Speaking in tongues is NOT a gift

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may come as somewhat of a surprise to most Christians to learn that the scriptures calls tongues a manifestation. In every English and Greek version of the scriptures that I know of, tongues is unambiguously called a manifestation. A manifestation is not the same thing as a gift.

Regardless of how one feels about whether tongues is valid today or not, at least we ought to know what it is before making that decision.

Acts 2:38,

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.​

The gift is holy spirit which is not the same thing as tongues. Now spirit can not be seen, heard, smelled, tasted or touched. It is not registered by any of the five senses in the material world.

John 3:6,

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.​

John 3:8,

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.​

The word "wind" is the same Greek word used for spirit, pneuma. It is the word used in both John 3:6 and Acts 2:36. While spirit itself can not be seen, the effects of it's operations can be seen, i.e., it is manifested into the material world. We can't see wind, but when it is energized we can see the effects it has on trees. That is exactly what John said in verse 3:8.

1 Cor 12:7-10,

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:​

As the scriptures clearly say, tongues is but one of nine manifestations of the spirit.

As Peter said on the day of Pentecost, anyone who repents and accepts Jesus as their Lord and believes God raise him from the dead (Rom 9-10), will receive the gift of holy spirit. That gift is the very essence of being born again. It is Christ in you (Col 1:27), the hope of future glory. It is the incorruptible seed of 1 Pet 1:23. All born again Christians have the gift.

Now that gift, that power from on high (Luk 24:29), is completely under the control of the believer. It can lay dormant in which case it's power will lay dormant. Or, by the believer's free will, it can be energized in nine different ways as listed in 1 Cor 12:7-10. When that is done, its full potential power is realized and manifested into the physical world. For example, tongues, interpretation of tongues, and prophecy are manifestations that can be heard by anyone with ears. The invisible gift of spirit is manifested in the physical world when any one of the nine manifestations are operated by the believer.

As I said, regardless of how one feels about tongues, I think we at least owe God the practice of calling tongues what He calls them, i.e., a manifestation, not a gift.

I might also point out that Jesus said we would do the works he did and even greater works (John 14:12). It is quite easy to see Jesus operating 7 of the 9 manifestations throughout his ministry. The only ones he did not practice are tongues and interpretation of tongues, and and that is simply because the were not available until the day of Pentecost which was of course some time after he walked the earth. Could tongues and interpretation of tongues be the greater works? Not sure, but maybe they are.

Look, we wrestle, not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual powers from on high (Eph 6:12). Would it not stand to reason that we need spiritual power to wrestle against spiritual power? Of course it does, and those powers are none other than the nine manifestations of the gift of holy spirit. Ephesians 6:17 tells us to take the sword of the spirit. A sword simply hanging on one's belt, will do nothing when facing an attack by someone who is actually swinging their sword towards your head. To defeat such an enemy it is necessary to take the sword out of its sheath and actually start swinging, to start using its potential, to makes its power manifested to the enemy's, the devil's, head!

Last edited:

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good luck…I have been trying to teach this for years, but people have a tendency to read what they believe rather than what is written.

The word “gift” that has been added in 1Co 12:1, 13:2, 14:1 &14:12 has certainly contributed to this error. And although the KJV and NKJV do have this word in italic (indicating it was added) most all of the other versions give no indication that it is not God breathed.

The word “spiritual” in 1Co 12:1 is the Greek word (pneumatikos) meaning “that which belongs to, is determined by, influenced by, or proceeds from the spirit” (spiritual matters). Which would have been a better choice… than gifts.

A gift is individually given….. and you do not have it unless someone gives it to you. (i.e. the gift of holy spirit) …….A manifestation is an evidence, a showing forth of something you already have.

The word manifestation is in the singular and it carries the definite article, which calls attention with special emphasis to a designated object.

Like a group of grapes, the manifestation of the spirit has nine evidences to be utilized at the discretion of the born again believe, at his (idios) will.

The gifts of healing is still in the group of the manifestation, but each healing is a gift, and yet a manifestation (evidence) of the spirit.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice what is left out of the list of gifts on Romans 12
Good call! You just opened another Biblical research project.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
gift here is the Greek word "dorea" in this verse, so holy spirit is a dorea.

