Sola Scriptura - does this foundation make you a heretic

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
i can't help but read into this that Christ is thanking God for the same things you are calling a problem though
You missed it all, do you know who the wise are, teh ones who study heaps and have all the answers, teh base are the ones who are not learned and who God uses because they have nothing to gain, and have nothing to boast of, which is why Saul had such a great fall,

Counted it all as"some bibles put as "dung", to knowing Christ crucified which he could only learn by teh Spirit he had no book.

the only vessels i recall are at the wedding feast parable, and it seems that they did not need to be emptied, not to confuse parables or mix metaphors here, but you would have to quote what passage you mean there i guess

You are a vessel, you can be filled with Love or hate, truth or lie, you can be a vessel to carry His Spirit or you can reject it, you can be filled with yourself or be filed with Him, your choosing not His.

Reactions: Rollo Tamasi

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's saying about an eye for an eye.
You have heard it said.......
But I say to you...

This is based on Exodus 21:12-36;
This talks about personal injuries, starts with monetary payments and ends with monetary payments.
In the middle we see an eye for an eye.
This has to be considered figurative with a monetary payment applied.
Why?
Because no where in Jewish history is there any record that the Jews ever took this literally and actually took an eye for an eye.
Famous Jewish Rabbis discuss this in the Talmud with several explanations.

Then when we look at Matthew 5:38-42;, we see Jesus telling us not to seek an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth.
What does Jesus then say?
He says to give, give, give, and give more than what anyone asks for.
Why is giving part of an eye for an eye passage?
Because it was always about giving to pay for damages.
Jesus is saying give, no matter what the situation.

Reactions: GodsGrace

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You missed it all
so you say, but i notice that you did not really address my post
You are a vessel, you can be filled with Love or hate, truth or lie, you can be a vessel to carry His Spirit or you can reject it, you can be filled with yourself or be filed with Him, your choosing not His.
again, i might agree, but you have not really addressed my post wadr

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really think you can figure God out from reading a book??

John 14
25 “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you.
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They couldnt fit all Jesus did and said in the bible, how on earth do you think you can fit all of Gods wisdom and knowledge in it.

Proverbs 1
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
But fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 9
10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

John 16
12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.

Reactions: Dcopymope

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your shouting Job, oh yes the spirit of truth, dont see any bible mentioned. And guess what teh spirit of truth does, He leads you into teh truth, some of which happens to be in teh bible. Still teh best you can do by reading teh bible is know about God.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your shouting Job, oh yes the spirit of truth, dont see any bible mentioned. And guess what teh spirit of truth does, He leads you into teh truth, some of which happens to be in teh bible. Still teh best you can do by reading teh bible is know about God.

Prove it. Show me a truth that was revealed to you from God Himself. A truth that isn't in the scriptures.

Are you able to do that or are you just blowing smoke?

Reactions: GodsGrace

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Prove it. Show me a truth that was revealed to you from God Himself. A truth that isn't in the scriptures.

Are you able to do that or are you just blowing smoke?

You really dont get it do you stranger. Tell me God who is He. In the OT He killed little children, murdered mothers fathers and any one else who stood in His way. In the NT Jesus came to show the father, all He did was love, even when teh soldiers came to arrest Him, He told teh disciple to put away the swords and healed the ear of teh servant. So is God love or not teh OT says other wise, some even make teh bold statement that from the OT He is evil as well, so which is He.?? Even David God would not allow Him to build His temple because he had blood on His hands, rather funny thing for God to do when it was supposedly God setting men out to kill people . So what is teh truth.

The thing that irritates you as that I cannot and will not accept teh bible is teh word of God, because His words are life and teh bible has no life, it only points you to teh one who is life. At least Gods grace answered my question, seems teh bible is no idol in her life.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing that irritates you as that I cannot and will not accept teh bible is teh word of God,

There's actually nothing about you that irritates me. You're just a lost soul looking for a home. You dance up a storm but when it's time to pay the piper, your pockets are empty.

So sad...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009 @mjrhealth
mjrhealth said: The problem is men study the bible, form an opinion, go to church, get another mans opinion, watch videos listen to tapes and form more opinions, than when God tries to teach them, they have already decided what is truth and than reject His truth, because He teaches it differently which is why we get revelation from God and not man nor studying.
bbyrd009 said: you characterize this as a problem, when it is actually also a solution though

"And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice." I Kings 19:11-12

This time with Elijah God did not speak to the man through the wind or the earthquake or the fire, but in the "still small voice". That is to say, he did not use the Bible or the opinion's of men or videos or tapes... but is God so limited that He can speak to us ONLY in a still small voice. Could He not and has He not also spoken to men through the wind [the Bible], the earthquake [the opinions of men], and the fire [the videos & tapes] as well when it pleased or pleases Him to do so?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@FHII ( = in blue) Post # 30

Sorry FHII....it's been a long day at work...and I fell asleep on the couch when I got home!! I did not forget your post! :)
I hope I still have some brain cells left to respond

A word by conventional definition is not a person. A name or a title or a metaphor? Perhaps. Likewise, God is love. A feeling, attribute or emotion is not a person. A spirit, perhaps.

