Should we pray in tongue?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Shan Missions

Nov 18, 2007
I absolutely agree with Jon-Marc!Those praying in tongue are edifying themselves, boasting themselves, showing that they are superior over others spiritually and nothing good to other believers who want to pray quietly in spirit.There are thousands of languages in the world which are understood. If I don't understand the other people's language it is no use but if there is a translator it is useful. God understand all these thousands of living languages. Why gibberish language?Why praying in the language that you yourself don't understand?Why just praying like a fool? ( Paul said; out of your mind) I have noticed that those pray in unknown language are those pray very very fast and rolling their tongues. The prayer who pray stadily, slowly and softly do not pray in tongue.Remember what Paul said in Paul said in 1 Cor. 14:19 that he would rather speak 5 words that are understood than 10,000 words that no one understood. Be a sound mind so that it will be fruitful.

dgc

Nov 27, 2007
Keep in mind Paul was addressing the church regarding tongues in the service in I corinth. 14. At that time many were raising up one after another speeking in tongues with no interpretation. He was addressing how this is disruptive and brings no edifcation to the body of christ and ought not to be done without the interpretation. When he was stating in verse 18 he was refering to his private prayer time. In verse 17 he states " For you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not edified." indicating that the individual is truely speeking in tongues however they ought to pray for the interpretation also when doing so in a gathering setting. When paul stated he would rather speek only 5 words with his mind inorder to bring understanding to others rather than 10,000 words in tongues, again this is in a church setting see verses 22-33.I am unsure of the verse at this time but I belive it says that when you are unsure what to pray for then the spirit interceeds for you in growns and utterances we do not under stand but should ask for wisdom/understanding and again this is in private prayer.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Shan Missions,Edifying your self by praying in the spirit is not a bad thing. Jude 20 tells us to build ourselves up praying in the Holy Ghost. If we build ourselves up by praying in tongues. When we come together in the assembly we can also build up the congregation. If you have a football team and a member exercises at home.(builds himself up) When they come together as a team the whole team will benifit from it.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Tongues in Cor. is the gift of speaking and understanding foreign languages it has nothing to do with any babbling tongue it is language. to edify self means to pray in your own native language so that you can better say what you what to God there is no unknown tongue in Gods Word.

Nov 8, 2007
So if you went to my congregation, heard people speak this Babble, in Order, One to Another, only two or three, then someone interprets the tongues. Then prophecies, and the Prophecy comes to pass, is this babble false tongues? This is your opinion Kriss, this babble that you're talking about.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Prophecy means to teach (a truth) In cor. the church was just starting up their were Greeks Jews ect. Acts says that there ws 13 differnet languages being spoken so how could they spread the Word and start a church when know one understood each other?The hebrew word for tounges means simply Languages. Cor. is saying what good to teach (prophesize)if no one understood you. unknown babble is a modern phenomon the word unknown is not in Gods word only Language

Nov 8, 2007
Prophecy is also divine Prediction. If Isaiah Prophesied about Jesus Coming, is he teaching people or telling them a Prediction he had about a Revelation YHWH gave him? I'm Not saying it's an unknown Tongue, please refer to 1st Corinthians 13:1. The Interpreter are Two ladies and they Prophecy. Another Church I went to, had a lady speak tongues, the Pastor interprets and someone prophesies. The Prophecy, DIVINE PREDICTION, came to pass, I was one of the fulfillments of the Prophecy. The brother who preached that night was preaching for the First time, he asked God for confirmation and we prayed. The conformation was the Title YHWH-Yireh(Jehovah Jireh) and that was the confirmation.Did you hear me say it was an unknown Tongue, I noticed Unknown in the bible was in italics, if the words are in italics, IT MEANS MEN PUT IT THERE not Divinely. With that said, I always refer to 1st Corinthians 13:1 as the Tongue of Angels, and when they speak this babble, it's but a few words, and when the Prophecy comes it hits and it comes to pass.Despise not the least of the gifts

