Lizbeth
Well-Known Member
Amen, I agree. It a love that is not of our own, but God's love which goes beyond and is higher than human emotions. I believe it is alluding to or speaking again of walking in His Spirit/nature.While many see the use of "perfect" in these places as referring to "moral excellence", or something similar, in fact that is not the particular meaning of the word used here. This is "complete", "mature", "finished", like that.
Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, "be ye perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect". When you look at the context, it's about not loving the ones who love you only, but to be complete and mature in your love for others, loving even those who hate you.
Much love!
Looking it up in the Hebrew the word translated as "perfect" is "salem" (shalom)....which seems to encapsulate kind of a range of meanings...whole, perfect, full, just, peaceable. I get a sense of a finishing touch that makes something whole/perfect/finished/full/complete......and I believe the finishing touch is His Spirit that we are to walk in...in other words we are to be spiritual...walk in the fullness of Christ.
