SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
marksman said:
The majority of the verses in the Greek is to literally to fall down.

​Your spin on them all shows that you have no idea what you are talking about which I knew anyway as people that oppose something without having experienced it usually say what they think it means, not what it means.

​Your obsession with someone touching a person on the head and being pushed over is a case in question. I have seen people fall without anyone touching them or pushing them over. In fact regularly so until you can separate yourself from the experience you will not be able to mount a reasonable argument.

​I have found and you obviously haven't that that God doesn't do things according to the way we want things done. As the scripture says, "the Spirit give the gifts severally as HE WILLS. Not as we will.

You cannot operate in the gifts of the Spirit unless he gives you the ability to do so and you cannot operate the gifts according to your way of thinking. If the truth be known, you probably do not operate in the gifts of the Spirit in any shape or form because I have found that people that want everything to happen their way are usually bypassed by the Spirit.

In one meeting I was in so I saw it all, the preacher told some adults to form a fire tunnel and the young people were going to walk through it and get an anointing from God as they did so. About a dozen adults formed a tunnel holding their hands in the air and joining them at the top.

The young people started to walk through the tunnel and not in every case, as they walked through they fell to the ground as they were "slain in the Spirit." Many spent time on the floor worshiping the Lord and some of the adults knelt beside them and prayed for them. By the time all the young people had gone through the tunnel there were bodies all over the place.

NO ONE TOUCHED THEM WHEN THEY FELL.

Those of us who were not involved in the whole thing could feel the power of the Spirit on the kids.

Now, please don't give me some sanctimonious explanation for it all as you were not there. You did not see the Power of the Spirit on the kids. You did not see them fall down without anyone touching them. You did not see them being set free from various things as they were on the floor. You did not see any sensationalism or orchestration of the result. You did not see the changed lives of the young people.

What you need to do now is accept that you don't know everything. Your experience of the power of the spirit is very limited. When God decides to use someone for supernatural purposes, he chooses the way it happens, not you. There are people who can hear from God as well as you if not better than you. There are people who are not afraid to do things unless they are done perfectly. In other words, according to the way that man thinks it should be done.

If you can come to terms with the things I have listed, you will start making progress.

And your comment " You want to divert attention away from those pesky verses that contradict you...
One good reason to always read before you post" is arrogant in the extreme as I drew your attention to the verses, not diverted your attention from them because if I had I would not have posted them.

As for reading before I post, how do you know that I didn't? You don't so you're being totally sanctimonious and trying to sound superior to others but you are failing miserably to be this. All you are doing is letting us know how little you know.
The problem is that, in nearly every verse you posted, the person "fell down to worship"....a totally voluntary act.
God is not knocking them down. They are intentionally assuming a position of worship.
They are not being overwhelmed by the power of God, but rather by their own love for Him.

The exceptions are, of course, the men in the Garden of Gethsemane who came to arrest Jesus, and, of course, Saul, who was on his way to Damascus with authority to arrest Jesus. Hardly anyone's idea of devout Christians receiving a blessing from the Lord...

Oh, and of course, Ananias and Sapphira, who were literally "slain" as in DEAD. I'm sorry, but I had to assume you had not read those verses...I mean, dropping dead on the floor is certainly not a blessing...is it?

Those are just a couple of examples of what I'm talking about. But, you say you read them all... :wacko:

What gets me about all of this is that you guys seem to be making it up as you go along.
A "tunnel of fire"? This is patent nonsense. Young people, falling over... :rolleyes: ...and, of course, they are quite convinced that "Goddidit".
Sounds more to me like a Saturday night at the bar...

Again, God can and does set people free from bondage without knocking them off of their feet. He does it all the time. And people can and do pray for one another without anyone having to put on a show.

You really think that God is behind these "signs and wonders"?
What does Jesus say?

Mat 16:1 The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven.
Mat 16:2 He answered and said unto them, When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky is red.
Mat 16:3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
Mat 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. And he left them, and departed.

Let me repeat that for you:

"A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas."

Not my words. Now, I don't know about you, but I do believe that I will listen to the Lord. I'm thinking that He probably knows a great deal more about what He is talking about than any of us.

And again:

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Say what, Lord?

