Should we pray in tongue?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nov 8, 2007
For those that do despise or not believe in this babble or "stammering tongue" can you answer my question? If the Messiah Came then, he is coming again in the end. Moses and Elijah Came to deliver Israel, and they will do it again. Satan Comes into Power, The Flood destroys his Work, in the End Satan will rule, and the Brightness of Yeshua HaMashiach will destroy him. There were 7 Church Ages before Paul, we are in another 7th Dispensation, we are in the age of Laodicea now looking Beyond the Church Ages. Pentecost happened in the Upper Room in Acts 2 in fulfillment of Joel 2 at THAT TIME, Pentecost came at The Azuza Street Revival, FOR OUR TIME! AMEN. So those that despise this "babble", do you still despise it now?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I have no idea what this Azuza street revivial is you keep talking about is but I do know what scripture says the Miracle of Acts was a one time in the past event a Miracle bestowed upon the very aspostles of Christ the ones choosen to start the new church (the new way of repentance) this was one of the biggest miracles of the Bible up there with parting of the Red Sea it has never happened sense. The Bible says it will happen only once in the future and that is to the Elect when they are put on trial before Antichrist, they are told not to premeditate what they will say because the Holy spirit will speak. This does not happen until Antichrist is here, after the mid week and the abomination of desolation.The bible also speaks of the gift which is being able to speak and understand forgien languages. It speaks of no unknown tongue,no babble Now I do not know what to tell you about this Azuza street revial but the Word talks of no unknown babble

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Doesn't work. Not even when I had to correct some stuff.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(setfree;27027)
So are you saying that everyone that spoke that day all spoke the same message, at the same time, the same language. Those hearing heard in different languages?
Kriss you never answered my question.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Unorthodox Christian;27460)
Then Sister you have lot's to learn just as we all have lots to learnAzusa Street Revival
Now I see why I never heard of it a Pencostal revivial they are the offenders they are the biggest one for saying just start speaking the holy spirit will come God doesnt work this way that any sinner can just start babbling and the holy spirit comes on you.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;27473)
Kriss you never answered my question.
Sorry set free yes thats what scripture says all their diffent languages and all heard in their own language even down to their very accents.This was prophey for God preceeded by a loud noise of rushing wind1When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] (translate Languages)as the Spirit enabled them. 5Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs-we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" 12Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this meanWhere do you see babble in this ???

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
They then preached and taught in the different foreign languages to others this is what Cor. is talking about men teaching men what they had heard from God learned from Christ and the apostles in whatever the native language (tongue) of the groupthey were talking to.This lasted a verily short period of time it was to start spreading the Good news of Christ for over 2000 years it was never a large part of any church doctrine.Until one man named Moody started this new doctrine of the Pentecostals.FORT WORTH, Texas -- Trustees at a Baptist seminary have put it in writing: They will not tolerate any promotion of speaking in tongues on their campus. Im am not saying there is not a Holy language of God and the Angels but it is only to be used to pray in private to God as he is the only one who understands it. It is a private thing for the very Elect and was never met for just anyone or whole groups of faithful and sinners mixed nor is it to be spoken in public as they will think one mad. It was never met to be proof of the Holy spirit.Futher more the scripture only speak of Languages whether it be human foreign languages or the Language of Godit is a set Language (not babble) as in any language there are rules and set wordsif one speaks English and was going start counting you would say "ONE" if you spoke Spanish you would say "UNO"it would always be the same no matter who was doing the counting this is languageI do not know the Word for "ONE" in Gods language but what ever it is it would always be the same.So why is it no one who claims to speak Gods Language knows it??????What is the Word for one, God, prayer, Holy, Father ect. why does everyone speak a different word why does no one know anything about this so called Language that two could agree on????? If one claims that the Holy spirit is talking to a group why is it not the same for anyone????

lastsecman

Nov 8, 2006
Speaking gibberish seems to fit more suitably into the category of 'mad' in the scriptures as mentioned by Paul, but, who knows? Just love.An interesting point to ponder...Kriss said...'just because it feels good does'nt necessarily mean that it's from God....'hmmmm, interesting point there, Kriss-------------------------------------------------------------------------Lord Jesus Christ is God Himself in human flesh form, blessed is He!

