• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From my own life, there have been many times before having come to God where I believed that I was above others. Pride in having come to know the Lord Jesus even, and looking down on other people. Even as a Christian, looking down on other people because they perhaps had done bad things, like drugs, or drinking, and despised them.

Pride, is something that comes about that starts off in our heart. Now is it okay to have pride in something you accomplished? There is nothing wrong with this, in light of what God has done for you, and perhaps being a parent and helping your son how to speak or learn homework. Or perhaps overcoming an obstacles that pervious hindered you before. There is nothing wrong with this again in light of looking to God, and being humbled in his light. Not to become prideful, because of something you have done and to down play the other doesn't seem right in my best estimation.

Being honest, humble, transparent, before God, and before Man is a good thing.

My life use to be prideful against anything the things of God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, even over my own mother (thinking I would never have to work and she would), thinking that I was better than my (sister) though we both bleed the same blood, along with also thinking I was better than my (brother).

So with this I can be open and honest with you all that I have had trouble with this from my fleshy and also in the sense of spiritual pride.

I use to be someone who would boast and be prideful, but not so much anymore. Though some look at me as though I may not know anything, that I am just some punk kid who just does whatever he desires to do, and God created me, and by his grace I am what I am. He is the only one who ever came into my life through His Son Jesus Christ who had changed me, though sometimes my flesh still can come up. It is best to abide in Christ which is totally a choice on our own individual part.

I am not God; nor am I ever equal to God, just because his spirit lives with-in me, to be humble, gentle, kind, lowly is what he desires for us to by and through the spirit because of Christ Jesus. God helps us through our lives, and he deserves every respect for having kept us alive, through our very birth until now to this day. To Thank God for helping us to get through the things he helped us get through, throughout our bad choices or even good choices - He deserves the glory, praise, and lets give thanks to Him for it all, friend.

There are seven things that God detestable to him:

Proverbs 6:16-19
New International Version

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

What are some of your thoughts?
Are there some scriptures you would like to share for this study?

Reactions: BeyondET and Nancy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 6:16-19
English Standard Version

16 There are six things that the Lord hates,
seven that are an abomination to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,​

In this Proverb 16, the first thing mentioned here is:

There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to Him.

Abomination = a thing that causes disgust or hatred.

The very first thing that is mention is haughty eyes. In other words a Proud look. Proud, vain, arrogant, conceited, snobbish, stuck-up, pompous.

These scripture describe what the LIVING GOD HATES.
Proverbs 30:13 A generation—how high are their eyes, || Indeed, their eyelids are lifted up.

This can describe even our generation today. How high are their eyes, and indeed, their eyelids are lifted up.

God hates, and finds the haughty eyes of a person - in which a person can only look down at others, and believes they are lower than them. What a tough thing here... as a person who has been proud in his own heart and still struggles with it.

If there is a God - you must think these things matter to Him!

So if you are some one who struggles with this, call out to God and tell him about it and allow to help you change your heart, and become humble before him as you are given life by him every day.

In
Psalms 10:4 (LSV)
4 The wicked does not inquire according to the height of his face. “There is no God!” [are] all his schemes.

In this Psalms - the Wicked does not inquire according to the height of his face. "There is not God! [are] all his schemes.

There are people today even in the Christian faith, that can become prideful in that they believe they are God themselves, of course this scripture is talking about wicked however even the Pharisee, and the publican went through this in the story by Jesus. (Luke 18:9-14)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Pslams 18:

25 To the faithful you show yourself faithful,
to the blameless you show yourself blameless,
26 to the pure you show yourself pure,
but to the devious you show yourself shrewd.
27 You save the humble
but bring low those whose eyes are haughty.​

The Psalmist said here To the faithful you show yourself faithful, to the blameless you show yourself blameless, to the pure you should yourself pure,

but to the devious you should yourself shrewd. You save the humble but bring low those who eyes are haughty.

The first three verses remind me of the Sermon on the Mount when Jesus had spoke to his disciples about blessed are the poor, blessed are those who mourn.

It seems here the Psalmist talking about God says to those who are dives you should yourself shrewd, (reminds me of the Parable of the Shrewd Manager).

