Should we pray in tongue?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Very good post PariahI might add prophecy means to teach to teach one a truth wether it be a future event or a truth from the Lord that is why tongues is nothing Without an interpetation/Interpter the prophecy can not be taught. It serves no other purpose. Just to speak babble is just to work ones self into a frency like you said same as vodoodancers. Just because it feels good doesnt mean its from God. It just means you have released chemicals from the body into the brain. Thats not God

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;25352)
How do you pray in the Holy Ghost? Jude 20
20But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,exactly how it says setfree by faith If you have faith i.e. belief if one believes with their whole heart that Christ is your savior you have the Holy Ghost(spirit) in you

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
So by faith we pray in the Holy Ghost. It also says building up ourselves in faith by praying in the Holy Ghost. How is our faith built up by prayin in the Holy Ghost?

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Jodycour
Study the scriptures yourself and don't limit God with the gifts that he desires to give to you!Paul made a statement that he wished that they all spoke in tongues!Paul also spoke in tongues!Let the Holy Spirit guide you to the Truth!
You are getting this mixed up,what Paul was saying is that he was able to speak in many different languagesNow lets look at 1 Corint 14:2I Corinthians 14:2 "For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.""Mysteries" as given in the Greek text is "divine secrets"; so why would he be speaking in divine secrets? Note also that the word "unknown" was added by the translators for it just wasn't there in the early manuscripts. Another word "tongue" also come in here and in Strong's Greek dictionary it is # 1100. "Glossa, gloce-sah'; a language, (specifically, one naturally acquired).""Tongue" as given in this chapter is one language that you have naturally acquired by learning. So the tongue that Paul is talking about is a language that is not your natural tongue, it is one that you have acquired outside your home. Remember the great commission that Jesus gave; to take the gospel to the world. If Christians could only speak English, then the other peoples of the world simply would not understand what the gospel was all about. When we try to study the Bible for the truths within its pages, it is a must to have some reference to the original languages of Hebrew, Chaldee and Greek for that is the tongue or language that God's Word was written in. Translators have taken those foreign languages and tried to relate their meanings in English so that the common man could read the Word of God within his own home. This is why when we study the Word for ourselves is it important to have the Strong's numbered concordance and Hebrew, Chaldee, and Greek numbered dictionaries right along with it so that we can understand exactly what God intended us to know. An example of this is above in the word, "tongues"; "glossa" in the Greek, and in the true translation "languages" in the English. So one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is to be able to learn another tongue or language than you were brought up with, so that you can teach someone who is not of your language. There are many neighborhoods that have their common language other than English right here in America. There are Spanish neighborhoods, Chinese, and so on, and if you were to go into those people and present the gospel in English, many of them simply would not understand what you are saying. The reason that it is saying that if you do go out and speak in a place where everyone is of another language then only God would understand; is that only God and the Spirit of God understands all languages. He caused the confusion into the languages at the tower of Babel, and when the true tongue of the Holy Spirit is spoken, it will be as it was at Pentecost. This tongue shall be spoken again when the Elect are brought up to give account of themselves, as recorded in Mark 13:11. When the Holy Spirit's tongue goes forth, every person around the world will listen to it and understand it at the same time and in the very dialect of their neighborhood. This is what is called the "cloven tongue". The "cloven tongue" needs no interpreter for it comes directly from the Holy Spirit. Mark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost [Spirit]."The time that this shall happen is in our generation, just prior to the coming of the Lord. We are not to spend one moment thinking of this time, or in fear of what we should say, for at that moment the Holy Spirit will place within our minds the things that we should say. When the Holy Spirit speaks it will be through our mouths, but His Words. Acts 2:3 "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.""Cloven tongues" are many different languages, and the time it is spoken is when one filled with the Holy Spirit speaks. There will be no confusion to anyone as to what is said, for everyone that hears will understand in his or her own language. The Chinese, Spanish and English listeners could standing be side by side, and each would hear the words spoken in their native language. That is the cloven tongue of the Holy Spirit. This is something entirely different than what Paul is speaking of here in I Corinthians 14. When the "cloven tongue" goes out in all directions it is understood with clarity no matter what language you are in. However here in I Corinthians 14 Paul was referring to one that was speaking in a language whereby the listeners did not understand what was being said to them. Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost [Spirit], and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."Acts 2:5 "And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven."This was the time of the feast of Pentecost, and the Jews came from all over the world to be in Jerusalem during the feast of Pentecost. Though they all probably spoke Hebrew, their native tongue was the tongue of the place where they resided in, and had their everyday conversations in. The other tongues are the languages where there can be no misunderstanding what is being said, for it is the tongue of their family and friends back home. There is nothing unknown about it to anyone, and when you hear that tongue, it is the evidence of the Holy Spirit within you, who are Spirit filled. Acts 2:6 "Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and was confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language."Even a child can understand that when the Spirit of God spoke here that every person, all the people understood. No matter where they were from in the world, they heard the words with clarity. This is what dumfounded them, for it had never happened before. This is why Peter reminded these devout Jews of what the prophet Joel spoke of back in the Old Testament writings. It was a sample of what would come about in the last generation just before the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. It will be the time when the sons and daughters are going to be delivered up before the false messiah, Satan the Antichrist.Acts 2:7 "And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, "Behold, are not all these which speak Galileans?"Acts 2:8 "And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? "These Jews not only heard in their on language but in the very dialect of the neighborhood that they were born. This is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. It is this tongue that will come upon those that are delivered up to fulfill those prophesies of Mark 13:11. So Paul in I Corinthians 14:2 is addressing something entirely different than what was spoken of in Acts 2. He is not addressing the speaking in the "cloven tongue", but he is saying that if you go out and try to speak and teach without the gift of languages, the ability to speak and understand the grammar of another language, that all you would be doing is causing confusion. Those foreigners listening to you would not even have enough knowledge to say "Amen", and know when you were finished.

