Sola Scriptura 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture itself warned of the dangers of such a belief First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, (2Pet 1:20).
Jesus promised the apostles , and therefore his Church, that the Holy Spirit would lead them into all truth. He did not make that promise to individual Christians.

You claimed that doctrines have to be Scripturally confirmed. But the doctrine that every Christian is led into all truth by the Holy Spirit is not Scripturally confirmed.

The Catholic Church does not reject Scripture. It rejects the false doctrine of Scripture alone.

What is that rant about?
Jesus promised the apostles , and therefore his Church, that the Holy Spirit would lead them into all truth. He did not make that promise to individual Christians.

And so this individual believes he has no promise of Holy Spirit from Jesus to guide him.

But the doctrine that every Christian is led into all truth by the Holy Spirit is not Scripturally confirmed.

Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you...when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth.

And the reason this individual rejects being individually guided into all truth, is because this individual rejects having the Spirit of truth within.

This is a confession of not being born again of the Spirit and circumcised in heart unto God:

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.

This individual confessed to not being saved and born of the Spirit and Word of God, by not believing the Scriptures only, but rather looking to outside help to tell him what to believe and think 'properly'.

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

This individual doesn't even search the Scriptures for eternal life, much less believe Jesus' words only as truth and life of God.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are just recycling scripture that has already been refuted.

How do we know Scripture has been refuted? When someone that rejects Sola Scriptura says has been refuted.

Them that reject Jesus is the Lord God also say Scripture showing such, is 'refuted'.

Those who reject Scripture as authority of God and Jesus as God, do not refute Scripture and Jesus, but only keep rejecting it and Him.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

'Refute' is nice-speak for trampling rejections.

OK, you want to be picky. It's your interpretation of Scripture that has been refuted and it's applicability to the point at issue.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Those who love their 'Sacred' traditions as necessary alongside Scripture, trample the pearls of Scripture in order to get at their tastier Sacred muck and mire.

Their Sacred traditions are no longer 'accompanying' Scripture, but rather Scripture becomes buried deep within the muck and the mire, making the pearls dirty to touch.

And so they teach their followers to touch not the unclean things of Scripture:

No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mammon is man-made traditions outside of Scripture, taught as 'necessary accompaniment' to Scripture.

Just your opinions and abuse of Scripture in apathetic attempt to justify them.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The devil loves that doctrine for it divides and divides.

The dividing doctrine of the devil begins with not rightly dividing between Scripture and what is not, between light and darkness, and good and evil.

The division comes when deceived followers of what is not Scripture, come out from the written doctrine of the apostles to separate themselves from the believing body of Christ, no longer holding to the true Head Jesus Christ only.

40,000 splintered Protestant denominations

One splintered protestant denomination among 40,000, is far better than 40,000 traditions of one religion splintered from the body of Christ.

Blah Blah Blah.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes we are to study Scripture. But that does not say that we can "rightly divide" Scripture without outside help. Scripture warns against that. First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, (2Pet 1:20)

I.e. I don't have a clue what God is talking about in Scripture, so I hand over all understanding of Scripture to others that don't believe Scripture is sufficient to know the truth of God, and so gladly bring in outside sources of Scripture to teach alongside Scripture.

It never occurs to them that their 'outside help' is giving their own interpretation by outside source, not found in Scripture.

Outside believers look for outside help. Inside believers only seek inside help:

Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you...when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth.

Just lying about what I said - yet again.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It was the Thessalonians who were less noble because they did not accept Paul's teaching. They were Sola Scriptura.

And here is the grand lie. The ones that did not search the Scriptures to confirm Paul's words as true of God, are Sola Scriptura.

Which is based upon another lie contrary to Scripture:

But you cannot teach the Birth, Life, Death and Resurrection of Jesus from the OT. Paul preached new teaching they had no heard before.

And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures, Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ. (Acts 17)

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. (Luke 24)

Which is why that lie leads the same type to another lie: You can believe in God without knowing any scripture.