"For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

Obviously, God's elect are not fooled by this nonsense. Jesus says that there will be no signs and wonders. Again, He would know better than anyone else. If He says no signs and wonders, then there will be no signs and wonders. Therefore, any supposed signs and wonders must be those false Christs (false "anointed ones") and false prophets that He warned us of.

Did you know, we have an adversary, who is raging up and down like a lion, looking for gullible souls...to devour them.
I am hoping to save a few from his nasty bite...

However, there are going to be quite a few who will be beyond reach.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

It is rather difficult to reason with someone who is laboring under a strong delusion.
But I do urge you to seek after the simple truth of God's love. You don't need all the sensational trimmings...just a quiet peace that only Christ can give.
Believe me, that peace...that quiet joy...that feeling of being filled with His love....that is so much better than these phony baloney "signs and wonders" that there are no words to describe the difference for you.

Silly one, don't you know that there has only ever been ONE Who has received "a special anointing from God"?

The term, Christ, is a title. It is the New Testament equivalent of the Old Testament term, messiah, and means anointed one. It is applied to Jesus as the anointed one who delivers the elect from their sin. Jesus alone is the Christ.
The above is quoted from
https://carm.org/dictionary-christ

In other words, every one who claims "a special anointing from God" is claiming to be a "Christ". As Jesus warned, there are a number of "false Christs" in the world.
How can we tell them?
Simple.
They will be claiming to have "a special anointing from God".

There is no such thing as a Christian who does not receive an anointing from God. But those who claim some kind of "special anointing" are trying to raise themselves above their fellows...whether they realize it or not, what they are actually claiming is to be a "Christ".

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Marksman, I have long ago accepted that I do not know everything. That is why I depend on the One Who does.
And I am very sure that I am not the only one who hears the Voice of God. He promised that His sheep would hear His voice, and that He knows them.

Unfortunately, He also warned us that there would be stranger's voices clamoring for our attention...His sheep will not hear these voices....but evidently there are some who do listen, and as a result, they wander off of the path.

You speak of those who are "not afraid to do things unless they are done perfectly"....I wonder, do you mean that these people are not afraid to strike out on their own, doing things that God never ordained, and that the apostles never did?

No thank you...I believe I will stay on the path that He set for His apostles, and that His apostles taught according to His instructions.

If it was good enough for the men who walked with Him during His time on earth, it is good enough for me. These shiny new toys do not tempt me at all...I am more than content with what God has given to me.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
marksman said:
​I have found and you obviously haven't that that God doesn't do things according to the way we want things done. As the scripture says, "the Spirit give the gifts severally as HE WILLS. Not as we will.

You cannot operate in the gifts of the Spirit unless he gives you the ability to do so and you cannot operate the gifts according to your way of thinking. If the truth be known, you probably do not operate in the gifts of the Spirit in any shape or form because I have found that people that want everything to happen their way are usually bypassed by the Spirit.
I know that I posted this for you before, but what the heck...let's look at the gifts of the spirit again:

1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

As you say, the Holy Spirit distributes His gifts, as He will.
Here I see
the word of wisdom
the word of knowledge
faith
the gifts of healing
the working of miracles
prophecy
discerning of spirits
diverse kinds of tongues
the interpretation of tongues

A very nice list. I've seen all of these things in action...indeed, I have my own gift from that list.
No, I'm not talking about the sensational way those gifts are being displayed in charismatic-type churches, glorifying the Holy Spirit, rather than the Holy Spirit glorifying Christ, and drawing attention to the person supposedly receiving the gift, rather than the gift-giver...
Rather, in my experience, the operation of the Holy Spirit happens in quiet, one on one situations.
Like my friend, that I talked about earlier...a young girl who was not a charismatic and who did not believe that the gifts were still being given, who volunteered for her church's "help line". She was on the telephone with a lady...she did not tell me what the lady's problem was, so I cannot tell you...when she found herself praying in a strange tongue. To her confusion, the lady at the other end of the phone began to cry. It turned out that my friend had been speaking in an old Hawaiian dialect that the woman on the phone had not heard since she had been a child. Her grandmother had spoken that way, and it gave the woman the comfort she so badly needed.
Nobody was more amazed by my friend's sudden gift of tongues than she was herself...and, as far as I know, she has not had such an experience again since.
But I am quite sure that, should the need ever arise again, the Lord is quite capable of sending her a tongue as needed.