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Unorthodox Christian;26933)
Prophecy is also divine Prediction. If Isaiah Prophesied about Jesus Coming, is he teaching people or telling them a Prediction he had about a Revelation YHWH gave him? I'm Not saying it's an unknown Tongue, please refer to 1st Corinthians 13:1. The Interpreter are Two ladies and they Prophecy. Another Church I went to, had a lady speak tongues, the Pastor interprets and someone prophesies. The Prophecy, DIVINE PREDICTION, came to pass, I was one of the fulfillments of the Prophecy. The brother who preached that night was preaching for the First time, he asked God for confirmation and we prayed. The conformation was the Title YHWH-Yireh(Jehovah Jireh) and that was the confirmation.Did you hear me say it was an unknown Tongue, I noticed Unknown in the bible was in italics, if the words are in italics, IT MEANS MEN PUT IT THERE not Divinely. With that said, I always refer to 1st Corinthians 13:1 as the Tongue of Angels, and when they speak this babble, it's but a few words, and when the Prophecy comes it hits and it comes to pass.Despise not the least of the gifts
I can only tell you whats in scripture there is no "unknown" in the manuscripts it was added by man Tongue in Hebrew means Language prophecy means to teach that can mean to teach a divine truth or any truth it can be future, or straight from scripture, if it is future event a true prophet must be 100% accurate just as the old prophets of the bible.Now that being said there is a holy language of the Angels and God this was the same language we all spoke before the tower of Babble when God separated the languages.So if all bible rules that is an interpreter when two or three are thereand this prophecy came true I can not judge differently. In the latter days my sons and daughters will prophesies.But this cant be taken as the same babbling that goes on in most churches today that serve no purpose other than to release endorphins in the body likeheathens and make one feel good

Nov 8, 2007
don't worry, we're not pentecostals but we believe in the Pentecostal Blessing of the Holy Ghost(Ruach HaKodesh). I see where you're leaning on, but I know most pentecostals and those in association with the UPC say the Unknown Tongue, and they continue to be willingly ignorant about the Word unknown. I believe your view on the unknown Tongue dogma, but I do believe some Speak the 1st Corinthians 13:1 tongues of the angels, WHICH ARE NOT UNKNOWN, but since we cannot comprehend what it means there are interpreters by the Distribution of the Holy Ghost.These Prophecies 100% come to pass, believe me Kriss. Despise not and do not generalize all who speak tongues, there is a major Difference in those that speak with the Tongues of 1st Corinthians 13:1 and those that babble without interpreters. Many are Called Few are Chosen.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
This was brought to my attention on another thread. If you were there on the Day of Pentecost everyone speaking in tongues of different languages. That would probably sound like babbling to you too. There are many kinds of voices in the world. Do you know them all? How do you know people speaking in tongues are not speaking another language? I speak for myself here, but other can probably testify the same. When speaking in tongues vs. not, I have seen more answered prayer, I boldness to procalim scripture that the Holy Ghost has revealed to me that I could not understand before. A joy that is unspeakable. I also have seen things as I am praying (maybe this is interpretation) that has come to pass. All of this can not be from Satan because it has kept me in the word. It has stirred a deeper love for my Savior and keeps me in awe of who He is. Those that are closed minded to the things of the spirit will never see. That is sad! I would love for all to experience Jesus at a different level. But without believing(faith) you will never experience. That is your choice and nothing said here will convince you other wise because your mind is set. If you do not recieve it in your mind it will never reach your heart. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and pray that in 2008 God will reveal himself to you.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Your missing a point in acts The evidence of the Holy spirtit was that all understood what was being said in their own language. The greeks heard greek, the hebrews heard hebrew ect. This was the cloven tongue of God preseeded by a loud noise from heavenwas a one time (so far) miracle It is not even the same thing nor asscociated with Cor.it was a Miracle and it has never happened sense. It was a one time teaching(prophesy)from GodCor. is about men teaching men it is not a cloven tounge they are separate things

Jonous

Nov 17, 2007
(kriss;26931)
Prophecy means to teach (a truth)
Is that so? The how do you explain "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;" Eph. 4:11or"7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:" 1 Cor. 12:7Carefull brother, you must be corrected on certain things, you have many issues to deal with, you are seriously misled and you are passing these false ideas to others. I have told you before, just because you haven't seen the pouring of the Holy Spirit around you doesn't mean you have to back up it's supposed absence by false ideas.Prophecy is when a gifted brother/sister gets filled up by the Spirit, raises his/her voice and begin to speak what the Son or the Father or the Spirit has to say addressing to His church. There is no mind mingling at those moments during the prophecy, just the heavenly message. Some don't even remember what the prophecy said after it is done. He/she conveys the message and stops. This is prophecy!Just like Agabus"11 And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles." Acts 21:11 Now for the tongue part I don't need to tell you again. You are also misled, speaking in tongues were not a mean to "spread the Word" at all.Get your ideas straight, read the verses right!...in a spirit of love for Jesus Christ and the truth in His Word!

Jonous

Nov 17, 2007
(kriss;26941)
Your missing a point in acts The evidence of the Holy spirtit was that all understood what was being said in their own language. The greeks heard greek, the hebrews heard hebrew ect. This was the cloven tongue of God preseeded by a loud noise from heavenwas a one time (so far) miracle It is not even the same thing nor asscociated with Cor.it was a Miracle and it has never happened sense. It was a one time teaching(prophesy)from GodCor. is about men teaching men it is not a cloven tounge they are separate things
Yes they all understood but they also heard the other languages at the same time which they didn't understand. When a Greek heard an Apostle talk in greek, a Parthian heard greek from his mouth, thus he didn't understand (of course he also heard the message from another Apostle in his own language) and THUS comes the verse. "13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine." Acts 2:13Just think, why mock if supposedly they only heard their own language and they heard divine messages from the Apostles?? Why mock I ask again?? Why say that they were full of wine if what they heard was understandable and logical and making sense?

