Sola scriptura?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem in this thread is you can not seperate the five solas.

No man is justified by “faith alone” apart from baptism!

A sacrament is an outward sign for all men including infants And a gift from God to help us see what he does inwardly and invisibly by his grace!

As grace Washes our souls in the merits of Jesus blood from original and personal sin, so the outward action of washing is visible!

without the outward action the inward action cannot take place!

Jn 3:5 Titus 3:5 water and washing
acts 22:16 wash away your sin!

Jn 3:5 Born again BY water and the spirit! Not by “faith alone”!

They did not go to Jerusalem and preach “accept Christ as you’re personal Lord and savior “

They went to the river (water) and they baptized! Jn 3:22

A covenant requires an outward sign of the inward action of grace!

Ez 36:25 I will sprinkle you with clean water and you shall be made white as snow.

Acts 22:16 washing away your sins.

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 pet 3:21 baptism saves you.

You cannot enter on you’re own or by faith alone!

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Baptism!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 eph 2

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Christ instituted the holy church for the salvation of all men, (repent and believe the gospel, with the institution of the sacraments to convey grace to sanctify souls!

Effects of faith & baptism!

Ez 36:25-27 washed in baptism, with a new heart and the Spirit
Jn 3:5 born again in baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptist
Acts 2:38 repentance & baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
Acts 22:16 baptism washes away sin
Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ
1 cor 12:13 baptized into the church
Gal 3:27 by baptism put on Christ
2 Tim 1:10 brought to life
2 cor 5:17 new creation
Eph 1:13 sealed by the Holy Spirit
Eph 2:1&5 brought to life in baptism
Eph 4:5 one baptism
Eph 5:26 faith and baptism
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration
1 pet 1:2 washed in Christ’s blood
1 pet 2:9 and not the kingdom of light
1 pet 3:20-21 baptism saves us!

“Faith alone” accomplishes nothing!
1 cor 13:2 even all faith (alone) without charity avails NOTHING!!!

Faith and baptism!

Scripture says none of the things about “Faith alone”!

2 Peter 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!

“Faith alone”

Questions

where does scripture says we have died with Christ by “faith alone”?

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

where does scripture say we are members of Christ and his church by “faith alone”?

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

where does scripture says we put on Christ by “faith alone”?

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Where does scripture say our sins are washed away by “faith alone”?

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

where does scripture say we are saved or justified by “faith alone”?

1 pet 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!

The only reference in scripture to “faith alone” is James 2:24 NOT BY “FAITH ALONE”?

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

How can you enter by your own if it must be ministered to you? Baptism is done unto you, “not do it yourself by faith alone”

Jn 3:5 born again by faith alone?

Where is “Accept Christ as your personal lord & savior” is found in scripture?

They did not go preaching this line but went immediately to the river and baptized Jn 3:22

Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Eph 4:5 one baptism

Why don’t it say one teeny tiny little act of “faith alone”???

When we first believed we are saved?

Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

How can salvation be nearer than when we first believed if you’re saved by believing?

1 pet 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Matt 24:13 endures to the end Shall be saved.

How can salvation happen when we first believed if it’s the end?

If salvation is by “faith alone” then faith would be the greatest!
1 cor 13:13 charity is the greatest!

Even all faith much less “faith alone” without charity avails nothing!
1 cor 13:2

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The other sheep are the gentiles who will believe .
And other sheep i have which are not of this fold . JESUS was sent to the lost sheep of Israel .
Later to be preached also to the gentiles where there is now one fold that consists both of believing jews and believing gentiles .
ONE FOLD , ONE HEAD which is JESUS . Now lift those hands up and let the glorious LORD be praised .
And that one true fold WILL NEVER SIT UNDER THE RCC . PEROID . That is a fact . The true fold
will expose the RCC and any other who preaches falsehoods and call to those who sit under those falsehoods
TO COME YE OUT FROM AMONGST THEM . WE GONNA POINT TO CHRIST . THE RCC KNOWS HIM NOT . And that is a fact .
And yet – you STILL have never been able to tell me why YOU adhere to the Catholic Tradition of the New Testament if the Catholic Church is as “evil” as you say it is.

WHY is that?
WHY can’t you tell be the reason you follow this Catholic Tradition as your “SOLE” Authority??

Care to elaborate on that?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No wonder Councils of Catholic men are so Against Scripture. It glaringly reveals their Fraud..
This is a perfect example of a perfectly stupid anti-Catholic claim that cannot be substantiated. NOT surprised your clueless minion gave it a "Like" . . .

Care to give it a shot, anyway, Einstein?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a perfect example of a perfectly stupid anti-Catholic claim that cannot be substantiated. NOT surprised your clueless minion gave it a "Like" . . .

