Spiritual Armor Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rest of Belt of Truth scriptures for meditation:

I would pray them like this (edited to personalize to prayer):

Father,

Psalm 145:18
You are near to all who call on You, to all who call on You in Truth.

John 3:21
Let me live by the truth, for I know the one who lives by truth comes into the light, and others can see plainly what I have done has been done in the sight of God.

John 14:6
6 Thank You so much that Jesus is the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Him. I am grateful to have come to You through Jesus Christ.

1 John 2:20
20 Thank You that I have an anointing from the Holy One, as I learn, walk, and speak Your truth.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

Let us all remember to wear the belt if Truth.

Y'all discuss at your desire. :) Ill post some scriptures on the next piece of armor Tuesday.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So grateful that the Lord is with us, because these spiritual forces are invisible.

Here is the next scripture today in meditating in the belt of Truth. I am enjoying reading the responses. I'll have more time Tuesday and Wednesday to really dig into this study deeper.
Invisible to our blind carnal eyes, but what is invisible to the Holy Spirit within us? That is the Lord with us, is it not? This is why Apostle Paul writes:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

When and if we do quench the Spirit, are we not effectively making ourselves blind once again? And remember also what Solomon wrote a thousand years before the Holy Ghost was poured out in Acts 2:

"Where there is no vision, the people perish:..." Prov 29;18

And then again Paul:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is most important to understand is that every piece of armor has its importance...if any piece is missing it exposes a door the enemy can attack and enter through....every piece of armor specifically counters some type of offensive move of the enemy.
About two years ago I quit arguing with my daughter and began to simply use my armor against the evil spirit influencing both of us causing strife and division. Today we have grown much closer and even though there are still disagreements between us it doesn't become a major battle.
There is so much truth in fighting the right fight...fight against the evil influencing our thoughts and actions.
Amen?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a question and an observation regarding the armour of God in which Paul speaks.

Question:
Why is Paul speaking of Armour? Most people accuse Christians of being pacifists. Of always turning the other cheek and never fighting back.
There are all kinds of ways of engaging, even ignoring someone is a form of fighting back.
Why armour?
Paul himself was a soldier? under the rulers of Rome. He sent to Rome for letters to seek out these people that followed the teachings of Jesus.
So what is it about the armour? why reference it at all? He isn't writing to the Romans but to the Ephesians. And why would armour be an important symbolism for them?

Ok one question multiplied by 6.. sorry.

Observation:
Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

When Paul is stating that "we" are not wrestling against "flesh and blood" , is it possible he is speaking of kindred, other Jewish tribes, flesh and blood being more of a blood line connection than the physical body of flesh and blood.
And that the fight was against those who had authority over them. The principles and powers of Rome?

Maybe it's not so much how we been taught to believe what Paul meant. Who was he talking to? Why is armour important?
Who are the authorities?
Was Ephesians written before AD70 and the destruction of Jerusalem?
Was this Paul's way of sending them warning to be ready?

Bake a loaf of bread and put a file in it, to break out of jail.
Talking about Armour with descriptions of peace and salvation, when he is really saying, Buckle up.. war is coming?

He had to get those messages around, through and by all the Roman authorities and those Rome had put in poltical and religious positions.
So what the world would read as "foolishness" was really code for be prepared.

Just thinking..
HUGS
sorry if I divert the thread. It just came to my mind.
Thank You

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is most important to understand is that every piece of armor has its importance...if any piece is missing it exposes a door the enemy can attack and enter through....every piece of armor specifically counters some type of offensive move of the enemy.
About two years ago I quit arguing with my daughter and began to simply use my armor against the evil spirit influencing both of us causing strife and division. Today we have grown much closer and even though there are still disagreements between us it doesn't become a major battle.
There is so much truth in fighting the right fight...fight against the evil influencing our thoughts and actions.
Amen?
Amen!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a question and an observation regarding the armour of God in which Paul speaks.

Question:
Why is Paul speaking of Armour? Most people accuse Christians of being pacifists. Of always turning the other cheek and never fighting back.
There are all kinds of ways of engaging, even ignoring someone is a form of fighting back.
Why armour?
Paul himself was a soldier? under the rulers of Rome. He sent to Rome for letters to seek out these people that followed the teachings of Jesus.
So what is it about the armour? why reference it at all? He isn't writing to the Romans but to the Ephesians. And why would armour be an important symbolism for them?

Observation:
Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

When Paul is stating that "we" are not wrestling against "flesh and blood" , is it possible he is speaking of kindred, other Jewish tribes, flesh and blood being more of a blood line connection than the physical body of flesh and blood.
And that the fight was against those who had authority over them. The principles and powers of Rome?