Rom 12:6,

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, [let us prophesy] according to the proportion of faith;
gifts here is "charisma" which is a different word used of holy spirit in Acts 2:38.

I'm not sure, but I think Romans may be talking, not about the manifestation of prophecy, but instead about the gift ministry of a prophet that God gives to the church build it up.

Eph 4:11-12,

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
I guess I have to add this to the long list of questions I have for Jesus when he wakes me up from the dead or calls me up to the clouds if I'm still alive when he comes back. :)

1Thess 4:16-18,

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice what is extensively mentioned in 1 Corinthians 14: speaking in tongues!
Indeed!

A key to understanding 1 Corinthians chapters 12-14 is that they are mostly talking about how to behave in a church meeting. Indeed, that is the context for most of 1 Corinthians. The Corinthians were really blowing it when they got together as a group, so Paul had to straighten them out on many things, including on how to operate the manifestations. God didn't want the Corinthians to be ignorant about sip spiritual matters (1 Cor 12:1).

Chapter 14 of 1 Corinthians, tells us that tongues by themselves is for one's own edification, used in one's private prayer life. But in a group setting, if someone speaks in tongues they should also interpret so as to build up the whole group. Prophecy will also build up the group and in that sense prophecy is equal to tongues with interpretation. The main thing being that if people don't understand what is being said, as in tongues, then they don't get edified. But it could be even worse than that if a visitor thinks the people are crazy! Not a good witness in any case.

Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It may come as somewhat of a surprise to most Christians to learn that the scriptures never call tongues a gift.
More nonsense from Rich R. Now notice this verse carefully:

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. (1 Cor 12:4)
Διαιρέσεις δὲ χαρισμάτων* εἰσίν τὸ δὲ αὐτὸ πνεῦμα·

*Strong's Concordance
charisma: a gift of grace, a free gift
Original Word: χάρισμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: charisma
Phonetic Spelling: (khar'-is-mah)
Definition: a gift of grace, a free gift
Usage: a gift of grace, an undeserved favor.

In the context of the above verse and the term "gifts" we find this in verse 10: To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

That word "tongues" should have been "languages" since only foreign languages need interpretation. So the SPIRITUAL GIFT of tongues is the ability to speak a foreign language supernaturally -- never having learned it normally. See Acts 2.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

*Strong's Concordance

In the context of the above verse and the term "gifts" we find this in verse 10: To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

That word "tongues" should have been "languages" since only foreign languages need interpretation. So the SPIRITUAL GIFT of tongues is the ability to speak a foreign language supernaturally -- never having learned it normally. See Acts 2.

That is just your interpretation. Paul wrote than when he spoke in tongues, it was the Spirit speaking. He didn't understand it.

1 Corinthians 14:15a, "If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unproductive. What should I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind."

That is exactly what happens when I pray in tongues: the Spirit within me prays but I don't know what is being said. If you lack the faith to accept that, fine. It doesn't matter to me if you accept it or not. It only matters to God.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may come as somewhat of a surprise to most Christians to learn that the scriptures never call tongues a gift. In every English and Greek version of the scriptures that I know of, tongues is unambiguously called a manifestation. A manifestation is not the same thing as a gift.

Regardless of how one feels about whether tongues is valid today or not, at least we ought to know what it is before making that decision.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.​

The gift is holy spirit which is not the same thing as tongues. Now spirit can not be seen, heard, smelled, tasted or touched. It is not registered by any of the five senses in the material world.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.​

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.​

The word "wind" is the same Greek word used for spirit, pneuma. It is the word used in both John 3:6 and Acts 2:36. While spirit itself can not be seen, the effects of it's operations can be seen, i.e., it is manifested into the material world. We can't see wind, but when it is energized we can see the effects it has on trees. That is exactly what John said in verse 3:8.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:​

As the scriptures clearly say, tongues is but one of nine manifestations of the spirit.

As Peter said on the day of Pentecost, anyone who repents and accepts Jesus as their Lord and believes God raise him from the dead (Rom 9-10), will receive the gift of holy spirit. That gift is the very essence of being born again. It is Christ in you (Col 1:27), the hope of future glory. It is the incorruptible seed of 1 Pet 1:23. All born again Christians have the gift.

