Street preaching

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians street preach?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
What are your thoughts about street preaching?
Is it foolish or does it glorify God?
Is street preaching biblical?

Share your thoughts and scripture regarding the topic.

Reactions: shortangel

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My answer would be geared this way.

Does it gloryify God or man?

Is the Spirit involved in the leading or the flesh?

Is this orderly, for He is not a God of confusion & chaos?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people already have heard the story of the Son of God...

He came, died, was buried and raised again...

- People who are out there street preaching are doing whatever they are lead to do.

Is it effective? I have no idea.

What is effective - honest evaluation of the scripture.

Least also asked some good questions.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
My answer would be geared this way.

Does it gloryify God or man?

Is the Spirit involved in the leading or the flesh?

Is this orderly, for He is not a God of confusion & chaos?

Whether or not it is the spirit or the flesh would depend on each individual circumstance.
But that question alone leads me to think that there is a place for street preaching because if the Spirit leads something, in those cases it isn't wrong.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree... IF THE SPIRIT LEADS!

I am no ones judge but it seems to me we can share the gospel which is our commission in many quiet ways.

Talking to the homeless while giving them coats, blankets & food in Jesus name.

Visiting shut ins & elderly lonely ppl . Forgotten ones I call them.

Volunteeing at the soup kitchen or working with throw away street children ect ect.

When Jesus ministered, and many of the Apostles, ppl came to them with their needs bc they had heard of WHAT GOD CAN DO. ( not preaching) Curoisity.

Our compassionate Lord fed groups of ppl out of little, he was touched by the infirmed and grief stricken. The rejects of society were his friends.

So I ask again.........
Is it flesh or Spirit led ? We must test all spirits.

Who will receive glory. Pride destroys.

Is it orderly ? ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

Standing on a street corner, which may be illegal in places, and screaming God's word until your hoarse seems to me...look I said seems to me, a little out there.

I just said in another thread...
DO NOT LISTEN TO ME BUT SEEK GOD'S WILL THROUGH PRAYER & THE WORD.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The answer should come from the apostles and Christ. Were they preaching on the streets of the cities which they visited? Absolutely. Was Christ preaching on the streets of the cities and villages which He visited? Absolutely. End of story.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think as Christians, .... we probably should.

It's something that's been on my mind for a long time. I can present, but I don't love it; neither did Paul for some time, I guess.

One of the huge benefits is the complete lack of censorship. And I agree that it's one of the most pure ways for the Spirit to flow through you and send a message.

Despite my reluctance, something tells me it would be one of the most amazing experiences someone could have if they were to do it willingly, in humility and submission to the Spirit. How much closer could you ever feel to God than to have Him speak right through you to the world?

Location would be very important though. I personally believe speaking to a crowd of atheists is a complete waste of time, but others would argue there's no better crowd to speak to. We can't save, only God can; and nobody can come to Christ unless they are drawn to Him. I guess it is the hearing of the Word that sifts those people out of the crowd, though.

No, not everyone should teach, but the Bible also gives us the other side of that sentiment. That we should be ready and willing, in season and out of season, to share our testimony and all that we understand about God and His Word.

I say more power to any and all who attempt it in faith and with a passion for the Truth.

Are you considering Street Preaching?

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have heard of street preachers in the U.K. who have been arrested for shareing their views on a certain issue, i know there is a street preacher who has had many gatherings in Washington D.C., i think street preaching is good as long as The Holy Spirit is leading them & they talk about Jesus & not start screaming at people

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
The answer should come from the apostles and Christ. Were they preaching on the streets of the cities which they visited? Absolutely. Was Christ preaching on the streets of the cities and villages which He visited? Absolutely. End of story.

Bingo! I was asking for opinions that is the reason I was going to wait for us to get to that conclusion cause I know it would be the end of the discussion.
To answer Gen2Rev I am not planning on street preaching.
Well folks, carry on with the discussion keeping in mind that Enoch pretty much put a nail in the coffin for the answer.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I see no need to muzzle those who'd like to talk about the Lord. First you muzzle a little. Then you muzzle more. Then you forbid anyone from talking about the Lord at all.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Street preaching is good and biblical. But I came to the LORD Jesus via by a comicbook tract. I believe there are many ways we can reach others with the Word of God. Nicodemus was just having a personal conversation with Jesus. I believe a person should try to reach others for Jesus in any way that fits their natural talents and by the leading of the Spirit.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

If people feel it's their calling or gift, go for it..:)

"We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us.
If your gift is preaching, then preach in accordance with your faith,
if it is serving, then serve,
if it is teaching, then teach,
if it is to encourage, then give encouragement,
if it is giving, then give generously,
if it is to lead, do it diligently,
if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully" (Romans 12:6-8)

Here's street preacher Kirk "Captain" Roberts in action in Leicester UK, he's just an ordinary bloke who's never been to theology college or anything..:)

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The disciples preached in the streets ... where there are crowds, it is likely to get someone's ear. Although the location, content of your message, the attitude of your heart is important. Do you have the gift to preach or evangelize? Because if you are not gifted, it seems forced.
I used to catch some street preachers now and then that people just ignored. They sounded angry, threatening people with the fires of hell ... not a good approach - beating people over the head with the Bible. And then choosing rich areas like Manhattan Bch, or Huntington Beach, CA. seemed ineffective no matter how good you were. Eph. 4:11 tells us that not everyone can do this effectively unless they are gifted. The Holy Spirit needs to work through you. I don't have these gifts, I've tried handing out tracts in various places but felt like it was a waste of time. Yet the Church would tell you that God's word does not go out void, so you never know. Someone might take the tract home or your message and really think about it at a later time? You have to have a calling for this, a passion.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I think, as in everything else, street preaching will only be successful only if it is done in weakness trusting in God for the strength. Of itself it is just demeaning unless God has instigated it in a specific, rather than, general way. I've seen them in my town centre and although it seems to be a good thing to do, it can actually turn people off if it isn't done in the strength of the Spirit.