Lizbeth
Well-Known Member
It's one of those paradoxes of scripture I believe. We do have our part and price to pay.....Hebrews 4 says "let us labour therefore to enter into that rest". And yet at the same time, it says "we who believe HAVE entered His rest" (but I believe these things are speaking at the same time of a deeper or perhaps more complete level of rest that "remains" for us to enter into). In my mind I think in terms of it being a matter of consecration, consecration of our lives to the Lord....our entire life laid on the altar as a whole burnt offering, offered back to God, to become a living sacrifice and wholly ruled by Him. (Perhaps others may think of it in different terms though, I'm not sure.) I used to think or assume I already was, doing all I knew to do as far as I could, but came to see (by His light) that I'm really still kind of choosing what parts of my life to offer Him at any given time, which means I'm really still ruling it.I think its common to believe spiritual perfection as a standard is discouraging.
I was always way more discouraged in believing we just had to remain in a perpetual state of sin management. When I was guilty, I would turn to major Christian speakers.
They said, "Rest in the finished work of the cross." I did. I just sinned worse. So I was in a cycle, thinking I just wasn't resting the right way.
Thankfully Scripture doesn't say that. It says to look for the way out of temptation. It says to transform your mind. It says make no provision for the flesh. It says purify yourSELF. *Strive* to enter through the narrow gate. Strive, resist, make every effort. Oh my gosh. Effort? What about "resting in the finished work of the cross"?
Not in the Bible.
In terms of bridal imagery of scripture as I see it: we are in a state of betrothal, so our lives still really belong to us in a limited way, though we are promised and set apart for the Bridegroom.....but the wedding is when we offer ourselves to the Lord to be wholly possessed by Him. And then it will truly or wholly/completely be "no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me."

