Speaking in Tongues a Cessationist View

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding Speaking in Tongues it is not scriptural that this was done away with...

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:17-18

If these events no longer occur it is more due to our carnality than any other reason.

Reactions: Willie T

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding Speaking in Tongues it is not scriptural that this was done away with...

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. - Mark 16:17-18

If these events no longer occur it is more due to our carnality than any other reason.
Drank any poison lately?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We tread on serpents. The laying on of hands is what we do in presenting salvation. When I received it I began speaking in a new tongue (the Gospel). I was once a serpent.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Waiting on him PS: I must confess I am a cessationist in the sense that the Bible is now complete (unlike as in the transitional Apostolic period) and without sign gifts we have sufficient Biblical authority to declare the whole counsel of God.

Reactions: Waiting on him

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Waiting on him PS: I must confess I am a cessationist in the sense that the Bible is now complete (unlike as in the transitional Apostolic period) and without sign gifts we have sufficient Biblical authority to declare the whole counsel of God.
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. - James 5:14-16

So, healing disappeared as well? No need for the anointing oil on the pulpit as the unbelief is so dense that the Lord cannot get a blessing in there edgewise!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. - James 5:14-16

So, healing disappeared as well? No need for the anointing oil on the pulpit as the unbelief is so dense that the Lord cannot get a blessing in there edgewise!
The sick is referring in my opinion to the lost( they need a physician ). I believe this is a salvation verse. Notice their sins will be forgiven? Oil is used throughout the OT for the anointing of kings (He makes kings and priests of us)

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sick is referring in my opinion to the lost( they need a physician ). I believe this is a salvation verse. Notice their sins will be forgiven? Oil is used throughout the OT for the anointing of kings (He makes kings and priests of us)

Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye. - Mark 7:13

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye. - Mark 7:13
Not true, there’s great effect, the spiritualy dead are being raised all over the world as I type this post. The spiritualy blind are receiving sight through the reading of his word. The deaf are hearing from him right now. Can you refute this?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. - Matthew 17

Jesus attributed the lack of miracles to unbelief and not to any particular dispensation.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
14 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. - Matthew 17

Jesus attributed the lack of miracles to unbelief and not to any particular dispensation.
I’d never encourage someone to drink literal poison, or handle a literal poisonous snake.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d never encourage someone to drink literal poison, or handle a literal poisonous snake.

Which would be tempting God. I would not do anything purposely harmful to myself and expect deliverance. But... If I came down sick it is good to know I have people willing to hang in there with me in faith and in prayer.