Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ridiculing what Mark 16 claims by broadcasting cult like excesses to 'prove a point' doesn't really wash.
Paul shook off a deadly snake and the observers expected him to drop down dead..

Paul's bloodstream was awash with the holy spirit which acted as an anti-toxin..:)
Anyway not all snakebites are fatal-
WIKI- a viper bite is often a very painful experience and should always be taken seriously, though it may not necessarily prove fatal.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Paul's bloodstream was awash with the holy spirit which acted as an anti-toxin..:)

Now you are talking...

I was teaching in Tonga one lunchtime and a centipede about a 9 inches long fell out of a tree onto my arm - the locals tackled me before it bit.

Does that count ? :)

Reactions: Dropship

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Like I asked, what exactly do tongue-speakers prophesy about, or is it a secret meant only for them?

The translation of such utterances by those who have the gift of interpretation, is a sign for unbelievers who hear proclamations of Gods greatness in their own language and hear the translation from one who has no natural knowledge of the language.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was teaching in Tonga one lunchtime and a centipede about a 9 inches long fell out of a tree onto my arm - the locals tackled me before it bit.
Does that count ? :)

It might..:)
When I was a kid in the 1950's there was a nationwide polio scare and our parents warned us to stay away from the nearby germ-laden brook, but of course we enjoyed throwing stones in it to see the splashes, but then one splash sent a few drops into my mouth. I spat it out but was worried sick that I was going to get polio but nothing happened, phew..

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The translation of such utterances by those who have the gift of interpretation, is a sign for unbelievers who hear proclamations of Gods greatness in their own language and hear the translation from one who has no natural knowledge of the language.

But what is there to 'prophesy' about anyway?
And are God's great revelations meant only for tongue-speakers and not for the rest of us?

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It might..:)
When I was a kid in the 1950's there was a nationwide polio scare and our parents warned us to stay away from the nearby germ-laden brook, but of course we enjoyed throwing stones in it to see the splashes, but then one splash sent a few drops into my mouth. I spat it out but was worried sick that I was going to get polio but nothing happened, phew..

I was one of very few not vaccinated against polio - and one of my school friends was vaccinated and contracted the disease.

Excuse the rambling - we all have stories I guess.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
But what is there to 'prophesy' about anyway?
And are God's great revelations meant only for tongue-speakers and not for the rest of us?

God's wonders never cease - better get used to that.

And to give Him Glory for what He does is for all of us.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP^

Acts 2:
[3] And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it (cloven tongues) sat upon each of them.
[4] And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
[5] And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
[6] Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his (an others) own language.

Agree, a manifestation, (ie appeared).
Seems more like a temporary blessing to fulfill a purpose, “men from every nation under heaven”, taking the knowledge back to their nation?
I believe gifts given of God are permanent. Each filled with the Holy Ghost.

Just sharing.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Nancy

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God's wonders never cease - better get used to that.
And to give Him Glory for what He does is for all of us.

Yes, no doubt he thinks some people need a bit of help so he gives them the gift of tongues, but the rest of us are doing fine without it..;)

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, no doubt he thinks some people need a bit of help so he gives them the gift of tongues, but the rest of us are doing fine without it..;)

Says the spoiled child who didn't get the gift he wanted at Christmas.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP^

Acts 2:
[3] And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it (cloven tongues) sat upon each of them.
[4] And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
[5] And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
[6] Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his (an others) own language.

Agree, a manifestation, (ie appeared).
Seems more like a temporary blessing to fulfill a purpose, “men from every nation under heaven”, taking the knowledge back to their nation?
I believe gifts given of God are permanent. Each filled with the Holy Ghost.

Just sharing.

Glory to God,
Taken

Try using a better translation.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, no doubt God thinks some people need a bit of help so he gives them the gift of tongues, but the rest of us are doing fine without it..;)

Says the spoiled child who didn't get the gift he wanted at Christmas.

