Studying the Bible without thinking critically

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
When was the end of the world (age) to come? That was the question the disciples asked Jesus.
Jesus had already told them that some of them would still be living when he came.

Jesus went farther when he said the temple would be destroyed when they saw the abomination of desolation that Daniel had spoken, then the end was near.

The end of the age of law, was over the day the temple was destroyed!
well...a good literal reading i guess. Yet we are more under the law than ever, huh?
fwiw there is another way to read that, that applies to self

after all the kingdom was made vassal long before 70 ad, yeh

hermeneutics

Nov 29, 2019
western arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well...a good literal reading i guess. Yet we are more under the law than ever, huh?
fwiw there is another way to read that, that applies to self

after all the kingdom was made vassal long before 70 ad, yeh

No, we are not under the law. Many people were still saying that the of the world had not come. In fact there is no end of the world, only end of the age.

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
No, we are not under the law. Many people were still saying that the of the world had not come. In fact there is no end of the world, only end of the age.
bro, you are so completely under the law that you would puke if i told you ok, no offense
your daughter gets raped, your car gets stolen, who you gonna call
world without end, amen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a problem.

I work in higher education, but it irritates me sometimes to hear politicians and social pundits treating a college education almost like a religious obligation. Some of the trades pay quite well, and if there aren't enough jobs requiring that education to go around, it's sad to see college grads working as cashiers. Aren't those 12, 13 or 14 years of school supposed to give people some kind of general education?

A lot of how educated one is has to do with how much one reads. A lot of Americans read a lot with their phones, but third grade comments and emoticons probably don't cut it. Most of them aren't in these forums. A decade and a half ago, 8% of Internet users used discussion forums.

A lot of reading of scripture and especially memorization seems to be good for the mind. I think the KJV is very good for sharpening the cognitive skills, as are some of the other modern translations. Something like Good News or the Message might be less so-- in my opinion at least. The reader may get less impact of the word of God through a filtered, watered down more dynamic than dynamic equivalence translation.

I remember having to read the KJV in the second grade - I went to a KJV only elementary school. I could barely understand what was happening, but the exercise of looking up words really helped my reading comprehension. When I went back to public school the next year, I was miles ahead of everyone

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No, we are not under the law.

We're not under the penalty of the law, but that is only if we no longer sin. Paul admitted that he still sinned which is why he pointed out that he was still 'under the law to Christ'. He still had to rely upon Christ's sacrifice to cover his sins. It is only those who are made a new creation in the New Covenant that are no longer under the law, and that is only because they keep the law perfectly.

Reactions: hermeneutics

hermeneutics

Nov 29, 2019
western arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're not under the penalty of the law, but that is only if we no longer sin. Paul admitted that he still sinned which is why he pointed out that he was still 'under the law to Christ'. He still had to rely upon Christ's sacrifice to cover his sins. It is only those who are made a new creation in the New Covenant that are no longer under the law, and that is only because they keep the law perfectly.

Act_15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
Eph_2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
2Ti_1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Act_15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
Eph_2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Eph_2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
2Ti_1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Everything you posted is true for everyone. You're making my points for me. The law can be divided up by those who keep the law, and those who don't. Those who don't must rely upon the sacrifice of Christ to cover their sins. Those who are conformed to the image of Christ under the New Covenant, don't sin. They are a new creature in Christ, and there is no sin in Christ.

Posting passages of scripture without any explanation as to why you're posting them doesn't work unless you're posting to mind readers. Do you fancy that I'm a mind reader?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We're not under the penalty of the law, but that is only if we no longer sin.
ha cmon you gotta know that if we were to stop sinning for more than about five minutes the Law would be all over us ok.

Just try building a cistern in your basement and catching rainwater to drink, and shutting off your water and power and sewer, and start composting like you should do, and let us know what happened
Paul admitted that he still sinned which is why he pointed out that he was still 'under the law to Christ'. He still had to rely upon Christ's sacrifice to cover his sins.
try Quoting that last part and see what happens though. Paul would never even think of relying on a sacrifice to Yah, wadr, and you are just reading him to your destruction, sorry
It is only those who are made a new creation in the New Covenant that are no longer under the law, and that is only because they keep the law perfectly.
Luke 6:1 Lexicon: Now it happened that He was passing through some grainfields on a Sabbath; and His disciples were picking the heads of grain, rubbing them in their hands, and eating the grain.

satan's dialectic much? i mean are you aware you speak in factoids? which dont get me wrong bam keep doing it ok

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To keep the law perfectly, you would need to never have anger in your heart. To never have anger in your heart, you would need to be completely without any pride or self interest.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To keep the law perfectly, you would need to never have anger in your heart. To never have anger in your heart, you would need to be completely without any pride or self interest.

Not to mention, if we were perfect in keeping the law, why did Jesus have to die? We strive for perfection and repent immediately if we sin as we, well have an advocate with the Father...