Shrewd stands for in the English Dictionary : having or showing sharp power of Judgements : astute (of weather) piercingly cold.

So those who deal by deviousness with God they are dealt with shrewdly, God saves the humble but brings low those who eyes are haughty - proud - vain - concieted.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Listen to what Isaiah said about the women in his day, not to single out just women but men can also be prideful too.

Isaiah 3:16 (LSV)
16 “Because that daughters of Zion have been haughty, || And they walk stretching out the neck, || And deceiving [with] the eyes, || They go walking and mincing, || And they make a jingling with their feet,

The Daughters of Zion have been haughty, and they walk stretching out the neck,

deceiving with the eyes,

they go walking about mincing, and they make a jinging with their feet.

Does this sound kind of the day we live in too? IF you ever go and look on Facebook, or Tiktok or some thing things that we have to use, can you see these same things perhaps through the news? Through Pride rallies and the things like that?

Sure you have, and though people may go and try to fight the world and its struggles and the darkness, the only thing we can do is be humble, sharing the Lord and showing them his love, and sharing how he had humbled us in this life.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From my own life, there have been many times before having come to God where I believed that I was above others. Pride in having come to know the Lord Jesus even, and looking down on other people. Even as a Christian, looking down on other people because they perhaps had done bad things, like drugs, or drinking, and despised them.

Pride, is something that comes about that starts off in our heart. Now is it okay to have pride in something you accomplished? There is nothing wrong with this, in light of what God has done for you, and perhaps being a parent and helping your son how to speak or learn homework. Or perhaps overcoming an obstacles that pervious hindered you before. There is nothing wrong with this again in light of looking to God, and being humbled in his light. Not to become prideful, because of something you have done and to down play the other doesn't seem right in my best estimation.

My life use to be prideful against anything the things of God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, even over my own mother (thinking I would never have to work and she would), thinking that I was better than my (sister) though we both bleed the same blood, along with also thinking I was better than my (brother).

So with this I can be open and honest with you all that I have had trouble with this from my fleshy and also in the sense of spiritual pride.

I use to be someone who would boast and be prideful, but not so much anymore. Though some look at me as though I may not know anything, that I am just some punk kid who just does whatever he desires to do, and God created me, and by his grace I am what I am. He is the only one who ever came into my life through His Son Jesus Christ who had changed me, though sometimes my flesh still can come up. It is best to abide in Christ which is totally a choice on our own individual part.

I am not God; nor am I ever equal to God, just because his spirit lives with-in me, to be humble, gentle, kind, lowly is what he desires for us to by and through the spirit because of Christ Jesus. God helps us through our lives, and he deserves every respect for having kept us alive, through our very birth until now to this day. To Thank God for helping us to get through the things he helped us get through, throughout our bad choices or even good choices - He deserves the glory, praise, and lets give thanks to Him for it all, friend.

Hello Matthew,
You hit many nails on the head, pride can be good or bad and it is ugly when it is the flesh.
You hit pretty much every scripture verse I could ever find especially the 7 detestable things God hates.
Thank you for pouring your heart out bro!
In Him,
nancy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Matthew,
You hit many nails on the head, pride can be good or bad and it is ugly when it is the flesh.
You hit pretty much every scripture verse I could ever find especially the 7 detestable things God hates.
Thank you for pouring your heart out bro!
In Him,
nancy

Praise be to God for his truth my sister Nancy.

It’s important to reflect on the fact that God is living, He is an alive and active God. He watches and sees how individuals are going to react to certain situations and what they decide to do.

Will they choose to include God in the situation, by and the Holy Spirit that comes in the mighty name of our Lord and King?

Will they choose to disinclined the benefit that God can provide them by the Holy Spirit?

That is what life always seems to boil down to.

Either including the active and living God in one’s life, or not doing so, it seems there are benefits to having Him in one’s life (though that is not to say it made easier), and there are consequences to disallowing Him to be in one’s life.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise be to God for his truth my sister Nancy.

It’s important to reflect on the fact that God is living, He is an alive and active God. He watches and sees how individuals are going to react to certain situations and what they decide to do.

Will they choose to include God in the situation, by and the Holy Spirit that comes in the mighty name of our Lord and King?

