Sola Scriptura - does this foundation make you a heretic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
I don't believe that word "required" is used in the Bible to define what you say here.
We are required to have faith.
And we are required to do good deeds.

Ephesians 2:8 tells us that we are saved by grace through our faith in Jesus.

There are many verses that tell us we are to do good deeds.
Mathew 25: visit the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the poor, etc.

If Jesus tells us to do these things, they are not requests, they are requirements.[/QUOTE]

have a close look at Titus Ch.3 - good works is mentioned four times - coming from Paul this needs accepting - I do believe good works are not wasted even in Hell the heat and flames will be turned up or down - twinc

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are required to have faith.
And we are required to do good deeds.

Ephesians 2:8 tells us that we are saved by grace through our faith in Jesus.

There are many verses that tell us we are to do good deeds.
Mathew 25: visit the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the poor, etc.

If Jesus tells us to do these things, they are not requests, they are requirements.

have a close look at Titus Ch.3 - good works is mentioned four times - coming from Paul this needs accepting - I do believe good works are not wasted even in Hell the heat and flames will be turned up or down - twinc[/QUOTE]
yes sir, I could never disagree with you.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
And Jesus gives us the strength and the desire to do them.
And Jesus gives us the faith to believe.
If it's required, it's because he gave it to us for free first.
Even then it's not required.
Jesus tells us not to sin but we still sin, don't we?

Yes. We still sin.
But I've never understood what sin has to do with this conversation of God requiring us to have faith and do good deeds.

Salvation, faith, is free.
There is no cost. It's wholly a work of God.
We could not save ourselves.

Ephesians 2:8
But go down to Ephesians 2:10
We are created in Christ Jesus for GOOD WORKS.

Jesus tells us that if we love Him we will keep His commandments.

When God speaks, it is a command, not a request.

John 12:47-48
Jesus says that if anyone hears His sayings and does not keep them, they will have someone who judges them. The WORD He speaks will judge the person on the last day. The FATHER who has sent Jesus is the last word.

Jesus is following God's commandments...
John 12:49

Just as we are to follow them.

Reactions: KBCid

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You think those who study don't know God??

No comment...
It's wasted words.
Scripture is replete with examples of these; termed "strong men" or "wolves," etc. Obviously there is a lot to be gained by assuming the imprimatur of God, and Scriptural dialectic may also be used to deceive, right?

Reactions: GodsGrace

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture is replete with examples of these; termed "strong men" or "wolves," etc. Obviously there is a lot to be gained by assuming the imprimatur of God, and Scriptural dialectic may also be used to deceive, right?
WOW!
Those are big words.
You must be a genius!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Some scripture is SO PLAIN and yet it's changed to mean something different.

I think what some do is make up their doctrine and then come to the bible and make the bible fit the doctrine.

It's supposed to be the other way around...

Reactions: Job and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
WOW!
Those are big words.
You must be a genius!
ha, more like prolly just compensating for a lack of self-esteem or something, dunno? The biggest word up there is "obviously," so all i can tell you is that i really try to resist that, but it creeps back in whenever i'm in a hurry i guess, lol. Imprimatur? Is there a more common word for that? Stamp doesn't seem to quite fit, and it takes a sentence to relate the same concept to me.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Some scripture is SO PLAIN and yet it's changed to mean something different.

I think what some do is make up their doctrine and then come to the bible and make the bible fit the doctrine.

It's supposed to be the other way around...
i think there is even a Catholic doctrine for this? Dunno what it is called, the one that goes "it's just easier to sin and then ask for forgiveness later." So, a doctrine against that, or whatever

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
i think there is even a Catholic doctrine for this? Dunno what it is called, the one that goes "it's just easier to sin and then ask for forgiveness later." So, a doctrine against that, or whatever
Is it this one:
It's easier to ask for forgiveness
than to ask for permission...

But it's not a catholic thing.
At least I don't think so.
I've heard many an atheist say this !

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha, more like prolly just compensating for a lack of self-esteem or something, dunno? The biggest word up there is "obviously," so all i can tell you is that i really try to resist that, but it creeps back in whenever i'm in a hurry i guess, lol. Imprimatur? Is there a more common word for that? Stamp doesn't seem to quite fit, and it takes a sentence to relate the same concept to me.
I never heard of scriptural dialect before.
What's dat?

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
here, repeat this Latin phrase after me, and you'll be a full fledged catholic.
"Dominus nabisco, et cum spery, 2-2-0"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Is it this one:
It's easier to ask for forgiveness
than to ask for permission...

But it's not a catholic thing.
At least I don't think so.
I've heard many an atheist say this !
ha ya, that one. And of course we all do this i guess. Well, the "let's make a doctrine" crowd just have a better idea, see; "it's easier to strong-arm a doctrine in that fits our purposes, that way we don't have to apologize at all."

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha ya, that one. And of course we all do this i guess. Well, the "let's make a doctrine" crowd just have a better idea, see; "it's easier to strong-arm a doctrine in that fits our purposes, that way we don't have to apologize at all."
but isn't that why we have apologetics?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I never heard of scriptural dialect before.
What's dat?
for that i would direct you to this Logical and Dialectical Reasoning in Scripture
and i also ran across this on-site, Search Results | Christian Forums @ Christianity Board

which should prolly also be considered, as the only thing separating the two concepts is intent, near as i can tell.

the condensed version is that the authors of Scripture thought and wrote like Easterners, and we read like Westerners, essentially, and this is argument is taken up by Scripture at many points, using different terms though. "See and not see," etc

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
for that i would direct you to this Logical and Dialectical Reasoning in Scripture
and i also ran across this on-site, Search Results | Christian Forums @ Christianity Board

which should prolly also be considered, as the only thing separating the two concepts is intent, near as i can tell.

the condensed version is that the authors of Scripture thought and wrote like Easterners, and we read like Westerners, essentially, and this is argument is taken up by Scripture at many points, using different terms though. "See and not see," etc
WOW!
Such insight!
You're a genius!