Singing Ave Maria in church/home robs God's Glory?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

layhoma

May 23, 2012
Hong Kong
Blessings!

I would like not to go so far as singing the song "Ave Maria" in a Church. I have never heard this tune played besides in a Catholic church. My real question is:

Would you consider merely accepting, liking and playing this song in your home and get this guilty feeling of worshiping Jesus's mother ? In a deeper spiritual sense, would you say it's a channel of worshiping her, thus committing a sin of idolatry ?

Lyrics of the song in English:

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee;
blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

I googled and found the origin of this song as :Ave Maria (Salutatio Angelica) a traditional Catholic and Orthodox church prayercalling for the intercession of Mary.

But I know that it's a fact that it is written that one could get to God only through Jesus. My limited theology wisdom would only take me as far as rationalizing why I would need intercession from Mary since Jesus lives in me. With no disrespect I guess that is where the Catholic disagree.

I posted this question in some public forum in spiritual corner of Yahoo and get rebuked of being some Protestant Fundamentalist........I was thinking: "am I the only one being in the minority here or what ?"

A participant actually gave me direct quotes from the Bible according to Luke 1:28 & 1:48 and justified that it's scriptural.

All in all, the tune of this song is heavenly mesmeric. I really like this song a lot. But my spirit of discernment tells me the lyrics are somewhat in conflict with the scriptures. I feel that you don't have to play a Lady Ga Ga song to worship the enemy, just a few disguises underneath the skin are enough to set you off course. My sincere apology if I have offended anyone. I really need your comments.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Blessings!

I would like not to go so far as singing the song "Ave Maria" in a Church. I have never heard this tune played besides in a Catholic church. My real question is:

Would you consider merely accepting, liking and playing this song in your home and get this guilty feeling of worshiping Jesus's mother ? In a deeper spiritual sense, would you say it's a channel of worshiping her, thus committing a sin of idolatry ?

Lyrics of the song in English:

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee;
blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

I googled and found the origin of this song as :Ave Maria (Salutatio Angelica) a traditional Catholic and Orthodox church prayercalling for the intercession of Mary.

But I know that it's a fact that it is written that one could get to God only through Jesus. My limited theology wisdom would only take me as far as rationalizing why I would need intercession from Mary since Jesus lives in me. With no disrespect I guess that is where the Catholic disagree.

I posted this question in some public forum in spiritual corner of Yahoo and get rebuked of being some Protestant Fundamentalist........I was thinking: "am I the only one being in the minority here or what ?"

A participant actually gave me direct quotes from the Bible according to Luke 1:28 & 1:48 and justified that it's scriptural.

All in all, the tune of this song is heavenly mesmeric. I really like this song a lot. But my spirit of discernment tells me the lyrics are somewhat in conflict with the scriptures. I feel that you don't have to play a Lady Ga Ga song to worship the enemy, just a few disguises underneath the skin are enough to set you off course. My sincere apology if I have offended anyone. I really need your comments.

I'm curious as to how the "lyrics" are in conflict with scripture

layhoma

May 23, 2012
Hong Kong

Luke 4:8

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Jesus replied, "The Scriptures say, 'You must worship the LORD your God and serve only him.'"[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]All the hymns and songs we sing in Churches must have something to do with the Trinity. God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.[/background]
Ave Maria is not part of the Trinity and it seems to me that any Praise and Worship that derails from the focus of God is not right. Again, it robs God of his glory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, are we suppose to take John 14:6 seriously ?

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.[/background]

[background=rgb(249, 253, 255)]That said, if Jesus lives in us and through us to reach God, why do we need [/background][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]intercessory prayers though Mary or from any saints who have returned to Paradise. The part of the lyrics that caught my attention is " pray for us sinners". Isn't that sanctification process achieved through praying to Jesus and ask for forgiveness ? So when the lyrics, although are taken out of context from the Bible and put into hymn or used as a form of prayer, doesn't it exalt Marry above Jesus ? This is just my crude justification and I may be wrong. That is why I've posted my concern here in the first place. I'm opened to all suggestions. Go easy on me OK, I'm just a milk fed Christian. [/background][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)] [/background][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)] :)[/background]

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Hello Mungo,

They're not in conflict with Sacred Scripture. Intercession means to ask others to pray for you. The Holy Bible instructs us to always pray for each other (See James 5:16). Christians always ask their family and friends to pray for them. For Catholics and Orthodox Christians, we not only ask our family and friends to pray for us, but we also ask Mary and the saints in Heaven to also pray for us. A Christian is a member of the Body of Christ and will always be a member of the Body of Christ even when he/she dies and his/her soul enters God's kingdom. Death does not take away our membership of being part of the Body of Christ. Why? Because death has no hold over us. When we are members of the Body of Christ, we are one with Christ and with the rest of our brothers and sisters here on earth and in Heaven. Death does not separate us from God nor from those in Heaven (See Romans 8:38-39). The mystical Body of Christ consist of all members on Earth and in Heaven for there is only one Body of Christ.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 4:8

Jesus replied, "The Scriptures say, 'You must worship the LORD your God and serve only him.'"