Will they choose to disinclined the benefit that God can provide them by the Holy Spirit?

That is what life always seems to boil down to.

Either including the active and living God in one’s life, or not doing so, it seems there are benefits to having Him in one’s life (though that is not to say it made easier), and there are consequences to disallowing Him to be in one’s life.
Ditto Matthew, agree with all you said above.

Reactions: MatthewG

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I can relate to what you shared. You mentioned about how there is nothing wrong with being prideful of overcoming obstacles that have hindered you. This I can relate to also. For me it is when it changes from being thankful to God…to forgetting how those obstacles were overcome. Like the proverb (paraphrasing) Lord give me enough to eat that I don’t go hungry and steal, but don’t let me become so full I forget You.

good thread topic Hangingthank you for sharing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can relate to what you shared. You mentioned about how there is nothing wrong with being prideful of overcoming obstacles that have hindered you. This I can relate to also. For me it is when it changes from being thankful to God…to forgetting how those obstacles were overcome. Like the proverb (paraphrasing) Lord give me enough to eat that I don’t go hungry and steal, but don’t let me become so full I forget You.

good thread topic Hangingthank you for sharing!

Thank you also for sharing VictoryinJesus. Your name rings true for those who trust in our Lord and King, who’s words can cut down into our soul which humbles a person if they allow them to. However as we at times can be stubborn we can put up a defense and not allow his words to have any effect as though we are on the same level as Him.

This is false, all of us are broken, and are in need of healing, which always found in what Jesus brings for to us in our lives. Which is His righteousness. Never our own though we can do righteous thing as human beings no one can be made right with God without the Lord, for those who have been able to have access to the scriptures that are out there today.

May God be praised over all.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you also for sharing VictoryinJesus. Your name rings true for those who trust in our Lord and King, who’s words can cut down into our soul which humbles a person if they allow them to. However as we at times can be stubborn we can put up a defense and not allow his words to have any effect as though we are on the same level as Him.

This is false, all of us are broken, and are in need of healing, which always found in what Jesus brings for to us in our lives. Which is His righteousness. Never our own though we can do righteous thing as human beings no one can be made right with God without the Lord, for those who have been able to have access to the scriptures that are out there today.

May God be praised over all.

your topic on: the study of pride —humbleness

I’m not sure if you brought up 2 Corinthians 12:16-21, 2 Corinthians 13 also. Regarding your topic which I meant it when I said it is a good topic always to revisit. I needed it this morning so I’m sorry if this post gets long-winded. I’m not trying to convince anyone but this morning I’m taking another look myself at your topic…thinking, 2 Corinthians 12 and 13 are a good place to do that. Point is… I’m only sharing this for what it is worth. since it is what it speaks to me I’m paraphrasing (wrong or right) what it says to me. Many may say…well that isn’t for today but to me that is like suggesting: a lesson in humbleness is not useful for today. One thing I do get from 2 Corinthians 12 and 13 is there isn’t a secret sauce to humbleness…remembering that the word also speaks of a false humility. That it is God who humbles…as in to be abased or abounding.

continued…
It may take a moment to post what 2 Corinthians 12 and 13 says to me… why I feel it is important to your topic of a study in humbleness which (Imo) Paul lays out openly in 2 Corinthians 12 and 13.

Reactions: ChristisGod

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have I take advantage of you?
Did Titus whom I sent to you take advantage of you?

all this time you have been thinking that we are defending ourselves to you.

actually, it is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ —and all of this was not in defending ourselves but for your edification, for your building up. (Not as we are building up debates, strife, endings, wraths, back-biting, whispering, swells, tumults) but in the sight of God we have been speaking Christ.

beloved, I don’t seek your things as you suppose. But instead I seek you.

But I fear when I come I will find you not as I wish—finding you full of debates, strife, envy, wrath,back-biting, whispers, swells, and tumults.

and I will be found by you not as you wish.
I’m afraid when I come again my God will humiliate me before you, and I will mourn over many who have not repented and turned from those things they have practiced: back-biting, wraths, envy’s, whispers, swelling and tulmults…

you seek proof of the Christ who speaks in me. Who is not weak toward you but mighty in you. Yet you, trust in those things which are opposite of the Christ which you claim to have faith in. You attack me. You attack Titus. you attack Christ. Yet, you want proof that Christ speaks in me.

indeed. he was crucified because of weakness. Yet He lives because of the power of God.

likewise we also are weak in Him.
Yet we live with Him because of the power of God [directed] towards you.