Now that gift, that power from on high (Luk 24:29), is completely under the control of the believer. It can lay dormant in which case it's power will lay dormant. Or, by the believer's free will, it can be energized in nine different ways as listed in 1 Cor 12:7-10. When that is done, its full potential power is realized and manifested into the physical world. For example, tongues, interpretation of tongues, and prophecy are manifestations that can be heard by anyone with ears. The invisible gift of spirit is manifested in the physical world when any one of the nine manifestations are operated by the believer.

As I said, regardless of how one feels about tongues, I think we at least owe God the practice of calling tongues what He calls them, i.e., a manifestation, not a gift.

I might also point out that Jesus said we would do the works he did and even greater works (John 14:12). It is quite easy to see Jesus operating 7 of the 9 manifestations throughout his ministry. The only ones he did not practice are tongues and interpretation of tongues, and and that is simply because the were not available until the day of Pentecost which was of course some time after he walked the earth. Could tongues and interpretation of tongues be the greater works? Not sure, but maybe they are.

Look, we wrestle, not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual powers from on high (Eph 6:12). Would it not stand to reason that we need spiritual power to wrestle against spiritual power? Of course it does, and those powers are none other than the nine manifestations of the gift of holy spirit. Ephesians 6:17 tells us to take the sword of the spirit. A sword simply hanging on one's belt, will do nothing when facing an attack by someone who is actually swinging their sword towards your head. To defeat such an enemy it is necessary to take the sword out of its sheath and actually start swinging, to start using its potential, to makes its power manifested to the enemy's, the devil's, head!

Very interesting, thank you for the thoughtful post (making me think, anyhow).

"I might also point out that Jesus said we would do the works he did and even greater works (John 14:12). It is quite easy to see Jesus operating 7 of the 9 manifestations throughout his ministry. The only ones he did not practice are tongues and interpretation of tongues, and and that is simply because the were not available until the day of Pentecost which was of course some time after he walked the earth. Could tongues and interpretation of tongues be the greater works? Not sure, but maybe they are."

So, do you also believe that tongues are a "work"? (tongues be the greater works...")
And, perhaps Jesus meant greater works in scope?

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is just your interpretation. Paul wrote than when he spoke in tongues, it was the Spirit speaking. He didn't understand it.

1 Corinthians 14:15a, "If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unproductive. What should I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind."

That is exactly what happens when I pray in tongues: the Spirit within me prays but I don't know what is being said. If you lack the faith to accept that, fine. It doesn't matter to me if you accept it or not. It only matters to God.

You are correct regarding gifts in verse 4

12:4 A literal understanding of this would be: “Through the choice or option of God, there are gifts given to man.”

Verse 4 does talk about the “diversity of gifts” …..of which there are seven given to the “Church of the Body of Christ” →(“5 gift ministries” listed in Ephesians Eph 4:11 *) →(“holy spirit” “the gift” given at new birth…Acts 2:38) and →(“gifts of healing” because every healing is a gift, but it is still a manifestation thereof …1 Cor 12:9).

*(the 5 gift ministries listed in Ephesians 4:11 These are gifts of service on a horizontal level given to those who are fully committed to serving Gods people.)

Verse 6 states that, God is the one who energizes (worketh) each operation.

In verse 7 of 1Co 12 it changes from gifts…. to manifestation.

12:7But the manifestation of the spirit is given to every man to profit withal

The word “but” is a conjunction that sets in contrast that which precedes it … verses 4-6 was dealing with gifts, but it changed from gifts to manifestation.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

*Strong's Concordance

I'm afraid you're not being as careful as you think. Let's look at 1 Cor 12:1-10.

Verse 1 tells us that Paul is about to speak of "pneumatikos" which means "spiritual matters." So what are these spiritual matters?

As you correctly pointed out, verse 4 speaks of gifts. However, that is not the only spiritual matter Paul talks about. Verse 5 talks about the spiritual matter of administrations. Verse 6 talks about yet another spiritual matter, namely operations. Finally we come to verse 7 which talks about the spiritual matter of manifestations, followed by verses 8-10 which enumerates those manifestations. Guess what we find there. That's right...tongues is listed as one of the nine manifestations.Tongues is not a gift, an administration, nor an operation. It is a manifestation.