Care to give it a shot, anyway, Einstein?

Hey YOU Opened the door...I simply let the door swing back at ya.

* If you can say, people who disagree with Catholic’s in any fashion...ARE anti-Catholic;
By the same token...
* I can say Catholics who teach against ... sola scriptra, or the Bible in any fashion...ARE Anti-Scripture.

You don’t like it?
Stop pretending you control which way the door swings.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet – you STILL have never been able to tell me why YOU adhere to the Catholic Tradition of the New Testament if the Catholic Church is as “evil” as you say it is.

WHY is that?
WHY can’t you tell be the reason you follow this Catholic Tradition as your “SOLE” Authority??

Adhere to Catholic Tradition?
Follow this Catholic Tradition?

What “Catholic Tradition” is “this” Catholic Tradition you are talking about, without identifying “it”?

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not going to keep up. Could someone give a basic summary of the different positions please, thanks daniel

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

WHY is that?

cause even a broke clock is right twice a day . I never said the CC teaches all lies .
I learned from reading the bible . Even the false prosperity gospel preachers get some things right
but it sure dont mean i follow them . Just cause the CC has some things right dont mean IT IS right .
Even mormons taught and teach some truths , but it sure dont mean i follow them .
No false teacher teaches all lies . They preach some truths as well as their lies .
That is the way its always worked . Even muslims can teach some truths , BUT it dont mean i follow them .
See the point yet . OF course the CC teaches some truths , they all do , but it dont mean they KNOW THE TRUTH .
Like i said even a broke clock is right twice a day , but rest assured that dont mean i am gonna trust it nor rely on it .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I forgot the protestant Hudson Taylor was figment of every ones imagination.
I guess so my friend cause i aint ever even heard of that name . All i know is dont follow the RCC and always test
all who do teach against bible doctrine . Now hands up , CAUSE ITS LORD PRAISING TIME IN THE HOUSE .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey YOU Opened the door...I simply let the door swing back at ya.

* If you can say, people who disagree with Catholic’s in any fashion...ARE anti-Catholic;
By the same token...
* I can say Catholics who teach against ... sola scriptra, or the Bible in any fashion...ARE Anti-Scripture.

You don’t like it?
Stop pretending you control which way the door swings.
I asked you to substantiate your moronic, anti-Catholic statement - and you failed.
Here is what YOU said:
"No wonder Councils of Catholic men are so Against Scripture. It glaringly reveals their Fraud.."

Care to try again?

Reactions: The Learner

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adhere to Catholic Tradition?
Follow this Catholic Tradition?

What “Catholic Tradition” is “this” Catholic Tradition you are talking about, without identifying “it”?
I clarirified that in my FIRST sentence, when I said:
"YOU adhere to the Catholic Tradition of the New Testament".
I think that's pretty clear.

The NT Canon of Scripture is a Ca5thoolic Tradition.
Te Synod of Rome (382) is where the canon was first formally identified – ALL 73 (not 66) Books.
- 11 years after that, it was confirmed at the Synod of Hippo (393).
- 4 years later, at the Council (or Synod) of Carthage (397), it was yet again confirmed. The bishops wrote at the end of their document, "But let Church beyond sea (Rome) be consulted about confirming this canon". There were 44 bishops, including St. Augustine who signed the document.
- 7 years later, in 405, in a letter from Pope Innocent I to Exsuperius, Bishop of Toulouse, he reiterated the canon.
- 14 years after that, at the 2nd Council (Synod) of Carthage (419) the canon was again formally confirmed.

The Canon of Scripture was officially closed at the Council of Trent in the 16th century because of the perversions happening within Protestantism and the random editing and deleting of books from the Canon.

Your Protestant Fathers Luther and Calvin wanted to remove several Books, including the Epistlee of James, Jebres, Jude and Revelation. Had it not been for the urging of their contemporaries, men like Philip Melanchton - YOUR Bible would have been a LOT tinner . . .

Reactions: The Learner

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cause even a broke clock is right twice a day . I never said the CC teaches all lies .
I learned from reading the bible . Even the false prosperity gospel preachers get some things right
but it sure dont mean i follow them . Just cause the CC has some things right dont mean IT IS right .
Even mormons taught and teach some truths , but it sure dont mean i follow them .
No false teacher teaches all lies . They preach some truths as well as their lies .
That is the way its always worked . Even muslims can teach some truths , BUT it dont mean i follow them .
See the point yet . OF course the CC teaches some truths , they all do , but it dont mean they KNOW THE TRUTH .
Like i said even a broke clock is right twice a day , but rest assured that dont mean i am gonna trust it nor rely on it .
This is WEAK.