Paul goes into
Test yourselves if you are in the Faith. [to see] to me that “to see” is an urging of hope

do you not recognize Jesus Christ is not in you unless you fail the test. Unless you are humbled? —so where comes all this I hear…which I do not wish for you? Debates, back-biting (your devouring and consuming of each other), the swellings, envying, whispering …why do you persecute me? why do you persecute Titus whom I sent to you for your edification? Why do you persecute the gospel of Christ?

Yet I trust
You will see
Test yourselves [to see] if you are in the Faith.
I trust you will see we do not fail the test.
Not as you wish, being weak (humbled among you by God) for this we desire, your perfecting, building up in Him.
Yet you still continue to come at those who are not using you to make gain of you, and continue in that we defend ourselves…but just as Titus whom I sent, I also do this, and all things, FOR YOU, for your edification, for your building up which power God has given to me … not for destruction but for your edification. Why do you go about to destroy me? Why do you go about to destroy Titus? Why do you go about to destroy the gospel of Christ?

you seek proof of the Christ who speaks in me — even Christ said humbled yourselves you filthy sinners and Christ will lift you up.

we hope this of you
Not as you accuse, for ourselves
Calling us reprobate
We pray to God that you do no wrong, not that we are commending ourselves to you, beloved..but we pray to God on your behalf, that you be made complete, given all things in Him.

but this we hope that you do what is right
Even though we may appear unapproved (not as you wished, as reprobate)

we do nothing against the truth
But only have power given for the truth, beloved.

we rejoice when we are weak
But you are strong …this we hope and pray that you be made complete in Him. Take a look at yourselves [to see] turn away from debates, back-biting, envy, whispering, tumults and wrath…be made complete in Him.
We rejoice when we are weak but you are strong. We pray …also that you be made strong, perfected, in our weakness among you and this: Titus will (continue) to do whom I sent to you, and I will (continue) to do, as you want proof of Christ speaking in me. For when I asked God to remove the thorn, His answer was “My strength is made perfect, made complete in weakness.” I fear, My God will humiliate me when I come to you that I may wail and not find you as I had hoped. Yet, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. For I am persuaded “when I am weak, then I am strong.” (Be His power directed mightily at you, beloved.)

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Comes to mind . . .

Luke 17:10 KJV
10) So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

actually, it is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ —and all of this was not in defending ourselves but for your edification, for your building up. (Not as we are building up debates, strife, endings, wraths, back-biting, whispering, swells, tumults) but in the sight of God we have been speaking Christ.

But I fear when I come I will find you not as I wish—finding you full of debates, strife, envy, wrath,back-biting, whispers, swells, and tumults.

I’m afraid when I come again my God will humiliate me before you, and I will mourn over many who have not repented and turned from those things they have practiced: back-biting, wraths, envy’s, whispers, swelling and tulmults…

you seek proof of the Christ who speaks in me. Who is not weak toward you but mighty in you. Yet you, trust in those things which are opposite of the Christ which you claim to have faith in. You attack me. You attack Titus. you attack Christ. Yet, you want proof that Christ speaks in me.

indeed. he was crucified because of weakness. Yet He lives because of the power of God.

Paul goes into
Test yourselves if you are in the Faith. [to see] to me that “to see” is an urging of hope

do you not recognize Jesus Christ is not in you unless you fail the test. Unless you are humbled? —so where comes all this I hear…which I do not wish for you? Debates, back-biting (your devouring and consuming of each other), the swellings, envying, whispering …why do you persecute me? why do you persecute Titus whom I sent to you for your edification? Why do you persecute the gospel of Christ?

