Stake your claim

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Here's something you can sink your teeth into.

If I can do nothing of my own to conquer my sin nature, if Jesus only requires faith & belief in him for me to gain victory, why didn't I gain victory? If I believed in him to the best of my abilities and put faith in what I knew of him, why didn't that make a difference?

There's nothing I can do other than believe, right? Well I've done that, so what's wrong here. Since I can't cure my sinfulness myself, all I could do is wait on Jesus. Repentance (To turn around) doesn't make that much sense. I can't change my sinful nature or do anything to conquer sin, right? Because if I could I couldn't claim that Jesus did anything.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

If I can do nothing of my own to conquer my sin nature, if Jesus only requires faith & belief in him for me to gain victory, why didn't I gain victory? If I believed in him to the best of my abilities and put faith in what I knew of him, why didn't that make a difference?

There's nothing I can do other than believe, right? Well I've done that, so what's wrong here. Since I can't cure my sinfulness myself, all I could do is wait on Jesus. Repentance (To turn around) doesn't make that much sense. I can't change my sinful nature or do anything to conquer sin, right? Because if I could I couldn't claim that Jesus did anything.

The problem is that you are honest. :)

A lot of people are defeated but just don't admit it. They hide behind religious facades.

But you have not been taught correctly...is all.

Believing in Jesus is not a source of power. Believing INTO Jesus is.

Jesus in you is the start. But the full measure of grace comes by entering into Christ...into the power of His life that He perfected in this world.

It is by faith....but you must go to God and surrender your life...and wait upon Him to come down and bring you up...to translate you into the kingdom.

people don't preach that because they are unaware of what it means to walk in the Spirit.

I'm not saying it's easy. But if you NEED God enough He will hear your prayer.

Reactions: faithfulness

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God is timeless. We are not...that is until and unless we are born again of His spirit.

So, as such, if you have not finished the time allotted to you believing, then that belief will not be accredited to you, for the end result is that you do not believe. In other words, your belief was counted as a sham. That is why it is referred to as a leap of faith...because you must commit and not look back. Only when you have, will He make good on His promise.

You see...when and if you are born again of the spirit of God, you transition like a caterpillar to a butterfly, leaving behind your former self. But this, you did not do...which is evident, for one cannot return to their former self any more than a butterfly cannot return again to become a caterpillar.

Last edited:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Patience, djstav. If you remain in Christ He will remain in you.
Not one follower of Christ ever achieves sinless perfection this side of heaven, despite what some denominations claim. Every time we repent of sin we are wholly sanctified but the conflict between the flesh and the spirit continues and we are exhorted to examine ourselves to see what needs to be corrected, and cast off every weight and the sin that does so easily beset us...not just once...but all the time, day and night because currently the accuser of the brethren accuses us before God day and night.
2Co 13:4-9
(4) For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.
(5) Examine yourselves, whether you be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know you not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except you be reprobates?
(6) But I trust that you shall know that we are not reprobates.
(7) Now I pray to God that you do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that you should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.
(8) For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.
(9) For we are glad, when we are weak, and you are strong: and this also we wish, even your perfection.

Heb 12:1-4
(1) Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which does so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
(2) Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
(3) For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest you be wearied and faint in your minds.
(4) You have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

Rev 12:7-11
(7) And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
(8) And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
(9) And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
(10) And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
(11) And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.