South Australia goes 100% solar power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Well... you live in OZ down under...
Things might be named a bit different.

But you are describing an alternator. Fixed coils and rotating magnets. (They use electromagnets to control the strength of the magnetic field better)

In today's world of electronics...it isn't a big thing.
Modern generating plants use the electricity from another plant for all their power needs.

We usually use the lightbulb test for combining the power between two generating alternators.

If the lightbulb lights up between two "A" phases then they aren't in sync and one will "motor". So if the light goes out... perfect syncrenization has occurred and then we flip the switch to bring them online and feeding the distribution.

I'm actually in the US. I know motoring as when an "alternator" takes power instead of generating it. This happens when the turbine trips but the generator remains synced. It will motor for around 30 seconds until anti motoring protection trips the generator allowing the rotor to roll down.

Reactions: JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm actually in the US. I know motoring as when an "alternator" takes power instead of generating it. This happens when the turbine trips but the generator remains synced. It will motor for around 30 seconds until anti motoring protection trips the generator allowing the rotor to roll down.

They didn't used to have "anti motoring" protection...

And especially when we were hooking up several gennies together that weren't designed to.

We had three lights rigged up...
They worked...and we rigged up all kinds of things to get them to turn off.

The best was a 4X4 to become a brake. It usually worked better.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
whoopy, Solar can provide all of our power needs? Really, the same argument that the solar advocates used against the carbon sourced electrical generation was that fossil fuel was a finite resource. Solar is also a finite resource which is subject to the unpredictable windows of opportunities which takes away the ability to do photon upgrading within the energy sphere at a micro level on a continuous production bases.

The most inefficient use of energy is the application of electricity. Combined cycle Natural Gas generation of electricity has an efficiency approaching 50% which is 66% more efficient that the usual thermal steam generation plants.

Our stored carbon based energy will last to infinity if the reduction in our total energy usage is reduced by the factor of yearly carbon based consumption divided by the total carbon based energy store within the whole earth. Do the maths and this will pop out and be confirmed for you.

The climate change debate is based only on what can presently be measured at this present time. The hole in the argument on climate is the factors that cannot be measured at this present time. The argument is based on the extrapolation of the presently understood measurements and the models cannot take into account any non linear consumption or absorption of energy that may occur in an unpredictable manner.

The impact of the non-measurable factors can be observed but not quantified at this present time.

Everything that man has done up to this present time has had dangerous outcomes for mankind itself. Take lead pipes for example used during the time of the Roman Empire to pipe water around peoples houses back then caused madness and sickness within the wider community back then.

The current technologies used in battery productions uses more exotic materials where we do not necessarily understand the toxicities of these materials and their impact on everybody through the long term exposure to them.

What is happening at present is exchanging one form of toxic environment for another form of toxic environment.

I became involved in the stress relieving of the turbine parts for the QLD Split Yard Creek pump storage peak demand electricity generation plant west of Brisbane. It has worked well since it was commissioned and had a very short response time to the supply needs to either being turned on or off with very short notice.

The problem with solar power generation is that if the sun does not shine on that part of the country where the solar panels are, then they simply cannot provide what is needed to satisfy the needs of the people.

If we want reliability over the cloud cover that undermines the efficiency of the solar panel farms then we most be prepared to duplicate the solar farms over the whole available surface area of the respective countries so that the peak energy demands can be met by the total system design. This requires highly inefficient transmissions infrastructure to convey the power from where it can be generated to when it is needed by the consumer.

Even wind farms have these same limitations in there effectiveness.

Even the hydrogen economy has its limitations with respect to the storage of the hydrogen where better hydrogen storage densities can be achieved by using natural gas, i.e. methane, in the order of 400%.

Perhaps our problem is madness and the only cure of that dilemma is entering into a meaningful relationship with God, i.e. the creator of all things.

Shalom

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It cannot be done... South Australia is not powered 100% by solar... Read the article and it says...

"For just over an hour on Sunday, October 11, 100% of energy demand was met by solar panels alone."

South Australia ran 100% solar but only for one hour on October 11... Solar power only makes up 16% of the states power...

South-Australia-electricity-generation-by-fuel-type.png

For all its wind and solar power, South Australia is paying a very high price for electricity.
They are paying the most in the western world, 3 times more than the USA
sa-highest-power-costs-table.png

So then... The title for this thread should be "South Australia goes 100% solar power for one hour"

100% solar power for just over an hour is still a big achievement and proved that it can be done. And it's still early days there, there will be big improvements, especially at the rate technology is improving at.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps I should get into solar panel cleaning, but I am not good at heights on the roof hahaha

You could make a long broom :) People would tell you "I could do that" and then you say "Well, you called me" :D:D

----------------
My college use all Solar Power and it is nice in the summer when the town has rolling black outs we don't :)

Reactions: Josho

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It cannot be done... South Australia is not powered 100% by solar... Read the article and it says...

"For just over an hour on Sunday, October 11, 100% of energy demand was met by solar panels alone."

South Australia ran 100% solar but only for one hour on October 11... Solar power only makes up 16% of the states power...

South-Australia-electricity-generation-by-fuel-type.png

For all its wind and solar power, South Australia is paying a very high price for electricity.
They are paying the most in the western world, 3 times more than the USA
sa-highest-power-costs-table.png

So then... The title for this thread should be "South Australia goes 100% solar power for one hour"
New Zealand is more expensive than any of those Australian States. We have found power way cheaper here in Victoria than what we were paying in NZ.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
whoopy, Solar can provide all of our power needs? Really, the same argument that the solar advocates used against the carbon sourced electrical generation was that fossil fuel was a finite resource. Solar is also a finite resource which is subject to the unpredictable windows of opportunities which takes away the ability to do photon upgrading within the energy sphere at a micro level on a continuous production bases.

The most inefficient use of energy is the application of electricity. Combined cycle Natural Gas generation of electricity has an efficiency approaching 50% which is 66% more efficient that the usual thermal steam generation plants.

Our stored carbon based energy will last to infinity if the reduction in our total energy usage is reduced by the factor of yearly carbon based consumption divided by the total carbon based energy store within the whole earth. Do the maths and this will pop out and be confirmed for you.

The climate change debate is based only on what can presently be measured at this present time. The hole in the argument on climate is the factors that cannot be measured at this present time. The argument is based on the extrapolation of the presently understood measurements and the models cannot take into account any non linear consumption or absorption of energy that may occur in an unpredictable manner.

The impact of the non-measurable factors can be observed but not quantified at this present time.

Everything that man has done up to this present time has had dangerous outcomes for mankind itself. Take lead pipes for example used during the time of the Roman Empire to pipe water around peoples houses back then caused madness and sickness within the wider community back then.

The current technologies used in battery productions uses more exotic materials where we do not necessarily understand the toxicities of these materials and their impact on everybody through the long term exposure to them.

What is happening at present is exchanging one form of toxic environment for another form of toxic environment.

I became involved in the stress relieving of the turbine parts for the QLD Split Yard Creek pump storage peak demand electricity generation plant west of Brisbane. It has worked well since it was commissioned and had a very short response time to the supply needs to either being turned on or off with very short notice.

The problem with solar power generation is that if the sun does not shine on that part of the country where the solar panels are, then they simply cannot provide what is needed to satisfy the needs of the people.

If we want reliability over the cloud cover that undermines the efficiency of the solar panel farms then we most be prepared to duplicate the solar farms over the whole available surface area of the respective countries so that the peak energy demands can be met by the total system design. This requires highly inefficient transmissions infrastructure to convey the power from where it can be generated to when it is needed by the consumer.

Even wind farms have these same limitations in there effectiveness.

Even the hydrogen economy has its limitations with respect to the storage of the hydrogen where better hydrogen storage densities can be achieved by using natural gas, i.e. methane, in the order of 400%.

Perhaps our problem is madness and the only cure of that dilemma is entering into a meaningful relationship with God, i.e. the creator of all things.

Shalom
Sorry bro but that was way over my head. I'm sure it made sense to some and I don't doubt the veracity of your argument. But you lost me at "unpredictable windows of opportunities which takes away the ability to do photon upgrading" and it all went downhill from there lol.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sorry bro but that was way over my head. I'm sure it made sense to some and I don't doubt the veracity of your argument. But you lost me at "unpredictable windows of opportunities which takes away the ability to do photon upgrading" and it all went downhill from there lol.

I am sorry Backlit, but solar panels work on the principle of photons of light from particular wave length imparting their energy to an electron such that the energy of the proton is upgraded to produce and electrical current with a a higher energy level to do useful work.

The unpredictable windows of opportunities are the sun's electromagnetic radiation in the form of photons actually striking the solar panel because of the rotation of the earth and the movement of dense water barriers called clouds block or absorbing the electromagnetic radiations from the sun such that it also does not reach the solar panel in question to produce a flow of electrons which we call electricity which then transfers the potential difference along the power line network where some useful work can be done.

Solar power has been touted as the answer to a maiden's prayer with respect to fossil fuels, where the reality is that there are more hinderances for its success to actually replace fossil fuel generation over the longer term without removing the issue of toxic materials entering the environment by this change..