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi Jodycour,You did not discern Tallman's last statement.
If you have never prayed in tongues, pray for the infilkling of the Holy Spirit, when you receive Him he will satisfy your thirst for God by leading you in tongues.
That is after the rudiment of the world as it is a new age method.Is it not written to seek spiritual gifts? It is not written to seek the Spirit nor are there any invitations to the Spirit. The faith declares that He is in you as promised for coming to Jesus. Everything Tallman has said is apart from the faith, including his tongues. That is the grand delusion in beliving this lie in going after another spirit other than we have already received. This is the proof that we are living in perilous times now. This is the event that takes place before His appearing as the son of perdition event is before His coming.2 Thessalonians 2: 9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 13But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. 16Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, 17Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.Ephesians 1:12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,1 Timothy 4: 1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 2 Corinthians 13: 5Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?2 Corinthians 11: 3But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him. Then the Lord deals with this event by His coming...8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:Thus the perilous times is now before the event of the son of perdition.1Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;So with the Bible handy and tongues were given with interpretation to profit the body withal, what need for tongues when it is the Word that edifies us in the knowledge of Him? Tongues would be unfruitful without an interpretor as well as a prayer language by itself for we lack the understanding, albeit yet we are still edified only in the assembly for what purpose when they serve as a sign for te unbeliever and not for the believer in suggesting one has received the infilling of the "Spirit".1 Corinthians 14: 20Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.... 24But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: 25And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. Since prophesying is the gift to be sought over tongues, which is as kriss explained that it is preaching as I agree on that point, I would think that the Word understood is what tongues were sent for... for the unbelievers.