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
That was interesting about the mocking. I never thought of it, but it must have looked alot like people that do not believe today explain it. VERY INTERESTING!

Nov 8, 2007
that's what I'm saying, they rejected and mocked the People in the upper Room, just like the people and Christians today MOCK THE ASUZA STREET Pentecost. What a shame. I love you all in Christ though.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
I know a Pastor of what many would call a "Pentecostal Church". He's been involved in ministry for 40 years and has researched previous revivals. He says:-The only thing I find with the “revivals” of the 1800’s and even early 1900’s (Wales, etc), is a lack of detail re people actually speaking in tongues. I am sure it happened to many, but the leaders (Moody/Spurgeon, Evan Roberts etc) never actually preached Acts 2, 10, etc. They would not be what I call Pentecostals. Many of their revivals talk of great emotion; weeping/praying for hours – through the night, etc, but no detail on receiving the Holy Spirit, even though they were branded the Holiness Movement. If it happened; it just happened, not because it was preached by the preacher or that you should because the Bible says.............. The first truly modern Pentecostal Preacher that I can find was Charles Fox Parham, who, after Agnes Ozman received in the early hours of the 1st of January 1901, because the Bible said that would happen, then went “on the road” preaching Mark 16, Acts 2, 10, 19, etc and saying that the only Bible evidence that a person was Spirit-Filled was when they “spoke in tongues”. Later when William J. Seymour (a convert of C. F. Parham) preached a “later version” in 1906 in LA could we say that Modern Pentecost was really born and we now had the Latter Rain of Joel 2.The “Welsh Revival” that I am really impressed with was in the 1920’s with the Jeffery’s Brothers (George, etc), who started the Elim Church, turned Wales and then all of Great Britain upside-down.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;26941)
So are you saying that everyone that spoke that day all spoke the same message, at the same time, the same language. Those hearing heard in different languages?

Nov 8, 2007
(TallMan;26989)
I know a Pastor of what many would call a "Pentecostal Church". He's been involved in ministry for 40 years and has researched previous revivals. He says:-The only thing I find with the “revivals” of the 1800’s and even early 1900’s (Wales, etc), is a lack of detail re people actually speaking in tongues. I am sure it happened to many, but the leaders (Moody/Spurgeon, Evan Roberts etc) never actually preached Acts 2, 10, etc. They would not be what I call Pentecostals. Many of their revivals talk of great emotion; weeping/praying for hours – through the night, etc, but no detail on receiving the Holy Spirit, even though they were branded the Holiness Movement. If it happened; it just happened, not because it was preached by the preacher or that you should because the Bible says.............. The first truly modern Pentecostal Preacher that I can find was Charles Fox Parham, who, after Agnes Ozman received in the early hours of the 1st of January 1901, because the Bible said that would happen, then went “on the road” preaching Mark 16, Acts 2, 10, 19, etc and saying that the only Bible evidence that a person was Spirit-Filled was when they “spoke in tongues”. Later when William J. Seymour (a convert of C. F. Parham) preached a “later version” in 1906 in LA could we say that Modern Pentecost was really born and we now had the Latter Rain of Joel 2.The “Welsh Revival” that I am really impressed with was in the 1920’s with the Jeffery’s Brothers (George, etc), who started the Elim Church, turned Wales and then all of Great Britain upside-down.
AMEN TO THE BOLD! I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY MAN SAYS!!!!! AZUZA STREET PENTECOST WAS THE RE FULFILLMENT OF JOEL 2!!! IF THE DISCIPLES AND PEOPLE IN THE UPPER ROOM WERE MOCKED THEN? AND WE'RE MOCKED TODAY, DO YOU SEE A PARALLEL? WHAT WAS DONE THEN, IS BEING DONE AGAIN TODAY!!! THE MESSIAH CAME THEN, HE'LL COME AGAIN! MOSES AND ELIJAH CAME THEN, THEY'LL COME AGAIN! HALLELUYAH!

armor_bearer

Dec 18, 2007
JonousI have read all ten pages in this thread and I agree with you completely among others who believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. What little faith for these people who do not believe. If I have to define FAITH again, which I know everybody knows already, is believing in something that we don't see or hear or understand completely. If one says that he has faith in God but refuses to believe in His powers, what good is this faith? I want so much to experience these gifts and I am believing that God will give it to me....all in His own perfect time. God bless you.