What He does not do, I'm afraid, is send His gifts willy-nilly to a crowd of thrill-seekers.
The Holy Spirit does not perform "on demand", and He does not put on a show for an audience.
As you say, He does it according to His will....not ours.

What I do not see here is anything at all about being "slain in the spirit". There doesn't seem to be anything about the HS giving anyone the power to knock anyone off their feet, or even the gift of being knocked off of one's feet.
It
just
isn't
there...

Now, why do you suppose that is?

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thankyou for confirming that you are a fish out of water. I realise now that even God at work changing lives will not convince you about anything that doesn't fit your theology. I have met people who have gone down under the Spirit and testified to the fact that they have fallen in love with Jesus all over again as a result but I guess I will have to accept that it was the devil doing it, not the Holy Spirit.

I have met ministers who went down under the influence of the Spirit and their ministries have been revitalised but I guess I will have to accept it was satan doing the revitalising and drawing them closer to God.

And of course there are whole movements of God which have grown and grown and grown and seen the gifts of the Spirit in operation on a weekly basis but I had better let them know that it is satan that is blessing them not God so they need to start worshipping satan.

​Of course I will have to ignore the scriptures altogether because it says that satan steals, kills and destroys but according to you he doesn't, he draws people to God. I will have to tell my congregation to forget everything they have been taught. Everything that happened that has blessed them and enabled them to grow spiritually was actually satan, not the Holy Spirit so they are to fall in love with satan, not God.

And the most telling claim by you is "What I do not see here is anything at all about being "slain in the spirit". In other words, you don't see it so it is not there. Let me put you in the picture. There are millions who DO SEE IT so what you are saying is because I don't see it, everyone else is wrong. That is what is known as delusions of grandeur and shows you are totally unteachable.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
marksman said:
Thankyou for confirming that you are a fish out of water. I realise now that even God at work changing lives will not convince you about anything that doesn't fit your theology. I have met people who have gone down under the Spirit and testified to the fact that they have fallen in love with Jesus all over again as a result but I guess I will have to accept that it was the devil doing it, not the Holy Spirit.

I have met ministers who went down under the influence of the Spirit and their ministries have been revitalised but I guess I will have to accept it was satan doing the revitalising and drawing them closer to God.

And of course there are whole movements of God which have grown and grown and grown and seen the gifts of the Spirit in operation on a weekly basis but I had better let them know that it is satan that is blessing them not God so they need to start worshipping satan.

​Of course I will have to ignore the scriptures altogether because it says that satan steals, kills and destroys but according to you he doesn't, he draws people to God. I will have to tell my congregation to forget everything they have been taught. Everything that happened that has blessed them and enabled them to grow spiritually was actually satan, not the Holy Spirit so they are to fall in love with satan, not God.

And the most telling claim by you is "What I do not see here is anything at all about being "slain in the spirit". In other words, you don't see it so it is not there. Let me put you in the picture. There are millions who DO SEE IT so what you are saying is because I don't see it, everyone else is wrong. That is what is known as delusions of grandeur and shows you are totally unteachable.
I'm willing to look at it again. No problem.

1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Hmmm....
No matter how many times I post that passage, it still has the same list.
And there is no hint of any gift of slaying in the spirit. Nothing. Zip.

It isn't that I don't want to see it.
It.
Just.
Isn't.
There.

We searched through every case where someone "fell down"....and none of these have anything to do with the "slain in the spirit" experience.

A bit of research, however, reveals the spirit behind the phenomena.
If you are curious, Google "Kundalini Shakti".
Or not...suit yourself.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
The above is quoted from
https://carm.org/dictionary-christ

In other words, every one who claims "a special anointing from God" is claiming to be a "Christ". As Jesus warned, there are a number of "false Christs" in the world.
How can we tell them?
Simple.
They will be claiming to have "a special anointing from God".

There is no such thing as a Christian who does not receive an anointing from God. But those who claim some kind of "special anointing" are trying to raise themselves above their fellows...whether they realize it or not, what they are actually claiming is to be a "Christ".
No, because there is NO 'in other words'. You can't just take something and rephrase it to suit your POV. You do this a lot Barrd. Is it because you don't understand what is being said or you just don't want to accept it?