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi setfree,
So by faith we pray in the Holy Ghost. It also says building up ourselves in faith by praying in the Holy Ghost. How is our faith built up by prayin in the Holy Ghost?
Because if you pray to the Holy Ghost as if He is outside of you or looking for the Holy Ghost moving around in the assembly, that is not of faith. The indwelling Holy Ghost will not seak of himself , but be leading you to and pointing towards your Good Shepherd where the all the invitations poins towards as well as the scriptures testify of and Whom the Holy Spirit in us testify of as He enables us to testify of Jesus also.Thus by remaining in the faith by acknowledging the Holy Spirit is in you and thus praying IN the Holy Spirit, you are continuing to build yourself up in the faith in Jesus Christ.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(Pariah;25420)
Thus by remaining in the faith by acknowledging the Holy Spirit is in you and thus praying IN the Holy Spirit, you are continuing to build yourself up in the faith in Jesus Christ.
I don't think you understand what "praying in the Spirit" is.If you understand what you are praying it's NOT praying in the Holy Spirit.1Co:14:14: For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.:15: What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.:16: Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
(TallMan;25428)
I don't think you understand what "praying in the Spirit" is.If you understand what you are praying it's NOT praying in the Holy Spirit.1Co:14:14: For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.:15: What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.:16: Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
And yet you ignore praying with the understanding also part.I was addressing setfree's question about praying in the Holy Ghost. You went from that reference to a similar topic but not the same topic since the references you are referring to is tongues. Setfree's question was how it builds up in the faith and that faith is that He is in us. Thus by you praying "out" of the Spirit as if you are a leaky vessel that you need an infilling of the Spirit in order for you to get tongues: That is not of faith and neither is that building yourself up in that faith that He is in you as PROMISED for coming to Jesus as Your Saviour. There is a rest for the people of God and yet you have stolen that rest from them with a grand delusion based on a lie.You do not need tongues to pray to the Lord. That is the biggest exaggeration being placed out there as if it is necessary and yet to obtain that is by seeking an infilling of the Spirit... which is a new age method apart from the faith that is declared in Jesus Christ.EVEN you posted unto Whirlwind in another thread that the God's way of salvation was an infilling of the Spirit with tongues and in spite of Whirlwind's posts of confessions of Jesus being the Saviour, you still casted that guantlet out in an attempt to cause him to have doubts that he was saved.So what difference are you from the Catholic Church that cast out catholicism as if faith in Jesus is not enough? Guess what? Catholics speak in tongues too. All that lone singular manifestation of the Spirit, and NO CORRECTION made regarding catholicism. So what is wrong with this picture?Getting tongues by seeking another spirit... is the grand delusion which is a result of believing a lie apart from the sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth for coming to and believing in Jesus.May the Lord deliver you soon. Amen.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(Pariah;25438)
And yet you ignore praying with the understanding also part..
No, I was answering about praying in the Spirit. Praying in the understanding is different, I do that too.It is you that ignore the details on what praying in the Spirit is!(Pariah;25438)
. . . There is a rest for the people of God and yet you have stolen that rest from them with a grand delusion based on a lie.
No, you have:-Isa:28:11: For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.:12: To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.Paul quotes that prophecy in 1 Cor. 14:21-22 and identifies it as speaking in tongues - because in doung so you draw on the Spirit's power & love, not your own ideas or love. Jude contrasts"they who separate themselves (reckon they are holy), sensual, having not the Spirit.with:-"ye, beloved, building up yourselves (i.e. edifying) on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God (19-21)(Pariah;25438)
You do not need tongues to pray to the Lord. That is the biggest exaggeration being placed out there as if it is necessary and yet to obtain that is by seeking an infilling of the Spirit... which is a new age method apart from the faith that is declared in Jesus Christ.
Nonsense, all Jesus disciples (Jew and Gentile) spoke in new / unlearned tongues whem they received "The Faith once delivered unto the saints" (Jude 3), "your most holy (set apart) faith". Jesus said that "believers . .shall speak in new tongues" (Mark 16:17) - when? none had until then!Believers all did (and do) when they receive the Spirit - the new tongue signifies the new heart . . . no new tongue shows no new heart.(Pariah;25438)
EVEN you posted unto Whirlwind in another thread that the God's way of salvation was an infilling of the Spirit with tongues and in spite of Whirlwind's posts of confessions of Jesus being the Saviour, you still casted that guantlet out in an attempt to cause him to have doubts that he was saved.
The bible says we are saved by receiving the infilling of the Spirit as detailed, not by "confessions of Jesus being the Saviour" . . that's a words-only false gospel, even the devils confess Jesus is the saviour.(Pariah;25438)
So what difference are you from the Catholic Church that cast out catholicism as if faith in Jesus is not enough? Guess what? Catholics speak in tongues too. All that lone singular manifestation of the Spirit, and NO CORRECTION made regarding catholicism. So what is wrong with this picture?
It's not faith in the bits of Jesus that you are comfortable with, it's the faith of Jesus, as delivered from Pentecost onwatds, in accordance with Jesus' words.You reject this faith.(Pariah;25438)
Getting tongues by seeking another spirit... is the grand delusion which is a result of believing a lie apart from the sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth for coming to and believing in Jesus.
No other Spirit gives miraculous new language that edifies the speaker in the faith of Jesus.You are seeking another spirit by promoting another gospel to the one delivered to people in Acts.You are living up to your name.