Nov 8, 2007
Who said just because it Feels good it's right? God said we would KNOW not feel whether it was of God, discernment. No matter how much the spirits around you make you feel good, the True Holy Spirit would discern it with the Quickness. It's Ironic How Kriss despises the Azusa Street Revival, cause soon enough, after this Revival April 14, 1906 4 days Later the GREAT SF Earthquake occured.But I'll save the meaning of the earthquake for later......

Shan Missions

Nov 18, 2007
I think many of us are missing the main purpose of the coming of the Holy Spirit at the Pentecost and the 120 people in the upper room started speaking in other languages (other tongues).In fact the main purpose of speaking in tongue is to save the soul (evangelism).Three thousand people who had heard Peter speaking to them believed, confessed and baptized on the day of Pentecost.Peter was speaking other tongue neither to edify himslef nor God.He spoke to save souls.God gives the gift of tongues to save souls.We speak many different tongues to save many different souls all over the world.That is the real speaking other languages.Hope we all will speak many languages to save many souls.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Unorthodox Christian;27655)
Who said just because it Feels good it's right? God said we would KNOW not feel whether it was of God, discernment. No matter how much the spirits around you make you feel good, the True Holy Spirit would discern it with the Quickness. It's Ironic How Kriss despises the Azusa Street Revival, cause soon enough, after this Revival April 14, 1906 4 days Later the GREAT SF Earthquake occured.But I'll save the meaning of the earthquake for later......
You are misquoting me I said just because something feels good does not mean its from GodAnd secondly I dont know what you think but earthquakes are often a sign of Judgement upon men and if you think the death and destuction from that quake was a good sign I think you are mistaken. in fact I didnt put the two togetherbut it might go to tell you it was not very pleasing to God.And by the way I never said I despised anything either I just said I never heard of it because it was a Pentcoal meeting I dont follow their church doings because I do not believe in their their practices.

bonzion

Apr 6, 2007
(Shan Missions;27980)
I think many of us are missing the main purpose of the coming of the Holy Spirit at the Pentecost and the 120 people in the upper room started speaking in other languages (other tongues).In fact the main purpose of speaking in tongue is to save the soul (evangelism).Three thousand people who had heard Peter speaking to them believed, confessed and baptized on the day of Pentecost.Peter was speaking other tongue neither to edify himslef nor God.He spoke to save souls.God gives the gift of tongues to save souls.We speak many different tongues to save many different souls all over the world.That is the real speaking other languages.Hope we all will speak many languages to save many souls.
GOOD TALK. I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT SPEAKING IN TONGUE = SPEAKING IN OTHER LANGUAGES YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH. THAT INCLUDES LANGUAGES OF OTHER RACES. JESUS WAS SENDING THE DISCIPLES INTO THE OPEN WORLD TO PREACH THE GOSPEL AND SO HE KNEW THEY WILL COME ACROSS PEOPLE WHO DO NOT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE(S) OF THE DISCIPLES. IN OTHER TO MAKE THEIR WORK EASIER, HE BLESSED THEM WITH THE ABILITY TO SPEAK IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES. AFTER ALL THE BIBLE SAYS THAT GOD HIMSELF CONFUSED THE LANGUAGE OF MEN AT THE TOWER OF BABEL.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(Shan Missions;27980)
1 Corinthians 14:4 says that speaking in tongues edifies himself. It builds you up in your faith, Jude 20 tell you to pray in the Holy Ghost to build yourself up.Acts 2:11 says that they were praising God for what he had done. That would be edifying to me.