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
That is NOT factual Barrd and I have addressed this with you in the past. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is separate from Salvation and is clearly depicted in a few places in Acts. One clear example is Acts 19:1-7. If you continue to make these kind of assertions when you have been given the facts, it shows you are simply bound by your denominational dogma and NOT by the Word of God.
Oh no, not this one again. :p Oh dear. Haven't we debated the difference between baptism and salvation before? And, I am with you on it Stan. It is two separate acts entirely.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Born_Again said:
Oh no, not this one again. :p Oh dear. Haven't we debated the difference between baptism and salvation before? And, I am with you on it Stan. It is two separate acts entirely.
Whatever you want to call it, every Christian has accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior.
And the moment that person accepts Jesus Christ as his/her Savior, he/she receives the Holy Spirit.
There is no separate "baptism of the Holy Spirit"....the Bible doesn't teach any such thing.
Any more than it teaches anything at all about being "slain in the spirit."

Its.
Just.
Not.
There....

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Whatever you want to call it, every Christian has accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior.
And the moment that person accepts Jesus Christ as his/her Savior, he/she receives the Holy Spirit.
There is no separate "baptism of the Holy Spirit"....the Bible doesn't teach any such thing.

Its.
Just.
Not.
There....
Ooooookay. You bet!

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:

Its.
Just.
Not.
There....
NOT what the Bible teaches Barrd. READ Acts 19:1-7

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
Yes, Jesus acknowledged it, just as Paul and Peter did, but some won't move out of their comfort zone. I have no idea where they get that accepting Jesus means we receive the Holy Spirit automatically?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Yes, Jesus acknowledged it, just as Paul and Peter did, but some won't move out of their comfort zone. I have no idea where they get that accepting Jesus means we receive the Holy Spirit automatically?
From verses like these:

1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Or perhaps we just believed that Jesus' promise was for all of us:

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Joh 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Joh 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
Joh 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Well, for all of us who love Him enough to strive to keep His commandments, anyway.

I've said it often enough, but maybe you haven't been paying attention.
I am not a cessationist.
I believe that the Holy Spirit is alive and well, and is indwelling each and every Christian who has ever been born of water and the Spirit...and I know for a fact that the gifts of the Spirit are still very much in operation.

But the Holy Spirit does not put on a show. He doesn't perform "on cue" for an audience. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are much more than just pretty toys to take out and play with on Sunday morning.
And I know that Scripture says that the Lord does not change. Why would He suddenly add to the gifts of the Spirit things that the Apostles had not even imagined?
Seriously, guys....holy laughter? Getting "drunk in the spirit"? And....animal noises? Really, Stan? Animal noises? We've all seen that video with the pastor who could not so much as read a word from the Bible, because every time he opened his mouth, he crowed like a rooster. One lady was doing such a good imitation of a chicken, it almost looked as if her knees were bending backward....she looked as if she were about to lay an egg any second.
And you truly want me to believe that this stuff comes from God?

Uh....no.
These things do not come from God, and I think that, if you think about it for a little, you will realize that.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
From verses like these:

1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Or perhaps we just believed that Jesus' promise was for all of us:

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Joh 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Joh 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
Joh 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Well, for all of us who love Him enough to strive to keep His commandments, anyway.

I've said it often enough, but maybe you haven't been paying attention.
I am not a cessationist.
I believe that the Holy Spirit is alive and well, and is indwelling each and every Christian who has ever been born of water and the Spirit...and I know for a fact that the gifts of the Spirit are still very much in operation.

But the Holy Spirit does not put on a show. He doesn't perform "on cue" for an audience. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are much more than just pretty toys to take out and play with on Sunday morning.
And I know that Scripture says that the Lord does not change. Why would He suddenly add to the gifts of the Spirit things that the Apostles had not even imagined?
Seriously, guys....holy laughter? Getting "drunk in the spirit"? And....animal noises? Really, Stan? Animal noises? We've all seen that video with the pastor who could not so much as read a word from the Bible, because every time he opened his mouth, he crowed like a rooster. One lady was doing such a good imitation of a chicken, it almost looked as if her knees were bending backward....she looked as if she were about to lay an egg any second.
And you truly want me to believe that this stuff comes from God?