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
The defense that God does not change to validate the continuing use of tongues is a not an excuse to continue practising tongues with no interpretation and out of order.God doesn't change, but conditions regarding us do change.Before the Flood, man and animals were vegetarians. After the Flood, that changed. Noticed that God decreed it os before the Flood and decreed differemtly after the Flood.Genesis 1: 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. 29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 30And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. Then after the Flood:Genesis 9: 1And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth. 2And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. 3Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. Now.. note the decree God gave to Noah and his sons. No one else. We know that God decreed them specifically to multiply and replenish the earth, because they were the only ones there. Note the commandments later given when God changed the decrees because the conditions regarding the first decree was now different in Leviticus 18 for there were more people that it would be a sin to marry within the family. Note all that was decreed as an abomination from that point on.Leviticus 18: 1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, I am the LORD your God. 3After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances. 4Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the LORD your God.5Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD. 6None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the LORD.....9The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover. BUT before Leviticus 18 was decreed, what did Abraham do?Genesis 20: 11And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake. 12And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife. Abraham did not commit incest because the conditions for the decree in Leviticus 18 had not been reached yet for there were yet not enough people to give it yet. Out of the land of Egypt, the Israelites came as a multitude.. a people.. a nation. Thus the decree was not issued not to marry within the family as described in Leviticus chapters 6 thru 18.God also made this drecree:Genesis 9: 12And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. 14And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: 15And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. 17And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.We still have floods world-wide to even tsunamis, but His decree still stands as there is no world-wide flood since the decree.The point? Saying God does not change in regards to the use of tongues is not a validation that tongues are continuing. If we are edified by the Word, and tongues were given as a sign for the unbelievers for them to hear the Word understood, and tongues in the assembly is to be accompanied by an interpretor as all manifestations of the Spirit are given to profit the body withal thus tongues alone is fruitless without understanding, and with the KJV Bible right there for us to seek the scriptures to learn of Him, as prophesy is to be sought over tongues, then the use of tongues has ceased because the conditions for them has ceased.

Terral

Dec 3, 2007
Hi Amoy:
Amoy >> Recently I have a problem...Because I read that in 1 Corinthians 14 talk about pray in tongue...So I am not sure about that..So can anybody let me know about this?
The sign gift of ‘tongues’ has nothing to do with you at all, as the temporary gifts of prophecy, knowledge and tongues were “done away” (1 Corinthians 13:8-10) almost 2000 years ago. Nobody here has experienced the true gift of tongues in their lifetime, but MANY babble aimlessly without knowing any difference. Let’s go back to Pentecost and examine ‘true tongues’ in a real context:
“Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was HEARING them speak in HIS OWN LANGUAGE. They were amazed and astonished, saying, "Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we each HEAR them in OUR OWN LANGUAGE to which we were born?" Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs – we HEAR them in OUR OWN TONGUES speaking of the mighty deeds of God." Acts 2:5-11.
Three times Scripture defines ‘true’ Biblical Tongues as a large group of people all HEARING the speaker IN HIS OWN LANGUAGE, which has nothing to do with anyone babbling away about nothing at all. True Bible Tongues is taking place in your presence, when the German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese and Chinese members all HEAR the same speaker SPEAKING in THEIR OWN LANGUAGES at the very same time. Since you would be HEARING any speaker in your OWN LANGUAGE, then you would need the testimony of others to even know true Biblical Tongues was even being spoken in your midst. Those blinded by their Denominationalism run around babbling and pretending this equals Biblical Tongues, because Pentecostalism is just another form of the “mystery of iniquity” (2 Thessalonians 2:7-12) where people are forced into believing “what is false” by the “deluding influence” (2 Thessalonians 2:11) all their days. These sign gifts of the “Gospel of the Kingdom” (http://www.christianityboard.com/one-two-g...ment-t4736.html) are included in Paul’s words to these Corinthians, because many members of the Prophetic Kingdom “Bride” (John 3:29) are members to this very large assembly of believers. These are the people that Paul describes being “of Apollos” and “of Cephas” (1 Corinthians 1:12), just like the Jews saved at Pentecost by repentance, water baptism and the laying of hands for the Holy Spirit. Those among you mixing the two gospels of the New Testament together have yet to begin ‘rightly dividing’ (2 Timothy 2:15) the word of truth (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c266/Terral03/30.jpg) for the Prophetic Kingdom Bride (Kingdom Epistles) and the Mystery Body of Christ (Pauline Epistles) still in the world today. Peter, John, James, the Samarians (Acts 8:12-17), Cornelius (Acts 10) and the Disciples of Acts 19:1-6 are prime examples of members to the Kingdom “Bride” having these ‘sign gifts’ of prophecy, knowledge and tongues that have NOTHING to do with the members of the BODY of Christ in the world today. You received only an earnest (down payment) of your inheritance (Ephesians 1:13-14), until we are gathered on the day of redemption at our Rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17), when all your brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus will understand one another through this gift of tongues common to us all in heaven. The Apostle Paul does not mention this gift of tongues anywhere outside 1 Corinthians 12-14, because most of the other churches were made up of Gentiles ONLY without any members from the Kingdom Bride at all. When you see people babbling under the pretense of true Bible Tongues, then run the other way. :0)In Christ Jesus,Terral

