Sola Scriptura - does this foundation make you a heretic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If the bible is dead, why do you quote from it?
Because it has truth in it, but you wont get that from reading it. It comes from God, you know that revelation thing.

Life is in His words that He speaks, and when you hear, they impart life to the Spirit given to those who believe, that is why He is teh bread of life and not teh bible.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sola Scriptura (Lat., ‘by scripture alone’). The belief that the truths of Christian faith and practice can and must be established from scripture alone, without additions from, e.g., tradition or development.

Sola Scriptura was/is a founding principle for protestant Christians and is found as a principle in scripture itself;
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

If someone such as myself were to say that my understandings for God, Christ and salvation are entirely founded on "Sola Scriptura" does this mean that in other peoples views I could be considered a heretic?
Hi KBCid,

Who's "truths of Christian faith and practice" that were found from "scripture alone" do I follow?

Angelican's? Baptist? Calvinist? Catholic? KBCid? Orthodox? Pentecost?

They all have different "truths" they "established from scripture alone".

Mary

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi KBCid,

Who's "truths of Christian faith and practice" that were found from "scripture alone" do I follow?

Angelican's? Baptist? Calvinist? Catholic? KBCid? Orthodox? Pentecost?

They all have different "truths" they "established from scripture alone".

Mary
Not till the reformation.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
WHO gets to decide what is outside of scripture?
Who gets to decide if one is adding to or subtracting from?
Who gets to decide WHO is taking what out of context?
Jesus God and the Holy Spirit, for they are all in agreement, so can you answer the question, If God disagrees with the bible, whos wrong God or the bible???

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Jesus God and the Holy Spirit, for they are all in agreement, so can you answer the question, If God disagrees with the bible, whos wrong God or the bible???
Same difference.

YOU said there are 44,000 denominations.
Why?
If God tells everybody the same truth?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
BTW,
Tell me one or two places where God disagrees with the bible.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Romans 10
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Reading is not hearing.

2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Who is the truth,

I am teh way the truth and the Life, who is??? Jesus. Many have studied all there lives and never come into the truth.

A vessel already filled cannot be filled unless it is emptied first. Who is wiling to be emptied???

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your god is wrong.
You remind me of an assassin, runs into the crowd, finds his target, fires off a few parting shots, than runs waiting to see if He hit anything.You rejected Jesus ages ago, i dont understand why you are here..

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHO gets to decide what is outside of scripture?
Who gets to decide if one is adding to or subtracting from?
Who gets to decide WHO is taking what out of context?

not the magisterium of the catholic church that's for sure. and why does any one get to decide what you ask here? there's no need for it. though yes it has happened in Christian history. but if you can get a KJV you can get the Jerusalem bible that has all the documentation, and is considered accurate even in catholic circles, or you can get a stones or any other Jewish document related to scripture heck you can get them all online now. so any errors do to human intervention has been eliminated hasn't it?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You remind me of an assassin, runs into the crowd, finds his target, fires off a few parting shots, than runs waiting to see if He hit anything.You rejected Jesus ages ago, i dont understand why you are here..

You asked a question, I answered. I simply reject the Jesus you proclaim. You've made it clear who your Jesus is. I will not respond to your posts any longer if you would like that.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
not the magisterium of the catholic church that's for sure. and why does any one get to decide what you ask here? there's no need for it. though yes it has happened in Christian history. but if you can get a KJV you can get the Jerusalem bible that has all the documentation, and is considered accurate even in catholic circles, or you can get a stones or any other Jewish document related to scripture heck you can get them all online now. so any errors do to human intervention has been eliminated hasn't it?
I don't understand your reply too well.
At least all Catholics believe the same doctrine.
Well, that's not true either, but their schisms are nothing compared to the Protestant schisms.

My point is that it's sad that there IS NOT someone to teach the bible to all. As the Orthodox, for instance.

A prominant protestant switched to Orthodoxy a few months ago because he couldn't stand all the disagreeing.
All the people who say the get taught by the Holy Spirit and then argue with another person who says they get taught by the Holy Spirit.
There's only ONE Holy Spirit...Why does He teach two different persons two different doctrine??

The point is that it IS a problem when we can each of us come up with our own doctrine, our own understanding of a word in the bible that is very important to understand.

It takes PhD's in biblical studies years to get their initials.
It should make us pause.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand your reply too well.
At least all Catholics believe the same doctrine.
Well, that's not true either, but their schisms are nothing compared to the Protestant schisms.

My point is that it's sad that there IS NOT someone to teach the bible to all. As the Orthodox, for instance.

A prominant protestant switched to Orthodoxy a few months ago because he couldn't stand all the disagreeing.
All the people who say the get taught by the Holy Spirit and then argue with another person who says they get taught by the Holy Spirit.
There's only ONE Holy Spirit...Why does He teach two different persons two different doctrine??

The point is that it IS a problem when we can each of us come up with our own doctrine, our own understanding of a word in the bible that is very important to understand.

It takes PhD's in biblical studies years to get their initials.
It should make us pause.

Yes, pause, and listen..
The person who is truly led by the Holy Spirit will not argue with another person who claims to be led by the Holy Spirit.
He will move on.
The one who continues to argue is not led by the Holy Spirit.
If both people continue to argue, then neither are led by the Holy Spirit.[/QUOTE]

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Yes, pause, and listen..
The person who is truly led by the Holy Spirit will not argue with another person who claims to be led by the Holy Spirit.
He will move on.
The one who continues to argue is not led by the Holy Spirit.
If both people continue to argue, then neither are led by the Holy Spirit.
[/QUOTE]
I understand and most times I state what I believe and move on.

Works vs faith is an exception because many are mislead today and this idea is being passed on. It's a new idea and has nothing to do with Christianity.

We're required to have both, not choose between the two.

Reactions: Rollo Tamasi

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Works vs faith is an exception because many are mislead today and this idea is being passed on. It's a new idea and has nothing to do with Christianity.

We're required to have both, not choose between the two.[/QUOTE]
I don't believe that word "required" is used in the Bible to define what you say here.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

We're required to have both, not choose between the two.
I don't believe that word "required" is used in the Bible to define what you say here.[/QUOTE]
We are required to have faith.
And we are required to do good deeds.

Ephesians 2:8 tells us that we are saved by grace through our faith in Jesus.

There are many verses that tell us we are to do good deeds.
Mathew 25: visit the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the poor, etc.

If Jesus tells us to do these things, they are not requests, they are requirements.

Reactions: KBCid

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe that word "required" is used in the Bible to define what you say here.
We are required to have faith.
And we are required to do good deeds.

Ephesians 2:8 tells us that we are saved by grace through our faith in Jesus.

There are many verses that tell us we are to do good deeds.
Mathew 25: visit the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the poor, etc.

If Jesus tells us to do these things, they are not requests, they are requirements.[/QUOTE]
And Jesus gives us the strength and the desire to do them.
And Jesus gives us the faith to believe.
If it's required, it's because he gave it to us for free first.
Even then it's not required.
Jesus tells us not to sin but we still sin, don't we?