Speaking in Tongues a Cessationist View

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She was not speaking in biblical tongues. Biblical tongues were NT scripture being written and ceased with the Apostles who distributed the gift. About the time scripture was complete.
I could, and sometimes WANT to, give you a "LIKE"...…. But, just as in this post, when you might say something I agree with in your first sentence, I can be sure you will almost always blow it by continuing to claim other things as the post goes on.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
If it was genuine, it would have been world wide involving the whole church. Not just a few hicks who knew less about Acts than most Sunday school kids.
well, so you say, I dunno, but I wouldn't discount that those who showed up might have just been of one accord in that moment, and maybe the principles had like little or nothing to do with it really, other than being smart enough to get out of the way. But I wouldn't argue that by the time about four or five of them got together and decided to write something down it was prolly over too

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You believe what you want. I don't believe in tongues today. They were done away with when the scriptures we're completed. I disagree with your interpretation of the scriptures concerning tongues. The scriptures are very specific, written down in black and white. The gift of tongues was one of the gifts that proved the Christian congregation was the organization The True God Jehovah was working through instead of the Jewish system with it's temple and sacrificial alter. Tongues was also a gift used in the furtherance of the preaching of the kingdom of God. Specifically tongues we're for convincing the unbeliever not the believer. Unbelievers were not given the gift of interpretation of tongues
Well BB, xenoglossy did not require interpretation though right, it was the unbeliever who understood in his own language

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Within our Pentecostal Holiness church.... A joy unspeakable and full of glory! Especially in knowing I am spreading this stuff worldwide!

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I could, and sometimes WANT to, give you a "LIKE"...…. But, just as in this post, when you might say something I agree with in your first sentence, I can be sure you will almost always blow it by continuing to claim other things as the post goes on.
although I'm not sure now how correct it is to say that she was not following Scripture, everyone crawls before they walk I guess

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mindless babbling relieves stress even among Voodoo practitioners.

Speaking in Tongues: Glossalalia and Stress Reduction
Matthew 6:7 KJV
[7] But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do : for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Tecarta Bible
Greek: βαττολογέω
Transliteration: battologeō
Pronunciation: bat-tol-og-eh'-o
Definition: From Βάττος Battos (a proverbial stammerer) and G3056; to stutter that is (by implication) to prate tediously: - use vain repetitions.

Reactions: bbyrd009

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mindless babbling relieves stress even among Voodoo practitioners.

Speaking in Tongues: Glossalalia and Stress Reduction

The Pharisees were accusing Christ of casting out devils through Beelzebub, when in fact he was doing it through the power of the Holy Spirit. Christ let them know their insults were not against him, but in his underlying power, which is the Holy Spirit.

24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. - Matthew 12

If you are correct in your analysis all is good and well. But if the people you are making fun of are actually Spirit filled be it known that you are not making fun of them, but of their underlying power, which is the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country