Should we follow our hearts?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Follow your heart" is just an expression, and how many of us have pure hearts?
Not sure as I don't really know what a pure heart is. But I think it's always following the promptings of the Spirit, when God prompts your heart to behave or act in the works taught by Jesus.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure as I don't really know what a pure heart is. But I think it's always following the promptings of the Spirit, when God prompts your heart to behave or act in the works taught by Jesus.
I think of a pure heart as one that has no sinful thoughts.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think of a pure heart as one that has no sinful thoughts.
I'm not sure but the tempter likes to tempt God's children with sinful thoughts. But when we recognize that it is temptation, we can deny the devil and keep our hearts pure. I would think that is close.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How are you doing on your music. How does that affect your heart? Does the Lord bless you with the Spirit when you make music for him?
One great joy with my music is that we have a great lead guitarist in our church, and last Sunday when I asked him if he'd help Linda and me with our CD, he said yes. We have another talented guitarist who will be playing bass for us, I think. I really do love singing and playing my guitar, and it is a real blessing collaborating with Linda Young. It is something the Lord allows me to do.

Reactions: dev553344

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This whole premise falls on the idea that knowing God is an emotional experience. It is not. One of the biggest reasons why there are a lot phony Christians is that they reduce biblical conversion to being an emotional experience. That is evangelicalism, not Christianity.

I don't see any argument nor evidence. Only an opinion based upon a desire to avoid dealing with feelings.

The ONLY way you can tell you're born again is through "feelings". You can claim all the "Scripture" you want to claim but there have been many before that have done the same and failed.....

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
Joh 5:41 I receive not honour from men.

Love is a feeling. Love is an emotion. Fear is a feeling. Fear is an emotion. The love of God cast out fear. The love of God replaces fear when you are "born again"....

1Jn 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
1Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
1Jn 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

Most people reject feelings and emotions in Christianity for one reason and one reason only....

They FEEL TERRIBLE.....

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This whole premise falls on the idea that knowing God is an emotional experience. It is not. One of the biggest reasons why there are a lot phony Christians is that they reduce biblical conversion to being an emotional experience. That is evangelicalism, not Christianity.
Are relationships emotional ?
Do you have emotions with your spouse, childrens, grandchildren , friends ?

God is relational and God is love. God created man to have relationship with his creator. God said it was not good for man to be alone and gave man eve. Why ? to be like Himself and have a relationship with her. God is Triune and Relational within His own nature/Being.

Its why a unitarian god cannot be true for a solitary god who is one person cannot love, know love or experience love.

So emotions are part of Gods own being and ours as humans. Emotions guided by the Spirit are healthy . If you look at 1 Corinthians 13 and the fruit of the spirit its all relational and emotions are part of that experience.

Reactions: praise_yeshua