Speaking in tongues?

  • Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

    You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JimKnox

Active Member
Jun 27, 2026
524
224
43
Western Idaho
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Sadly, that's very close to the line of claiming the Holy Spirit is actually a demon.

You should at least be honest and let everyone know you have been sitting under ministries of people who are cessationists which are those that choose to walk in unbelief concerning the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Mr. Jackson:
Had you been reading this WHOLE thread you would have learned that I revealed early on that I was in the charismatic movement for the first 10 years of my 46 years of being saved by the blood of Christ.
If you had done that, you would not have dishonestly disparage me.

As I mentioned at that time; I know ALL the tricks of the charismatic apologists/polemicists. You are late to the party and have pulled one of their most heinous tricks out of your hat: i.e. accusing your opponent of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

The "spirit" of ecstatic utterances is NOT the Holy Spirit.
Make of that what you will.
 

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
486
544
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey have you noticed you seem to be saying something different in your prayer language (tongues) depending on what is happening to you? I have noticed sometimes if I am struggling with something I seem to be saying something different in tongues. Also I seem to have 5 different prayer languages and I am able to switch between them by thinking about it. I believe this is scriptural, it is "diversity of tongues" as in the scripture. (1 Corinthians 12:10)
 
  • Haha
Reactions: JimKnox

PeterAndroz

Well-Known Member
May 15, 2026
1,518
395
83
42
Mt Compass Adelaide
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Hey have you noticed you seem to be saying something different in your prayer language (tongues) depending on what is happening to you? I have noticed sometimes if I am struggling with something I seem to be saying something different in tongues. Also I seem to have 5 different prayer languages and I am able to switch between them by thinking about it. I believe this is scriptural, it is "diversity of tongues" as in the scripture. (1 Corinthians 12:10)
Are you able to TRANSLATE what you are saying ?
Are OTHERS in the same room ALSO able to translate you ?
Are you talking in a known language ?
 

PeterAndroz

Well-Known Member
May 15, 2026
1,518
395
83
42
Mt Compass Adelaide
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Sadly, that's very close to the line of claiming the Holy Spirit is actually a demon.

You should at least be honest and let everyone know you have been sitting under ministries of people who are cessationists which are those that choose to walk in unbelief concerning the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Somebody forgot to tell Paul that the 'gifts' were still going.
eg, He was no longer able to heal
 

KUWN

Well-Known Member
Sep 13, 2024
956
296
63
71
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone, do you speak in tongues? I was baptized in the Holy Spirit about 1 week after I got saved, a few days later I was lying in bed when God spoke to me and asked me if I wanted to speak in tongues, I said yes. God got me started and now I can do it at will! Starting off I could only say a few words in tongues but now I have a full-blown language! I also have 5 different tongue languages and I can switch between them by thinking about it! I believe this is "diversity of tongues" as said in the bible! Every day now I walk down each floor of my apartment building praying in tongues, I also go outside and walk down the street praying in tongues. I can feel something shift in the spirit world when I do this! There is an evil presence on 3rd and 2nd floor of my building but it leaves when I go down there and pray in tongues!
Are you a heavy drinker? hehe
 

Berserk

Well-Known Member
Apr 13, 2019
892
651
93
79
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I was Spirit-baptized at age 16, as I tarried at the altar in an amphitheater near Pelikan Lake on a Pentecostal campground.
I was full of doubts and skepticism at the time. But that experience of tongues was BY FAR the high point of my life! The Spirit came upon me in a wind, as I was engulfed by wave after wave of liquid love, each more intense than the last, until it seemed that my; feelble mind was about to be absorbed in an omnipotent divine mind. One witness later told me she couldn'[ stop staring at my face, which was glowing in the darkening amphitheater. A Lutheran minister interrupted me to say he ddin't believe in tongues and was just there as an interested spectator. But I just touched him gently on the forehead and he exploded in other tongues. Now, decades later, I regularly receive stroung nourishment from the very memory of that indescribably awesome experience.
 

JimKnox

Active Member
Jun 27, 2026
524
224
43
Western Idaho
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I was Spirit-baptized at age 16, as I tarried at the altar in an amphitheater near Pelikan Lake on a Pentecostal campground.
I was full of doubts and skepticism at the time. But that experience of tongues was BY FAR the high point of my life! The Spirit came upon me in a wind, as I was engulfed by wave after wave of liquid love, each more intense than the last, until it seemed that my; feelble mind was about to be absorbed in an omnipotent divine mind. One witness later told me she couldn'[ stop staring at my face, which was glowing in the darkening amphitheater. A Lutheran minister interrupted me to say he ddin't believe in tongues and was just there as an interested spectator. But I just touched him gently on the forehead and he exploded in other tongues. Now, decades later, I regularly receive stroung nourishment from the very memory of that indescribably awesome experience.
I didn't say ecstatic utterances didn't exist.
I said they are not Biblical and they are not of God.
I do not deny your 'experience '; it's just not Biblical.
 

Linda

New Member
Sep 9, 2025
57
15
8
76
Ladera Ranch Ca
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer IS the Communication Method For A Human to Speak TO God.

Tongues, is Simply a Language Foreign to the Speaker, but “Understood” by a person “Hearing their Language being Spoken”.

How exactly…
Does “Praying TO God”, in a Language, you neither Know or Understand WHAT you are Saying”…
A Benefit TO A Person, whose Language IS Foreign TO You, and Such Language IS NOT being spoken “TO Such Other person”??

Glory to God,
Taken
Scripture teaches us that in praying in tongues
Edifies God in private prayer, but noone else understands it, so its very private and only
Is understood between ourselves and God.

We pray in moans and groans from
Our spirit that only the Spirit understands,
So it becomes our own utterance to God,
But we dont need to speak in tongues
To God or to man.
 