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
TallMan,
Isa:28:11: For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.:12: To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
In context, TallMan, as the scriptures testifies against your teaching.Isaiah 28: 9Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: From the scriptures. I am sure you have heard the phrase, the milk of the Word.11For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. 14Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.So your babbling tongues is a snare to you for you did not heed the word of the Lord.This is the rest.Matthew 11: 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.Hebrews 4: 1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: 7Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. Your take on scriptures and preaching another spirit to get this tongues is labouring in unbelief. Jesus is that rest. Tongues has nothing to do with obtaining that rest. It is by Jesus, we have received the promise. Ephesians 1:12-15
Nonsense, all Jesus disciples (Jew and Gentile) spoke in new / unlearned tongues whem they received
They did not know about tongues nor sought them when they got baptized in the Holy Ghost at Pentecost. It just happened. When they did, foreign Jews visiting in the area understood them in their native tongues. Tongues given is to be understood as a sign for unbelievers as tongues are to be understood by an interpretor in an assembly.
The bible says we are saved by receiving the infilling of the Spirit as detailed, not by "confessions of Jesus being the Saviour" . . that's a words-only false gospel, even the devils confess Jesus is the saviour.
They believe Jesus is the Son of God, but I doubt they will ever confess Jesus is the Saviour. I do know it is written that they will bend the knee and confess that Jesus is Lord. Doubt you will find scriptures to say otherwise.
It's not faith in the bits of Jesus that you are comfortable with, it's the faith of Jesus, as delivered from Pentecost onwatds, in accordance with Jesus' words.You reject this faith.
Then you are rejecting the faith that you are complete in Christ. You are rejecting the faith of one baptism of the Holy Spirit. You are rejecting that you are sealed as in preserved when you were made a new creature in Christ thus filled as in past tense as in preserved by the Holy Ghost and thus saved. You are not in the process of being sealed.. nor in the process of being filled... nor in the process of being saved. We are sanctified by the Spirit and belief of the Truth and thus saved. Thus you are not speaking of the faith at all. You are not preaching Jesus Christ and him crucified. You are preaching something else in His name. You are glorifying something else in His name. You are serving something else in His name.Either you serve the Lord Jesus Christ... or you are not.And even I needed the Lord's help in doing just that so it is by the grace of God, go I, thanks to Jesus Christ, My Good Shepherd as well as My Saviour.
No other Spirit gives miraculous new language that edifies the speaker in the faith of Jesus.
How can it edifies with no interpretor? Thus if you hold to that, then there are other spirits that gives miraculous new languages as found in Hinduism and voodooism, but that doesn't mean it edifies the speaker in the faith of Jesus. No way. Just because you throw the name of the Holy Ghost around with the name of Jesus, doesn't mean that the tongues you are speaking in gibberish is not of the world.Repent, brother, before it is too late. For once that door is shut.....

L.C.