To summarize, there are 4 different "pneumatikos" addressed in 1 Corinthians 12:1-10;

1) gifts
2) administrations
3) operations
4) manifestations

In the spirit of love, I won't say your reply is more nonsense, but I will say you you don't fully understand this section of scriptures. But no problem, you can always learn and change. I do that all the time and it's not that bad. In fact, it's always liberating to let go of false doctrines and replace them with the truth. It's quite liberating. Give it a try! :)

Last edited:

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very interesting, thank you for the thoughtful post (making me think, anyhow).

"I might also point out that Jesus said we would do the works he did and even greater works (John 14:12). It is quite easy to see Jesus operating 7 of the 9 manifestations throughout his ministry. The only ones he did not practice are tongues and interpretation of tongues, and and that is simply because the were not available until the day of Pentecost which was of course some time after he walked the earth. Could tongues and interpretation of tongues be the greater works? Not sure, but maybe they are."

So, do you also believe that tongues are a "work"? (tongues be the greater works...")
And, perhaps Jesus meant greater works in scope?
Good question. Perhaps you are right. Like I said, I'm not completely sure about the greater works, but you make a good point.

I was also thinking that the greater works could be leading a person dead in trespasses and sins into the new birth and eternal life on a perfect earth. Obviously, until Jesus ascended and poured out holy spirit on the Apostles on the day of Pentecost, the new birth was not available. The first people who experienced the new birth were the Apostles on the day of Pentecost. In other words, the new birth was not available when Jesus was here, so he could not lead anyone into the new birth as we can today. Quite a privilege! A privilege that ought not be squandered. Christians need to talk to the dead in trespasses and sins any opportunity that may arise. In that regard we take the place of the physically absent Christ on this earth. We are ambassadors for Christ (2 Cor 5:10)!

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, if Jesus
Good question. Perhaps you are right. Like I said, I'm not completely sure about the greater works, but you make a good point.

I was also thinking that the greater works could be leading a person dead in trespasses and sins into the new birth and eternal life on a perfect earth. Obviously, until Jesus ascended and poured out holy spirit on the Apostles on the day of Pentecost, the new birth was not available. The first people who experienced the new birth were the Apostles on the day of Pentecost. In other words, the new birth was not available when Jesus was here, so he could not lead anyone into the new birth as we can today. Quite a privilege! A privilege that ought not be squandered. Christians need to talk to the dead in trespasses and sins any opportunity that may arise. In that regard we take the place of the physically absent Christ on this earth. We are ambassadors for Christ (2 Cor 5:10)!
Yes, Jesus had to leave in order to send our "helper", or nothing would have taken off.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may come as somewhat of a surprise to most Christians to learn that the scriptures never call tongues a gift. In every English and Greek version of the scriptures that I know of, tongues is unambiguously called a manifestation. A manifestation is not the same thing as a gift.

Good teaching...I agree...it's hard to explain to others that it's not them that has the power to manifest but rather the Holy Spirit through them manifesting His power.
Some people honestly think that the gift is given for them to use at will. SMH...without the Holy Spirit’s anointing at that moment to manifest His power the person cannot manifest any supernatural power.
Thanks for this thread it is a good teaching

Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It was one of the "gifts" given to anointed Christians in the first century sir. It is no longer a gift since those gifts came to their end. It had its place in our history, but is no longer needed.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was one of the "gifts" given to anointed Christians in the first century sir. It is no longer a gift since those gifts came to their end. It had its place in our history, but is no longer needed.
That's like the United States giving up its defense forces. Russia and China would love it! I wonder what would happen?

I don't think the devil stopped seeking whom he may devour after the 1st century. A good look at the world today ought to prove that. He is winning largely because too many Christians are powerless, not knowing about the holy spirit dwelling within. The US can have a good stock of weapons, but it they're locked up when an enemy attacks, they will do no good.

I think you may have read the post with your mind already made up, since you apparently didn't even absorb the message. Why do you call a gift what God clearly calls a manifestation?

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's like the United States giving up its defense forces. Russia and China would love it! I wonder what would happen?

I think you may have read the post with your mind already made up, since you apparently didn't even absorb the message. Why do you call a gift what God clearly calls a manifestation?
I agree with you Richard, you seem like a very sensible person, and I mean that.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything that is good is a gift from God. Manifestation merely means the powers and abilities from God manifested onto us. They are gifts, scripture confirms it.
Faith is a gift, a fundamental truth, by which we become Christians.
There are many spiritual gifts. Some have several and some have only one - you need to find yours.
Btw, if the Holy Spirit is just a force, described as wind, how can it ( if He is not a person)
love us, teach us, guide us, counsel us, lead, search all truth (which means He is omniscient), be omnipresent (since billions are comforted by Him) and omnipotent, bear witness to Christ, glorify Christ, be wise, give gifts, make promises, fellowship with us, sanctify us, justify us, convict us of sin and righteousness, and edify us? HE dwells in us and communes with us. This is not some impersonal force. Jesus said the Father will send another helper Who will live in you.
It is much more than, "The force is with you!"

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do you believe Jesus is God manifested in the flesh ?
1 John 4 :7-10 ( context)
V.9. In this was manisfested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only
begotten Son into the world, that we might LIVE through him.
10. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that HE LOVED US, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Rms.3:19-22

Jesus said in Mk. 13:31; Mt. 24:35; Luke 21:33, Heaven and earth shall pass away but my word SHALL NOT pass away.

John16:5-8 ( context )
V.7 Nevertheless I TELL YOU THE TRUTH; It is expedient FOR YOU that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you ; but if I depart, I will SEND HIM UNTO YOU. And when he is come, HE will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.
John 14: 14 -17 ( context )
16. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you ANOTHER COMFORTER, THAT HE MAY ABIDE WITH YOU FOREVER.
17.Even the Spirit of Truth;...............................
for he DWELLETH with you and SHALL BE IN YOU. JN.14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost...................read the rest plz some of WHY he was sent !
Jn,20:20-23 ( context )
22. And when he had said this,HE BREATHED on them, and saith unto them, RECEIVE YE THE HOLY GHOST.

Tooooo many ppl today quote this out of context so I'll do it b4 you have a chance to do so.
1 Cor.13 6-9 ( context)
V.8. CHARITY NEVER FAILETH: but WHETHER there be prophecies, they shall fail; [ be false]
whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
THIS IS DIRECTED @ CHARITY, NOT at prophevies, tongues, or knowledge.......it is about love ! For we KNOW in part and we PROPHESY in part. Why bc we look through the glass darkly, our vision is obscured bc of the flesh !

Either you don't believe in the anointing anymore for God's children or you don't believe the word !

Do you also call the Son Michael ?
Do you believe heaven or hell is here on earth that we are living now ?
Any of the above beliefs are false doctrine and ppl are deceived into this false belief.

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everything that is good is a gift from God. Manifestation merely means the powers and abilities from God manifested onto us. They are gifts, scripture confirms it.
Faith is a gift, a fundamental truth, by which we become Christians.
There are many spiritual gifts. Some have several and some have only one - you need to find yours.
Btw, if the Holy Spirit is just a force, described as wind, how can it ( if He is not a person)
love us, teach us, guide us, counsel us, lead, search all truth (which means He is omniscient), be omnipresent (since billions are comforted by Him) and omnipotent, bear witness to Christ, glorify Christ, be wise, give gifts, make promises, fellowship with us, sanctify us, justify us, convict us of sin and righteousness, and edify us? HE dwells in us and communes with us. This is not some impersonal force. Jesus said the Father will send another helper Who will live in you.
It is much more than, "The force is with you!"
Just a force? The force be with you? I think your reading a whole lot into what I say. But let's forget about what either you or I say and see what God says.

Luke 24:49,

And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
That's not my idea. You are endued with power from on high, like it or not. You can energize it or not. It's totally under your control. But I don't think it's talking about Luke Skywalker. :)

Nor did I invent Greek or Hebrew, and the same word used for "spirit" in both languages is also used of "wind" as well as "breath" and a few other words to boot. Look them up. You'll see for yourself. No need to just take my word for it.

Where do the scriptures say tongues is a gift? Read 1 Corinthians 12:7-10 very carefully and I think you'll see that tongues is but one of nine manifestations. Again, not my idea. If you insist on calling a gift what God calls a manifestation you won't really fully understand God's intention for you. Let God decide what tongues is. He's a lot smarter than all of us put together!