Singing Ave Maria in church/home robs God's Glory?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The divinity is found in the Godhead only....Mary was a blessed woman but she has no power in the Kingdom of heaven any more than any other believer. The only group of believers who pray to those who have already gone into heaven, [other than the Godhead] is the Catholic Church. This practice is not commonly found in any other Christian belief system. ^_^

Blessings!!!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The divinity is found in the Godhead only....Mary was a blessed woman but she has no power in the Kingdom of heaven any more than any other believer. The only group of believers who pray to those who have already gone into heaven, [other than the Godhead] is the Catholic Church. This practice is not commonly found in any other Christian belief system. ^_^

Blessings!!!

Coptic, Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholicism, and Anglicanism make up the majority of Christianity and we all pray with saints.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This forum is made up of many denominations including a few members of the Catholic Church but it is predominantly made up of a variety of Christian believers. I am from a Pentecostal stream and I originated from the Baptist Church. ^_^ I can honestly state that none of the Churches I have participated in...have prayed to the saints who have gone into heaven. We only pray to the Father, Son and/or Holy Spirit. Just letting you know that this is not a practice of all believers here...

Shalom!!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This forum is made up of many denominations including a few members of the Catholic Church but it is predominantly made up of a variety of Christian believers. I am from a Pentecostal stream and I originated from the Baptist Church. ^_^ I can honestly state that none of the Churches I have participated in...have prayed to the saints who have gone into heaven. We only pray to the Father, Son and/or Holy Spirit. Just letting you know that this is not a practice of all believers here...

Shalom!!

Fair enough! And, it certainly is not a requirement for any Christian

Blessings!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Ummmmm, Mary, the mother of God. . . . not quite. There is NOTHING scriptural about this term. Look it up. Mary, the mother of Jesus is correct, but NOT the mother of God. I don't know what the big deal is about this. Scripture is clear that there is ONE mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ.

1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

And I hope I don't have to post Scriptures proving that the Bible declares that there is ONE God and there is no other. Mary was just a human being. Just like you and me, nothing special.

Check this out:
Act 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

Mary, the mother of Jesus, was with the disciples on the day of Pentecost. She was one of those who received the Holy Ghost. If she was in the position that some put her in, then why did she need the Holy Ghost? Because she was a human who needed to be saved, just like you and me.
Amen Groundzero !!!!

Luke 4:8

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Jesus replied, "The Scriptures say, 'You must worship the LORD your God and serve only him.'"[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]All the hymns and songs we sing in Churches must have something to do with the Trinity. God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.[/background]
Ave Maria is not part of the Trinity and it seems to me that any Praise and Worship that derails from the focus of God is not right. Again, it robs God of his glory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, are we suppose to take John 14:6 seriously ?

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]That said, if Jesus lives in us and through us to reach God, why do we need [/background][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]intercessory prayers though Mary or from any saints who have returned to Paradise. The part of the lyrics that caught my attention is " pray for us sinners". Isn't that sanctification process achieved through praying to Jesus and ask for forgiveness ? So when the lyrics, although are taken out of context from the Bible and put into hymn or used as a form of prayer, doesn't it exalt Marry above Jesus ? This is just my crude justification and I may be wrong. That is why I've posted my concern here in the first place. I'm opened to all suggestions. Go easy on me OK, I'm just a milk fed Christian. [/background][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)] [/background][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)] :)[/background]
You sound like a meat fed Christian :)

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
what is the need to do both? isn't Jesus enough to deal with what you come up against that you need to pray to mary too?

We do both because the Bible says to pray for each other. Those in Heaven are alive, not dead. In fact, they have eternal life. So, if it's okay for you to ask your family or friends to pray for you, then it's also okay for us to ask those who are in Heaven to do the same.

v 28 And he came to her and said, Hail, O favored one [[sup][w][/sup]endued with grace is the correct translation]! The Lord is with you!

not full of grace but endued with grace. what is being said is an angel came to her and said, “Greetings! The Lord is with you; you are very special to him.”

Mary is "full of grace". The Greek word used here is "charitoo." According to Strong's biblical translation, it means "Grace." This Greek word is used only three times in the Bible. It used only for "Mary" and in Ephesians 1:6.

elizabeth was referring to God choosing mary for this great honor of being the one to give birth to the savior of prophesy. you are putting the wrong emphasis on this. any woman God could of chosen for this privilege of being Christ's mother. we don't run around praying to abraham who was our father here on earth or Enoch who was so blessed of God that enoch was taken by God. we don't pray to enoch.

While it is true that God could have chosen any woman, the fact is He chose Mary. Mary is the only woman whom all generations call her Blessed. Catholics and Orthodox Christians fulfill this prophesy because we have always called her the "Blessed Mother" or the "Blessed Virgin Mary." All generations will call me "blessed." Do you fulfill this prophecy?

i have all the power that Christ has by blood covenant according to his word. why not pray to me???