Yes mate, when I was a kid I wanted a Scalextric electric car racing set, but my parents bought me a 'VIP Roadway' set which was rubbish because the cars kept skidding off the track.
50 years later I discovered on the internet the reason why, it was because my dad had set it up wrong by forgetting to insert the anti-skid pin in the underside of the cars, what a wally.
PS- one of the best Christmas presents I had was a Flash Gordon ray gun..:)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your accusation of my making a "false analogy" is somehow not petty? Wow! Talk about choking on a gnat!

1 Cor 12:7,

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.​

And I am not arguing that verse one whit!

But you seem to not wish to address teh verses Paul wrote that called tongues a gift!

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I am not arguing that verse one whit!

But you seem to not wish to address teh verses Paul wrote that called tongues a gift!
Well, I've said over and over everything is a gift from God, so it's not correct to say I don't want to do that.

One of those gifts is holy spirit (the very essence of the new birth) which comes with the ability to operate the nine manifestations of which tongues is one.

The problem with calling tongues a gift instead of a manifestation is that it has led many to believe only certain people have the "gift" of tongues while the vast majority do not. I'm just trying to point out that we all have the gift of holy spirit and that part of that gift is the ability to operate the nine manifestations of which tongues is one. It is part of the power from on high Jesus promised the Apostles.

Paul was glad he spoke in tongues more than everybody else. He must have thought it important. Paul says he wishes everybody spoke in tongues. Why would he write that if it were not available?

There are three accounts in Acts where people who were born again spoke in tongues immediately, so tongues can't be just for those who are mature and deserve an extra boost or whatever. It ought to be a normal part of all Christian's prayer life.

I might also point out that Jesus said we'd do the works he did. He did 7 of the 9 manifestations, missing only tongues and interpretation of tongues. That's simply because they were not available until Pentecost. So if not tongues, all believers ought to be getting word of knowledge, word of wisdom, discerning of spirits, prophecy, faith, healing, and miracles. Hint; speaking in tongues much builds us up spiritually and makes us more adept at the other manifestations. I trust you can see the need for the ability to operate at least those manifestations Jesus did in order to better serve others.

The gift is holy spirit and it comes with nine different manifestations. Very simple and yet profound if we only let of preconceived ideas and believe the simplicity of God's word.

What do you think 1 Corinthians 12:7 is talking about if not manifestations? Do you not see verses 8-10 as enumerating those manifestations?

Last edited:

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

I think it may be related to the degree we engage in the spiritual battle.

I wake in the morning with an unknown language pouring out of me - i don't 'turn it on'

I have found when this happens - oppressions disappear.

Reactions: Rich R

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned.
And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name shall they cast out demons; they shall speak with new tongues;they shall take up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall in no wise hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." (Mark 16:16-18)

Nobody really knows what "speaking in new tongues" means anyway, it might simply mean that somebody turns over a new leaf and speaks sensibly and intelligently like a new person.
As for the other stuff in those verses, I haven't been water-baptised and yet a Baptist minister said I won't be going to hell, so there again it's simply a matter of interpretation.
And as regards handling snakes and drinking poison, I think I'll stick to fluffy kittens and a cup of tea..:)

View attachment 24898

The bit about picking up serpents and drinking poison and not be hurt is nothing more than a Hebrew idiom that means divine protection, not actually about those specifics. Actually picking up snakes as in the video is the sin of presumption, which is why Jesus did not obey Satan and jump off a pinnacle. Now that I know that my faith is strong regarding knowing I'm protected. It is also why I don't need to be anxious about anything. That command about be anxious for nothing is another way of saying that Hebrew idiom in Mark 16:18.

Why are you not baptized? How long have you been a Christian?

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I've said over and over everything is a gift from God, so it's not correct to say I don't want to do that.
Only after some in here told you the tongues phenomenon is a gift!!! Proof? Just look at the title of your OP. Lol

One of those gifts is holy spirit (the very essence of the new birth) which comes with the ability to operate the nine manifestations of which tongues is one.

