heart can be evil or have good desires from God. I think the pure of heart is someone that follows Jesus promptings that he places in our hearts and demands of themselves to follow his spirit. I think our hearts can have evil feelings too though.

I think the heart is connected with spiritual things. God's goodness and Satan's temptations. Did I get that right?

There is an order of precedence. I've not seen where our motivations should ever proceed from our heart. That is, I want to be happy so I'm going to do such and such to be happy.

A proper motivation is from the Spirit, God would have me do such and such, and I may gain happiness as a windfall.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is an order of precedence. I've not seen where our motivations should ever proceed from our heart. That is, I want to be happy so I'm going to do such and such to be happy.

A proper motivation is from the Spirit, God would have me do such and such, and I may gain happiness as a windfall.
The Spirit of God puts peace and love, etc. into our hearts though. And should motivate us to act in that peace and love, etc. (Galatians 5:22-25). Which means we will become spiritual men, indwelt with the spirit of God. Although God does not always speak to us and sometimes remains silent. When we are prompted by the Holy Spirit we should act on it, for instance giving charity to the poor or helping someone in need.

Reactions: Lambano

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What about peace? Certainly God gives peace to His Own. Emotional, heartfelt.... peace.

I've found it difficult in my Christian journey to try to get people to FEEL..... after God.

Act 17:27 that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us,

We can claim all the Scriptures we want..... We know the Pharisees did the same..... They never FELT... God.

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Receiving God in redemption and becoming a new creature in Jesus Christ is an extradinarily emotional experience. God gives PEACE in the storm brother. Peace.

Joh 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The Spirit of God puts peace and love, etc. into our hearts though. And should motivate us to act in that peace and love, etc. (Galatians 5:22-25). Which means we will become spiritual men, indwelt with the spirit of God. Although God does not always speak to us and sometimes remains silent. When we are prompted by the Holy Spirit we should act on it, for instance giving charity to the poor or helping someone in need.
Yes, I think a prompting of the Holy Spirit originates from our spirit, which is in communion with God. The command may pass through the soul, and a renewed mind will not hinder us from acting on it.

If we are given peace or Joy, that is a gift which also serves the Lord. Joy is a witness in and of itself, as others wonder what you have. I'm not sure if love can be considered an emotion.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about peace? Certainly God gives peace to His Own. Emotional, heartfelt.... peace.

I've found it difficult in my Christian journey to try to get people to FEEL..... after God.

Act 17:27 that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us,

We can claim all the Scriptures we want..... We know the Pharisees did the same..... They never FELT... God.

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Receiving God in redemption and becoming a new creature in Jesus Christ is an extradinarily emotional experience. God gives PEACE in the storm brother. Peace.

Joh 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
This whole premise falls on the idea that knowing God is an emotional experience. It is not. One of the biggest reasons why there are a lot phony Christians is that they reduce biblical conversion to being an emotional experience. That is evangelicalism, not Christianity.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This whole premise falls on the idea that knowing God is an emotional experience. It is not. One of the biggest reasons why there are a lot phony Christians is that they reduce biblical conversion to being an emotional experience. That is evangelicalism, not Christianity.
I disagree with this. Psalms are a very emotional experience. Worshiping God is also. Emotions are part of the human experience as well as thought and other feelings. God clearly appeals to us emotionally. The difference between spiritual emptiness and being fed by the spirit can be a very emotional experience that is pleasantly filled with peace, love and joy, which are all emotionally felt.

Reactions: Lambano

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I imagine this as a metephor of a blind man feeling out the truth with his hands. Because without being given eyes to see we would be blind, and only know God by some of the things he has done. Nevertheless they were perceptive enough to know that there is an unknown God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found this meme and thought: wait a minute the bible says the pure of heart shall see God.
Thoughts?
CL_ChristianMemes_642x428.jpg
"Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God." Matt 5:8
How may our hearts be purified so as to see God?

"And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith." Acts 15:8-9

By faith, which is...

"...the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

Who is the author and finisher of our faith? Jesus! [see Heb 12:2]

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die..." John 11:26

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your post here describes a way we 'see' God as a believer today with your thoughts concerning Matt 5:8. Those in Christ, in his spirit, do 'see' God with a pure heart today. We already 'see' God in the spirit of his Son.
We see God because we are clothed in Christ's righteousness through our gift of God of saving faith as we live with Christ in spirit.

The Beatitudes were spoke of before Pentecost and not one person could 'see' God in Spirit through his Son.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Should we follow our hearts?
hmmmmm....'the heart of man is deceitful above all things' Jeremiah 17:9
Unless you have a new heart......good luck with that!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we help the needy and the homeless we are doing the Lord's will and perhaps the will of the Father. If I follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit I get return from the Lord, of Joy, Love and Peace. And that makes us rich. He truly has a rich gospel that teaches us to a great way that goes well beyond man's teachings.

Reactions: Carl Emerson