Source or Resource? - Understanding the difference

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This came up on another topic. Seemed to be worth its own topic.

Understanding the difference between the SOURCE and a RESOURCE.
God should be our SOURCE. Everything else is a RESOURCE. (including the Bible)

Source:
- God

Resources:
- The Bible
- Commentaries
- Preachers/teachers
- Other believers
- Unbelievers (listen)

Other resource ideas?

/ @Spyder
I believe you said it very well.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks.
I did not know that about the Geneva translation.
Was it widely distributed among the public?

/
Yes, it was. The Pilgrims came to America with the Geneva Bible. The KJV was not the standard translation until the Queen of England prohibited any more Geneva bibles from being published.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha ha @St. SteVen --- you'll have to spin out another thread from this spun out thread so you can have a discussion on where the resources have come from, in the resource library.

You have the Hebrew texts and the Greek texts-- translated into Latin and then into German (Martin Luther's work) and finally into English (King Henry, Geneva and King James versions).

Yes, the Geneva Bible preceded the King James version by about 50 years, but before the Geneva Bible, there was "the Great Bible" -- which has been all but forgotten. Mary- was Queen of England. This is the Queen that Protestants gave the moniker-- Bloody Mary for her persecution of them. Many of theological scholars fled from her-- to Geneva, Switzerland, where --guess who??? Jean Calvin-- the French theologian had established himself as opposed to the Catholic teachings. This group of scholars translated the Geneva Bible from the original Hebrew and Greek directly (like Tyndale had started to do, prior to being thrown in prison and then executed for it). This Geneva Bible, though it came after the King Henry-- it was preferred by the Reformers-- well? -because it was spicier. It used more forceful language-- more "vigorous." And so this was the Bible that the Puritans -who became Pilgrims took with them on the Mayflower-- as they fled from the tyranny of the Catholic Church.

Incidentally-- Mary I-- Bloody Mary was defending the church from the English Reformation. You see it was her Father's work-- having the Bible translated into English that started all the trouble. As soon as people could read this resource for themselves with their own eyes, and not have to take the Church's word for it..... Reformers stood up and opposed things they found out were simply wrong teachings.

Who was Queen Mary's father? It was King Henry VIII.

Just as the King James version bears the name of it's benefactor, so too the Great Bible-- it was the authorized King Henry version.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha ha @St. SteVen --- you'll have to spin out another thread from this spun out thread so you can have a discussion on where the resources have come from, in the resource library.
Yes, the words are interchangeable, but I think you get the idea.

Thanks for the historical info and the song that I remember from my youth.
I remember my father looking at me in amazement as I sang it, Wondering... ???

"Second verse, same as the first..."

/

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kinda makes me want to talk to a baby, but dangit, they're grown now, lol
Yes, that is one thing that happens when time passes. One grandson is expecting his 2nd child and my youngest granddaughter just moved into her own apartment. My wife and I sit back and watch from a distance now. Even babysitting is in the past tense....

Oh but indeed, out of the mouths of babes
Mt 21:16And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?

Reactions: St. SteVen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes they did, and that's the point we are making I think. I always say don't worship the 'book of God', worship the 'God of the book'. That's the problem I think Steven made initially. We have too many translations being made GOD by people here. Whereas I study lots of translations hoping that the Spirit enlightens the eyes of my heart to get the best picture possible. Just like that last verse I broke down dealing with one word.
God works with us as we walk and work with Him. I read the KJV along with Luther [German] and Valera [Spanish]. Sometimes I will read for a long time or even seek something in particular [study] without seeing anything new, but then suddenly a verse opens up in ways completely new to me. I strive to go to the lowest place in the lowest room [Luke 14:8-11] daily. It can be very helpful to clear me of accumulated debris and sometimes give me something new....
Another verse is really the one that I did my study on decades ago. And it was;

The word “approved” in the Greek refers to being ‘tested’ or assayed 'as to being the real thing'. You are not "approved" just because you give lip service to a 'correct’ doctrinal statement of faith. You are "approved" if ‘what you talk/believe’ manifests, when you are ‘tested’. But if you fail the temptation or test, and compromise in your ‘walk’ you then show yourself to be un-approved. And it matters not one bit if what you 'say you believe' is true or not. On the day of judgement, you will not be judged for your TALK, but for your WALK.
Good!

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard a testimony one time from some type of Christian Missionary and they were going to meet some tribe that had never been visited by missionaries before. It was on some island somewhere. And he said when they got there they were greeted and welcomed and they took them and fed them and then they began to share the gospel nessage with them.

And the tribesman began speaking up and interjecting thoughts and responses but they acted like they have heard this before. They knew Jesus! To his knowledge they were the first to ever come to the Island with bibles and the gospel message. So he asked the tribesman where did you learn these things? And the tribesman said, from the teacher who comes. And then they described a divine robed figure that has been coming to their camp and teaching them about God.

I thought that was an awesome testimony and it does sound like something the Lord would do for them. If it was Jesus or an Angel which came to them, I don't know. But Jesus knows His own timetable so He maybe wanted to help out save His people and some time. Time is short right now!
Give God the glory!

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It looks like you are promoting eastern mysticism with that website. Well, more than promoting...
Sessions at $150.00 each? (guided imagery meditation?) I suppose. Quotes from the Maharishi?
Most Christians on here would object, I suppose. I don't mind, but be careful.
That isn’t what it looks like nor what it is, that’s an interpretation. There is no promoting. The question was asked, that is the answer.

There are also two free group zoom calls on the last weekend of every month. What’s offered is perfectly in line with the teachings of Jesus. It’s even mention in the guidelines which every member must click that they agree with to be able to participate:

“As taught by Jesus:
Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself.
Forgive others. Accept & allow forgiveness for yourself.
Lean not on your understanding, but on Truth-God-Love.
Proper use of thought and speech is not to condemn, embarrass, isolate, exclude or shame; but to help the suffering to heal, the blind to see, and the oppressed to liberate.”

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That isn’t what it looks like nor what it is, that’s an interpretation.
Like I said, "I don't mind."
I'll let others come to their own conclusions.
I'm glad you are here. I wasn't trying to be off-putting.
Was just surprised by what I found. No worries.

/