So when John the Baptist was saved he did all of the above in his mother's womb???

The problem with calling tongues a gift instead of a manifestation is that it has led many to believe only certain people have the "gift" of tongues while the vast majority to not.
By golly, you got it right! Why else did it need interpretation? Duh!

Paul was glad he spoke in tongues more than everybody else. He must have thought it important.
indeed it was important! He was with Jesus in the desert for thee years to be taught of the Gospel.

There are three accounts in Acts where people who were born again spoke in tongues immediately,
Please, don't compare the miracle that happened at Pentecost and elsewhere, with the tongues phenomenon that occurred at the Church of Corinth. They are entirely, different. The first was a miracle while the other was a gift.

It ought to be a normal part of all Christian's prayer life.
But "tongues" is NOT a prayer, for a prayer is recited by different nationalities in their given tongue. They prayed to God with their own language, after Jesus taught how shall one pray. How else can they be understood by God, but by their own language? God is a God of order, NOT of confusion!

I might also point out that Jesus said we'd do the works he did.
You are really trying very hard to prove yourself lacking in knowledge and you know what you are succeeding.
The work that Jesus came to do was teach the GOSPEL yet, there were only a hundred and twenty at the upper room, and five hundred in Galilee that became saved. Then at Pentecost Peter and the disciples began to teach in their native tongue which was Galilean and three thousand were saved which heard the Gospel in their own native tongue which were about fifteen different nationalities. . And this is what is meant when Jesus said: greater things will you do."

The gift is holy spirit and it comes with nine different manifestations. Very simple and yet profound if we only let of preconceived ideas and believe the simplicity of God's word.
Again you are in error! Did you know that the Bible was written to foster unbelief. Just look at how you understand Scripture? By not believing Jesus is God, the Bible declares you will die in your sins. John 8:24. I know you are aware of this part of Scripture.

What do you think 1 Corinthians 12:7 is talking about if not manifestations? Do you not see verses 8-10 as enumerating those manifestations?

Without the gifts there are no manifestations!.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only after some in here told you the tongues phenomenon is a gift!!! Proof? Just look at the title of your OP. Lol

So when John the Baptist was saved he did all of the above in his mother's womb???

By golly, you got it right! Why else did it need interpretation? Duh!

indeed it was important! He was with Jesus in the desert for thee years to be taught of the Gospel.

Please, don't compare the miracle that happened at Pentecost and elsewhere, with the tongues phenomenon that occurred at he Church of Corinth. They are entirely, different. The first was a miracle while the other was a gift.

But "tongues" is NOT a prayer, for a prayer is recited by different nationalities in their given tongue. They prayed to God with their own language. How else can they be understood by God, but by their own language? God is a God of order, NOT confusion!

You are really trying hard to prove yourself lacking in knowledge and you are succeeding.
The work that Jesus came to do was teach the GOSPEL yet, there were only a hundred and twenty in the upper room, and five hundred in Galilee. Then at Pentecost Peter and the disciples began to teach in their native tongue which was Galilean and three thousand were saved which heard the Gospel in their own native tongue which were about fifteen different nationalities. . And this is what is meant when Jesus said: greater things will you do."

You are really trying hard to prove yourself lacking in knowledge and you are succeeding.
The work that Jesus came to do was teach the GOSPEL yet, there were only a hundred and twenty in the upper room, and five hundred in Galilee. Then at Pentecost Peter and the disciples began to teach in their native tongue which was Galilean and three thousand were saved which heard the Gospel in their own native tongue which were about fifteen different nationalities. . And this is what is meant when Jesus said: greater works will you do."

Again you are in error! Did you know that the Bible was written to foster unbelief. Just look at how you understand Scripture? By not believing Jesus is God, the Bible declares you will die in your sins. John 8:24. I know you are aware of this part of Scripture.

Without the gifts there are no manifestations!.

To God Be The Glory
I just put you on my ignore list. I don't want you having to answer to Jesus for any more baseless accusations against a son of God. It's bad enough already.