Okay, if this be so, then why did God speak of Himself by so many names?
Elohim (God)
Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah)
El Elyon (The Most High God)
El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty)
Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
Jehovah Rapha (The Lord Who Heals You)...... and many more...

The name reveals the nature...and He was showing us a more of who He is.

I know that we have had so many trinity threads...y a w n... I believe that if the bible says that Jesus is The Word. Then He IS. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." He is the expression and refection of God Himself.

Let me demonstrate something: do you know me bygrace? If so, how? You know me by what I type... Or... My words.

Other people know me as a 5'8" thin white male of 50ish. But thats all they know about me. You probably didn't kbow my physical looks but you know me much deeper. Why? We have fellowshipped on this board. I wrote some words to you.

If you were there when Jesus said, "eat my flesh and drink my blood" or "the first great commandment is..." or, "Lo I am with you alway..." would you ignore what he said and just look at him and say that is the Word? Or would you take the words of the Word to heart?

Obviously so.

Even if Jesus came looking like Brad Pitt or Dwayne Johnson... He still came looking like a man. He didn't come looking like a God. It was what he said that set him apart (and what he did... Which often was by him speaking.... He didn't do a dance to cast out demons... He spoke words). Now he was led to slaughter and didn't speak... True...

Agree

Today, we have the Bible. The very words God spoke. The difference Jesus made was by his speaking. His death was important, but he even spoke during that. But his life... The time he lived... Was just as important.

The Bible is the record of what he said. It is his word and he is defined by what he said. The Bible IS the Word because it tells us what he said and did. It isn't the Old Testament or the New Testament. It is HIS testament.

I agree..the bible IS the Word...the written word...but the bible itself is not - "Jesus, The word."
Jesus isn't sitting on my table in the shape of my bible!!

If you and others can't see the difference between the written word of God and the Living Word of God...then I can't make it happen for you. :)

As I have said before...I love my bibles..all of them. But I also used to love getting love -letters from my husband before we were married. I could reads his words over and over....BUT, that was not a very satisfying relationship!!
I was much more invested in the times that he were right there , and he was actually with me....speaking to me! I did not ever say..."excuse me, I want to read your last love letter right now."
I have also said..."I know people who quite happily have a relationship with their bibles...but , at the expense of spending quality time with God." ( maybe it is just easier for them, )

Obviously, as this topic goes around and around so regularly , and with many threads. It seems that some will always believe one way, and some the other.
I have no problem with that...it doesn't change the foundation of our salvation.

Maybe it depends on our early formative years as a young Christian. I am glad that those who mentored me, taught me how to get up early 'while the dew was still on the manna'...and spend time before God....back in those days, the 60's ,it was called...'waiting in the presence of God'...not in prayer, not even in worship ..but just being there , in His presence.

Wow... I am tired! Hope that made sense.

Bless you brother, and thank you for taking the time. Good chatting... :)
Every blessing....Helen.

Reactions: FHII

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There's actually nothing about you that irritates me. You're just a lost soul looking for a home. You dance up a storm but when it's time to pay the piper, your pockets are empty.

So sad...
Just remember I am not teh one doing teh shouting. Is it God doing that so many prefer the dead letter to teh living Word, God gave us His best, teh Best wine He saved till last, yet so many prefer teh old. Nah no sadness here. i learned a long time ago, that even when Jesus went to those whom He loved they rejected Him, Saul wit hall His learning didnt know Jesus, and was Killing the Lords children. People choose, so it matters not to me. You can have the Truth that is in Christ or you can have the bible. Untill a man comes to teh conclusion that he knows nothing, than God cannot teach them. A vessel filled needs emptying, more of Him less of us it is the only way, there is no other.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This time with Elijah God did not speak to the man through the wind or the earthquake or the fire, but in the "still small voice". That is to say, he did not use the Bible or the opinion's of men or videos or tapes... but is God so limited that He can speak to us ONLY in a still small voice. Could He not and has He not also spoken to men through the wind [the Bible], the earthquake [the opinions of men], and the fire [the videos & tapes] as well when it pleased or pleases Him to do so?

Amen...well said....
...and, by the way the font you used in post makes it so much more easier to read. :)

Reactions: Job