Maybe it's not so much how we been taught to believe what Paul meant. Who was he talking to? Why is armour important?
Who are the authorities?

Talking about Armour with descriptions of peace and salvation, when he is really saying, Buckle up.. war is coming?

He had to get those messages around, through and by all the Roman authorities and those Rome had put in poltical and religious positions.

Just thinking..
HUGS
Thank You

Interesting thoughts! Ill have to read up. I am off next two days, so sorry for the delay. I have more hours now at work.

Reactions: Ziggy

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thought for the moment. Sitting in the quiet nap area. :)

"So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ‘You will become free’?” Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.
John 8:31‭-‬36 NASB1995

I highlighted verse 31 also, because I see a condition here to continue in the Word of God. When we know the Word and abide in it, we gain more revelation of the Word of God as His disciples. The Truth of the Word of God sets us free. Grateful that Jesus Christ set us free and that we can be His son's and daughters. Bible verse of the day was Romans 6:23. I am so grateful for salvation and for the belt of truth (all armor of God) This site above gave a good prayer for truth. I want this to be my prayer for myself and others as I look on these verses each day this week:

Lord, I pray that you gird me with your truth today. The enemy is the father of lies, and he will try to lead me away from your truth. Help me to meditate on your truth that sets me free!

In Jesus Name, Amen.

(Ephesians 6:10; Ephesians 6: 14)
Hope it’s not too far off topic, but what gets me is their claim they’d never been enslaved by anyone, when Israel spent 400 years In Egyptian bondage.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Question:
Why armour?

Observation:

Who are the authorities?

Just thinking..
HUGS
Thank You
Mostly defensive armour.

"...that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand" Eph 6:13

"Stand therefore,..." Eph 6:14

"Above all, taking the shield..." Eph 6:16

The sword may indeed be the one weapon to be taken up offensively... but mostly it should be used to trim off the dead wood to make more room for the living branches to grow rather than to kill good branches or the living tree. At times of pressing need, it may be necessary to amputate a gangrenous limb to save the whole, but that should always be a last resort. Consult carefully with the great physician before taking that drastic step.

Reactions: Ziggy and Mayflower

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what I have preached for years. Ephesians 6:10-18 was my signature profile at one time when my avatar was a warrior.
Daily the enemy seeks who he may destroy but we have the armor of God and it protects us and gives us the victory over the enemies attacks!

You do know what Paul means by praying in the spirit in verse 18?

Eph 6:18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

He means this:

1Co 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Just thought I’d point that out, since it’s part of our armor.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do know what Paul means by praying in the spirit in verse 18?

Eph 6:18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

He means this:

1Co 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Just thought I’d point that out, since it’s part of our armor.
Yes I know what it is and I do that all the time. Thanks for your input...prayer is what binds all the ingredients together...amen!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can imagine those days were pretty tense. Christians were being slaughtered. Used in "Games" to satisfy the "Elite"

It may be that Paul's letters hold dual meanings. Those that are in the Now.. meaning in His day, and also for those that would survive.. Our Day.
A house divided against itself could be both a spiritual and a political reality.

Was Paul's day a prelude or coming attraction of our day?

Stand in the evil day.
Having done all to stand, stand.

The mission of the gospel was to go in all the world and preach the good news of God's Kingdom. His mercy, His love, His grace.
But they would have to survive weeks, months, years, centuries.. to fulfill it.
Wouldn't be much good if everyone just laid down their weapons, spiritual or otherwise, to get that message around the world.

Divided we fall. A house on sand.
The armour of God is necessary to keep us united in the faith and to keep us standing upon the Rock.

Wars and rumours of wars..
Both spiritual and physical.
If you lose hope, what good is winning a war?

thinking..
HUGS

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Invisible to our blind carnal eyes, but what is invisible to the Holy Spirit within us? That is the Lord with us, is it not? This is why Apostle Paul writes:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

When and if we do quench the Spirit, are we not effectively making ourselves blind once again? And remember also what Solomon wrote a thousand years before the Holy Ghost was poured out in Acts 2:

"Where there is no vision, the people perish:..." Prov 29;18

And then again Paul:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

Why is it that when I post scripture, they end up an underlined link in the post, and they can be clicked on and it goes to that scripture, but the ones you posted aren’t doing that?

Reactions: amadeus

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Question:
Why armour?

Observation:

Who are the authorities?

Just thinking..
HUGS
Thank You

You’re mixing up physical, flesh and blood warfare - and Christians wrongly thinking we have to be complete pacifists, and not defend ourselves physically - with the SPIRITUAL warfare against demonic spirits: the devil, principalities, powers, etc, that’s in Ephesians 6.

