Similar questions, different answers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 10:25-26. 'And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?"'

Acts of the Apostles 16:30-31.'And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved....."'

Two similar questions; two rather different answers. How so?
I think Rita was closest. :) The lawyer did not see himself as a sinner; he was 'testing' our Lord. So the Lord Jesus referred him to the law. And the guy replied, quite correctly, "you shall love the Lord your God with all you heart, with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbour as yourself." But he didn't ask himself, "Do I really do this?" And of course, none of us do, which is why we need a Saviour. So when the Lord Jesus said, "Do this and you shall live," he suddenly realised that he had to qualify what he had said. "And who is my neighbour?" So our Lord tells the parable of the Good Samaritan for no other purpose than to convict this lawyer of his sin and it is a wonderful example of preaching the law for that very reason.

The Philippian jailor, on the other hand was already convicted of sin. He came 'trembling' before Paul and Silas. He had heard them singing hymns of praise to God and then seen the earthquake loosen all their chains. There was no need to preach the law to the jailor; he was already in the fear of God.

B

Butterfly

Ooh do I get a brownie point for that ! Lol
Thanks for the encouragment, thought my post was irrelevant, and ignored X
Rita

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 10:25-26. 'And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?"'

Acts of the Apostles 16:30-31.'And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved....."'

Two similar questions; two rather different answers. How so?

Ah... better to not misrepresent the Scriptures, especially with what Jesus said.

The lawyer answered this which is part of this that should never have been left out...

Luke 10:27
27 And he answering said, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself."
KJV

That love thy neighbor actually is the royal law under Christ Jesus (Gal.5). And if you truly love The Father you will believe on His Son Whom He sent. Jesus at that point in time had yet to die on the cross, so we could only speculate that if the lawyer was truthful to himself, he likely would have believed on Jesus when he heard The Gospel. But only our Lord knows whether he did or not in final.

Luke 10:28
28 And He said unto him, "Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live."
KJV

At that time Jesus had yet to die on the cross, so that was the right answer for that time. The New Covenant in His Blood had yet to be offered to all.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the guy replied, quite correctly, "you shall love the Lord your God with all you heart, with all your soul, with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbour as yourself." But he didn't ask himself, "Do I really do this?" And of course, none of us do, which is why we need a Saviour.

Some of us do, because we have a Saviour:

Rom 5:5, And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Eph 3:19, And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

1Jo 4:19, We love him, because he first loved us.