JimKnox

Active Member
Jun 27, 2026
524
224
43
Western Idaho
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Scripture teaches us that in praying in tongues
Edifies God in private prayer, but noone else understands it, so its very private and only
Is understood between ourselves and God.

We pray in moans and groans from
Our spirit that only the Spirit understands,
So it becomes our own utterance to God,
But we dont need to speak in tongues
To God or to man.
You should go out for the Olympics because that's some fantastic twisty, turning, back bending gymnastics right there!
 
  • Haha
Reactions: GodsGrace

Berserk

Well-Known Member
Apr 13, 2019
892
651
93
79
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Paul said, "i want you all to speak in tongues" and "I thank God I speak in tongues more than all of you."
Paul adds "you can all speak in tongue" and "He who speaks in tongues edifies himself." So what are your waiting for? Or can Paul's spirituality b e safely ignored.?
 

JimKnox

Active Member
Jun 27, 2026
524
224
43
Western Idaho
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Paul said, "i want you all to speak in tongues" and "I thank God I speak in tongues more than all of you."
Paul adds "you can all speak in tongue" and "He who speaks in tongues edifies himself." So what are your waiting for? Or can Paul's spirituality b e safely ignored.?
Paul was rebuking the Corinthians for bringing pagan idolatrous practices into the Church of the Living God.
It is NOT a 'how to' book.
It was a 'shame on you' book.
But of course, Charismatics will deny this fact because they, too, are as guilty as the original Corinthians.
 
Last edited:

Berserk

Well-Known Member
Apr 13, 2019
892
651
93
79
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Paul was rebuking the Corinthians for bringing pagan idolatrous practices into the Church of the Living God.
It is NOT a 'how to' book.
It was a 'shame on you' book.
But of course, Charismatics will deny this fact because they, too, are as guilty as the original Corinthians.

Duh, Psul is responding to a letter from the Corinthians posing
 

Berserk

Well-Known Member
Apr 13, 2019
892
651
93
79
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Read any academic book commentary specifically on 1 Corinthians and you'll see that Paul is responding to questions posed in a letter from the Corinthians on various subjects, including the exercise of spiritual gifts, including tongues: Hence, "now concerning spiritual gifts (12:1)." (12:10."
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pathfinder789

JimKnox

Active Member
Jun 27, 2026
524
224
43
Western Idaho
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Read any academic book commentary specifically on 1 Corinthians and you'll see that Paul is responding to questions posed in a letter from the Corinthians on various subjects, including the exercise of spiritual gifts, including tongues: Hence, "now concerning spiritual gifts (12:1)." (12:10."
Somehow you got the idea that I haven't already done that...but I have, and much more.
Happy daze.
 

Gottservant

Well-Known Member
Oct 19, 2022
2,977
898
113
47
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
@dmdar this thread really blessed me; I was despairing because my schizophrenia makes me unintelligible to myself, but seeing your post I realised "I can speak in ways that only God understands, anyway!"

Thanks.
 

KUWN

Well-Known Member
Sep 13, 2024
956
296
63
71
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said, "i want you all to speak in tongues" and "I thank God I speak in tongues more than all of you."
Paul adds "you can all speak in tongue" and "He who speaks in tongues edifies himself." So what are your waiting for? Or can Paul's spirituality b e safely ignored.?
Isa 28.11 is a reference for the definition of Tongues. Tongues is simply speaking a Gentile language. such as Egyptian or another Gentile language. That is why he was glad he spoke in many Gentile Languages, that is, Paul was evangelizing throughout the Empire by the use of his gift of speaking in Gentile languages (an example of Paul speaking in Gentile languages to the unbelievers. So, speaking in a foreign language is what Tongues primary purpose is all about (in today's terminology it is speaking in German, French, Japanese, etc.). Bear in mind that Paul said that Tongues is not for the believer, but for the unbeliever. That is the primary purpose of Gentile languages, and that is how Paul and Luke defined Tongues. In fact, the term "Tongues" would be better translated "languages." in today's usage. "Tongues" meant "languages" as it did in first century. Watch an old western movie that primary includes Indians, and the Indian will even say, "He speaks in white man's tongue." He simply means a Gentile language."

Remember, tongues/languages are primarily an evangelistic tool used to aid learning the foreign language, enabling a believer (for example) to speak Egyptian. When God wanted some believer to speak a foreign language, he likely will just give that believer that ability to speak (for example) in Japanese without having to learn it, God just gives him a second language to aid in spreading the good news of Jesus.

Finally, according to Heb 2:3,4

3 πῶς ἡμεῖς ἐκφευξόμεθα τηλικαύτης ἀμελήσαντες σωτηρίας, ἥτις, ἀρχὴν λαβοῦσα λαλεῖσθαι διὰ τοῦ κυρίου,
4 ὑπὸ τῶν ἀκουσάντων εἰς ἡμᾶς ἐβεβαιώθη, συνεπιμαρτυροῦντος τοῦ θεοῦ σημείοις τε καὶ τέρασιν καὶ ποικίλαις
δυνάμεσιν καὶ πνεύματος ἁγίου μερισμοῖς κατὰ τὴν αὐτοῦ θέλησιν;

3 how shall we (2nd generation of Christians) escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord (1st generation), was confirmed to us (2nd generation of believers) by those who heard him (1st generation believers). 4 God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles (1st generation of believers), and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.
 
  • Loveit!
Reactions: JimKnox

dmdar

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2025
486
544
93
42
Middletown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey I just got back from walking down each floor of my building praying in tongues, I do this every day! For some reason I was saying something completely different in my tongue language tonight!
 
  • Sad
Reactions: JimKnox