Sola Fide

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
That is called Pastor shopping. Finding someone who preaches what I believe.
then don't be looking for preaching what you already believe. The instruction is "eat what they feed you," not "pick from the menu" or "judge what pastor is saying." And of course mistakes here, of which i have made many, prolly more mistakes than not, are a part of the process

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then don't be looking for preaching what you already believe. The instruction is "eat what they feed you," not "pick from the menu" or "judge what pastor is saying." And of course mistakes here, of which i have made many, prolly more mistakes than not, are a part of the process
I'm not looking for preaching on what I already believe. That is the theory YOU are promoting. I disagree with what YOU are promoting.

You have me sooooo confused...I don't think I can go on. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying? I don't know. You have said so many different things that contradict each other.

I love you and I wish you luck.

Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Once I decide a pastor is wrong
everyone is wrong to someone else. You are there to absorb what he got right, and yes to discern what is wrong for you also, but that should be basically something you are (hopefully) learning to overlook in the process. A new Right Pastor is indicated when you have gotten everything that one has to teach you, when you've heard all his sermons, gotten his gist, and he has nothing new for you. imo.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Finding someone who preaches what I believe" is a pretty good symptom of that imo :)
No...you are 100% wrong.

Fence sitting is a state of indecision or neutrality with respect to conflicting positions.

When you "find someone who preaches what you BELIEVE" you are not "fence sitting". You have already decided (opposite of indecision) what you believe on a position (opposite of neutrality on a position).

Of course you qualified it with your infamous "IMO".....Facts trump IMO's.

I love you and wish you luck.

mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
everyone is wrong to someone else. You are there to absorb what he got right, and yes to discern what is wrong for you also, but that should be basically something you are (hopefully) learning to overlook in the process. A new Right Pastor is indicated when you have gotten everything that one has to teach you, when you've heard all his sermons, gotten his gist, and he has nothing new for you. imo.
Thank you.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Why did you leave? Because they were wrong and you were right? How can all those pastors be wrong and you right?
ha well see the above post, and understand that i am advising from hindsight, i did everything "wrong" lol. I stayed on good terms with them mostly because i was never a big "joiner" anyway, never pledged allegiance to a sect, however you want to put it. I would skip the Pentecostals, personally, but surely someone else would heartily recommend them, too, right

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha well see the above post, and understand that i am advising from hindsight, i did everything "wrong" lol. I stayed on good terms with them mostly because i was never a big "joiner" anyway, never pledged allegiance to a sect, however you want to put it. I would skip the Pentecostals, personally, but surely someone else would heartily recommend them, too, right
Thank you

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
That is the theory YOU are promoting. I disagree with what YOU are promoting.
um, well, "eat what they feed you" is Christ's instructions to the 12 sent out, but interpret that one how you like. But i would not recommend ignoring it, and you won't ever hear a sermon suggesting you follow it of course, bad for tithes and all lol

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My daughter has a BELIEF in Jesus but not FAITH in Jesus. She does NOT act on His commandments.
If my memory is correct, you once told me faith is belief.

In any sense, faith does not require works. I don't know if you are equating "action" with works, if you are I would like your understang of Eph 2:8-9:

Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If my memory is correct, you once told me faith is belief.

In any sense, faith does not require works. I don't know if you are equating "action" with works, if you are I would like your understang of Eph 2:8-9:

Ephesians 2:8-9 KJV
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Hi FHII,

If my memory serves me correctly....never mind. I'm to old to have a good memory ;)

If I did say that I would have to see what the context was. If you can find where I wrote that please do share with me and it may refresh my memory. I don't recall it and can't find it.

My understanding of Ephesians 2? I agree with it.

I also agree with James 2:24 and all the other verses in scripture that I provided in a previous post.

I don't like beating anything...especially dead horses.

Mary

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi FHII,

If my memory serves me correctly....never mind. I'm to old to have a good memory ;)

If I did say that I would have to see what the context was. If you can find where I wrote that please do share with me and it may refresh my memory. I don't recall it and can't find it.