Why is the “Hail Mary” prayer (said or sung) worship?

All the hymns and songs we sing in Churches must have something to do with the Trinity. God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
Why?
Where does it say that in the Bible?

Ave Maria is not part of the Trinity and it seems to me that any Praise and Worship that derails from the focus of God is not right. Again, it robs God of his glory.
Mary is certainly not part of the Trinity. We can agree on that.

How do the words in the prayer rob God of his glory?

Correct me if I'm wrong, are we suppose to take John 14:6 seriously ?

Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

That said, if Jesus lives in us and through us to reach God, why do we need intercessory prayers though Mary or from any saints who have returned to Paradise. The part of the lyrics that caught my attention is " pray for us sinners". Isn't that sanctification process achieved through praying to Jesus and ask for forgiveness ?

Why then did Paul ask people to pray for him (e.g. Eph 6:19-20, Col 4:3, 1Thess 5:25, 2 Thess 3:1, Heb 13:18) ?

Was Paul wrong to do that?

So when the lyrics, although are taken out of context from the Bible and put into hymn or used as a form of prayer, doesn't it exalt Marry above Jesus ? This is just my crude justification and I may be wrong. That is why I've posted my concern here in the first place. I'm opened to all suggestions. Go easy on me OK, I'm just a milk fed Christian. :)

I can't see how it exalts Mary above Jesus. Mary is a creature and can never be out above Jesus.

She is Jesus' mother. Should she not be honoured?

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
The Ave is about honouring Mary, not worshipping her. She is Theotokos (God bearer) and she should be honoured as suc but she's never woprshipped.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Mungo,

They're not in conflict with Sacred Scripture. Intercession means to ask others to pray for you. The Holy Bible instructs us to always pray for each other (See James 5:16). Christians always ask their family and friends to pray for them. For Catholics and Orthodox Christians, we not only ask our family and friends to pray for us, but we also ask Mary and the saints in Heaven to also pray for us. A Christian is a member of the Body of Christ and will always be a member of the Body of Christ even when he/she dies and his/her soul enters God's kingdom. Death does not take away our membership of being part of the Body of Christ. Why? Because death has no hold over us. When we are members of the Body of Christ, we are one with Christ and with the rest of our brothers and sisters here on earth and in Heaven. Death does not separate us from God nor from those in Heaven (See Romans 8:38-39). The mystical Body of Christ consist of all members on Earth and in Heaven for there is only one Body of Christ.

Hi Selene.

I agree with you sister.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
My limited theology wisdom would only take me as far as rationalizing why I would need intercession from Mary since Jesus lives in me. With no disrespect I guess that is where the Catholic disagree.
All in all, the tune of this song is heavenly mesmeric. I really like this song a lot. But my spirit of discernment tells me the lyrics are somewhat in conflict with the scriptures.

Hi Mungo! well discerned!... :huh:

Romans 8:27
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Romans 8:34
Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

Bless you!!! :)

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mungo! well discerned!... :huh:

Romans 8:27
Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Romans 8:34
Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

Bless you!!! :)

Hi Angelina,

I think you are confusing me with layhoma. He made the quotes you gave.

However I come back to the point that Paul asked others to pray for him (e.g. Eph 6:19-20, Col 4:3, 1Thess 5:25, 2 Thess 3:1, Heb 13:18).

layhoma

May 23, 2012
Hong Kong
Hi Angelina,

I think you are confusing me with layhoma. He made the quotes you gave.

However I come back to the point that Paul asked others to pray for him (e.g. Eph 6:19-20, Col 4:3, 1Thess 5:25, 2 Thess 3:1, Heb 13:18).

I would want to skip your other questions regarding my content. That would be going in circles. But l can reply to your claims from the above verses regarding Paul's asking for other brothers and sisters to pray for him. These verses are all directed toward those of the living! I am concerned about asking for anything from above that is not of the Trinity. I hope that makes my point clear. :)

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I would want to skip your other questions regarding my content. That would be going in circles. But l can reply to your claims from the above verses regarding Paul's asking for other brothers and sisters to pray for him. These verses are all directed toward those of the living! I am concerned about asking for anything from above that is not of the Trinity. I hope that makes my point clear. :)

Are you saying that those in God's kingdom are not living? Are those in Heaven dead? Did not Jesus said that all who believe in Him will have eternal life? So, if a person believes in Christ, that person is now a member of the Body of Christ. Are members of the Body of Christ dead? And if that person leaves this earth, does he/she have eternal life or not?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ohh...sorry, thought the quotes came from you... ^_^

were they living at the time??? :p

What has that to do with it?

You seemed to be saying with your quotes that nobody should pray for us because that conflicts with Christ as our intercessor and one mediator.

Either we should not aks anyone to pray for us, in which case Paul was wrong to ask, or we can ask others to pray for us..

Whether they are living here on earth now, or are in heaven is a different issue.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Why would it be going in circles?

Why raise something if you are not prepared to discuss it?