Studying the Bible without thinking critically

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Are you two discussing something that pertains to:
2 Corinthians:6-7
"6And He has qualified us as ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7Now if the ministry of death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelite's could not gaze at the face of Moses because of its fleeting glory, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious?…"

Note that Paul isn't referring to the law, but to the "ministry", and to the glory that accompanied it such that they could not gaze at "the face of Moses". Note that it is Moses' face that is covered, rather than the law.

They couldn't see the end of that which was abolished???? It's his face that is covered, not the tablets in his hands. Did you catch that?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You want to hear something trippy? The human eye sees upside down. Literally. The image of what you are looking at enters your eye exactly upside down, but you don't see it that way because something in your brain flips it immediately. It happens in the brain, the mind. I wonder if it's related....

It would not at all surprise me if it were related. Kind reminds me of Epi's upside down theory/view, lol.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I don't think @shnarkle is advocating perfect sinlessness, because that would be encouraging the readers to start judging themselves by their performance... He is simply asking us to read the Bible and believe what God says..

But if based on God's declaration... To not believe it you are calling God a liar.

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
the problem arises when you introduce a scribe, who has chosen to phrase that in such a way that the double entendre is even more hidden.

But surely you can still see that that can be understood more than one way? "Doth not" is being understood as an imperitive, right, even xlated "cannot," but that does not change the fact that sin is a choice and remains one even after one has made solemn declarations.

"Cannot" should surely be understood as more a suggestion or even command, "dont," not "its impossible."

Now one is certainly allowed to interpret that however they like, but if they believe they have ascended to the point that they can no longer sin then i am afraid of them

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You want to hear something trippy? The human eye sees upside down. Literally. The image of what you are looking at enters your eye exactly upside down, but you don't see it that way because something in your brain flips it immediately. It happens in the brain, the mind. I wonder if it's related....
we also have a fairly large blindspot in each eye right? dead center too lol

Einstein might have seen 6% of everything; everyone else together sees about 5, but individually it could only be a fraction of a percent? Or like 2?

B

brakelite

the problem arises when you introduce a scribe, who has chosen to phrase that in such a way that the double entendre is even more hidden.

But surely you can still see that that can be understood more than one way? "Doth not" is being understood as an imperitive, right, even xlated "cannot," but that does not change the fact that sin is a choice and remains one even after one has made solemn declarations.

"Cannot" should surely be understood as more a suggestion or even command, "dont," not "its impossible."

Now one is certainly allowed to interpret that however they like, but if they believe they have ascended to the point that they can no longer sin then i am afraid of them
Oh, I agree. We have a choice most certainly. We may choose to sin, but in doing so we must, at least temporarily, abandon God, for the two cannot coexist. But so long as we remain firmly connected to the vine, then the result is always and can only be good... Can bad fruit come from a good vine or vice versa Jesus challenged. Therefore He said, abide in Me and I in you, that ye may bear much fruit.

KJV Matthew 7
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

KJV Romans 6
19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Note that Paul doesn't say try hard not to sin... He says yield yourselves into God... Let Him do for you what you cannot possibly do for yourself... Live a holy and righteous life in His strength through faith in His word and power.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Oh, I agree. We have a choice most certainly. We may choose to sin, but in doing so we must, at least temporarily, abandon God, for the two cannot coexist.

One cannot temporarily abandon God under the New Covenant. That is only allowable under the Old which provides a sacrificial system pointing to Christ which reconciles us to God.