If it were one little obscure yruth you agreed with - then I probably wouldn't notice.
HOWEVER - YOU have your entire SALVATION on the very Scruipture that YOU cal your "Sole Authority" - and it is a Catholic Tradition. Yoiur sakvation hangs on a Catholic Tradition yet yiu reject the Catholic Church.

This makes you a hypocrite.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked you to substantiate your moronic, anti-Catholic statement - and you failed.
Here is what YOU said:
"No wonder Councils of Catholic men are so Against Scripture. It glaringly reveals their Fraud.."

Care to try again?

No... My response was spot on.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I clarirified that in my FIRST sentence, when I said:
"YOU adhere to the Catholic Tradition of the New Testament".
I think that's pretty clear.

The NT Canon of Scripture is a Ca5thoolic Tradition.
Te Synod of Rome (382) is where the canon was first formally identified – ALL 73 (not 66) Books.
- 11 years after that, it was confirmed at the Synod of Hippo (393).
- 4 years later, at the Council (or Synod) of Carthage (397), it was yet again confirmed. The bishops wrote at the end of their document, "But let Church beyond sea (Rome) be consulted about confirming this canon". There were 44 bishops, including St. Augustine who signed the document.
- 7 years later, in 405, in a letter from Pope Innocent I to Exsuperius, Bishop of Toulouse, he reiterated the canon.
- 14 years after that, at the 2nd Council (Synod) of Carthage (419) the canon was again formally confirmed.

The Canon of Scripture was officially closed at the Council of Trent in the 16th century because of the perversions happening within Protestantism and the random editing and deleting of books from the Canon.

Your Protestant Fathers Luther and Calvin wanted to remove several Books, including the Epistlee of James, Jebres, Jude and Revelation. Had it not been for the urging of their contemporaries, men like Philip Melanchton - YOUR Bible would have been a LOT tinner . . .

LOL...so your Catholic Tradition is deciding what books would be Biblical Canon, and boo hoo, others decided to omit or combine.

And AS IF the “catholic tradition” of the Biblical Canon was not sufficient....the Additional and multiple times revised 900 + page Catholic Catechism book...to add in all the extras, the first teachers of Christ Jesus; the Jews, never taught. What a mess. But it’s your mess and no one is hooting that sounds like a delightful web to jump into.

If that bother’s you, so what, no one cares. The Jews were chosen to hear, teach, repeat, write the True Knowledge About God, About Jesus the Christ...
The Understanding of the Knowledge has always been a blessing of the Lord God Himself to give individuals.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No... My response was spot on.
Nope – I nailed you again for lying.

You can’t substantiate your idiotic and blatantly anti-Catholic claim – so you deflect by becoming “indignant” for my exposing you as just another lying anti-Catholic.

Good job, sparky.
Consider yourself exposed again . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL...so your Catholic Tradition is deciding what books would be Biblical Canon, and boo hoo, others decided to omit or combine.

And AS IF the “catholic tradition” of the Biblical Canon was not sufficient....the Additional and multiple times revised 900 + page Catholic Catechism book...to add in all the extras, the first teachers of Christ Jesus; the Jews, never taught. What a mess. But it’s your mess and no one is hooting that sounds like a delightful web to jump into.

If that bother’s you, so what, no one cares. The Jews were chosen to hear, teach, repeat, write the True Knowledge About God, About Jesus the Christ...
The Understanding of the Knowledge has always been a blessing of the Lord God Himself to give individuals.
And with ALL of your whining about the God-given Authority of the Catechism of the Catholic Church – you have completely evaded the issue:
The fact that ALL Protestants adhere to the Catholic Tradition of the New Testament and stake their very salvation on it as their “SOLE” Authority – yet reject the Catholic Church.

Why can NONE of you give me an explanation for this blatantly hypocritical stance?

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess so my friend cause i aint ever even heard of that name . All i know is dont follow the RCC and always test
all who do teach against bible doctrine . Now hands up , CAUSE ITS LORD PRAISING TIME IN THE HOUSE .

Hudson Taylor was a remarkable man in that he was rejected by every mission society he applied to so he went to China off his own bat and created an uproar by dressing in chinese garb instead of western clothes. He eventually founded the China Inland Mission.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hudson Taylor was a remarkable man in that he was rejected by every mission society he applied to so he went to China off his own bat and created an uproar by dressing in chinese garb instead of western clothes. He eventually founded the China Inland Mission.
I never heard of the man . Did he preach the gospel and was he well plugged into the bible . Did he follow the glorious LORD .
IF SO then PRAISE THE GLORIOUS LORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime