Sola Scriptura 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. (John 5:39)

We search the Scriptures to have eternal life.

It is the Scriptures that speak and testify of Jesus.

Not: Search the Scriptures and the Sacred traditions...that accompany the Scriptures and add to the words of God.

In Sacred traditions people only think they have eternal life, which is why Jesus told them to leave their own traditions and go to the Scriptures, that they may have eternal life.

And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

If we don't search the Scriptures, we do not come to Jesus,. They that search their Sacred traditions do not come to Jesus Christ, but to another christ.

Doesn't say Scripture alone.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8)

Only the Scriptures speak and testify of Jesus and His Word. (John 5:39)
John 5:39 doesn't say Only Scripture..

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Error comes by not knowing the Scriptures, especially when holding to traditions not known by the Scriptures.

The power of God is only in the Scriptures of God. The authority of the dragon is in the traditions of men.

Sure error can come by not knowing Scripture but that doesn't says anything about traditions.

That doesn't say the power of God is only in the Scriptures.

You keep tossing in "only" where it doesn't exist.
Stick to what Scripture actually says not your inventions.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:39 doesn't say Only Scripture..
Yet the Scripture does say by your traditions you transgress the commandment of God and make it of none effect.

So, by Scripture only we do not transgress God's commandment, because Scripture only cannot contradict and nullify itself.

But the scripture hath concluded...

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said...

The only conclusions of God are by Scripture, and the only way to believe Jesus is by Scripture.

Scripture only is the one way to go to heaven with Jesus.

Reactions: amigo de christo

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hard to think that the Lord Jesus in John 17.17 "Thy word is truth" was supposedly referring to a mixture of the Word of God and religious tradition...
Hard, but not impossible.

Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard.

Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Good understanding is by Scripture only. Hard transgression is by sacred tradition added.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't say Scripture alone.
IT sure as heck dont say MAN ALONE .
People follow and trust in men Rather than learning the scriptures .
No wonder folks got and get deceived . Even paul said HE ought to be tested . Though mans judgment means naught .
The CC destroyed all who gathered under her . I pray many come out . As even another on this site says
He hates their doctrine but loves them . Its why i also warn all , COME YE OUT FROM AMONGST HER
AND , AND amongst most all even protestant churches .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet the Scripture does say by your traditions you transgress the commandment of God and make it of none effect.

So, by Scripture only we do not transgress God's commandment, because Scripture only cannot contradict and nullify itself.

The only conclusions of God are by Scripture, and the only way to believe Jesus is by Scripture.

Nor DID JESUS CONTRADICT SCRIPTURES , the law , or any word of GOD . HE FULLFILLED .
And in HIM we can fullfill the RIGHTEOUSNESS of the law . No need to perform all those ceremonies and sin offering .
WE GOT JESUS . As for the righteousness of the law . ITS FULLFILLED in two commandments .
LOVE GOD with , not part , not some , not most , BUT ALL THE HEART and LOVE thy neighbor as thyself .
The LOVE of GOD that comes from HIM , dont trangress , it fullfills . It wont steal , it wont lie , it wont etc .
But to those who make void the truth of GOD and call it grace , MAN I SHUDDER FOR THOSE FOLKS .
cause they neither know GOD , NOR HIS LOVE .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture ALONE.

I'll make you deal. You stop saying 'Sacred traditions', and I will stop saying Scripture 'Alone'.
This aint MONTE HALL . we make no such deals .
TRUE FAITH IN JESUS would entail we love the holy scriptures and by them we test all things men teach .
Folks are gonna learn we are in the falling away . and guess what , ROME , the CC LEADS IT
Most all protestanism is already under it and affected to some degree by it .
And always remember , THIS WORLD nor her religoins are gonna love you or me or any lamb .
This pope is a viper . Worse than the last few popes , AND WOE they were bad as well .

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

And Sacred Tradition cannot contradict Sacred Scripture since both are the word of God.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Sacred Tradition cannot contradict Sacred Scripture since both are the word of God.
Then the only sacred tradition you speak of is sacred Scripture. And so only sacred Scripture is sacred tradition.

And so any sacred tradition not in sacred Scripture is sacred to man only, not to God.

And so the only word spoken by God is written in Scripture of God which is true of God:

But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth.

I can go with that. And I thought we were in disagreement. My bad.

And so, you just don't like the word 'only'. But since sacred tradition of Scripture speaks of 'only', then you must repent and accept it:

Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

The only way to worship the Lord is only by what is written in Scripture.

And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

The only way to see Jesus only is to see Scripture only, and the tradition that is in Scripture only.

Any other tradition not in Scripture makes one cross-eyed, trying to see two different things in one:

The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.

Tradition in Scripture is one single tradition of the true light, any other tradition is darkness of man, that think to see a light where there is no light.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then the only sacred tradition you speak of is sacred Scripture. And so only sacred Scripture is sacred tradition.

And so any sacred tradition not in sacred Scripture is sacred to man only, not to God.

And so the only word spoken by God is written in Scripture of God which is true of God:

Untrue.
Sacred Tradition is the word of God not written down in Scripture.
You have been shown many times, from Scripture, that not all of God's words to mankind were written down in Scripture.

And you cannot show, from Scripture, that God's words to mankind were only written down in Scripture.

But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth.

I can go with that. And I thought we were in disagreement. My bad.

I agree that which is noted in Scripture is the truth.

And so, you just don't like the word 'only'. But since sacred tradition of Scripture speaks of 'only', then you must repent and accept it:

I have nothing against the word only when it actually appears in Scripture.
I don't like the word only when it is inserted into Scripture where it is not.
And nowhere does Scripture say that that God's words to mankind were only written down in Scripture.

Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

The only way to worship the Lord is only by what is written in Scripture.
That quote doesn't say that. It says that we only worship and serve God. It says nothing about the only way to worship and serve God is written down in Scripture.
You need some reading lessons.

And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only.

The only way to see Jesus only is to see Scripture only, and the tradition that is in Scripture only.

That quote doesn't say that.
You keep inventing things that Scripture doesn't say.

All other traditions not in Scripture makes one cross-eyed, trying to see two different things in one:
That is your personal and unbiblical opinion.

The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.

Tradition in Scripture is one single tradition of the true light, all other traditions are darkness of man, that think to see a light where there is no light.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Magisterium (or Teaching Authority) of the Church to be Perpetual:

We are mindful only of what is witnessed to by Holy Writ and what is otherwise well known.

And there is no 'and otherwise well known' with God apart from Scripture, though it be well known of men apart from the God of all Scripture.

Christ proves His own divinity and the divine origin of His mission by miracles.

And if seeing miracles is the basis of faith, then that faith will be deceived by crying statues:

And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast.

Followers of Jesus walk by faith, not by sight:

And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him.

Followers of miracles walk by sight, not by faith, but ever hoping to see some miracle in tree trunks or in cloud shapes.

The Bible of all Scripture is the greatest miracle of God on earth, that we ever need see and believe.

(S. Cyprianus, Ep. lxix., ad Magnum, n. I).

Anyone else ever notice how some people really like to use the words of ancient Rome and the old Roman religion? Makes me think of Magnum P.I.

If I were ever in their religion, I would probably become ad Magnum ad Nauseum.

But, I guess it does sound sort of Magnificat.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Magisterium (or Teaching Authority) of the Church to be Perpetual:

We are mindful only of what is witnessed to by Holy Writ and what is otherwise well known.

And there is no 'and otherwise well known' with God apart from Scripture, though it be well known of men apart from the God of all Scripture.

Christ proves His own divinity and the divine origin of His mission by miracles.

And if seeing miracles is the basis of faith, then that faith will be deceived by crying statues:

And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast.

Followers of Jesus walk by faith, not by sight:

And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him.

Followers of miracles walk by sight, not by faith, but ever hoping to see some miracle in tree trunks or in cloud shapes.

The Bible of all Scripture is the greatest miracle of God on earth, that we ever need see and believe.

(S. Cyprianus, Ep. lxix., ad Magnum, n. I).

Anyone else ever notice how some people really like to use the words of ancient Rome and the old Roman religion? Makes me think of Magnum P.I.

If I were ever in their religion, I would probably become ad Magnum ad Nauseum.

But, I guess it does sound sort of Magnificat.

And what does that prove - other than that you cannot find anything in Scripture that says Scripture alone is the word of God?

Lot's of opinions doesn't make up for lack of Scriptural proof for Sola Scriptura.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Untrue.
You have been shown many times, from Scripture, that not all of God's words to mankind were written down in Scripture.

And you cannot show, from Scripture, that God's words to mankind were only written down in Scripture.

I agree that which is noted in Scripture is the truth.

I have nothing against the word only when it actually appears in Scripture.
I don't like the word only when it is inserted into Scripture where it is not.
And nowhere does Scripture say that that God's words to mankind were only written down in Scripture.

That quote doesn't say that. It says that we only worship and serve God. It says nothing about the only way to worship and serve God is written down in Scripture.

That quote doesn't say that.
You keep inventing things that Scripture doesn't say.

What happened to 'sacred' Scripture? Back to just plain ol' Scripture again.

And so we see sacred tradition today is the same as yesterday: of man, not God. And held by men to be greater than God's Word written in Scripture of truth.

Or rather, Sacreder.

But their magnificum words and speech really sound cool. And impressive. Reminds me of ancient Rome and her old religion.

And a darn good one too!

However, Unbiblical being used by one holding to nonscriptural traditions? Isn't that sort of heretical, to use Sola Scriptura terms? It's at least self contradictive. I'm thinking someone needs to reimmerse themselves in their ad magnums for a while and get their eyes back on their magnificat prize.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what does that prove - other than that you cannot find anything in Scripture that says Scripture alone is the word of God?

Lot's of opinions doesn't make up for lack of Scriptural proof for Sola Scriptura.

True. But I like having fun with your stuff. We must keep ourselves in a good mood at all times.

"Mockery that is fun is mockery that is good to have fun with." (Anonymous)

Especially when there is enough truth in it to make it fun.

"True comedy must have the kernel of truth in it." (Rush Limbaugh)

Methinks someone needs to lighten up a bit.

"Too much scholarship is too much." (robert derrick)

And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

"Lots of tradition doesn't make up for lack of Scriptural proof for them." (Mungo edited)

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

What happened to 'sacred' Scripture? Back to just plain ol' Scripture again.

And so we see sacred tradition today is the same as yesterday: of man, not God. And held by men to be greater than God's Word written in Scripture of truth.

Or rather, Sacreder.

But their magnificum words and speech really sound cool. And impressive. Reminds me of ancient Rome and her old religion.

And a darn good one too!

However, Unbiblical being used by one holding to nonscriptural traditions? Isn't that sort of heretical, to use Sola Scriptura terms? It's at least self contradictive. I'm thinking someone needs to reimmerse themselves in their ad magnums for a while and get their eyes back on their magnificat prize.

Scripture is a shortened form of Sacred Scripture, just as Tradition is a shortened form of Sacred Tradition.
It saves some typing. :)