My understanding of Ephesians 2? I agree with it.

I also agree with James 2:24 and all the other verses in scripture that I provided in a previous post.

I don't like beating anything...especially dead horses.

Mary

Are you a Jew? Read James 1;1 to see who it is written to. Does it mater? Absolutely! For anyone to say the book of James was written to the Gentiles too is to say James lied in James 1:1.

Reactions: Dcopymope

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you a Jew? Read James 1;1 to see who it is written to. Does it mater? Absolutely! For anyone to say the book of James was written to the Gentiles too is to say James lied in James 1:1.

James would be disobeying Christ's clear order to not spread the message to the gentiles if he did.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi HR,

No. I was not a follower of Judaism. Is the entire book of James for the followers of the Jewish faith only?

Mary

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi HR,

No. I was not a follower of Judaism. Is the entire book of James for the followers of the Jewish faith only?

Mary
YES!

Mary. Do you not realize who it was that had Paul arrested, sent to Rome and ended his ministry? It was Jews who believed. It was Jewish Christians who STILL were zealous for the law.

Read Acts 21-23. These are people who were not only going to kill him... They were looking to sourge him and torture him. James was the leader!

These are people who did not believe in grace through faith without works whixh is what Paul preached. They would've gotten away with it but Paul pleaded his Roman citizenship, his being a Jew himself and that he actually was a pharisee.

How sad. They didn't see him as a great man of God. He had to rely on other status to save his own neck.

What were the Jews upset at? It was his preaching that they didn't have ro follow the law! They didn't believe in the new message.

Overall.... Paul completed the ministry Jesus wanted him to finish. But he never made it to Spain which is where he was looking to go.

In short.... James was preaching to those who wanted to stay under the law. That wasn't Paul's message.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YES!

Mary. Do you not realize who it was that had Paul arrested, sent to Rome and ended his ministry? It was Jews who believed. It was Jewish Christians who STILL were zealous for the law.

Read Acts 21-23. These are people who were not only going to kill him... They were looking to sourge him and torture him. James was the leader!

These are people who did not believe in grace through faith without works whixh is what Paul preached. They would've gotten away with it but Paul pleaded his Roman citizenship, his being a Jew himself and that he actually was a pharisee.

How sad. They didn't see him as a great man of God. He had to rely on other status to save his own neck.

What were the Jews upset at? It was his preaching that they didn't have ro follow the law! They didn't believe in the new message.

Overall.... Paul completed the ministry Jesus wanted him to finish. But he never made it to Spain which is where he was looking to go.

In short.... James was preaching to those who wanted to stay under the law. That wasn't Paul's message.
YES!

Hi FHII,

I have never heard this teaching before. I will do some more research and get back to you...hopefully tomorrow

Are you saying Christians should not adhere to the teachings in the book of James? James is only meant for Jews converting to Christianity?

Respectfully, Mary

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi FHII,

I have never heard this teaching before. I will do some more research and get back to you...hopefully tomorrow

Are you saying Christians should not adhere to the teachings in the book of James? James is only meant for Jews converting to Christianity?

Respectfully, Mary
Absolutely not! Jews who are converting to Christanity should believe the message Paul preached. Grace through faith and not of works. If they believe otherwise, they are of like mind of those who had Paul arrested and shipped off to Rome.

Payl said that we are all onr blood, that there is neither Greek nor Jew (but ine in Christ) and if anyone - even another apostle or an angel - preach any other Gospel they are accursed. Even Gabriel! If Gabriel himself comes preaching a different gospel.... He is accursed.

James.... He was teaching whay he knew. I believe he was a Christian and I believe he was sincere in his teaching and love for Jesus. But he was not teaching the same message that Jesus gave to Paul.

So yes. Read Acts 21-23. See what these believing Jews who followed James did.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@FHII Post number 2217...excellent! Wonderfully clear.
fxsawx.gif

Reactions: FHII