Yet I trust
You will see
Not as you wish, being weak (humbled among you by God) for this we desire, your perfecting, building up in Him.
Yet you still continue to come at those who are not using you to make gain of you, and continue in that we defend ourselves…but just as Titus whom I sent, I also do this, and all things, FOR YOU, for your edification, for your building up which power God has given to me … not for destruction but for your edification. Why do you go about to destroy me? Why do you go about to destroy Titus? Why do you go about to destroy the gospel of Christ?

you seek proof of the Christ who speaks in me — even Christ said humbled yourselves you filthy sinners and Christ will lift you up.

we hope this of you
Calling us reprobate
We pray to God that you do no wrong, not that we are commending ourselves to you, beloved..but we pray to God on your behalf, that you be made complete, given all things in Him.

But you are strong …this we hope and pray that you be made complete in Him. Take a look at yourselves [to see] turn away from debates, back-biting, envy, whispering, tumults and wrath…be made complete in Him.
We rejoice when we are weak but you are strong. We pray …also that you be made strong, perfected, in our weakness among you and this: Titus will (continue) to do whom I sent to you, and I will (continue) to do, as you want proof of Christ speaking in me. For when I asked God to remove the thorn, His answer was “My strength is made perfect, made complete in weakness.” I fear, My God will humiliate me when I come to you that I may wail and not find you as I had hoped. Yet, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. For I am persuaded “when I am weak, then I am strong.” (Be His power directed mightily at you, beloved.)
2 Corinthians 13:4 KJV
[4] For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.
This specifically stands out to me. When I watch @MatthewG on this forum being attacked daily.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[4] For though he was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him, but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you.
This specifically stands out to me. When I watch @MatthewG on this forum being attacked daily.
Attaching a person is called ad hominems . Attacking one’s arguments/ doctrine is debating like Paul did on Mars Hill . It’s called in biblical terms contending for the faith once and for all delivered to the saints . I don’t attack Matthew personally , only his doctrines . I actually like his zeal , his ambition, persistence etc ….

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Attaching a person is called ad hominems . Attacking one’s arguments/ doctrine is debating like Paul did on Mars Hill . It’s called in biblical terms contending for the faith once and for all delivered to the saints . I don’t attack Matthew personally , only his doctrines . I actually like his zeal , his ambition, persistence etc ….

Hello Christophany,

An attack is still an attack either way it goes. As I admire your comments about me, everything that I try to present is for the glory of God, and not myself if possible.

What is interesting is that many people take "contending for the faith" scripture as like in a boxing match, where one will win over the other. It should be taken as contending by and through reasoning and logic, but some people may differ with their approach as you are your own individual person and decide how you present yourself when you comment towards other people.

May God be praised.

Reactions: marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello waiting on Him,

Thank you for sharing the scripture you shared here.

Your scripture reminds me of this one Paul wrote to the Galatians:

2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Of course, the Son of God gave his life for all the world, people just decide if they will accept his death on their behalf or not and seek to follow after Him by Faith.

Reactions: Waiting on him

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Comes to mind . . .

Luke 17:10 KJV
10) So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Much love!

Hello Marks,

What does Yeshua speak to you about with that scripture?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
your topic on: the study of pride —humbleness

I’m not sure if you brought up 2 Corinthians 12:16-21, 2 Corinthians 13 also. Regarding your topic which I meant it when I said it is a good topic always to revisit. I needed it this morning so I’m sorry if this post gets long-winded. I’m not trying to convince anyone but this morning I’m taking another look myself at your topic…thinking, 2 Corinthians 12 and 13 are a good place to do that. Point is… I’m only sharing this for what it is worth. since it is what it speaks to me I’m paraphrasing (wrong or right) what it says to me. Many may say…well that isn’t for today but to me that is like suggesting: a lesson in humbleness is not useful for today. One thing I do get from 2 Corinthians 12 and 13 is there isn’t a secret sauce to humbleness…remembering that the word also speaks of a false humility. That it is God who humbles…as in to be abased or abounding.

continued…
It may take a moment to post what 2 Corinthians 12 and 13 says to me… why I feel it is important to your topic of a study in humbleness which (Imo) Paul lays out openly in 2 Corinthians 12 and 13.

Paul goes into

Yet I trust
You will see

we hope this of you
Calling us reprobate

Thank you VictoryinJesus, for sharing these things here with everyone on the board.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pride can cause tremendous trouble when people start trying to grab power because of their pride.