Sign Gifts Semi-Safe House

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was a regular at a Christian Coffeehouse in the mid 70's - the Director of the Coffeehouse was a Cessationist. Me and the other two charismatics there had told him we would not discuss Baptism of the Holy Spirit - as he wished.
It wasn't enough for him somehow.
One evening before the prayer meeting prior to opening the coffeehouse for people to come in, the Director ws showing off his new LEATHER BIBLE COVER. It was a grand thing - 3 little belt-loop type things to close it - we ooohed and ahhhed over it. He went into his pitch about Tongues ceasing when that which has perfect had come - and looking right at me he shouted "And what was that which was perfect? THIS !!!" he rammed it home - shoving his Bible in my face.
Rick sitting next to me said "What - Your LEATHER BIBLE COVER?" and the meeting ended abruptly without prayer - somehow Rick and I and Bruce the 3rd charismatic stumbled upstairs to a Bible Study room and just FELL ABOUT THE PLACE in hysterical laughter. We tried to straighten up - people would be coming in soon, we needed to go downstairs, but we couldn't stop laughing - Bruce mimicked the Director holding his bible in my face and said "The Perfect"!!
Tears rolled down our faces and splashed onto our shirts - we almost had ourselves under control but Rick said "LEATHER BIBLE COVER!!!!" and we went down again. I never laughed as hard in my life before or since.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was a regular at a Christian Coffeehouse in the mid 70's - the Director of the Coffeehouse was a Cessationist. Me and the other two charismatics there had told him we would not discuss Baptism of the Holy Spirit - as he wished.
It wasn't enough for him somehow.
One evening before the prayer meeting prior to opening the coffeehouse for people to come in, the Director ws showing off his new LEATHER BIBLE COVER. It was a grand thing - 3 little belt-loop type things to close it - we ooohed and ahhhed over it. He went into his pitch about Tongues ceasing when that which has perfect had come - and looking right at me he shouted "And what was that which was perfect? THIS !!!" he rammed it home - shoving his Bible in my face.
Rick sitting next to me said "What - Your LEATHER BIBLE COVER?" and the meeting ended abruptly without prayer - somehow Rick and I and Bruce the 3rd charismatic stumbled upstairs to a Bible Study room and just FELL ABOUT THE PLACE in hysterical laughter. We tried to straighten up - people would be coming in soon, we needed to go downstairs, but we couldn't stop laughing - Bruce mimicked the Director holding his bible in my face and said "The Perfect"!!
Tears rolled down our faces and splashed onto our shirts - we almost had ourselves under control but Rick said "LEATHER BIBLE COVER!!!!" and we went down again. I never laughed as hard in my life before or since.

Next time I see a debate against the signs gifts, I am going to be thinking "leather Bible Cover" in my mind. :) That is too funny.

I admire the passion and can understand cessationist views though. I used to not know or understand though. Didn't want to. I don't know if you could call that Holy laughter, but definitely laughter I can understand. I can just picture it in my mind. :)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At church tonight, the lesson was on laws of faith.

Example: healing
1) speak it over your life
2) earnestly seek God for it (reading scriptures on healing, believing those scriptures. Praying/thinking on it.
3)go after it- the woman with the hemorrage disease went after Jesus. She stepped out in faith and touched the hem of His garment.

Warning: now just don't stop taking insulin for example. That is not being wise. But the healing can happen. Wait to see like allergic reactions to the shots take place. If it is eye sight, wait to see it manifest instead of just breaking your glasses. Wise advice. :)

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Tongues, Prophecies, Slain In The Spirit, Visions, Anything Cessationists says no longer happens, Prayer Language vs message to the Church and others.

Several years ago, I attended a Charismatic Episcopal Church. They were strictly BY THE BOOK about every message being interpreted, and never was it by the person who spoke it. I usually sat in the front right, but one sunday sat in the rear left.

A message was given in Tongues. We all waited for an Interpretation. And waited. And waited some more. Then a CELL PHONE rang in the front right, a moment later an interpretation was given. It was just the timing, but seemed like the interpretation came in by phone, just a funny coincidence.
Maybe God was on the phone...er, the throne! :D

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard of this happening. Man, I was thinking prophecy/dreams/tongues, but these things just bring so many questions to my mind. Like things I have heard of before, but never really experienced. So this is considered "slain in the spirit" also?

In TC, to be honest, I fell down twice. But looking back, I was young then, I think I didn't understand what it was or know if anything really happened. Now I see these things, and from what I have tasted from these gifts and signs, I look at them more from the perspective, this can be real too, rather then be completely closed off to it or from the danger of it being from an emotional experience. I cant honestly say that was genuine in Teen Challenge. But I can pray about a real experience and what that is to be slain in the spirit. Is it just like a touch from God?
I think the word "slain" does the Holy Spirit injustice...I prefer overcome by the presence of the Holy Spirit or overcome by the anointing of His Power upon me.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the word "slain" does the Holy Spirit injustice...I prefer overcome by the presence of the Holy Spirit or overcome by the anointing of His Power upon me.
Perhaps the one slain by the Spirit is the slain 'old man', slain that is by the 'new man' to make room for that which is to be alive within us, the Word of God. Or as Paul writes it "put off... the old man... and... put on the new man:

Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Slay or kill the beasts and beastly ways of that old man!

Ec 3:18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.

Pr 9:1 Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
Pr 9:2 She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.

And then in the words of John the Baptist:

Joh 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease

So then I, that is the old man or beast of me, must decrease down to nothing [death] while he, the new man of me, as nourished by the Flesh [Word] and Blood [Holy Spirit] (John 6:53), must increase.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower @Grunt Hemlock
During our many years attending pentecostal assemblies, my wife periodically manifested both the gift of messages in tongues as well as at times the gift of interpretation of messages from tongues into English. She has not been in physical service for a couple of years now, more recently due to Covid-19, and before that for other reasons, so no more such manifestations recently.

My own gift of tongues is a prayer language. Whenever I pray it is normal for me to begin speaking in a special language God gave to me. Of course each morning during my private time with God I use it, but also when I pray for prayer requests on this forum, I pray in a tongue/language other than English, German or Spanish, the three human languages with which I am familiar...

People sometime question the need to pray in tongues, but the fact for most [all?] of us is that sometimes we cannot pray as we should for what we should. God through the gift of tongues helps us overcome that troublesome member...

Jas 3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Jas 3:4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Jas 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
Jas 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Jas 3:7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
Jas 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jas 3:9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jas 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Call Him up - Call Him up - Tell Him what you want!
Jesus on the main line now!
That is a very old song. I have not heard it sung much for years, but at one time...! Give God the glory and praise His wonderful name!

Try this one:

Reactions: Triumph1300

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wow amadeus

I haven't thought of Royal Telephone since...

way back
Especially during these last couple of years where I have not been regularly attending a physical church services I resort to my own collection of old hymns and what I can find on the Internet. I do believe God helps me find songs that comfort and edify me for He indeed knows our needs better than we, ourselves, do!

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit but have never spoke in tongues. I have seen multiple people speak in tongues (youtube) but never in a church. There does seem to be a common language with tongues. Those who speak in tongues all seem to be using the same language which makes me believe that it is real and in use today.

Reactions: Mayflower

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"do all speak with tongues?"

rhetorical question - expecting a negative answer