Once again Paul did not preach to Gentiles from Scripture. They did not know any. But they could still come to believe in Jesus from Paul's preaching.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've given many examples (see post #211) which you have failed to address.

I simply reject the reading of them, and you reject my reasoning in turn.

Impasse.

There is no agreement about Scripture between one who reads Scripture only as truth of God, and one who looks to outside help from outside sources to read alongside Scripture.

Which of course is why one is giving lip service to Scripture and the other is not.

I wonder which one? The one who declares Scripture to be the only authority of God's Word, or the one that does not.

I give you reasons why I reject your interpretations.
You do not. You just ignore them.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

And so this individual believes he has no promise of Holy Spirit from Jesus to guide him.

But the doctrine that every Christian is led into all truth by the Holy Spirit is not Scripturally confirmed.

Another misinterpretation of Scripture.
Jesus was speaking to his Apostles, the leaders of his Church, not to every disciple.

[/QUOTE]

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another misinterpretation of Scripture. Jesus was speaking to his Apostles, the leaders of his Church, not to every disciple.
[/QUOTE]
And especially not to you.

How is it, that someone who claims to have no true understanding of Scripture, by the Spirit of truth dwelling in them, then go on to presume to know the difference between true and false interpretation of Scripture?

Which of course proves the whole folly of taking someone serious about their reading of Scripture, when they themselves declare they have no personal understanding nor finding of Scriptural truth themselves, except what they are told to think by other 'outside helpers'.

I.e. they only give learned mantra of others.

Sola Scriptura: Having the right of being born of the Spirit of truth and of the incorruptible Word of God, to read the Scriptures of truth and understand their meaning, without the 'help' of so-called Sacred leaders, that say you can't.

Which begs the question, who told them they could do so for themselves and then for others as well?

Well, they did. Right.

Those that reject the right of Sola Scriptura for themselves, willingly become blind followers of blind guides to their own destruction.

They reject being born of the Spirit of God and of truth, and have no right of God to rightly divide the Word of truth and to discern both good and evil: the have no right to eat of the tree of Life in the midst of the paradise of God. (Rev 2:7, 22:14)

Not born again of the Spirit of truth and of the Word of God: Not saved.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And especially not to you.

How is it, that someone who claims to have no true understanding of Scripture, by the Spirit of truth dwelling in them, then go on to presume to know the difference between true and false interpretation of Scripture?

Which of course proves the whole folly of taking someone serious about their reading of Scripture, when they themselves declare they have no personal understanding nor finding of Scriptural truth themselves, except what they are told to think by other 'outside helpers'.

I.e. they only give learned mantra of others.

Sola Scriptura: Having the right of being born of the Spirit of truth and of the incorruptible Word of God, to read the Scriptures of truth and understand their meaning, without the 'help' of so-called Sacred leaders, that say you can't.

Which begs the question, who told them they could do so for themselves and then for others as well?

Well, they did. Right.

Those that reject the right of Sola Scriptura for themselves, willingly become blind followers of blind guides to their own destruction.

They reject being born of the Spirit of God and of truth, and have no right of God to rightly divide the Word of truth and to discern both good and evil: the have no right to eat of the tree of Life in the midst of the paradise of God. (Rev 2:7, 22:14)

Not born again of the Spirit of truth and of the Word of God: Not saved.

More lies by you.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This truly could be so much easier if folks would go to the actual source who inspired the bible and into the bible to learn that truth .
When it comes to anything our pattern ought to mirror that pattern . For corrections , for warnings , for hope , for promises .
The problem is many are being programmed by men of today who have long been teaching things from their own intellectual carnal mind .
IF we take off from doing anything that was originally taught then expect failure and leaven to rise up and fill the place .
We should honestly look at the requirements that paul wrote to a few churches , about how any leader ought to be
as well as the flock itself . I notice the requirements happen to include being grave , serious , correcting error .
How many teachers today have one grave bone in their body . Most just teach a sensual mindset that has ceased
from the original pattern that was taught first by JESUS and then later by the apostels . They have abandoned
the very pattern that Christ set and later the apostels set . IF we take off from that pattern we reap destruction
unto ourselves and unto all who would do so . Most folks can agree that JESUS was the WORD of GOD in flesh .
But they sure dont treat Him as though His every WORD is of GOD . Many can say they agree with paul and other apostels ,
Yet often contradict those who simply bring THEIR reminders . This is not a good thing at all .
It would be so much simplier and confusion would fly away , IF WE would return to bible reading for ourselves and learn that pattern well .