Dec 5, 2007
Scripture supports speaking in tongues but also clearly says that not all do it, just as not all prophesy. I can tell you that I have witnessed true speaking in tongues first hand. I have a friend who loves Jesus and began singing a song she did not know, she was visiting an Iranian church at the time. Later several people approached her and told her what the words were to the song (it was in perfect Arabic) a language she does not know. Her words lined up with scripture and were an encouragement to those present.I have another friend who is most definitely Spirit-filled, she does not speak or pray in tongues. I believe it's a gift that is offered to us as believers, some have it and some do not. I do not believe it is a gauge of one's spirituality. I believe it's error (scripturally speaking) to say one must speak in tongues as evidence of being infilled with the Holy Spirit, and I think it's equally as false to say if a person does it is of the devil.I know this is an age-old debate, and I have seen both sides of the coin, in the end it's a person's actions that show whether or not they truly belong to Christ (they'll know we are Christians by our love).

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
We are ALL are speaking in tongue right now. Actually we are ALL typing in a tongue. Aren't we ALL typing in an English tongue right now?JagLovest ye in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.
smile.gif

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(L.C.;25477)
Scripture supports speaking in tongues but also clearly says that not all do it, just as not all prophesy.
The same passage that says that ALSO says:-"to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; . .. So, would you also use this passage to teach that only some (actually it isays specifically "one") christian(s) get wisdom, knowledge & faith??Or, maybe you are mis-using this passage because it's not talking about what different people get when they become christians?(L.C.;25477)
I have another friend who is most definitely Spirit-filled, she does not speak or pray in tongues.
How are you judging that she is?What does she have that the people in Acts 8:5-16 didn't have . . . they had "great joy", faith, healings, believed, stopped following Simon the Sorceror and were baptised . . . yet they were known not to have received the Spirit yet!(L.C.;25477)
I know this is an age-old debate, and I have seen both sides of the coin, in the end it's a person's actions that show whether or not they truly belong to Christ (they'll know we are Christians by our love).
It's not love for God or man to tell people they are Christians when they aren't!

Jonous

Nov 17, 2007
(L.C.;25477)
Scripture supports speaking in tongues but also clearly says that not all do it, just as not all prophesy. I can tell you that I have witnessed true speaking in tongues first hand. I have a friend who loves Jesus and began singing a song she did not know, she was visiting an Iranian church at the time. Later several people approached her and told her what the words were to the song (it was in perfect Arabic) a language she does not know. Her words lined up with scripture and were an encouragement to those present.
Amen to that, I will not get into details because many might be offended (I'm sorry to say that), I'll just say that I experience this kind of tongues and God or Jesus or The Spirit speaking through brothren gifted with prophecy, almost every time I go to church, during the hour of prayer. It is a shame that many of you get offended with this kind of statements, as if it is some kind of taboo. Tongues and gifts are written in the epistles, and they are as contemporary as it gets and not some vague words burried under the dust of the past. The Spirit is alive today and it shows Itself with signs, we don't just say "I have the Holy Spirit in me" we know it when we get It because there are signs. Same way you know when you are filled with the Spirit because you feel it in you when this happens. Gifts are as strong and in application today as they were in the days of the apostles. I'm telling you in absolute certainty that there are millions brethren across the world that speak in tongues and at least thousands that are gifted with prophecy. Praise our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Do we ALL understand the English tongue? Yes we ALL do since we understand what we are reading (or listening) what it is saying is.The language is meant to be understood by ALL.Jag

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi L.C. !! And WELCOME!!
smile.gif

I believe it's error (scripturally speaking) to say one must speak in tongues as evidence of being infilled with the Holy Spirit, and I think it's equally as false to say if a person does it is of the devil.
I only say that when it is gibberish. I am founding that reports by linguists of interpretations has been exaggerated and that recordings made were similar to those of tongues of Hinduism and voodooism. That is why I call those that do have tongues to make sure they did not get it by the rudiment of the world like seeking an infilling or another baptism of the Holy spirit in order to get this tongues.I am not offended by those that speak in tongues. I am just alarmed by those that do without an interpretor by calling it a prayer language when there is a tongue that is in the world that is gibberish. Also, I don't see any evidence of tongues being used even near the capacity of what tongues were being used in the early church days ( around me anyway). Plus, scriptures says women don't get tongues. So I am even more concerned in regards to your account.So... I guess one can find a linguist(s) and have them make a recording(s). Find out if that is really happening or not. AND if you do get a linguist(s) that can confirm the Biblical tongues, make sure it is all over the internet of their findings because not one true claim of Biblical tongues has been found yet by linguists anywhere. Course, preaching Jesus Christ and him crucified is by far more imporant than proving tongues is ongoing today, but by the scriptures and investigators finding false claims of Biblical tongues, I have to be skeptcial of your account, but I thank you for sharing in Christ's love. I just hope you know that I am doubting out of concern for you. I wish I could relieve myself of the concern and investigate for you, but I cannot. I can only implore an investigation on your part and hope the Lord guides you into all truth.Anyway, I think Denver, kriss, and superjag, and.. a few others are more representative of this forum than I am, but welcome, sister, anyway.
smile.gif

