So Much Conjecture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
hey, new batch coming tomorrow, eh? likely gives the appearance that nothing changes, corporately, but individually they likely do, dont they? i know ive changed since coming here anyway

also i think we tend to try to give a man a fish rather than plant a seed, although i might be confusing two diff analogies, dunno

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hey, new batch coming tomorrow, eh? likely gives the appearance that nothing changes, corporately, but individually they likely do, dont they? i know ive changed since coming here anyway

also i think we tend to try to give a man a fish rather than plant a seed, although i might be confusing two diff analogies, dunno
I had legitimate questions that I have asked and learned much since coming on forums like this. But now I just look for people having legitimate questions or concerns. I sometimes step into a debate to speak my side of things but not always as I tend to get attacked rudely.

Reactions: marks and amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I had legitimate questions that I have asked and learned much since coming on forums like this. But now I just look for people having legitimate questions or concerns. I sometimes step into a debate to speak my side of things but not always as I tend to get attacked rudely.
that used to bug me, here, but after all real life is no different, and i find that i am able to interact with a few, and it’s easy enough to identify the fish-feeders i think

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS is the glorious LION of the tribe of JUDAH indeed . And we are but as wee things , as David would say about himself
a mere flea of a dog . DID YOU KNOW that DAVID called himself that . Just a wee flea of a dog .
HUMILITY .
WE ought to SEE GOD , SEE CHRIST as the ALL IN ALL .
and ourselves as simply lowly things that should be praising at HIS feet daily for HIS OWN MERCY
that HE has given us in Christ JESUS .
Look at the examples of FAITH that JESUS truly liked , marveled at .
Was it those who said , I COMMAND THEE TO GIVE ME MY HEALING OR ETC
OR was it those who said , I AM NOT EVEN WORTHY FOR YOU TO STEP UNDER MY ROOF
OR in another place , JESUS calles a lady a DOG and she didnt reubke him and say HEY I AINT NO DOG I AM A KINGS KID
NOPE , SHE SAID TRUE LORD . THIS IS TRUE , but even the DOGS do eat of the mere crumbs that fall from the childrens table .
GOD AINT LOOKING FOR THE PROUD my and HONORARY . BUT UNTO THE HUMBLE . Oh yes .
AND the beauty of it is , GOD humbles the heart of a lamb .

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I keep coming back to the problem of CONJECTURE.

There is something terribly wrong with it.

I see it as the very thing that God presented to Paul during the early church of the grumbling of the women (representing the bride of Christ) drowning out the men (representing Christ). It is a parable ("as Christ is unto the church"). And we know what his counsel was.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I keep coming back to the problem of CONJECTURE.

There is something terribly wrong with it.

I see it as the very thing that God presented to Paul during the early church of the grumbling of the women (representing the bride of Christ) drowning out the men (representing Christ). It is a parable. And we know what his counsel was.
The main problem with people that argue when they post is this: They accept one scripture and ignore others. They always end up arguing with people that accept the entire bible.

Reactions: amadeus and ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The main problem with people that argue when they post is this: They accept one scripture and ignore others. They always end up arguing with people that accept the entire bible.
That is absolutely true--and the only recourse should be to reconcile the would-be opposing passages.

Which many of us try to do.

But the arguers keep arguing--and why? Because they continue to reject the truth, even line upon line. And it just gets worse.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is absolutely true--and the only recourse should be to reconcile the would-be opposing passages.

Which many of us try to do.

But the arguers keep arguing--and why? Because they continue to reject the truth, even line upon line. And it just gets worse.
Sometimes I just let go and move on :)

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I just let go and move on :)
Yes, Paul did that too, even turning some over to Satan ("for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus").

Reactions: amadeus

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Paul did that too, even turning some over to Satan ("for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus").
Interesting.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott, the Calvinist-Arminian dispute has been ongoing since the Articles Of Remonstrance 411 years ago without definitively reconciling the opposing passages. The Unitarian-Trinitarian dispute since before Nicaea in 312 AD. Keeping Torah has been an issue since Paul’s apostolic journeys. To name some long-running threads that have used up a few terabytes of CB’s host server. We’re not going to reconcile those passages here. All I can do is believe what I believe while accepting the tensions inherent in scripture, and allow others to do the same.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scott, the Calvinist-Arminian dispute has been ongoing since the Articles Of Remonstrance 411 years ago without definitively reconciling the opposing passages. The Unitarian-Trinitarian dispute since before Nicaea in 312 AD. Keeping Torah has been an issue since Paul’s apostolic journeys. To name some long-running threads that have used up a few terabytes of CB’s host server. We’re not going to reconcile those passages here. All I can do is believe what I believe while accepting the tensions inherent in scripture, and allow others to do the same.
Very informative. I must admit you are more studied on those issues than I am.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear ya.