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is always one simple Scripture that concludes every argument about Scripture and the things of God, and it usually the most obvious and plain of all:

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book.

Adding any oral and/or written tradition to 'accompany' Scripture for the doctrine and gospel of Christ, is adding to the words of God written in His book of prophecy and instruction in His righteousness, the Bible.

End of story.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is always one simple Scripture that concludes every argument about Scripture and the things of God, and it usually the most obvious and plain of all:

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book.

Adding any oral and/or written tradition to 'accompany' Scripture for the doctrine and gospel of Christ, is adding to the words of God written in His book of prophecy and instruction in His righteousness, the Bible.

End of story.

No it's not end of story because you rip pieces of Scripture out of conetext to make them appear to say what they don't.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it's not end of story because you rip pieces of Scripture out of conetext to make them appear to say what they don't.
Adding any oral or written word, tradition, or doctrine to 'accompany' Scripture, that is not of Scripture, is adding to the Scriptures one's own imaginations: adding to the words of God one's own mind and will. Which is to preach another gospel of one's own making, that is accursed.

When confronted with undeniable Scripture, one must either repent and change according to the Scripture, or reject Scripture of truth in order to believe a lie:

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth.

You are now in strong delusion.

As well as having rejected the Scripture of promise to all believers to have the Spirit of truth dwelling within you, that you may indeed be guided into all truth of all Scripture of God.

You reject both the Spirit and the Scriptures.

The story of the debate is now over. All that remains is the end of your story, whether you repent and believe Scripture only, that you might be born of His Spirit of truth, or continue in your strong delusion.

It's up to you.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Adding any oral or written word, tradition, or doctrine to 'accompany' Scripture, that is not of Scripture, is adding to the Scriptures one's own imaginations: adding to the words of God one's own mind and will. Which is to preach another gospel of one's own making, that is accursed.

When confronted with undeniable Scripture, one must either repent and change according to the Scripture, or reject Scripture of truth in order to believe a lie:

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth.

You are now in strong delusion.

As well as having rejected the Scripture of promise to all believers to have the Spirit of truth dwelling within you, that you may indeed be guided into all truth of all Scripture of God.

You reject both the Spirit and the Scriptures.

The story of the debate is now over. All that remains is the end of your story, whether you repent and believe Scripture only, that you might be born of His Spirit of truth, or continue in your strong delusion.

It's up to you.

More lies from you.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. (John 5:39)

We search the Scriptures to have eternal life.

It is the Scriptures that speak and testify of Jesus.

Not: Search the Scriptures and the Sacred traditions...that accompany the Scriptures and add to the words of God.

In Sacred traditions people only think they have eternal life, which is why Jesus told them to leave their own traditions and go to the Scriptures, that they may have eternal life.

And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

If we don't search the Scriptures, we do not come to Jesus,. They that search their Sacred traditions do not come to Jesus Christ, but to another christ.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth. (Dan 10)

There is only Scripture of truth. No accompanying Sacred tradition of truth.

Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. (Matthew 22)

Only by knowing the Scriptures do we not err into false traditions and doctrines of men.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8)

Only the Scriptures speak and testify of Jesus and His Word. (John 5:39)

Them that do not continue in the Scriptures, do not continue in His Word.

The wicked have laid a snare for me: yet I erred not from thy precepts. (Ps 119)

God's precepts are only found written in His scriptures.

But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; Who concerning the truth have erred. (2 Tim 2)

Vain babblings are Sacred traditions of men.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Error comes by not knowing the Scriptures, especially when holding to traditions not known by the Scriptures.

The power of God is only in the Scriptures of God. The authority of the dragon is in the traditions of men.