Paul specifically says, we fight NOT against flesh and blood - but against demonic spirits, with spiritual weapons, not physical weapons.

Shalom Aleichem

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are most certainly right about that mayflower. The truth of God sets us free; and the holy spirit comes in our lives and changes us from with-in being born again with a new spiritual nature that allows us to walk in newness of life in reliance in leaning on and trusting God. That includes praying, reading the word of God, having fellowship with others, and ultimately loving God which leads to being directed to love others regardless of who they are; without dipping into having judgement and grudges and fighting with others.

When first becoming a Christian as a babe in Christ I still judged and condemned others however that was my fleshly side doing that and the spiritual side had yet really grown at the point in life. The spirit grows like a seed in the grown; until it become fully grown and mature.

Here is some scripture I would share with you mayflower:

Romans 8:6-11 -
6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. 10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

What are you or anyone elses thoughts on this? Please feel free to share with us here by posting: I understand that this for of communication is very limited in the scope of not hearing others and their stories and their struggles in life but hopefully it is encouraging.

The context of Romans 7 and 8 is that Paul makes clear that AFTER we have been saved, there is a continuing conflict between our wanting to walk in the flesh, and wants us to live in sin, per Romans 7 - and our desire to walk after the Holy Spirit that now dwells in us - and Paul warns that choosing to live in sins (works of the flesh), will result in spiritual death.

If we as believers choose to walk after the flesh, and live carnally, we will die spiritually - but if we choose to walk after the spirit, we will have everlasting life:

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Having a carnal mind is enmity against God, is the warning to the brethren there.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree Curtis. Even though if a believer choose to instead indulge in sin, what do you think are the effects of that believer who decided to do what they wanted in this life, what would be their rewards in the next life ? Does the Bible speak of it?

What are your thoughts? Will God reward them justly? Will they be punished forever and ever in the lake of fire? Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

I agree though with you as a believer myself I find that sowing to the spirit is more beneficial to sowing to the flesh.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree Curtis. Even though if a believer choose to instead indulge in sin, what do you think are the effects of that believer who decided to do what they wanted in this life, what would be their rewards in the next life ? Does the Bible speak of it?

What are your thoughts? Will God reward them justly? Will they be punished forever and ever in the lake of fire? Would like to hear your thoughts on that.

I agree though with you as a believer myself I find that sowing to the spirit is more beneficial to sowing to the flesh.

Well, one of many warnings to the brethren is found in Hebrews, where Paul - or whoever wrote it - warns for believers not to harden their hearts by the deceitfulness of sin, and thus DEPART from the living God:

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, IF we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast UNTO the end;

Baruch HaShem HaMaschiach Y’eshua

Reactions: Mayflower

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curtis I understand that. If a person just completely gives up their faith and no longer communicates with God and they become harden in their heart. ( I believe they will be resurrected outside the kingdom of God if they decide they do not desire anything to do with God and God will allow that to be for he is loving and just.) including a loss of spiritual reward.

However let me just say I am talking about believers who are not mature in the faith but they have faith and they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

They just can’t seem to get over the things in their flesh but inwardly they call out to God.

Yes they might still indulge their flesh but who is to say their heart has been completely turned off to God?

What do you believe their destination will be ?

Really curious cause God is starting to blow my mind right now with all of these things, friend.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please be careful to stay on topic. I know that Osas versus not can be hot and easy to get off into. I've thought about it lately. But I think the aspect of armor concerning this topic is more the importance on walking in Truth rather then in the desires of the flesh as it pertains to this life as a believer. Walking according to the flesh rather then the spirit renders a Christian defenseless in areas.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know one thing for sure in just treading carefully here, that you feel condemnation intentionally sinning against God as a Christian and lose rewards in Heaven. I think many Christians will be weeping there. I think we cannot judge if someone is going to Hell or not. But what example are we leaving others to follow. Are we pointing others to Christ/Heaven? Teaching them to put on their armor?

Good morning. :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it that when I post scripture, they end up an underlined link in the post, and they can be clicked on and it goes to that scripture, but the ones you posted aren’t doing that?
Your chapter and book designations or abbreviations link, I believe to the Bible within this forum. I have never used that Bible program. I have a Bible program on a CD which I purchased and downloaded into my computer more than 20 years ago [putting it on newer computers as needed]. I have always used it, simply copying and pasting from it for years on forums, many which did not have their own linked Bibles. Mine works the same for me no matter which forum I am on...