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi Jonous,
Amen to that, I will not get into details because many might be offended (I'm sorry to say that), I'll just say that I experience this kind of tongues and God or Jesus or The Spirit speaking through brothren gifted with prophecy, almost every time I go to church, during the hour of prayer. It is a shame that many of you get offended with this kind of statements, as if it is some kind of taboo.
I believe I have expressed my concern fully and why. I am not offended as I am concern by the use of tongues as prayer language when finding that no Biblical tongues have been found yet by linguists anywhere. These were churches that invited them that really believed they had Biblical tongues with interpretations. So I can't investigate for you so all I can ask is you investigate for yourself or at least settle it once and for all by finding a linguist(s) to make recordings and publish their findings on the internet that Biblical tongues have been found still in use after all... or expose an error in your church.Love you both in Christ, but I have to tell ya, I am concern for you both. I wish I was wrong and I hope I am, but too much evidence and scriptures says abuse of tongues and heresey in the obtaining of this tongues by seeking an infilling of the Spirit.Best you find out now before Christ Jesus appears, God be willing. May He help you find the truth regarding the tongues you have witnessed to and have yourself, because just like catholicism can spread its deceit everywhere, so can a heresey of tongues without interpretation by seeking an infilling of the Spirit can infiltrate across denomenations... and have. Thus catholics speak in tongues but no one is being reproved of catholicism?Something is not right. Please consider. Doesn't hurt to check and confirm by a linguist(s), right? Have more than one so that by the accounts of two or three witnesses, everything can be confirmed. My prayers have been sent for you and L.C.I'll say one for TallMan, but I think it is going to take a miracle to get him to even consider that the tongues he has and what he is preaching is not the Gospel at all. Still, he is my brother, even though he is walking disorderly and not after the tradition taught of us in the scriptures in reagrds to the simplicity of the Gospel.You guys and L.C. testify, sort of, as to proper use of tongues with interpretations, although not fully by the scriptures as I see scriptures says tongues are not given to women, but I believe you are sincere and thus I can only hope the Lord leads you to determine the tongues, if confirmation of tongues is not forthcoming by linguists.Other than that, there is not much more I can do in seeking your good in the Lord in the hopes that you may be found abiding in Him.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(L.C.;25477)
Scripture supports speaking in tongues but also clearly says that not all do it, just as not all prophesy. I can tell you that I have witnessed true speaking in tongues first hand. I have a friend who loves Jesus and began singing a song she did not know, she was visiting an Iranian church at the time. Later several people approached her and told her what the words were to the song (it was in perfect Arabic) a language she does not know. Her words lined up with scripture and were an encouragement to those present.I have another friend who is most definitely Spirit-filled, she does not speak or pray in tongues. I believe it's a gift that is offered to us as believers, some have it and some do not. I do not believe it is a gauge of one's spirituality. I believe it's error (scripturally speaking) to say one must speak in tongues as evidence of being infilled with the Holy Spirit, and I think it's equally as false to say if a person does it is of the devil.I know this is an age-old debate, and I have seen both sides of the coin, in the end it's a person's actions that show whether or not they truly belong to Christ (they'll know we are Christians by our love).
Actually No scripture does not support speaking babble that no one understands if you reread the threads there is nothing but evidence there is NO unknown tongue in Gods Word the word unknown was added by men thats why most bibles put it in parentheses there was the cloven tounge of God understood by all and there is different languages (greek,chinese,spanish ect) there is no scripture that supports Babbling no matter what you call it.