Uh....no.
These things do not come from God, and I think that, if you think about it for a little, you will realize that.
None of these verses support your assertion or premise that we receive the Holy Spirit when we are saved. You also seem to not see the distinction between the Spirit of Christ as in Salvation, with the Holy Spirit, as in Baptism by?
Yes He did say ANOTHER comforter would come, and they we instructed to WAIT for Him, which they did and in Acts 2:4, and whom they received and SPOKE in tongues.

The Holy Spirit responds to those that have faith and actually BELIEVE what God's Word and Jesus said, not just HOPE it.

As the Bible tells us that Jesus would baptise with the Holy Spirit and fire, and as that is what DID happen in Acts, then the precedence has been established. Continuing to focus on the bad aspects of the charisma caused by the Holy Spirit doesn't negate His reality, anymore than focusing on all the BAD examples of Christianity that exist in the world, negates Christianity. Paul said very clearly in
1 Cor 14:32-33; The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.
Like all of us who walk in God, we have control to do what God wants or to do what we want. ALWAYS choose the former.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess one should read al lof acts.

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished,
as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Yet

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

See they where baptized as per Joh not as with teh Holy Ghost

The Holy Gost is given to those who believe.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
:p
I kinda like sticking to the things Jesus taught His Apostles, myself.
I find it keeps me out of trouble....
I actually misread what you had posted. I am saying that baptism its self does not bring salvation.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Act 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Do you know many people who have been baptized by John the Baptist, these days? If so, I'd love to meet them...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
mjrhealth said:
I guess one should read al lof acts.

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished,
as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Yet

See they where baptized as per Joh not as with teh Holy Ghost

The Holy Gost is given to those who believe.
For once, MJ, we are in agreement.

Well, sorta.

The Holy Spirit is given to those who believe.
To all of those who believe. It is the seal of our promise.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Born_Again said:
I actually misread what you had posted. I am saying that baptism its self does not bring salvation.
No, of course not, BA.
I would say that baptism is an answer to salvation, but not the thing itself. Sort of a "birth announcement". Or a "rebirth announcement"...

Jesus was baptized "to fulfill all righteousness". And, since I am following Him, I do as I see my Lord do. It is really just that simple.

Every Christian...that is every one who has been saved from the curse of sin and death....every one who has accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior...receives the Holy Spirit.

And the Spirit, as has been told over and over again, gives His gifts as He wills.

1Co 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
1Co 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

I've already shown that there is nothing in this list pertaining to anyone being "slain in the spirit". The Holy Spirit is not giving anyone the gift of knocking people over with a touch, nor is He giving anyone the gift of falling over.
Do these charismatics have a special "indwelling of the spirit" that other Christians do not have?
We see here that "no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost." Now, that is something that I say a lot. I call Him Lord of Lords and King of Kings...He is the Lord of my life and the King of my heart. Now, if I cannot say these things but by the Holy Ghost, then I must also have been given the Holy Spirit.
So, why is it that I've never been knocked off of my feet? Oh, I have fallen down to worship Him, as so many in the Bible have done...but it was always a voluntary act of worship. God never overwhelmed me and made me fall over, as He did with those who came to arrest Him in Gethsemane...even though I've had a few preachers try with all their might to make me fall down.
Perhaps I have a different Holy Spirit?
No....this passage quite clearly tells me that "Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit." The Spirit God gave to me is the exact same Spirit as He sends to everyone that believes in Him. "It is the same God which worketh all in all."

What I do not understand is why people feel a necessity to add to the spiritual gifts listed here?

The Holy Spirit does not perform on cue, like some sort of circus act. I'd find it more plausible if I were told that someone was overwhelmed and fell over unexpectedly...perhaps when the light of the gospel finally broke through. But the notion of people lining up at an altar to be "slain"....well, that just reeks of the stench of sulfur and brimstone to me. I can almost hear the gales of demonic laughter...

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
I'm willing to look at it again. No problem.

Hmmm....
No matter how many times I post that passage, it still has the same list.
And there is no hint of any gift of slaying in the spirit. Nothing. Zip.

NOT ONCE, please note NOT ONCE ​have I said that being slain in the spirit is a gift of the Spirit. This comment shows very clearly you have the penchance to put your own spin on things and your mind is shut off to the truth, that is why your comments are not worth the paper they are written on.

Status
Not open for further replies.