The Bible still says to pray for each other. We are not going against the Bible because the Bible did say that we can pray for each other.

do you not realize what it is you have just said? using that scripture out of context you have just said that john the baptist is greater then Jesus. Jesus was born of a woman and yet was the greatest man to walk the earth. anyways matt 11:11 is referring to how the kingdom the heavens work. here is the definitions of idol:
1. any person or thing regarded with blind admiration, adoration, or devotion: for example Madame Curie had been her childhood idol.

this is exactly what is happening with mary the mother of Jesus

He never said that Jesus was greater than St. John the Baptist. Jesus has always humbled Himself to others. In fact, He even submitted Himself to His mother (See Luke 2:51). He was obedient to Her. He was never a disobedient Son to His mother or His Father. Because Christ put Himself least and the last, He is indeed the greatest of all. This is the example He wanted us to follow. When Christ says that there is no man born of woman greater than John the Baptist, He showed His humility, and this is the kind of humility we should follow. Jesus called John "great" because He recognized that St. John the baptist was humble. It was St. John the Baptist who stated that "there will be one who will come after Him whose sandals he is not worthy to wear." St. John the Baptist was referring to our Lord Jesus Christ. When Christ washed the feet of His Apostles, again He put Himself as a servant rather than as a king. This is the kind of humility He wanted us to follow.

Humility should not be confused with idoltry. When a person put others first before themselves that is not making them into an idol. That is what we call "humility." Putting yourself last is being humble. Putting yourself as a servant rather than as a leader is being humble. Worshipping something other than God is "idoltry." That's the difference.

what you are not understanding is that what was well intentioned thing has over time been corrupted. of course the church will not say this straight out because it will only hurt them. but you have statues of mary, you pray to her for guidance and direction, and ect. btw a snake is a creature and it too was worshiped along with hanna montana and many others.

Catholics don't worship Mary. They are only doing what Jesus did. It was Jesus who honored His mother. One of the Ten Commandments of God is "honor your mother and father." Jesus followed this commandment perfectly......more perfectly than anyone. He honored His Father who is God. And Jesus also honored His mother. Because Jesus honored His mother, we followed His example by doing the same thing......Afterall, Jesus is the WAY, the Truth, and the Life. Because He is the WAY to the Father, then we follow in His ways. Christ honored His mother Mary, so we do what Christ did....honor His mother as well.

Also, those who enjoy listening to the music of Hanna Montana does not mean that they worship Hanna Montana. They simply like her music and that is all.

Correction on my post. Mungo never said that St. John was greater than Jesus.

Reactions: Mungo

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Why do people equate the term 'Mother of God' with divinity? As if Mary has to be greater than Jesus if she gave birth to Him? No one is teaching that belief. Also, Mary was not culpable, but she needed a Savior just like the rest of us. Lots of people have walked the Earth who are not culpable - mentally challenged, children, Adam and Eve - all need a Savior to erase original sin, but not everyone is culpable for their own behavior.

Hmmmm, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blessed_Virgin_Mary_(Roman_Catholic). As far as I'm concerned, the term 'mother of God' is downright wrong. God is SELF-EXISTENT. He cannot have a mother. Through a miraculous conception, the Almighty God fused himself with humanity. The humanity was supplied by Mary, but at NO POINT was she ever the mother of God.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm, check out http://en.wikipedia....Roman_Catholic). As far as I'm concerned, the term 'mother of God' is downright wrong. God is SELF-EXISTENT. He cannot have a mother. Through a miraculous conception, the Almighty God fused himself with humanity. The humanity was supplied by Mary, but at NO POINT was she ever the mother of God.

Ok, it is your loss.

You mention the miraculous conception of Jesus in one sentence and discount another in the next. So was Jesus Mary's half son? Just the mother of his human side? Because it is heresy to divide the incarnation of Christ who is fully human and fully God......

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Hmmmm, check out http://en.wikipedia....Roman_Catholic). As far as I'm concerned, the term 'mother of God' is downright wrong. God is SELF-EXISTENT. He cannot have a mother. Through a miraculous conception, the Almighty God fused himself with humanity. The humanity was supplied by Mary, but at NO POINT was she ever the mother of God.

Mary is the mother of Jesus, who is God. Jesus is the second person in the Holy Trinity. So, when we say "mother of God", it is meant as the mother of God the Son.....not God the Father. Mary gave birth to a person.....the person of Jesus Christ who is true man and true God. Mary did not give birth to a half person. When Jesus was born, He was recognized not only as a human person, but also as a King and God. This is why the Heavens rejoiced singing "Glory to God in the highest" when the Child Jesus was born. The angels in Heaven recognized that this baby whom Mary gave birth to was Christ the LORD. The baby she gave birth to was the LORD, not to some half human who later acquired a divine nature. Mary is the mother of God the Son. So, it is right to call her the "mother of God" because Jesus is God.

Luke 2:10-11 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In Lk 1:43 Elizabeth says (while “filled with the Holy Spirit”) "And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord (kuriou) should come to me?"

Several times in chapter 1 Luke uses kuriou/kurios for God (indeed herself Elizabeth does in verse 25). So Elizabeth calling Mary the mother of my Lord is calling her the mother of my God.

Reactions: Selene