Similar questions, different answers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 10:25-26. 'And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?"'

Acts of the Apostles 16:30-31.'And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved....."'

Two similar questions; two rather different answers. How so?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 10:25-26. 'And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?"'

Acts of the Apostles 16:30-31.'And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" And they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved....."'

Luke 10:25-26- The key here is that this is a Pharisse, A Lawyer of the Law! Pharisees have a different Torah,[ Oral Torah] which is comprised of thousands of manmade doctrine's and commandments. That is why Our Savior Asked! What is Written, and How do you read [ perceive ] it! He really didn't want to convert, only wanted to test the Master!

Acts 16: 30-31 - These are Gentile's and prison Guards, who have a need to find salvation! to which Paul was led of the Spirit to seek out, and preach the Gospel. The reason they were Worshiping, after being beaten was that Paul recognized the Jailer, whom He had seen in His Vision, knowing that they had found those to which they were to Preach!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 10:25-26- The key here is that this is a Pharisse, A Lawyer of the Law! Pharisees have a different Torah,[ Oral Torah] which is comprised of thousands of manmade doctrine's and commandments. That is why Our Savior Asked! What is Written, and How do you read [ perceive ] it! He really didn't want to convert, only wanted to test the Master!

Acts 16: 30-31 - These are Gentile's and prison Guards, who have a need to find salvation! to which Paul was led of the Spirit to seek out, and preach the Gospel. The reason they were Worshiping, after being beaten was that Paul recognized the Jailer, whom He had seen in His Vision, knowing that they had found those to which they were to Preach!
Nevertheless, what about the two different answers?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what does he say after the question was answered?

He Quoted the Shema, and The Master replied, you have answered rightly, Do this and you will Live!
Our Master also said to the wealthy young man, sell all that you have, disperse it to the poor, and follow Me, why did this fellow have to engage in getting rid of all?
Or was Our Master privy to this young mans heart, and Invited him to Join in His Ministry? yet He wasn't told that he would live!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He Quoted the Shema, and The Master replied, you have answered rightly, Do this and you will Live!
Our Master also said to the wealthy young man, sell all that you have, disperse it to the poor, and follow Me, why did this fellow have to engage in getting rid of all?
Or was Our Master privy to this young mans heart, and Invited him to Join in His Ministry? yet He wasn't told that he would live!
Which takes back to the OP. That is my point, you tried to say that it wasn't different answers to the same question, however, it was. So how do we reconcile this?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wasn't one man speaking to Jesus while he was still under the OT.... and the other was speaking to Apostles after the NT was instituted?

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which takes back to the OP. That is my point, you tried to say that it wasn't different answers to the same question, however, it was. So how do we reconcile this?

First of all I never said it was a different Answer, I did a quick read as to see the context, and responded with what I read!
Now as to you will live, one can assume that those in Cypress came to Salvation through Paul's Preaching, and the Lawyer might be Justified by the Law, If kept Perfectly??? Salvation is one thing, and to live could be just that, Keep My Commandments and Live long in the Land!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Similar but totally different. No one can *inherit* eternal life, which is a pure gift of God's grace. That is what the Philippian jailer received by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ.

B

Butterfly

Arent the motives behind the questions different, the lawyer wanted to test Jesus, and Jesus would have known that- in acts the question was genuine. So are the questions really the same !?
Jesus often answered those who tested him with another question , or a play on words.
Obviously may not have any relevance to your discussion, but it's just something I noticed when I read both verses.
Rita

Reactions: Steve Owen

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ad Hominem and another dodge. Apparently you don't know the answer. You will not be teaching me anything. You are just confirming your ignorance of Scripture.

All are saved by Faith, and GRACE, in both OT and NT, Is not Abraham going to be in the Kingdom? or already there!
To God be the Glory!