But I favor the idea that all truth is ours if we receive it. In fact, I would go so far as to say, I see much of what you mentioned like I do the US Civil War...and the aftermath like the political circus that keeps coming to town from time to time.

Goldie75

Mar 20, 2022
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I see some of it in a different way, it is only by revelation that we see the hidden depths of scripture and that revelation only comes from the Lord. Anyone can pick up a Bible and read it, but without that revelation what we see will be different. Along side that runs the truth that all of us are on our own journeys with revelation, but In order to grow, evaluate, learn, change, there has to be an openness to be be humble and accept that it’s not always a matter of being wrong or right, but merely where a person is on that journey. It’s also an issue of pride when , as individuals, a person totally believes that they have all the right answers and have arrived with absolute truth. That pride will not allow for self examination, will not allow for listening or reflecting on what others relay …….. How can God work in a persons life if they are so full of pride that they don’t believe there is any darkness in them
The psalmist would not have uttered the words ‘ search me O’Lord ‘ without being aware that on a personal level he was unable to fully see the darkness within him that needed a light to reveal it……….
We are not all knowing, only God is ………Prayer for that light to reveal is the only way forward, whether it be in our own lives or in the lives of others.
I have seen a few threads where people have considered their words and without any human prompting here have apologised for wrong attitudes in how they have spoken. …..that is refreshing.
Also , on a personal note, the Lord has used many of the threads here to lead me to ask and pray for more understanding and more soul searching………..some times, on reflection I have seen new things within scripture that I had not see before, other times it has merely served as a means to confirm something I already believed.
I guess the key is being open, iron sharpens iron.
Pride switches off the ability for the Lord to shine the light x
Just some thoughts, and ramblings……….and it may not be what you meant xx
Rita
I love this post! So much wisdom…
Pride, self-righteousness/having to be right/blindness to the possibility of not being right/elevating self to teacher level… are all things which hinder true Christian growth.
We need to be growing in our understanding of God’s word AND growing in agape love towards one another.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that used to bug me, here, but after all real life is no different, and i find that i am able to interact with a few, and it’s easy enough to identify the fish-feeders i think
Time is short. Shorter for some people than others, though we don't generally know just when we're going home.

I've always thought everyone desired purpose, some purpose, any purpose, and what higher purpose exists than serving God. That's a good desire. However, a sovereign God chooses how we will serve Him, and right there is where problems arise. In one word, the flesh desires preeminence.

The problem with that is we keep trying to crawl off the altar and on to the throne.

Today, I saw a podiatrist for the first time in about 5 years. He told me that, based upon my xray, I have arterial sclerosis in my right foot. Seeing how my foot is connected to the rest of my circulatory system, I now have a good idea of how the Lord will punch my ticket and take me home.

I don't know when, tonight or twenty years from now, but my days (all our days) are numbered. I don't really see a point in wasting time in vain arguments and would rather my time was spent profitably, ministering to the saints in a real congregation.

I brought this up in prayer meeting tonight because though I'm more than ready to go home, I'd rather it wasn't while driving 70mph on route 80. On hearing this the pastor seemed genuinely concerned and he barely knows me.
That's the sort of thing that you just can't experience from a keyboard and LCD viewing screen.

In the congregation of the saints, the saints will hold you accountable for your words and deeds, but they will love you all the way home. That isn't even possible through electronic media. Love is, to some extent, revealing who you are to other people, sincerity.

Avatars, fake identities, presumptuous understandings, misrepresentation, false personas, and filtered reality are not exactly suited to the true expression of love.

So, in the words of Douglas Adam's, " So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If we communicated the same way face-to-face as we do on-line, pretty soon we’d have a few hockey brawls breaking out. And since we Americans are constitutionally allowed to own guns…

You think so. Hmm. Thinking about it you might be right, just look at how much man loves war.

I suppose I'm drawing on my own experience when I say that. I rarely have disputes at work or anywhere in society.

I still think forum communication is unnatural to us. We don't get to read people's facial expression, tone, we don't even know the person's age, sex or nationality sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelvpardo

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate that, Robert. You have a good heart.

But I see the tensions inherent in scripture and I don’t see that they can be resolved.

Shoot one forth my friend, I will do my utmost to resolve it for you. You may be correct however, not all things can be at this time, but some might be able to be explained to your satisfaction. Feel free to call me Bob sir.