Alanforchrist

Dec 25, 2007
We should pray in tongues, [1] It builds you up 1 Corinthians 14;4, Jude: 20.Praying in the spirit [In tongues] or in the Holy Ghost [In tongues]is the same.[2] It helps you pray. 1 Corinthians 14; " If I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying" your spirit knows you and your needs, so praying in tongues helps you to get the victory.[3]The Holy Spirit can come to your aid.Romans 8:26--28, says, The Holy Spirit helps us as we don't know what or how we should pray the best things for us, or whatever the holy Spirit wants to pray through us. When He prays through us, then all thing work together for our good. Some times He will inteceed through you for someone else.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
This is exactly why unknown babble spoken by many is not from god because it is nothing but confusion and God is not the author of confusion.There is a Holy language spoken by God and the Angels. One might experience this in personal prayer I can not judge this as I can not know anothers personal walk with the Lord. But there is no babble spoken of in scriptures it is Languages forgien languages just as Bonzion has described it was a gift of understanding and speaking forigien languagesit does no good to preach in English to a group that only understands french. This is what God is saying. Its amazing to me eveybody quotes some scripture about this that suits them but fails to want to follow what God says about it. He says he is the only one that understands his Language it should therefore only be spoken to him in private. We are not to speak things not understood in church or in public it serves no purpose and makes people think you are mad (crazy) We are NEVER NEVER told to start babbling and the Holy spirit will just come. The Holy spirit is in anyone that has confessed their belief in Christ and repented from their sins. When you are saved and pray you are praying in Holy spirit to think one must babble to get this gift of the Holy spirit which we are told is freely given to all who believe and repent is a false belief. The gift of the Holy spirit is given you FREELYno babble required.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Kriss,I have read your post over and over where you stand with the gift of tongues. You seem to read things into post. Everyone that I have understood agree that speaking in tongues is a language, just one that we have not learned. It is confusion to those that do not manifest the gifts. I was there and I know where you are coming from. I defended and debated it, then just ignored it. This year I went to God and wanted to be taught by him not man. He showed this to me and now it is not confusion. Praying in tongues will open up so much that was closed before because of my unbelief.Where does one say that preaching is done in tongues? I have not read this on this thread. If tongues as a ministry in the church is practiced it requires an interpreter.We are indwelt with the Holy Spirit at salvation. The gifts are a manifistation of that spirit.

Agape

Dec 24, 2007
Hi and God bless you!I have done much reading and studying on the subject of "speaking in tongues" and have discovered that it is not a gift, but one of nine manifestations OF the gift of holy spirit. The gift is the spiritual ability. Speaking in tongues was not just for a certain group of people such as the Apostles. Jesus is addressing "all them that believe." The Apostles were not alone in their beliefs because there were those disciples (men and women) who followed Peter's teachings concerning and were added (about 3000) to the Church. See Acts, Chapter 2.John 4:20 --- Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.Jesus responded in verse 21, "Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father"Philippians 3:3 --- For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.This is true worship. The called-of-God are those who "worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus." We are to have no confidence in the flesh or in the traditions of men. Our confidence is in what God wrought and accomplished for us in Christ. This is why we can rejoice "in Christ Jesus." When we are born again and filled with the power of holy spirit we can worship the true God in the spirit no matter where we are. We do not need a building or a special place or location when praying to our heavenly Father.Mark 16:17 --- And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;Jesus Christ made it known that those who "believe" shall speak in tongues. Speaking in tongues is God's will for all those who accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and believe that God had raised him up from among the dead. It IS NOT a certain "gift" given only to "certain" born-again believers chosen by God. Speaking in tongues is one of the nine manifestations God made available through His GIFT of holy spirit.This is true worship. The called-of-God are those who "worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus." We are to have no confidence in the flesh or in the traditions of men. Our confidence is in what God wrought and accomplished for us in Christ. This is why we can rejoice "in Christ Jesus." When we are born again and filled with the power of holy spirit we can worship the true God in the spirit no matter where we are. We do not need a building or a special place or location when praying to our heavenly Father.Love in Christ,Agape